• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Tall tales from the Northwest(?)

Posted by Darren Urban on May 4, 2012 – 3:10 pm

OK, I couldn’t let this one go: Seattle-based ESPN West blogger Mike Sando tweeted out today that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said new guard and former Card Deuce Lutui is now a vegan.

Sando admitted he didn’t believe it at first — Carroll did say Lutui had reported at 208 pounds, so obviously the coach was having some fun — but that when asked to clarify, Carroll stuck to his vegan claim. (Mike’s full take can be found here.) I told one person down in the Cardinals’ locker room today that out of every player I have ever covered with the team in 10-plus years, Deuce would be the last guess to go vegan. The idea was met with a raised eyebrow or two from a couple of the players to which I mentioned it.

Carroll said Lutui’s weight is “way down.” Good for Deuce. Maybe he finally gets it. He always insisted he could play heavier, a belief that clearly made it tough for him to accept what the coaching staff wanted from him weight-wise. Maybe last year’s deal with the Bengals and issues in Arizona got through to him. It’s just too bad it took so long, and watching how his season progresses in Seattle will definitely be something with which to pay attention.

UPDATE: Well, his agent confirms Lutui is, in fact, a vegan. Wow. And now Deuce himself is talking.

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “Tall tales from the Northwest(?)”

1. By Ezz on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I can’t say i can blame our staff for giving up on him since they gave him every chance they could, but it still hurts to see him in Seattle, especially since he’s a better player than the one we got to replace him. That’s life in the NFL though.

2. By Rich on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Deuce is a cool guy ….. but NOT a responsible guy. Whatever his situation is now, it will eventually deteriorate. Glad to have had him, and glad to see him somewhere else.

3. By Mike Ellingboe on May 4, 2012 | Reply

@Darren,

Just for clarification, Carroll does know there’s a significant difference between trying vegetables for the first time and being a vegan, right?

4. By Maskin on May 4, 2012 | Reply

@Rich

Cant agree with you more, cant wait to see what happens when Dockett has to go against him.

5. By brad oneill on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Seattle is going to get an even better Duece than the one we lost, it looked to me like that year on the bench matured him, and had him burning to do what it took to play, now he has something to prove to his new team in addition to having something to prove to our coaches. I really wish his situation had been handled better all the way back to him being put at second string for the entire camp 2 years ago which I believe hurt our lines chance to gel when he finally was moved back to starter right before the season started.

I hope he has a great career, and I hope he keeps the weight off not just for football but for a happy healthy post nfl life.

6. By mrseaballs on May 4, 2012 | Reply

It’s not known at this time if he was joking or serious. Word from camp is his weight was down though.

7. By JohnfromOz on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Not much bulk building protein in a carrot……….

8. By JRock on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I think he was joking when he said that Deuce was 208 pounds you can’t play Guard at that Weight but it wouldn’t surprise me if he finally got it.

9. By Richard on May 5, 2012 | Reply

On a slightly different weight related note, any information on Dan Williams’ off season weight this year? Does he look like “he gets it”?

10. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Richard –

RE: Dan Williams

11. By shannon robinson on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Thanks for the workout pics – the entire photo array gets us fans involved as if we were there. Comparing the footwork of Adam Snyder and Lyle and Levi was fun to check. Also noticed Russ had his boys working in the shade – excellence has to have its traditions. We all have high hopes for this offensive line reshuffle which is no small deal. Once again I emphasize the Cards got an extra pick in this draft – former fourth round draft choice of the Dallas Cowboys from Texas Tech Brandon Williams who is in his third NFL year transitioning from DE to OLB – it normally takes that long for the light to go on, in such a challenging change of roles. In the picture he looks good with the headgear. Best of luck to Deuce – does he know fish aren’t vegetables? I bet he does well with a change of scenerey.

12. By Dan Watts on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Maybe Deuce needed to get away from his family, and all the ingrained habits of the past, in order to make a radical change in his life. For his own good, I’d love to see him come out mean and lean at around 295, and have an all-pro year. Go Deuce!

13. By clssylssy on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Seattle is a trendie town and vegetarian, vegan diets go right along with Burkenstocks worn with wool socks, Scientology, etc. I’ve had kids, nieces, nephews all go through that phase and return to a love of steak, pot roast, hamburbgers, brats, Mexican food, pizza and McDonalds. When asked why they became vegetarian/vegans, none can really remember other than it was a phase that didn’t make them any more healthy or spiritual. I like Deuce, hope that his yo-yo dieting doesn’t have longterm ill effects and can’t imagine him being much of a threat at 208. Looking at most linemen who are in the+300 club I don’t think losing all that weight will necessarily translate into being fit, muscle weighs more than fat. Good luck to Deuce, I think his old coach Pete Carroll will know how to help him to the maximize his abilities. . By the time regular season rolls around he’ll probably be enjoying a big steak!

14. By CZarr on May 5, 2012 | Reply

There’s also a significant difference between being vegan and being a vegetarian. I can’t imagine an NFL player actually being able to perform on that type of diet.

15. By Cobra on May 5, 2012 | Reply

@ all Deuce Litui fans:

That bird doesn’t feed in Az. anymore. He will remember his old D-Line from the cards when they meet again and they kick his ass.

Someone please show him where the beef is in Seattle. I think he’s lost!

Did he get a tour? Sushi, to fish, to vegies, to whatever.

LB and Safety should make a most special visit to him on their way to seeing Mr. Flynn.

16. By Chris Lewis on May 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m sure you mean 308 lbs. for Lutui not 208 Darren.

17. By Darren Urban on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Chris Lewis –

RE: Lutui 208

Carroll was joking. But he indeed said 208 pounds.

18. By Richard on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for your reply to my post,Darren, but I was hoping for something more up to date than a link to an article two and a half months old. A lot can happen in that amount of time!

19. By Skiptim on May 6, 2012 | Reply

So you guys finally fixed that exploit that let us skip through the 15 second video advertisements, eh Darren?

Touche, Darren… touche indeed.

20. By Eazy E on May 6, 2012 | Reply

A Vegan??? Wow!!!

21. By Eazy E on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Deuce, come on back to the meat! You don’t want to eat non-animals for the rest of your life, SERIOUSLY!!!

22. By Darren Urban on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Richard -

RE: “a lot can happen”

Actually, usually a lot doesn’t happen in the dead of he offseason. Not sure why you’d think anything would change between then and now. If anything significant did change, I’d say something.

23. By Brent on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Any word yet on the Cards signing their draft picks to deals?

24. By brad oneill on May 6, 2012 | Reply

since kolb is our second round draft pick this year, I think it is only fair that he attend rookie camp.

25. By Ericzona on May 6, 2012 | Reply

There’s NO WAY Deuce is a Vegan! Vegan’s can’t eat anything derived from an animal (cheese, milk, etc). If in face he has been ona Vegan diet, IT WON’T LAST! Nice story though

26. By dennis on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Deuce ate his way out of Arizona and I bet a dollar to donuts he does the same thing in Seattle.

27. By azcards24 on May 7, 2012 | Reply

i bet you Deuce was probably trying to tell everyone he was a vegitarian and just didn’t know what the hell he was talkin about.

28. By RizzenEsc on May 7, 2012 | Reply

You can go suck an eggplant Duece….

29. By Ezz on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Do you see Brandon Keith getting another chance in the league? I doubt anybody valued him as much as the Cards did and they let him go so i don’t think that bodes well for his future unfortunately.

30. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Ezz –

RE: Keith

I don’t know what will happen with Brandon.

31. By emm7777 on May 7, 2012 | Reply

People can say what they want, but Deuce could play. He was arguably our best o-lineman when we played him. We won’t know anything until the season starts. Our staff makes me shake my head sometimes, but I’m sure everyone in every NFL city feels that way at times.
    Thanks for the great work, Darren.

32. By Scott H on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Great…he’s gone from the Cardinals for about 2 days and NOW he gets it??? Really? Why did that seem REALLY likely? I swear, I thought he was done getting on my damn nerves…

33. By tb116 on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I saw him the other day and he is looking good,Maybe 340 is a more accurate weight.Hes lost but the boy will never be 295.He is motivated and ready to play…He did not move in fact hes staying in AZ and just up in WASH for the season..He is a good guy and i wish he would have stayed as a Card but the fit here just didnt work…I still think we will beat seatle ,with or without him..Go Cards