Eason gets his mind right

Posted by Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 – 2:09 pm

A year ago, newcomer Nick Eason played defensive line — mostly on the inside — at around 325 pounds. And it was too much.

“I thought about last year, how I played,” Eason said. “I thought about my game and a lot of it had to do with me not having myself prepared in the offseason with the lockout. I mean, I worked out, but I didn’t take it to the level I needed to. And when you get to camp, pretty much if you are not in shape then you won’t be in shape to be ready for the season.”

So Eason decided to change. A boxing fan, he was boxing as part of his workouts (and is still doing it once a week) and the pounds started coming off. By the time he showed up to the Cards’ offseason conditioning work, he had shaved 37 pounds off his frame. At 288 pounds, Eason said he wants to play this season about 295 pounds. It was all about being smarter as a 10-year veteran.

There was also a realization last year that he needed to do more after he was forced to start once starting nose tackle Dan Williams broke his arm, after backing up ends Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett most of the season.

“My role changed,” Eason said. “All of a sudden I am starting,” Eason said. “A lot of time when you are running second on the defensive line and (a starter) goes down, you don’t have a backup. Your role triples. You are getting more reps than the starters.

“This year, I hope no one gets hurt, but I will be prepared more than I was last year. Plus I feel better. As you get older you want to be lighter on your joints. I want to take care of my body and play at a level I played at when I was a younger guy.”

Eason said he’s played lighter before, and it worked. “I was in great shape,” Eason said. “Best shape I’ve been in.”

Tags:

26 Responses to “Eason gets his mind right”

1. By shane on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Urban!

Do the rookies ( drafted and undrafted ) get work out with the veterans in cardinals gym and field if they wanted to?

2. By Jesse Robles on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Kudos to Eason, WOW, he looks ready and in a lot better shape than last season.

Not trying to compare but I started laughing when I saw Ryan Lindley’s combine work out, reminded me of Tom Brady. Not saying he is or will be, their combines both were just hysterical.

Michael Floyd is no Tim Brown, but with Floyd being #1 in almost everything at ND, I couldn’t be mad if we received a Tim Brown career from Floyd, considering he was always 1,000 yard receiver with no Qb, just like Fitz.

3. By Blair on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I was logged onto the mobile azcardinals site and noticed that you can not read or post comments. After a little digging I managed to get to the non mobile version of the blog. Dont know if you can but anyone following you on the mobile site are really missing out on the comments part of your blog

4. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Rookies

They will. Not yet. Rookies report beginning with minicamp weekend in two weeks.

5. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Blair –

RE: Mobile comments

Thanks for the heads up.

6. By DontTakeLoses on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Gol dang.. .bravo!!! man, that is exciting. Feeling good about these guys. GO Cards.

7. By cardsfan26 on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren

What does the R mean next to players numbers on the roster?

8. By chevy on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Any word on if Ryan Williams is on pace with his recovery? lmao. Sorry D. I couldn’t resist. Maybe you should add a small section on the home page for frequently asked questions with your response. Would probably cut back on the repetitive responses you keep giving.

9. By Brad Wheeler on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren, do you know if they do drug tests (recreational and performance enhacing) on all rookies? What is the Cardinals drug testing policy for players?

Thanks

10. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Cardsfan26 -

RE: “r”

It means there are offensive players (white practice jerseys) that have the same number, so the “r” means red jersey.

11. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Brad -

RE: drug testing

I am not sure of the rules on that.

12. By Andy Kwong on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will Cameron Chism of Maryland be one of the undrafted free agents signed by the cards? Will he be looked for consideration because Maryland hasn’t been represented a lot and I feel that this CB has a lot of talent.

13. By Andy Kwong on May 1, 2012 | Reply

wait
    never mind, I just looked and Indy picked him up.

14. By in fitz we trust on May 1, 2012 | Reply

eason sucks lol how many career sacks does this 10year vet have?? like 6. we need some young talent to fill in, we need a few more young and fast defensive ends on the roster.

15. By cdubbbbbbb on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

A little off topic, but when is the next Zoom video going to be out? And are you gonna be covering all the workouts players are doing right now with some articles? You do a great job but Im gonna be greedy and ask for more lol because I cant get enough Cardinals.

P.S Your arch enemy (blogger on 49ers.com) is doin work son, lets show him how the Cardinals are better at everything… even sports journalism!!!!

16. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2012 | Reply

cdubb –

RE: Zoom

The next Zoom comes out today.

As for workouts, I will probably have something soon.

17. By cdubbbbbbb on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren, appreciate all your hard work!

18. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

He really saved us in the middle to be honest. Our D-Line was still really good, but we had a young David Carter after Dan went down and Eason filled in nicely. He said he wasn’t even in the greatest shape, so this time around should be even better.

19. By cdubbbbbbb on May 2, 2012 | Reply

@in fitz we trust

Eason is the definition of solid veteran. He is the exact type of vet teams try to find as rotational players, you are completely misinformed and clearly have not followed him throught his career to say he sucks.

20. By in fitz we trust on May 2, 2012 | Reply

@ cdub miss informed? i beleive my numbers were right. my whole point is we need better talent teaching our young guys, not average talent.

21. By drummer-1 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

@in fitz..

He sucks so bad he’s been in the league 10 years, he must really suck…

22. By in fitz we trust on May 2, 2012 | Reply

@ cdub

vonny holiday is the definition of a solid veteran. hes had a solid career with solid career numbers, eason is more of just a body to have in place. would u rather have a veteran like peyton manning to mentor your young qb, or a veteran like billy volek?? thats all i was trying to point out.

23. By Brian on May 3, 2012 | Reply

@ in Fitz

How many of Peyton’s backups have gone on to have solid careers? Jim Sorgi played behind him for years and still couldn’t produce when he was in during mop up duty. Just because a guy puts up solid numbers doesn’t mean he’s going to be a good teacher. Wayne Gretzky did nothing for the Coyotes as a coach and he was the greatest player of all time.

A lot of people would say that players with average talent are better teachers than those with superior talent.

24. By chevy on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Rather have Billy Volek. He would actually teach his disciple. Manning never has. All of his backups have struggled. Not to mention he hates coming out of games so they never get game time experience.

25. By in fitz we trust on May 3, 2012 | Reply

eason has 120 career tackles and 6 sacks over a ten year career. that averaging 12 tackles a year and a little over half a sack. ( less than one tackle a game, less thank one sack a year ) its amazing he been in the league this long. either way u wanna look at it, hes a below average player. not the type of player i would want on my team. i respect your guys opinions and views. it is what it is

2. Jul 16, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | The meaning of training camp