Pondering things on a sad day for the NFL

Posted by Darren Urban on May 2, 2012 – 4:50 pm

With everything going on today with the death of former NFL star Junior Seau, talking about football-related matters seems trivial (especially when I saw the story about a shooting tragedy locally here near where I used to live.) Indeed, before the Seau news broke, even the Saints bounty player suspension news wasn’t exactly uplifting. Interesting in that case that the league said part of the evidence against linebacker Jonathan Vilma was that he offered a $10,000 bounty to knock Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner out of their playoff game in January of 2010. Not that we have to rehash all of that again.

Great and heartfelt anecdote from Saints offensive lineman Eric Olsen about going up against Seau at a football camp when Olsen was a kid. A must-read.

– It was painful to see Seau’s mother trying to deal with this. If you ever think it might be time to give up, always remember there are people close to you that don’t want you to give up.

– I thought Chargers.com did a great job handling the situation.

– Congrats to Steve Keim for his front-office promotion. I’d guess this would help in the future when teams sniff around him for GM work (although it won’t stop it). And it’s a big deal getting Jason Licht back. They liked his work during his first tenure. It never hurts to have someone coming in who already knows how everything operates.

– For those wondering, the Cards had about $2.5 million of salary cap space as of Monday. With the news they have about $4.5 million to use in the rookie pool, they will still need to find more room they should be OK for now. (As Adamjt13 points out in the comments, the Cards actually should already have enough room with the offseason top 51 rule. My bad. He explains it well here, even if I may have been the media guy getting it wrong he was forced to update the article.)

– Finally, this is a great story written by former NFL defensive lineman Trevor Pryce. The next time you wonder why a player wants to “hang on” — or even why they’d subject themselves to an often brutal lifestyle, this is the answer.

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “Pondering things on a sad day for the NFL”

1. By Andy Kwong on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Today is a sad day of the passing of Junior Seau. He will always be remembered. For the Kurt Warner era thing, the Cardinal’s nation will always miss him in the lineup but that era is already done. We have John Skelton and Kevin Kolb on our team!!!!!!!!! I’m hoping the cap space increases.

And Hey Darren,
    Now that we have so much players on our secondary, does it mean that James Sanders is in trouble of losing his backup role? We have Rashad Johnson and Rookie S Justin Bethel.

2. By adamjt13 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

If the Cardinals’ rookie pool number is $4,527,891 and they used seven draft picks, they can’t possibly need more than $1,797,891 of cap room to sign all of their rookies, because of the Top 51 Rule. This post explains why — http://goo.gl/Oqs1c

3. By azfancolo on May 2, 2012 | Reply

A lot of respect for Mr. Seau, a great sportsman and individual always had smile you will be missed #55

4. By Kurt on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Rest in peace Junior Seau, it was amazing to watch him play

5. By Dre on May 2, 2012 | Reply

D what a sad day for the NFL and Seau family . My hart broke for the mother of junior watching that video just made it worse I’m not a cryer but the tears just ran down my face like nothing. I gusses everyone has there demons even the people you look up to as a child.. I’m sure it hit you the same way by the way you wrote that and it was really nice of you to put it in your own words. Thanks d for doing that . May he rest in peace 55 . Great read on pryce story

6. By Peter in Canada on May 2, 2012 | Reply

The Trevor Pryce article is excellent. It puts retirement from football into a grim perspective. I found retirement to be wonderful because I was 55 and had cultivated enough interests by that time so that I could fill my day productively. If I had been forced to retire in my thirties I shudder to think what I would have done.

7. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Adamjt13-

RE: cap/rookie

I knew better. Thinking too much about other things. Thanks for the correction. As soon as I saw your handle, I knew I’d be set straight.

8. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kwong –

RE: Sanders

I think the secondary battle will be one of the most intriguing of camp. We’ll see how it plays out.

9. By William Barry on May 2, 2012 | Reply

This is really a sad day for the Seau Family, and the passing of Junior. He was a great player and a great man off the field too.

On the other hand, its great that Steve Keim has been promoted to VP, of Player Personnel. This brings great stability to the Cardinal organization, and bringing back Jason Licht, is just icing on the cake. Great job, FO.

10. By SteveG on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Junior was one of those guys your eyes were drawn to constantly.

From this far distance, life after football seemed to be just a shadow for him, not “enough”.

Dave Duerson, shot himself in the chest so that his brain could be properly examined, I was brought up short as the reports I read indicated a similar choice was made by Junior. I hope that this choice, while painful, will be used and leads to increased information for all to use wisely.

Life is too short already, we as a nation have lost five soldiers to suicide for every one that died due to battle in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you know a vet, stay in touch, reach out, you just never know.

11. By D on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I live in Gilbert and along with the Seau news, there has been a lot of sadness in the last 24 hrs, it all makes watching/caring about sports very small. It also makes you appreciate your family and life a lot more.

12. By John on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Was Seau’s last season the 2008 season when the cardinals went to new england?

13. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2012 | Reply

John —

RE: Seau

He retired after the 2009 season.

14. By Eazy E on May 4, 2012 | Reply

So sad to see Junior Seau dead. Great player and by all acoounts great person. It was really hard to see his mom and dad like that also .

15. By SteveG on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Addendum.

Junior’s brain is being donated by his family for study.

I really believe that he shot himself in the chest to this end. I can only hope some good comes from such sadness.