Getting some work in

Posted by Darren Urban on May 3, 2012 – 12:56 pm

The Cardinals are in phase two of their offseason work, which includes time spent with coaches on the field with their positional units (save for a little bit of time when the QBs can throw passes to the receivers, tight ends and running backs). No helmets, against air, but after an offseason without any of it, it’s welcome. (I will have a story on the quarterbacks getting work with new QB coach John McNulty later today.)

Right now is about fundamentals, whether it is dropping into coverage for the defensive backs, coming off the snap the right way for the offensive and defensive lines, or running the right routes to catch a pass. It’s about repetition (and, in Patrick Peterson’s case below, jumping for a ball tossed during a warm-up drill.)

The work in this phase goes for another couple of weeks, twice a week, until organized team activities start up. It’s basic, and short, and yet it’s always nice to have something that looks like football come up. It seems like the season ended years ago. Then again, it seems like training camp is right around the corner.

– Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald — who was out there for the workouts today — was ranked the ninth-best player in the NFL in 2011 by profootballfocus.com. Their analysis? Fitz would be even better with better quarterback play. I think that goes without saying.

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Getting some work in”

1. By shane on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Urban

when the time comes do they do any 7 on 7 drills? and whats the chances of you letting me spend the day with you to see what you get to do? thought id ask.

2. By Sir60 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I have nothing but praise for Fitz. With another strong target (Floyd) and strong O-line play, our quarterbacks will have better success.

On another note, look out for Seattle, Russell Wilson will start for them at quarterback. I believe his height is the only thing that kept him out of the second round.

3. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Questions

Can’t do 7 on 7 until OTAs.

As for following me around, if I say yes to you, then I gotta say yes to everyone, and all heck breaks loose.

4. By Mr. Know It All on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Hey D Urban are there any Cards players injured and not able to attend the phase 2 work?

5. By garrett on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Sir60-

You honestly believe they will start Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn next year? Do you know how much they are paying Matt Flynn, and how little they will pay Rusell Wilson, not the mention the fact the Flynn has actually proven that he can play at the NFL level.

6. By Steve on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren: If Kolb can stay healthy this season, are you optimistic or cautiously optimistic that he will improve his numbers over last season?

7. By @bobstroup on May 3, 2012 | Reply

With all the acquisitions so far I am really excited to see the team in action! #cantwait

8. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Know —

RE: Injured

No one is injured. Beanie, Ryan Williams and Greg Toler are not fully participating as they rehab.

9. By WildCard on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren… The cards blog should be Poppin like the NFC West blog on ESPN…. Let Bidwell know… Also the videos seem to be recycled clips from past videos with a different name… What happen to ALL In and ZOOM?… When the intro to a video makes up most of the video then theres a problem.. Just sayin… #Go Cards!!!…

10. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Kolb

Certainly, I think he’s got a shot to improve. But I couldn’t rate my optimism.

11. By cardsalltheway on May 4, 2012 | Reply

“As for following me around, if I say yes to you, then I gotta say yes to everyone…,”
    No worries, the line wouldn’t be that long!

ESPN speculates about the “death of football”…

12. By wsphxcardsfan on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t know you were promoted to the information technology dept.

How will you possibly find the time to fix videos AND counsel Cardinal fans?

=)

13. By Sir60 on May 4, 2012 | Reply

garrett:

Yes, I think it’s possible. In his year at Wisconson, his completion percentage was 68%. He had 33 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He’s very calm in the pocket and runs well when no target is open. If he gets a fair shot in preseason, he will impress Carroll.

14. By Matt on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Any news on the Calais Campbell contract extension?

15. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Campbell

No. I promise I will say something if there is something to say.

16. By CORMAC on May 5, 2012 | Reply

I was just watching the cards work out video…. KOLB is throwing too LOW. Can the coaches please do something about it???? Skelton is so big, he throws pretty high. Bartel does a great overhand throw keeping it high. KOLB is a low line throw. SO LAME. THey need to tear his head off about that. They should put a 8ft wall in front of them with some holes for viewing, and make them throw over that every throw. Now is the time to fix it. NO MORE BATTED DOWN PASSES. COME ON COACHES!!! PUMP IT UP!!!!! GOOO CARDS!!!!!

17. By Mike Ellingboe on May 5, 2012 | Reply

@Cormac,

Kurt Warner didn’t have the traditional, over-the-top release either. I’d place far more emphasis on his reads/grasp of the offense, which, with an off-season and the first year out of the way should be much better.

18. By cormac on May 6, 2012 | Reply

@mike.

I daresay he is no Kurt Warner. It seemed in the few games he played that he had more batted down passes than Skelton. I could be wrong. BUT is it too late to work on his passing skills? Is he uncoachable? He is a bit young to be set in his ways. Retrain him, he needs it.

19. By Mike Ellingboe on May 6, 2012 | Reply

@Cormac,

I daresay Bartel and his over-the-top throwing motion never becomes anything more than a third-string QB. Once our roster is finalized he may not even be that.

Point being, the great QB’s aren’t great because of their throwing motions. Warner, Rivers, Kosar, etc., all have/had motions that could be picked apart. Jeff George threw, arguably, the best looking pass ever. Leadership, accuracy/footwork, and reading defenses are far more important, and things I’m sure Kolb is open to being coached up on. Agree he (and our other QB’s) need training, but no less an authority than Troy Aikman feels it’s a mistake to mess with throwing motions once a QB has reached this level. I’ve seen nothing to contradict his thoughts on that.

20. By Cobra on May 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike Ellingboe

I agree with you. It’s hard to change a throwing motion with a QB to that extent. It’s hard enough to throw a spiral consistently when you think you have it down. Aikman was one of the best, Hall of Fame.

@ Cormac

I would rather see Kolb throw low than high. We don’t need any medicine balls for the recievers. Way to many last year from both QBs. Sorry coach Cormac, didn’t mean to bust your bubble.

21. By CORMAC on May 7, 2012 | Reply

@MIKE

I understand and respect your views Mike. I am in no way saying put Skelton or Bartel in over KOLB. KOLB is the best Quarterback we have in my opinion and I only want him to get better, not get rid of him….. What I am saying is, he CAN get better. The issues I have seen can be worked out in practice. ONE. to learn the offense better, which practice will help. TWO, get in sync with his recievers better, which practice will help. THREE , get the ball out quicker, which all of the above will help. FOUR , improved O line performance. FIVE practice his throwing techniques, such as footwork and over the top release.

Even Kurt Warner had the coaches trying to improve his game. Most players can improve. LOOK at FITZ. He is constantly trying to get better. Haley pushed him to be a all around reciever. Kolb just needs to improve on a few minor things. THROWING too low is one of them. You just cannot do that in the NFL. He has never reached THE LEVEL you are talking about, he has been on the bench most of the time. It will be a few years starting all the time before he can gain any traction in his game. He is only average, when I think he can be great…….
    QUOTE OF THE DAY

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
    Alexander the Great

22. By Mike Ellingboe on May 7, 2012 | Reply

@Cormac,

“I understand and respect your views Mike”

Likewise, it sounds like we’re at about 99% agreement, just differ on whether his throwing motion should be adjusted. Everything else you said, no debate from me on that. I used Warner, Rivers, Kosar as examples that the throw can be released low, and effectively, at this level. Not to say Kolb belongs on that list for any other reason (yet).