Cards sign defensive end

Posted by Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 – 1:18 pm

The Cardinals signed veteran defensive end Landon Cohen, who played one game with the Patriots last season, to a contract Wednesday. Cohen has been in the league since 2008, bouncing around to three previous teams and having a high of 14 games played in 2009 with the Lions. He is 6-foot-3, 300 pounds. Cohen’s arrival means the Cards have maxed out their roster at 90 players, although don’t fret (because I know the questions will come), veterans DE Vonnie Holliday and LB Clark Haggans are still very real possibilities. If anyone else is signed, of course, it means a player has to be released.

Tags:

20 Responses to “Cards sign defensive end”

1. By joe67 on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Was Paris Lennon with the Lions the same year?

2. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Lenon

3. By Blake Allen Murphy on May 16, 2012 | Reply

The 90 man roster includes Floyd, Fleming and Potter correct? Or will other players have to be released after they are signed?

4. By Christo on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Hmmmmmm we really need some OLB help.

Still not totally sold on our OT spots either . . . wonder what’s up with McNeill?

Guy has proven to be dominant, a 1 year show me deal should be in order for him and the Cards.

5. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Blake —

RE: 90 man roster

Yes, that includes all the draftees, signed or not.

6. By Andy Kw on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Who has a better chance of returning, Haggans or Holliday? And Darren, could you please give me a list of who is guarenteed going to play or be in the roster in the 2012 season.

7. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Questions

I believe both will return.

As for a list, I think I will pass on that right now.

8. By james walsh on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren be honest with me. What grade would you give the cards on the moves they have made this off season. (fa and draft)

9. By Jovan on May 16, 2012 | Reply

If I had your email I would have sent this there, but I just wanted to thank you and the rest of the Cardinals media team for “Zoom”. I have really enjoyed the series so far and look forward to the next episode. Again, great work.

10. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 | Reply

James Walsh —

RE: grades

OK. Honestly, I don’t do grades. Haven’t since about 2002. Makes no sense until players actually play. And are we grading in context – i.e., taking into account cap room, other players on the roster, etc.? Those all make a difference.

11. By Darren Urban on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Jovan –

RE: email

The e-mail can now be found on every story posted on the home page, FYI.

But thank you. I will tell the boys in broadcasting.

12. By james walsh on May 16, 2012 | Reply

I agree. We wont really know till they play. But yes i mean the way they spent thier cap money the positions they drafted and signed from FA. Do think the floyd pick was a good one? If you were in the “WAR ROOM” with the team can you say that floyd would have been your pick? If yes why? and if no who would it have been with who was still on the board???? just wondering

13. By Wildcard on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren.. of the undrafted linebackers which do you think will make it on the team?

14. By BIG RED on May 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, if HBO would ask the Cards to be on that stupid show “HARD KNOCKS” let them know that we the fans say “NUTS” in no way. It’s just a distraction on the team, send them to dallas.

15. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2012 | Reply

James Walsh —

RE: Draft pick

Since I never scouted Floyd or any of the other players, I don’t think it makes sense. Obviously I think tackle was a bigger need. But that’s only part of the equation.

16. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Wildcard —

RE: UDFA LBs

No idea. Haven’t even seen them in pads. Ask me again after a preseason game or two.

17. By Darren Urban on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Hard Knocks

I don’t think it’d be an option. Not Whisenhunt’s cup of tea.

18. By BIG RED on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Great to know that.

19. By ArizonaSportsFan11 on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

To the guy who asked for the list on who is guaranteed to make the roster next year lol i got the list right here:

1. Larry Fitzgerald

How about that!

20. By Eazy E on May 18, 2012 | Reply

Camp body most likely for right now. Holliday and Haggans are guys that will most likely be cards around training camp or before.