Pushed by Fitz

Posted by Darren Urban on May 9, 2012 – 11:54 am

The other day, running back Ryan Williams was finishing up with his three sets on the military press — 10 reps each with 50-pound dumbbells — when veteran receiver Larry Fitzgerald told Williams he wasn’t done yet. There would be three more sets, with the 80-pound dumbbells.

“He don’t let me slack at all,” Williams said. “When I say I love working with Fitz and I hate it at the same time, I mean, that’s the best way I could put it.

“I did three more sets of 80 with him. That’s the stuff I’m talking about. To have someone do that, who’s been in the game for a minute, I don’t care who your favorite is. You can’t leave Fitzgerald out. That’s how I want to be.”

Fitzgerald isn’t the only veteran doing such things. There are reasons so many of the defensive backs look like they’ve added muscle, and one of them is having veteran Adrian Wilson looking their way and insisting they continue to work hard even in the offseason. You really don’t want to let down A-Dub.

But for Fitz, pushing his teammates is about more than just leadership. Or even about making the team better. It’s about making Fitz — who leaves tomorrow to Malaysia on a Starkey hearing mission — better too.

“I’m just an extremely self-motivated person, that’s all,” Fitzgerald said. “Every day I am trying to run faster, jump higher, lift more. I have always been that way. Especially young guys like (Williams) … yesterday Patrick Peterson, we had a squat competition. I do it with (receivers) DeMarco Sampson, Jaymar (Johnson). I am into that. I love the competition, no matter if it is on the field, the basketball gym, the bowling alley, competition always makes the cream rise to the top. So I love to compete.”

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Pushed by Fitz”

1. By SteveG on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Disappoint Adub by being lazy? No, I don’t see that as a healthy lifestyle for a Card.

2. By D on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Would love get as many frequent flyer miles as what Larry does an offseason-

If anyone wonders why the Cards staffed up this offseason with secondary players, you just have to go to profootballfocus to see the real numbers of 2011 Cornerback rush stops. I now know why Horton said Marshall was his MVP last year.
    (I also think they want to find a future replacement of Adub when he wants to retire, R. Johnson future still in limbo and maybe a salary dump with Rhodes)

3. By samir on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren, have the cardinals signed any rookies yet?

4. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Samir —

RE: Rookies signed

5. By drstiegler on May 9, 2012 | Reply

The more I hear from R.W. the more I like him. Fitz is a stud! I’m gonna go to the gym now….

6. By carlo milano on May 9, 2012 | Reply

DARREN

WHY THE CARDINALS ARE THE LAST TEAM SIGNING ROOKIES??

7. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Rookies

Settle down. All rookies will be around for minicamp, even without contracts. They don’t have to be signed yet. Just like every year.

There is no reason to rush.

8. By carlo milano on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    how is rookie mini.camp–coach are allowed to work with them. do u know who is coming for a try out??

9. By Darren Urban on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Minicamp

Yes, coaches will be working with them. They are normal minicamp-type practices. The tryout list has not been released.

10. By drummer-1 on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Everybody else is doing it, why can’t we?

11. By Andy Kwong on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Right now, in my opinion, there will be 2 players that the cards drafted that will go to the practice squad: G Senio Kelemente and QB Ryan Lindley. Both are phenomenal players but if you give them a year or 2 in the practice squad, they will definitely develop into franchise players. Ryan Lindley fits Cleveland and Senio fits Seattle. All of the rookie free agents we signed will most likely be released except LB Colin Parker, WR Isaiah Williams, LB Quan Studurivant, and 2 others that will probably fight for a spot on the roster and a starting role. I expect a productive season in the QB, RB, WR, and TE positions. Skelton should be able to win the starting job and pass for over 4000yds and over 25TD. If Kolb starts, similar stats but maybe more turnovers because of his inability to pass under pressure which is Skeltons strong suit. Fitzgerald probably will have over 100 receptions with at least 1500yds and 12TDs. Floyd should have at least 70 receptions with at least 1000yds and 8TD. Doucet should have at least 40 receptions and at least 600yds and 4TD. Roberts should have at least 30 receptions with 400yds and 2TDs. RB Wells will reach at least 800yds and 8TDs and Williams will probably have at least over 700yd and 5TDs. Jeff King and Todd Heap will have similar stats of over 30 receptions and 300-500yds a piece and 2TDs. Rob Housler will be the break out star in a few games and will show some flashes of greatness (around 200yds and 1TD). Should be a great season for both the offense and the defense. Peterson will have at least 3 punt returns for a touchdown.

12. By Cactus jeff on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Andy
    I agree, the Floyd pick just feels like it fits Skelton’s strong arm. Also agree, Housler will have a great year and Doucet will benefit the most with the Floyd pick. Disagree with Ryan Williams outlook, look for him to have great year 2013

13. By Rio on May 9, 2012 | Reply

The guy (two comments) above me here must be on some type of drug , i just hope he is not driving tonight.

14. By formerAzesident on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Yes can’t wait for football. And also go Coyotes! !

15. By Jeremiah on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Bold statements Andy, but I’m gonna have to disagree about Skelton. Kolb had better numbers last year than Skelton did and if he stays healthy this year I would imagine he will be the starter all year.

16. By sackman on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Since we opened the door on Quarterbacks. One thing I think would help John Skelton get over the top of Kolb, is he needs to learn how to run with the ball. The last 2 seasons I watched Skelton get flushed out of the pocket with either 1 or no defensive players in front of him and he still would pass the ball between defenders, when all he had to do is tuck the ball in and run for the first down or even more. Instead he was throwing incompletes or interceptions. When he learns how to run with the ball then the receivers will get open, because teams will start respecting his run ability. I do like Skelton over Kolb because he can take the hits he is a big guy. Kevin Kolb reminds me of ML because he is more fragile, and 1 more hit to the head is too big of risk for me. We shouldn’t be investing our future with somebody with that big of risk. Just a thought. I wish only the best for whomever our quartback is! Go Cards!!!