A little less Fitz

Posted by Darren Urban on May 23, 2012 – 9:35 am

I guess this is what happens when you are at the top of your game — or maybe why you are at the top of your game — but wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald admitted that, yes, he indeed is overweight.

Wait, what?

“A couple of pounds” is what he said he needed to lose, although it’s tough to tell. He’s a far cry from the guy whose body was overhauled when strength and conditioning coach John Lott first arrived.

“I am a little heavy,” Fitzgerald said. “I have to get back into football shape before I can start telling guys what to do.”

The subject came up when Fitz was asked what advice and/or tutelage he was giving No. 1 draft pick Michael Floyd. Floyd is staying at Fitz’s house for now — although Fitz said he “could not deny nor confirm” that to be the case — and when Fitz was asked about Floyd’s potential impact, he dug up a time “many moons ago” when he was a ballboy for the 1998 Vikings.

“They had Jake Reed and Cris Carter and Robert Smith and they drafted Randy Moss and he was the difference the league had never seen before,” Fitzgerald said. “(To) get a talented player on the offensive side of the ball that can produce like (Floyd) can, it’s going to be a tremendous asset.”

Not that Fitz is saying Floyd will be Moss-incarnate. Floyd doesn’t have anywhere that type of speed. But Floyd could help the offense, especially if he follows the lead of Fitz who is already watching his weight.

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “A little less Fitz”

1. By incardswetrust on May 23, 2012 | Reply

The cardinals.are gonna be real good with fitz and floyd

2. By GMan on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

How does Todd Heap look in the OTAs? Is he healthy and do you think the Cards will sign him? I hope so!

GMan

3. By Darren Urban on May 23, 2012 | Reply

GMan –

RE: Heap

He’s already under contract. He’s healthy.

4. By iammattyoung on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Can you compare Fitz to Floyd in size out there on the field? They’re both ~6′ 3″, but I’m pretty sure Floyd has about 10 lbs on Fitz. Does it look that way in real life?

5. By Darren Urban on May 23, 2012 | Reply

iammatt –

RE: Fitz/Floyd size

To me, without seeing them side-by-side, I’d still say Fitz is a little bigger.

6. By Jesse Robles on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I like the fact that our Slot receivers played #2 last year, and now they really get to play the Slot. Our TE’s, WR’s look really good. I think a lot of our wins will come by the D, but our O needs to step it up this season.

7. By cardsalltheway on May 23, 2012 | Reply

A finely tuned precision offense that runs on all cylinders, accept nothing less! We can’t have our QB’s running around getting chased, it’ too tiring. They need to drop back and pass long, short, hard, and soft depending on the play and as accurately as other top QB’s with very few interceptions while holding onto the ball. It’s now or never J. Skelton or R. Bartel, or K. Kolb or R. Lindley.

8. By azfancolo on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I just hope Floyd does not have multiple personalities like moss

9. By AndyStandsUpalltheway on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Does Fitz still have his own personal cook?
    From what I read, he did as of 2009.

10. By Cobra on May 23, 2012 | Reply

@ Darren,

Can you define: Multiple personalities for me: alltheway. It seems we have a Moss here?

Nevermind, I’ll just have my cook stew on it, he knows a Heap of alot about football.

11. By Eazy E on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Lol, now he’s 220 or 222.

12. By clssylssy on May 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m thinking Fitz looks mighty fine and solid; doesn’t look like he could pinch an inch in those new unies. He’s got such long arms and legs that he tends to look a lot taller and leaner than a lot of other WRs. He knows what his best weight is where he’s comfortable to perform at his best. Can’t wait to see him and Floyd on the field and look forward to once again having the best tandem WRs in the league!