Campbell gets his contract

Posted by Darren Urban on May 10, 2012 – 4:31 pm

As promised, Calais Campbell has a new long-term contract.

The news just came down that the franchise tagged defensive end and the Cardinals have agreed on a new five-year contract, locking up Campbell through 2016 and making sure one of the anchors of the defense stayed put. Not that Campbell wasn’t going to be around in 2012 anyway, but this puts to rest the teeth-gnashing that Campbell could turn into Karlos Dansby the sequel. Campbell is now in place with a defensive line that saw good rookie progress in nose tackle David Carter, some hope in the play of nose tackle Dan Williams before he was hurt, and veteran Darnell Dockett.

More importantly, Campbell will enter his prime years with the Cardinals. Four years into his career, he played better (as did the whole defense) as the season went along last year. And the deal getting done now means Campbell will be back with his teammates quickly and certainly isn’t going to miss any OTAs or minicamp. The timing worked out well.

The other part of this? The last four players the Cardinals kept saying publicly they would soon be extending — Adrian Wilson, Dockett, Larry Fitzgerald and now Campbell — all got their extensions. Something to remember when analyzing what the team says about future players.

Tags: , , ,

43 Responses to “Campbell gets his contract”

1. By SteveG on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Excellent news…..

2. By Jesse on May 10, 2012 | Reply

#PAID THE MAN

3. By Brad on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Great news! Is it a monster deal? My guess is at least 40M with 30 guaranteed.

4. By AZLOGAN05 on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Best news I’ve heard all day!
    Question for you Darren, other then Fitz how long are AW and Dockett signed for??
    Thanks

5. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Azlogan —

RE: Wilson/Dockett

Wilson’s contract runs through 2013. Dockett through 2015.

6. By Bobcat on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I am so happy that we sign him to a new contract
    This kid is on great player and person.

7. By beardinals on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Thank the Lord o Mighty!

8. By Ron on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Great News today thank you!! Now that we have signed Campbell. How much cap room do we have now to sign our rookies and valuable vets?

9. By Andy Kwong on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Great!! Next, Michael Floyd

10. By Kurt on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully the draft picks will follow suit, this is promising to be a great year for Cardinal football

11. By Eric on May 10, 2012 | Reply

As Professor Farnsworth would say, “Good news everyone!”

Campbell has been a steal and a true undercard! (underdog + cardinal). He is a gifted athlete and a bonus to the D. Glad we kept him. I hope he retires a Cardinal. He reminds me a little of Eric Swann, unheralded and overlooked, but very valuable to the D line. Swann is my fav all-time Cardinals D lineman and Campbell is becoming my 3rd behind Dockett.

12. By in fitz we trust on May 10, 2012 | Reply

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

13. By Mary bone on May 10, 2012 | Reply

WoooHoooo!!!!!! Fantastic news, one less position to worry about. An outstanding DE, but more importantly an OUTSTANDING example to our youth. VERY happy with the direction “My Cardinals” have gone these past few years while other teams in the NFL end up in the papers with one scandal after another we have an outstanding caliber of young men representing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By John on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Campbell deserved every penny of however much his deal is worth. He’s a leader inside and out of the locker room, and is an anchor for our defense that will remain for many years to come!

15. By Brian on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Interested to see the numbers. Heard he was looking for Charles Johnson type figures. Glad this got done even if it’s at that cost. Our front seven is set to be ridiculous this year if Acho and OBScho can build off of their seasons and DWash and Lenon continue to play at a high level. Bradley will have an offseason to get educated and hopefully have a chip on his shoulder for having to take a pay cut. Combined with all the additions in the defensive backfield, I can see a top 10 if not top 5 defense this year.

16. By WhySoSer on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I like it. Can’t wait to see the rookies now.

17. By Blake Allen Murphy on May 10, 2012 | Reply

How will this affect the salary cap? I’m assuming it will mean there’s more to work with. Could this mean Arizona might be able to sign another Free Agent left on the market or would it more likely be used for signing Haggans/Holliday and the rookies?

18. By CardsInChile on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Living in Chile is an interesting experience……. I can confidently say that I’m the most excited person in the whole country about this Calais 5-year deal!!!!!

Thanks for broadcasting Cardinals news and updates to the universe.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!

19. By Gil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

this just says a lot of good things about this new franchise good news!

20. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Ron —

RE: Cap room

No idea. Don’t even know Campbell details yet.

21. By wayne on May 10, 2012 | Reply

55 million for five years, 36 million the first three, yes I am glad we signed Campbell but did we overpay him to keep him here ? I dont think he would of recieved this kind of money somewhere else.

Thanks,
    Wayne

22. By Darren Urban on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Wayne —

RE: Campbell

$11M a year is the going rate for young, star-in-waiting DL. I want to see all the details, but that isn’t surprising.

23. By ben on May 11, 2012 | Reply

yeah i was a teeth gnasher but that dont bother me none
    DIE HARD CARDS FAN

24. By vegas4u2012. on May 11, 2012 | Reply

THIS IS ONE WAY TO GAIN RESPECT!As they say “attitude is everything”.the talent was already there.alot of people were talking about the past,But losers dwell on the past.WInners dwell on the present & the future!-Watch out 49ers & the rest of the NFL,Because we are coming after you!Can’t wait for flagstaff/games to start. GO BIG RED!

25. By Rugbymuffin on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Awesome.

The biggest move of this offseason by far, and make the offseason a success. This will carry over for the next few years, and allow the Caridnals to take care of other area.

Kudos to the Cardinals organization for getting it done.

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. Great news.

26. By Corgon on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Nicccccce!
    Now Master Horton has every weapon to forge a monster defense. Please Kevin start to perform, don’t run around the field, just give the ball to Larry and Co.!
    I have very good feelings about the next season!

27. By az1965 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job, FO!!

28. By joe67 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Good news. Good message to the rest of the players, and to the rest of the league about what this franchise is trying to do.
    I just hope his performance doesn’t drop off like so many NFL’ers do after signing a big contract. Here’s hoping it doesn’t.
    Way to go, Front Office Staff!!

29. By Dre on May 11, 2012 | Reply

O hell yeah

30. By Matt b on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Good move cardinals I am having more faith in the cards good teams keep there core players and the cardinals are starting to become that team go cards

31. By cardsalltheway 2 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, 5 years is OK, but why couldnt they sign him for 6?

32. By samir on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Darren rotoworld said the contract is 5 year 55 million with 36 of those in the first three years http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4628/calais-campbell

33. By Jason on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Well done FO! This guy is key on ST and D. Love this guys heart and persona.
    Looking forward to seeing CC develop into a probowler this year.

34. By Dave Chaney on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Bravo! As I have stated over and over again…this die hard Big Red fan from 1960 (yes you read that correctly) has lived through the many, many years of management continually letting the heart and soul of our future take the free agent road. It is such a pleasure to see the opposite approach taken and I think it is very realistic for all of us die hard fans to expect bigger and better things to develop in the future. Thank you Bidwill family and their staff. It’s Christmas early this year in Arizona.

35. By cards62 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

$ 55 million is a lot and a risk, but I think it is a good risk for the Cardinals.
    Way to go front office. CC stay hungry. If we can get some help from our NT and OLBs I think DD and CC will have monster years.

Go Cards!

36. By mal on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Dave Chaney-

Yeah, me too. I grew up in Illinois rooting for the Cards, and moved to AZ a few years before them. At that time, they were talking about moving the team to LA, so I was really surprised and thrilled when they followed me to AZ.

The Bidwills always said they needed a city to help get them a stadium in order for them to be competitive. I think its all to Micheal Bidwills credit — he took over, they got their stadium, and by gosh he kept his word. Step by step, little by little, he’s building the foundation of a franchise we can be proud of.

37. By drummer-1 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

@ mal…

I use to live in St. Louis and moved out to Az. in 85 and the cardinals came in 88, so they followed me out here… What the heck they follwed both of us… lol

38. By Richard S. on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Thank you for staying Calais. Thank you Cardinals for keeping him. Right now, I’d rate him as the best player on the team. Best news of the off-season.

39. By Eazy E on May 15, 2012 | Reply

This is fantastic news! Calais got what he deserved. I was saying he should get close to Dockett money or Dockett money. 11 million a year is worth it for a great player at DE. Props to the Cardinals FO for getting it done before the mandatory minicamps/OTAs kicked off.

40. By Lakeysha J. on May 17, 2012 | Reply

He deserves all that he is getting. I keep up with him. He is one of the most under-rated players in the game right now. He is a hard worker on and off the field. Congrats to you Campbell and I can’t wait to see your performance next season!

41. By William Barry on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Great Job, FO!!!

2. May 10, 2012: Arizona Cardinals Sign DE Calais Campbell to Long-Term Deal | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::
  3. May 10, 2012: Cardinals Lock Up DE Calais Campbell : NFLTradeRumors.coNFL Trade Rumors