• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Guessing what Card is up on NFL Net’s 100

Posted by Darren Urban on May 21, 2012 – 1:50 pm

For those who have NFL Network (and/or are following this at NFL.com), you know that of their now annual top 100 list of current players (determined by a vote of the current players in the league) has now named players 61-100 with nary a mention of a Cardinal. That’s changing this week.

This week’s group of 10 will include a Cardinal (the show will air for the first time Wednesday at 5 p.m. Arizona time, 8 p.m. in the East.) Who it is I don’t know yet. I do know it is a player from the defense, although I would have bet my life savings it wouldn’t have been Larry Fitzgerald anyway — too low.  (Fitz was 14th last year.) I know the Card wasn’t on the inaugural top 100 list last year, which would rule out safety Adrian Wilson (who was No. 89 last year.)

That would seem to leave three legitimate candidates. Darnell Dockett is one, but since he didn’t even make the list last year when he had been more statistically productive, I’m not sure he’s jumping in the top 60. To me, defensive end Calais Campbell makes the most sense, with his impact both on defense and special teams and his arrow pointing up — but I’m not sure how much overall respect Campbell is getting yet around the league with his peers.

That leaves Patrick Peterson, and I can see it. He grabbed headlines — spectacularly — with his four punt returns for touchdowns last year, will get better as a cornerback and still made a few plays. Other players seem to like guys with the right pedigree, and Peterson qualifies there. He’s already high-profile.

We’ll see Wednesday afternoon.

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Guessing what Card is up on NFL Net’s 100”

1. By D on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Slow time of the year…

I wonder if the new CBA deal will allow Mr. Lott to take the rooks up Camelback in 102 heat….

2. By cdubbbbbbb on May 21, 2012 | Reply

DWash definately gets some consideration here…. that guy just knows how to play football. Better then Bowman if you ask me.

3. By Eric Y on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Good call on D Wash, but I know the res of the league is seeing him there quite yet. Needs a little more proof

4. By Scott H on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Sure seems to me that Darnell Dockett should be in the top 100. Given some of the names that have already appeared…You can’t tell me Dockett isn’t a better player than some of them. Regardless of who comes up next, first, whatever, I firmly believe that Peterson AND Campbell should be in the top 100. Maybe even Beanie, as well, although maybe he needs to turn in another season like last year before that happens.

And Fitz should be no lower than where he was last year.

5. By scott on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Unless I read it wrong, when you vote for your own top 10 players on the top100.nfl.com site the choices are all from the list. If that is the case their are only 2 Cards in this years list: Patrick Peterson and Fitz.

6. By beardinals on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Lots of up-and-comers on the “D”. Campbell needs the props after getting snubbed on the Pro Bowl.

7. By samir on May 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren, i was reading that the cardinals are all getting the extentions they deserve. This lead to a heated debate over whose next in line, most people think its DWASH what do you think?

8. By Eazy E on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Bowman is good now and Daryl is also.

9. By muwhahaha on May 22, 2012 | Reply

plus dwash broke vick’s ribs mmmmmmmmmm

10. By Andy Kw on May 22, 2012 | Reply

WR LF 1500yds 104rec 14TD
    WR MF 1180yds 80rec 8TD
    WR ED 600yds 45rec 3TD
    WR AR 500yds 30rec 3TD
    TEs 500yds 4TD

11. By Roy on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Patrick Peterson, put it in the bank. Campbell will be in the next 10 HOPEFULLY along with Wilson. Fitz will probably slip into the 20 range.

12. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Samir -

RE: Extentions

I’d have to look at where everyone’s contract is right now, but he’s certainly a candidate.

13. By Peter in Canada on May 22, 2012 | Reply

@Andy Kw I love your optimism but I don’t see it happening. Last year each of them passed for 1900-2000 yards. I see something similar this year because neither will play a full season. I think Kolb will be the starter but Skelton will get a lot of time because Kolb will miss time through injury and will be on a fairly short leash if the offense stalls. I sincerely hope Kolb comes through and justifies the faith that management has shown but his track record indicates that his performances are very inconsistent and he is injury prone.

14. By Neil on May 22, 2012 | Reply

I have a question for you, well 2 I guess! whats your email so I can send you my question?

15. By maskin on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Darren

I just read on a Somers Article Jeff King is hurt! Any word yet on how long? He was solid for us while Heap was hurt. I know we are some what deep there. But rather have all of them healthy.

16. By clssylssy on May 22, 2012 | Reply

I was catching the end of NFL Live yesterday when they were counting down, “Best Hands in the League” and the way they were going on and on about Calvin Johnson was surprised when Johnson was named #2 man behind our own Larry Fitzgerald! Of course, I knew Fitz had the “Best Hands In the League” but how often do Cardinals get the recognition they deserve? Dockett should definitely be on the list along with Wilson, Peterson and Campbell. We have a number of players better than some of those who’ve been named from more established teams. Maybe we’re turning a corner and are finally going to get long overdue credit. CONGRATULATIONS CARDS! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

17. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Maskin –

RE: King

18. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Neil –

RE: E-mail

My e-mail is available at the top of every home page article.

askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net