Ryan Williams: “I’m not worried at all”

Posted by Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 – 9:47 am

Ryan Williams knows there are people who doubt he can return to form this season after his patella tendon ruptured last year, ruining his rookie season. He knows, ultimately, he can’t prove anything until the season starts.

“I kind of feel like the most anticipated player of the year, and (fans) haven’t even seen anything but a couple weeks of training camp,” the running back said.

Williams is the guy who craves football. His biggest fear isn’t coming back from this injury, but being cut from the team. The rehab is just another hurdle in a life full of hurdles. Williams isn’t going to guarantee anything, but he comes about as close to that line as he can without stepping over, and he acknowledges his confidence in what he can do in 2012 is plentiful.

“Nothing was ever easy for me,” Williams said. “Coming from where I came from, I had to get out of that area. … I was the one who always had to prove to everyone not to put me on the backburner. Don’t doubt me and I will make you a fan. I had to work my butt off for everything.

“This situation, I’m not going to say it was fun to go through, but it’s nothing. I believe in myself and I believe I will be back. I asked (head athletic trainer) Tom (Reed), and I trust Tom and I feel he will be honest with me, and I asked, ‘Do you think I will be 100 percent?’ He said ‘I feel you will be better than you were before.’ “

Now, part of Reed’s job is helping players mentally return as much as physically. Encouragement is part of the process. But Williams clearly believes in himself.

“I still have time,” Williams said. “I am running and cutting and doing things I didn’t think I’d be doing this early. I’m not worried about it.”

The Cardinals must have confidence. Even though Williams went through what he went through — and starter Beanie Wells is still rehabbing from his own knee surgery — the Cards didn’t draft a running back nor sign an undrafted rookie. There’s always a chance that could come (it seems likely the Cards will at least get another body for OTAs and maybe minicamp) but there has to be a belief Williams will be there by camp and ready to go.

“Coach (John) Lott always puts a bug in my ear,” Williams said. “He keeps it honest too. He said, ‘If you don’t take this opportunity and take it full throttle, I promise next year we are going to (draft) a running back. If you do, we won’t see another running back for a couple years. It’s up to you.’ Some people get nervous with stuff like that, but not me. I love challenges like that.

“Man, I’m not worried at all. I’m telling you, I feel so good about what’s about to happen this year, no one can tell me different.”

Tags: , , ,

40 Responses to “Ryan Williams: “I’m not worried at all””

1. By Jesse on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I really wish the best for Ryan, his attitude is great.
    Having him and Toler back this season should really help us out on both sides of the ball.

@Darren
    It is inferred that Ryan Williams is not 100% yet, is there a time table? I know that it is all very speculative but he is expected to be ready by traning camp, correct?

2. By Erik on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Very Confident and Commited. Do you know what his time was at the Combine in the 40yd

3. By cdubbbbbbb on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Good to see the faith this kid has. I think us fans believe in him just as much as he believes in himself. We were definately teased last year when we got to see him explode in training camp and preseason, only to be on IR for the whole season. This guy was no joke at VT, he had one of the best years I personally have ever seen from a college RB and I was hyped when we drafted him. Cant wait to watch him this season…. and even if he comes back at only 75% what he used to be, we will have ourselves a damn fine RB!

4. By Nate on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Lott is a scary dude and Williams is saying the right stuff. Could you imagine if a manager at a Starbucks talked to the barista like that? They would all quit! I feel like if Williams gets cut he would still have a good year.

5. By John on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Do you think wells and r. williams could be like foster and tate?

6. By BigTom on May 7, 2012 | Reply

You may have posted this somewhere, but do we have dates for Flagstaff Training camps this year?

7. By AndyStandsUp on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Cards have Williams, Wells, LaRuSH, Alonso Smith and William Powell as RBs right now. Do they need more in an league where the runner is being devalued?

8. By beardinals on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Looking forward to good things from him. Good Luck 34.

9. By wonderingwhy on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Go for it lil sweetness. One door closes and another opens my friend.

10. By dstock on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Great attitudes fulfill great accomplishments ….. Excited to have him back!!

11. By BFrye on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Man I look forward to seeing him play again. Didn’t see much – but what I saw was great. Keep it up Ryan! Going to be a great year!

12. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Jesse —

RE: Camp

Yes, he is expected to be ready for camp.

13. By Brent on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Good to see. Hopefully his confidence turns into results on the field!

14. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Erik —

RE: Combine 40 for Williams

4.59

15. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

John —

RE: Comparisons

No idea. Let’s see what Williams can do on the field first.

16. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

BigTom —

RE: Camp dates

Usually those don’t come out until next month.

17. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: More RBs

Do they need more in-season? No, not if they assume health. But there is a chance Williams and Wells won’t be doing all/some of the offseason pre-camp work, and you need bodies to run practices/OTAs.

18. By LUKE on May 7, 2012 | Reply

im really looking forward to seeing williams run this year.good for him for workin so hard!

19. By Andy Kwong on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How healthy is Ryan Williams? And is Alfonzo Smith the number 3 running or 4?

20. By Andy Kwong on May 7, 2012 | Reply

And Hey Darren,
    Will Rob Housler be the starting Tight End this season or anytime in the future?
    Is it true that Skelton and Kolb will be competing for the starting job?
    Will Bobby Massie start at right tackle without competition?
    Will Doucet and Roberts compete for the #3 role at wide receiver?
    Will Dan Williams and David Carter compete for starting NT role since Carter did well last season?
    Will Greg Toler, A.J Jefferson, Jamel Fleming, and William Gay compete for the starting job at CB?
    Will Justin Bethel be the Safety of the future?
    How will we be able to sign some of the rookies with so little cap space left?
    Will O’Brien Schofield, Daryl Washington, and Sam Acho be the official starting Linebackers in the 2012 season?
    Will Clark Haggans and Hamza Abdullah be signed back?
    Will Quan Studirvant be the 4th starter at Linebacker in the 2012 season?
    And to you, who do you think will be a surprise player and just name 1 or 2 although there are many?

21. By Brian on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I was really bummed when he went down last pre-season. From what players and coaches have said and the way they all reacted to his injury you could tell they think this kid is special. I’m glad he has the attitude that he does. Makes you pull for a guy who doesn’t want anything handed to him and wants to work his tail off for everything. If he can come back even stronger, then I’m excited for our running game with him and Beanie.

Is it football season yet?

22. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kwong —

RE: Questions

I assume this is really you asking all these things. I’ve addressed many of these things already, and others are not able to be answered right now.

23. By DontTakeLoses on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I love this guy!

24. By brad oneill on May 7, 2012 | Reply

andy i will answer them
    Rob Housler will not be starter but may take it by mid season
    Kolb has the job now but whiz isnt afraid to put in the better player
    Bob Massie will have to earn his spot more so than others because he is a rookie but he had a ton of games in college.
    Roberts is slot Duecett is going to be in 4 wide receiver sets
    Carter was unexpectedly great Dan showed a little laziness coming in out of shape last year will be a great battle.
    Greg Toler is starter others will challenge but not going to beat him out.
    Justin Bethel has some big shoes to fill, can he grow into them?
    Calais will come to terms on a contract that will free cap space.
    Darrel washington is a lock, Sam Acho looked great, but Obrien schofield still has something to prove before he becomes starter.
    Clark Haggens and Hamza Abdullah have a good chance of returning.
    Quan Sturdivant will not start, he may come off bench if he has improved significantly if he cant get off practice squad its probably his last year here.
    Surprise player is going to be Obrien Schofield the guy is all motor and now that he has had time to get play book down I expect him to make a lot of highlight reels before year is over. (he is a dangerous stripper and sacker) Another possible surprise could be stephen Williams. I dont know what happened last year but if he gets it together he could easily be a sideline threat that could pick up some big chunks while defenses try and figure out what FItz, floyd and Roberts are doing crossing the middle like the blue angels.

25. By beardinals on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Let’s do this!

26. By Eazy E on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I like Ryan more and more every time he talks and interviews. He is a positive dude and really confident which I love. I remember seeing him on ESPN’s First Take when the draft was coming up and he was so cool and down to earth. He even said he would give the interviewer a couple dollars from his contract LOL!!!

27. By Gogogocards on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren – are there any examples of a top tier player coming back from a patella? I can’t think of any greats.

Like everyone else, I love this kid, I’m hoping he can come in and be a regular, superstar or not.

28. By Craig on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Williams is going to put this team on his back and carry them through the playoffs. His legs and knees will be stronger than before and enough to carry the whole team. This kid knows how to work. He has a hell of a work ethic. A taste for football that he had to wait a year for (which is an eternity for him). It’s going to be Ryan #1 and Beanie picking the slack. Hate to say it because I love Beanie, but watch Ryan go.

29. By Nate on May 7, 2012 | Reply

“Crossing the middle like the blue angels”

30. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Gogo –

RE: examples

None I know of.

31. By cardsalltheway on May 8, 2012 | Reply

brad oneill,
    “Greg Toler is starter others will challenge but not going to beat him out.”

I don’t think so. He definitely will not start the first game of the season.

“Coach (John) Lott always puts a bug in my ear,” Williams said. “He keeps it honest too. He said, ‘If you don’t take this opportunity and take it full throttle, I promise next year we are going to (draft) a running back.”

I didn’t know John Lott was the Draft Decider.

32. By Mike Ellingboe on May 8, 2012 | Reply

@Gogo,

Might be a stretch to call him top tier, but Cadillac Williams has torn both of his patellar tendons and is still in the league, nearly winning the 2009 comeback player of the year award (some QB named Brady beat him out, go figure). I think the key with his namesake will be not to rush him if he’s not ready. It wasn’t long after Cadillac returned from his right knee tear that he tore up the left one.

33. By Gogogocards on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Mike – perfect example! Thanks

34. By Jmpautz on May 8, 2012 | Reply

He don’t have to be! All he said was u better take this opportunity cuz they don’t come along often. Another words, u either have the drive or u don’t…. I challenge you cuz you are special kid. He knows lil sweetness’ attitude and he went after it like like a honey badger to get his mind right. You go Ryan!!!! I CAN’T fricken wait!

35. By William Barry on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I love our RB’s, with Ryan and Beanie…what a great 1-2 punch….Young Ryan has a great attitude, which will really help Beanie too!!!!

36. By Sean on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I doubt that Cardinals players read these comments, but if so, I want to wish Ryan Williams good health and a great season.

Good luck #34!

2. May 7, 2012: NFL Rumors : NFL Draft : NFLTradeRumors.co Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams On The Mend | NFL Trade Rumors
  3. May 7, 2012: Arizona Cardinals Ryan Williams says he’s ‘running and cutting’ | Sports, News, Entertainment, US Legislation
  4. May 18, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Beanie working his way back
  5. Jul 23, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Williams wants to be “irreplaceable”