James among four tryout players signed

Posted by Darren Urban on May 14, 2012 – 2:52 pm

The Cardinals brought in 16 players for tryouts this past rookie minicamp weekend. They decided to keep around four of them, including running back Javarris James. The other three were kicker/punter Ricky Schmitt, safety Eddie Elder and cornerback Larry Parker.

James, of course, is the cousin of former Cardinals running back Edgerrin James. Javarris played in 10 games for the Colts as a rookie in 2010, scoring six touchdowns, but was out of the league last year. With top running backs Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams on the mend from surgeries, the Cards needed another running back for offseason work. It will be interesting if James can perform well enough to make it to training camp.

Schmitt was actually with the Cards as an undrafted rookie back in 2007 before getting cut in training camp. He has since spent time with five other teams, including a pair of stints with the 49ers. Elder, from Arizona State, and Parker, from San Diego State, are both rookies.

The signings bring the Cards’ roster to a total of 89 now, with one spot left to get to 90. Certainly, the roster is not set in stone, and further player possibilities could mean that any of these players — or others already on the roster — could get released before the Cards even get to camp. For players on the fringe of the roster, this is always a fluid situation.

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “James among four tryout players signed”

1. By Andy Kw on May 14, 2012 | Reply

I thought Alfonzo Smith is the 4th RB and LaRod Stephens Howling is the 3rd running back.

2. By Ben on May 14, 2012 | Reply

You may have touched on this in another blog, but i figured it was easier to ask than search.

How is Beanie with his rehab? We have had three RW stories but no BW updates. (I think)

Is he running/cutting?

3. By Darren Urban on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Beanie

Trying to track him down this week.

4. By NJAzCardsFan on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Darreb- Haggans & Holiday to be signed at a later date????

5. By Cactus jeff on May 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren, did Floyd look like a 4.4 or 4.6 WR? Rumor has it he didn’t stand out.

6. By Blake Allen Murphy on May 14, 2012 | Reply

I think you switched two of the players’ colleges: Parker went to ASU and did Elder go to San Diego State?

Thanks for the article Darren! Are there any positions other then RB that Arizona is a little thin in that could affect which rookies make it to camp?

7. By Blake Allen Murphy on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Never mind you got it right: Forgot that there were two Parkers that tried out for the Cardinals and Elder did go to ASU

Never question someone who’s been following the team for so many years…

8. By Darren Urban on May 15, 2012 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Haggans/Holliday

Possible.

9. By Darren Urban on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Floyd speed

Rumor? From where?

10. By samir on May 15, 2012 | Reply

massie just signed darren, did any of the other rookies sign?

11. By Darren Urban on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Samir —

RE: Signings

I saw (and retweeted) the Massie tweet. Nothing official yet.

12. By greg phibbs on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Would the Cards Brass be interested in signing a 66yr old who is very capable of extreme ctiticism? I am available. (relatively) cheap.

13. By Scott H on May 15, 2012 | Reply

To this day, I believe EDGERRIN James never really got the credit he deserved for the quiet contribution he made to that magical 2008 season. When I watch my recordings of the playoff games – particularly against Atlanta and Philly – I am constantly reminded of the solid running back play he provided that truly provided the balance this team needed at exactly the right time. Seriously. Watch that game against the Eagles and count how many times he carried the ball for big runs on that opening drive that set the tone for the whole game. He was a BEAST! And the flea flicker for the TD pass against Atlanta? It NEVER happens if James isn’t establishing the run early on in that game. Considering that they both ended up being close games, that balance may have been THE difference between going home early and going on to a Super Bowl.

I know Cardinal fans know this. I just think it’s a shame that nationally, it seems like all people remember about James from that season is that he was benched during the year and seemed to disappear. Nothing could be further from the truth. AND although I’m sure it was not planned that way, I think the “rest” he got during the season turned out to be a blessing when he was fresh and strong when the playoffs started. I will ALWAYS remember the Egde when I think of that season. It might not have happened without him.

14. By Bobcat on May 15, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully we have found some diamonds in the rough.

15. By Cactus jeff on May 15, 2012 | Reply

MJ from 910am, hinted that he didn’t stand out with his speed or size. He admitted it was early, obviously, but I am wondering what your impression was seeing him on the field.

16. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Cactus –

RE: I thought he looked nervous the first practice. Otherwise, he was fine. Unless you are terrible – which he wasn’t – you don’t learn a whole lot this time of year.

17. By Peter in Canada on May 16, 2012 | Reply

@Scott H – You are absolutely right. He did enough to blunt the opposition pass rush and give Warner time. I don’t think it happens unless he was fresh and had something to prove to the coaching staff.
    I also liked Hightower’s contribution against Philly. His fourth down run kept the final drive alive and his running over the DB on the one yard line made sure a field goal was not enough to beat us.

18. By Scott H on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada –

Amen, brother. Hightower’s contributions were huge as well. That 4th dowm play was SOOOOO nerve-wracking!!! That was do or die. I still cringe when I watch the tape of that game, even when I KNOW they got the first down! Such an amazing play-off run that season…