• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

King hurt, Beanie rehabs and a good first OTA

Posted by Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 – 12:58 pm

The Cardinals had almost everyone on the field today to start OTAs. One man who had hoped to be out there was veteran tight end Jeff King, but it turns out he suffered a partial tear of his quadriceps tendon recently working out at the facility. He had surgery to repair it and is scheduled to return for training camp.

UPDATE: King saw this post on Twitter and responded via Twitter: “Will come back stronger….“The finest steel has to go through the hottest fire.” “

The OTAs, which are voluntary, got great turnout once again. Those who weren’t practicing couldn’t because of injury or other reasons (rookie guard Senio Kelemete isn’t here because the University of Washington remains in session.) As expected running backs Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams were both off to the side rehabbing their respective knee injuries.

Wells expanded on some of his thoughts about sitting out during OTAs, and coach Ken Whisenhunt addressed them as well, saying it was the plan all along to have Wells sitting at this point. Beanie still has no desire to talk details about his surgery. He reiterated it was “a scope, clean things up.” When asked if it was to repair the meniscus, Beanie said it was “a little more complicated.”

“I am pretty confident in being ready when the time is right,” Wells said. “It’s football. I’m just glad to have a job.”

– CB Greg Toler, rehabbing from an ACL tear, has returned. He is limited in his number of reps but did everything. More on him in a later blog post.

– Lineups mean little right now, but William Gay was working on the top unit at cornerback with Patrick Peterson (although the secondary coaches were careful to call their lineups 1a and 1b right now). Jeremy Bridges is working as the top right tackle. Kevin Kolb was with the top unit at quarterback. At receiver — although that’s a position that always tends to be fluid during OTAs and practices when everyone is trying to get reps — Andre Roberts joined Larry Fitzgerald, DeMarco Sampson was with Early Doucet next, and then came Michael Floyd and Stephen Williams.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “King hurt, Beanie rehabs and a good first OTA”

1. By Gilbert on May 22, 2012 | Reply

When did Floyd signed?

2. By iammattyoung on May 22, 2012 | Reply

I may be in the minority here, but I’m glad to hear that Kolb was taking first team reps. While I really like John Skelton, I am growing weary of the way Whisenhunt has handled the quarterback position. Competition is great at positions where sheer drive can push a player to the next level — positions like O-line, running back, and defensive end. But the quarterback position is not one of those positions. The starting quarterback needs the vast majority of the reps, and he needs to be able to studiously mold into the position and the playbook without worrying about looking over his shoulder.

In a way, handling the QB position the way Whisenhunt has is a coward’s method. There’s so much to lose if you pick the wrong guy. But, ultimately, you’ll never get the most out of either guy by having them split reps and sweat out the competition. It worked with Kurt Warner because he had played his entire career in competition, and it made him great. But most guys aren’t like that. When was the last time a team going into camp with a QB competition had a great QB during the season? Pick Kolb. Pick Skelton. But just pick one guy and let him grow.

3. By mike on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Was Max Komar released?

4. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Gilbert –

RE: Floyd

He has not signed yet.

5. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Komar released

A long, long time ago.

6. By Nate on May 22, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to see Floyd is not holding out.

7. By Tom Watson on May 22, 2012 | Reply

How did TE position shake out?

8. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Tom –

RE: TEs

With King out, Heap and Dray ran first unit. But again, it’s early.

9. By Mark on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Will They Sign Matt Roth Or Ryan Grant For Depth? still some free agent steals out there cardinals need to look out for. Go Cardinal’s!!!

10. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Roster

Never say never, but I would doubt those two guys.

11. By in fitz we trust on May 22, 2012 | Reply

king had a solid start last year, 2 tds in the first 2 games….. i hope he recovers, but i also hope this opens up the door for rob housler, we spent a pretty high pick on him and when i saw some of his college film this dude has speed hands and the height. i hope he gets the starting position by week one. he is a matchup nightmare.

12. By Mike Ellingboe on May 22, 2012 | Reply

@Iammattyoung,

It worked with Warner because he was a legit #1 QB. Not too many QB’s became the guy because it was handed to them. Competition for the position may appear not to work, but I’d say it’s because of truth in the old saying that if you have two QB’s, you don’t have one. Hopefully that’s not the case with us, and Skelton or Kolb prove to be a #1 QB. But all the reps in the world wouldn’t have made Leinart or Anderson the guy to run this offense, as they so painfully proved, so I don’t think you can accurately blame the competition angle on that.

13. By Mike Ellingboe on May 22, 2012 | Reply

@Darren,

May just be the camera angle, but has Washington put on a little more weight again this summer? Looks like he’s pushing 240 pounds now.

14. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe –

RE: DWash

Haven’t talked to him yet. Don’t know.

15. By cardsalltheway on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Kevin Kolb got all the work with the 1st team. I guess that’s what Ken W. meant when he said…”So it’s going to start out as even as it possibly can, and we’re going to let the best player take it from there. Ha!

16. By Cobra on May 22, 2012 | Reply

@ iammattyoung:

re: I may be the minority here:

Calling Whiz a coward in his approach to chosing a starting QB is nuts. Also, I feel both QBs will compete in the off season to prove their skills. Best of luck to both.

As far as your comment: When was the last time a team went into camp with a QB competition had a great QB during the season? My answer would be Kurt Warner vs. Matt Leinhart. It may not have started exactly that way, but we know how it ended. You never know.

Competition breeds excellence. Both show great confidence. I’m sure leadership skills will become evedent in the long run also. May the best man win, as long as is doesn’t take until the 4th quarter for your 7th completion!

17. By cardsalltheway on May 22, 2012 | Reply

“Beanie still has no desire to talk details about his surgery. He reiterated it was “a scope, clean things up.” When asked if it was to repair the meniscus, Beanie said it was “a little more complicated.”

What is the point in keeping it a secret??? Do other players hide injuries to no end??? Me thinks he wants attention!!!

18. By Logan Cooper on May 22, 2012 | Reply

This article made me sick to my stomach that we didn’t re-sign Marshall even with the money the dolphins paid him.

Obviously it’s over and done with, but you can clearly see why Horton absolutely loved this guy.

The only game I attended last year was week 17 Seattle and I saw first hand what a valuable asset he was to our defense. (also observed Skeltons complete lack of knowledge at diagnosing the defense before the snap, but that’s for another day)

Attending a game you can really see the difference of players who truly watch film and put the effort in. Marshall was one of them.

19. By Logan Cooper on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Regarding my last comment as well. Seeing thast we picked up Gay, Fleming and bethel it shows that the cards knew how big losing Marshall was.

20. By Steve on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Darren: I know you’ll probably tell me that you have no earthly idea!! but what would be your best shot in the dark guess as to which QB (Kolb or Skelton) the teams veterans, especially on offensive, prefer to see under center starting? Cmon Darren I know you probably have a gut feeling on the matter!!!

21. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Attention

Kettle, meet pot.

22. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Players choice

I’ve never heard one way or the other. Guys certainly say the right things. If a guy is playing well, that’s who they want. Don’t think either guys has done enough to have every guy say, “That’s who we need.”

23. By Rob01 on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Darren on the QB battle a good coach will have competiton at that position but a great would taylor the offensive around his QB skill set.I love Whiz but he does not handle QB well at all

24. By Rob01 on May 22, 2012 | Reply

I think Whiz needs to pick a QB and taylor the offensive around that QB ever body is not Kurt ever QB does not have that quick release

25. By John on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Would it be a good idea for the Cardinals to be on hard knocks? In my opinion, it doesn’t sound bad with the story lines of kolb v. skelton, Floyd learning from Fitz, and Adrian Wilson and Dockett leading the defense.

26. By cardsalltheway on May 22, 2012 | Reply

“Kettle, meet pot”
    He’s awake after all, wow! I have opinions for which I’m not sorry. I’ve been around a long time and seen and heard a lot. When I see and hear the absurd I’m not afraid to point it out. I figure you’d prefer me to just sit down and shut up about any slightly negative/wrong/stupid thing or not wonder what’s with B. Wells knee. But, I’ve been wondering for a while as to what’s wrong with his knee and I don’t believe in “Whiz We Trust” or whatever that irrational slogan was. Yes, I might not be like most “YES” fans. But I could care less that you never answer my questions, ha! That is in and of itself, all telling.

27. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

John -

RE: hard knocks

Never going to happen.

28. By Darren Urban on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway -

Amazing. I too have been around a long time and seen and heard a lot.

And I too am not afraid to point out the absurd.

29. By Andy Kw on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    On the picture with the 4 QBs, Richard Bartel’s leg looks like it has been photoshopped or something, I feel that that picture should be fixed, what do you think?

30. By Ezz on May 23, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway

What’s absurd about Beanie not wanting to talk about his injury? His doctors know what’s wrong with him, his coaches know what’s wrong with him, anything else is irrelevant. When he talked about his injuries in the past, people labeled him soft. Now he won’t talk about them and will handle them quietly. I think that’s perfectly understandable and a choice he has a right to make.

31. By Lizardking79 on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Whatever all you haters say, thats ok. Coach Whiz is around the players the players are around the players, Beanie doesnt talk, thats ok. Whiz knows how to coach he’s been doing it for years as a pro, you what do you really know?,..nothing.!, your not there. Marshall who cares if he was traded or released, Marshall was no one man army.

32. By Louisville Card on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Nice one Darren!

33. By cardsalltheway on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Ezz,
    “What’s absurd about Beanie not wanting to talk about his injury?”

Perhaps you should ask whoever asked Beanie this…”When asked if it was to repair the meniscus, Beanie said it was “a little more complicated.”

What’s absurd is whoever asked the initial question didn’t follow up. Like maybe…What could be so complicated about a scope or repair of the meniscus and what could be so secretive so long after the injury/surgery? Yes, it’s his prerogative not to tell but how about…Beanie, why don’t you want to tell me/us/fans what the deal is, fans want to know? Such soft questioning if I do say so myself. Epic fail! Why ask the question if you really don’t care about getting a more informative answer? Fans still don’t know anymore than before.

34. By joe67 on May 23, 2012 | Reply

re: Whiz and the qb’s. Lets look at the situations he has been put in. Leinart vs Warner. That turned out ok I think. The whole DA thing. It was a gamble, I think most realized that. Did it work, no. But hindsight is ALWAYS 20-20. Now this current situation. One a high daraf pik, with TONS of potential, but still unproven, and appears to be injury prone. The other a lower draft pik with LOTS of potential and we knew when drafted, a project probably 3-4 years at least.
    Not the best situation to be in if you are a head coach. No one wants to win more than Whiz, so I am sure he will let it play out and make the best decision possible Whats the old saying, “making the best of a bad (or in this case maybe not a real good) situation”. Long time til September!

35. By clssylssy on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m thinking that perhaps Kevin got all the reps with the first team because he needed them more in order for him to be brought up to speed and be ready to “compete” for the starting spot. I am concerned that a player who still “isn’t quite right” three weeks after the end of regular season (his own words) might not be quite as sharp or have the edge necessary to step up, read the field, and react to situations. Skelton has proved that he can step into the offense and with little effort gel with the players to get the job done and win games. I hate to see a big drama get started before camp even starts that will split the team,and am sure coach will have John Skelton out there as well. To work and compete for a position is going to give us the best man for the job.

36. By Cobra on May 23, 2012 | Reply

@ cardsalltheway: Congrats on being recognized.

@ Darren:

Re: “kettle, meet pot”

Funniest thing I’ve read on here in a long time, you out did yourself on that one! Also, as others have stated, you can’t Beanie for not divulging much info on the knee.

37. By drstiegler on May 23, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway -
    wow, you might be manic. take a pill or a puff and chill.
    if beanie did discuss the details of how it is a little more complicated than a meniscus repair, would you even understand it or the ramifications? Big picture is all that really matters to FANS and that is that things are on schedule for his minor procedure and he will be there at training camp! What else do you want to know? A wee bit entitled you are.
    other points -
    Marshall was a big loss but not irreplaceable. Toler and Gay have the potential to adequately replace which is why they didn’t pay Marshall.
    Kolb will and should have the opportunity to lose the job. He has put in his time as a backup in Philly and no one should lose their job to injury. We gambled and paid him so now we have to give him a fair chance. Skelton is not making it easy for Kolb and that is to his credit. I feel he eventually is our starting QB but right now the position is Kolb’s as it should be.
    Go Redbirds.

38. By TheFFGuru on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Darren, rumors are swirling on many football sites that at one point a reporter followed up the mysterious Beanie Wells knee surgery by asking if it was a microfracture surgery and that Beanie just smiled and didn’t answer implying that it might have been a very complicated microfracture surgery. Any truth to this? Any chance he did in fact have microfracture surgery and not the simple “clean out” that his agent is calling it?

39. By iammattyoung on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Re: QB competition

No matter who “wins” the starting QB job, that guy will be going into the season with half as many reps as Sam Bradford and Alex Smith (the Seahawks are in the same screwy situation we are). In the case of the Cardinals, where no QB has previously taken starter reps, I think that’s a huge disadvantage.

The problem is that both guys are good, and there’s a chance that this “competition” will last into the preseason. I think that the position is better served by taking a gamble, picking your guy, and letting him start to develop into your QB during training camp and preseason instead of during the first 8 games of the season with live rushers coming at you.

40. By Darren Urban on May 23, 2012 | Reply

TheFF –

RE: Beanie/agent

Not sure why the agent would have answered the interview request just to lie. Cards also haven’t added any RB of significance even though RWilliams is also coming off an injury. Doesn’t exactly fit with an RB who had microfracture in my book.

41. By CreditCard on May 23, 2012 | Reply

i still believe the loss of Tolar was huge to the defense, and if took 1/2 season to adjust. Getting three quality CBs in one year is also huge (Tolar, Gay, and the rookie from Oklahoma). Acho and Scholdfield are developing, I think the position with the defense is the NT. if our NT can get a good push up the middle while double teamed — good things will happen for the cards.

42. By scott023 on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Hello Darren, On the qb race, I like the better qb wins the job. However, when a qb goes out with injury and the replacement comes in and has a winning record. I think it is a no brainer. He has taken the winning roll and his to lose.
    The idea or scope of the game is to win. Skelton was (7-2) Kolb was (2-5) and always injured. Am I looking at this wrong? I would love nothing better than Kolb to step in and win, win, win, that would be new and refreshing. However, every game you keep Skelton away from the starters the harder to learn the timing for him. We all know that if Skelton (7-2) started last season we may have won enough games to win the division. It was Skelton who stepped in the game of 49′s after the injury to kolb and pulled it out. If he whould of played more he would be even better today. He’s bigger, stronger, and steps in the pocket and not running back and away for losses. I wish kolb the best we need that, I just don’t see it. People said Kolb (2-5) had no preseason, neither did Skelton (7-2).

43. By Darren Urban on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Scott023 -

RE: QB “wins”

You are not the first one to make that point. But I disagree to the point that the winning record trumps all. Is it a factor. Sure. But this doesn’t happen in a vacuum. You can’t deny the defense played better the second half of the season when Skelton played.

My best example is the Dallas game. Look at how that game played out and the stats. Remarkably similar to all the other games the Cards won in the second half. That game, of course, it was Kolb at QB, not Skelton. So was Skelton really the difference?

I think it should be a competition. We will see what happens.

44. By John the draft guy on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Ahhh, QB talk. Once again, everyone is fighting over who should be the starter.

I, once again will throw this out; If we had a Franchise QB, there would be no questions. I sure hope I’m wrong. For having season tickets for now my 20th year, I hope one of these guys emerges. I wouldn’t even mind if Peter King is correct and Lindley becomes the guy. Heck, I don’t think King is that far off (although I don’t see it this year).

But at this point, I just wish the cards would have used a first round pick and landed a QB (traded 13 and next years 1 for Tannehill) How cool would it be to have a QB for the next 15 years.Too late for that argument.
    After all, only 7 teams will enter this year with a QB not picked in the first round. Cleveland could make it 6 and Brees was the first pick of the 2nd round. Those other guys, Schaub, Fitzpatrick, Cassel, and Romo can’t seem to get any superbowls. Hasselback could be replaced by Locker.
    I know I know, Warner and Brady. The best example, Brady, was drafted 12 years ago.

So Kolb or Skelton, Skelton or Kolb?

Tell the truth, does anyone have confidence in these matchups;

Kolb/Skelton vs Tom Brady
    “” “” Vs Mike Vick
    ” ” Vs Aaron Rodgers
    ” ” Vs Mathew Stafford
    ” ” Vs Jay Cutler
    ” ” Vs Matt Ryan
    Not to mention Sam Bradford twice, Alex Smith twice, and my guy, Ryan Tannehill ( Ok, Matt Moore may be the QB still in week 3)

Can either of these QBs keep up with these guys this year?? and yes, these teams will score on our defense.

So, who do you guys like better? Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson of Arkansas, or maybe Tennessee’s Tyler Bray ?

Please tell me I’m wrong. Someone give me a argument that tells me we will compete this year as I’m making my final payment for my tickets. Skelton is very good in the 4th quarter, of course very bad the other 3. Kolb looked great against the Cowboys and has more weapons to work with, of course his injury history and is very jumpy in the pocket.

Man that is a long post. I stepped back off the ledge and sent my payment.

45. By johnnybluenose on May 26, 2012 | Reply

@ John the draft guy: no way do we move up to take tannehill. we drafted a franchise qb in the first round five years ago. how did that work out? there are no guarantees. floyd may not work out either but taking a qb at 13 when we already have two guys who can start would have been shocking. kolb deserves the chance to be our number one guy and i expect him to emerge as a confident and capable qb. but he needs to take most of the reps. the others, including skelton will have to wait. as others have pointed out, it was the TEAM that finished 7 and 2 last year, not skelton. i too have paid for my tickets. we will compete. we will be good this year. and we will be entertained. let’s go already !!