Cards in focus on TV special

Posted by Darren Urban on May 25, 2012 – 1:20 pm

Here’s one way to get a Cardinals’ fix on a Sunday not during football season: a Cards’  TV special.

“Arizona Cardinals: Season In Focus” will be an hour-long special aired on ABC 15 Sunday (that’s May 27) immediately after the telecast of the Indianapolis 500. That’s approximately 12:30 p.m. Arizona time, but I won’t pretend to be a race fan and guess the likelihood of it ending then. The special (Alert: necessary sponsor  acknowledgement in 3, 2, …), presented by you Arizona Ford Dealers, will feature in no particular order:

– The voice of the Cards, Dave Pasch, sitting down with head coach Ken Whisenhunt to break down video of the members of the draft class (I have to say, this is the one I am looking forward to seeing);

– A feature about new quarterbacks coach John McNulty and how he wants to get the players at his position back to basics, working on technique and footwork;

– A feature on the journey back to the field for injured running back Ryan Williams;

– A feature on the work on and off the field of linebacker O’Brien Schofield;

– Some burning questions facing the Cardinals, as broken down by Paul Calvisi and Ron Wolfley;

– Oh, and a one-on-one interview between some guy who writes a blog for this site and newly signed defensive end Calais Campbell.

Again, that’s Sunday after the Indy 500. The boys in broadcasting — Tim DeLaney, Johnny Hayward, Richard Mendez — have worked hard on putting this together. It’s worth the time to watch. Yes, I understand some of you can’t see it, if you are out of state or busy. We do plan on putting up the segments on the site eventually, but it won’t be all at once.

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Cards in focus on TV special”

1. By Paul H on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Gotta say Darren. I got a little excited reading the headline. Thought it might be about the Cards on Hard Knocks. Oh well, this Sunday show sounds pretty cool in of itself. I’ll be watching.

2. By acid77haze on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you know if you will have clips from the special for us out of state fans? The interview with Whiz on rookie footage and the Ryan Williams segment sound intriguing.

Thanks,
    Sean

3. By elrey3737 on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

You have come a long way since covering high school swimming here in the Valley. Always love your insight, and you do a great job covering OUR Big Red Machine year round. I look forward to the special and just set my DVR to record it. Thanks again and keep up the quality work.

4. By D on May 25, 2012 | Reply

CardNation has noticed D.Urban has been more recent video segments and now an interview on local TV….are we seeing the beginning of a john anderson or a pedro gomez path for you Darren?

5. By D on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Memorial Day Weekend…

As Lee Greenwood sang:

“And I’m proud to be an American,
    where at least I know I’m free.
    And I wont forget the men who died,
    who gave that right to me. ”

Thanks to All who let us Enjoy Football!

6. By Steve W. on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for letting us know it will be going up on this site! I’d love to watch it on TV, but I’m guessing the broadcast will be limited to AZ. And thanks for all your had work in keeping us Cards fans in the know with all your informative blogs and articles! It makes following my favorite team easy, even when I’m waaaaay out in Austin, TX. Looking forward to another year of cheering on my favorite team! My second favorite team is whoever plays the Cowboys on any given week. :)

Steve W.

7. By Darren Urban on May 25, 2012 | Reply

acid77 —

RE: Clips

Comon now. You’ve actually got to read the blog post.

8. By Darren Urban on May 25, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: TV work

I just want to stay employed.

9. By Brad Wheeler on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Darren, could you give Roger G a call and tell him to kick of the season tomorrow? I can’t wait any longer!

10. By Mark on May 25, 2012 | Reply

ill be watching.

11. By greg on May 25, 2012 | Reply

are they going to have it posted somewhere on the site or online so us fans that dont live in az can watch it ?

12. By Darren Urban on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Greg —

RE: Clips

Um, are you a friend of acid77?

13. By michaelmailand on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren.

Afraid of being related to Greg and acid77 :) I ask anyway. Will the hole special be on the web (in segments) or only part of it?

14. By Ron on May 26, 2012 | Reply

I’m a huge fan of the Cardinals. I live in Pennsylvania and would like to know the best cable “package” to buy so I can see all the Cardinal games. Anyone out there who can provide some advice?

15. By Cobra on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Too bad I’m busy tomorrow, although I do look forward to watching the segments on this site when they are posted, as stated in your article.

16. By acid77haze on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Ha, I read everything but the last few lines… Thanks, Darren, looking forward to them.

Sean

17. By Steve on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren: Enjoyed your comments on Kolb/Skelton on OTA Underground, you mentioned Kolb needed to improve on pocket awareness-first read and Skelton needed better accuracy. My question to you is that wouldnt it appear to be easier to correct pocket presence and making the right first look as a function of simply learning the offense better and getting more comfortable? Accuracy issues seem to me to be a function of either you’ve got it or you dont. Some people are fast and others are not so your born with it. I realize technique can help some but how much is debatable I think. Your thoughts, thanks.

18. By jeffgollin on May 26, 2012 | Reply

If you don’t live in the Cardinal viewing market, your only TV shot at seeing all Cardinal games is via DirecTV (satellite) Sunday Ticket package. You’ll have to pay to have a small dish antenna & set top box installed plus a monthly subscriber fee (You might be able to haggle for free or discounted installation – they’re always running some kind of introductory promotion). Only possible limitations: (a) if your condo or apartment association won’t let you install the antenna or (b) you live in a jungle and don’t have a clear shot at the southwestern sky.

There conceivably may be ways to have the games streamed from a source like nfl.com for a subscription or per-game fee, but I’m not sure how that would work.

Darren – Since the 1-hour Ch 15 special has all the earmarks of being one of 32 locally produced football shows, how can those of us who don’t live in the Ch 15 viewing area get to watch the show? (streamed over our PC? Link on this website? Subsequent viewing on an ESPN sub-channel)?

19. By TUCSTEVE on May 26, 2012 | Reply

if people read the last sentence to the blog. you’ll know the answer the question “will the hole special be on the web?”

20. By Darren Urban on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: QB issues

I think that’s a fair way to look at it. But in the end, it might be a case-by-case basis type of thing.

21. By Darren Urban on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Jeff —

RE: TV

Comon now. Everyone, we will be putting segments up on the web — as I wrote in the above post.

22. By Jzoully on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Usually I like to talk about what the topic is, but I justed wanted to ask a question off topic. I just heard the story of Brian Banks, a former Polytech high school player who had to serve time for a crime that wasn’t committed by him, (feeling that Wanetta Gibson deserves jail time for falsafying in court and should do 5 years in jail, same term that Brian did) would you think that Brian who was an all-american high school phenom has a chance to play on a football roster?

23. By cardsalltheway on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Sad thing is K. Kolb needs to improve on accuracy AND pocket awareness. If he had pocket awareness he might be more accurate but we know how that’ll go. He’s got two problems, J. Skelton only has one.

24. By Darren Urban on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Banks

I saw that story. Terrible. But realistically, he hasn’t played football and he never had a chance to play in college. Take away the part of the story where he wasn’t allowed to play, and you’d never think he’d be able to get back into it. I’d think it’s highly unlikely.

25. By mal on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Ron-

Me, too — a huge fan but now living out of state. I live on a tight budget, though, so last year I went with the NFL on-line package for $30 total where you could watch all the games commercial-free the next day.

So first I would listen to the free on-line radio feed to get the game live on game-day, and then the next day I could watch it on my computer.

Anybody out there got any better ideas where I could watch the games on-line live on game-day?

26. By John S on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Damn I wasn’t home on Sunday, does anyone know if there is a replay of this available anywhere?

27. By Andreas on May 28, 2012 | Reply

John S – You do not read these blogs do you? Read the last 4 lines!

28. By Cactus jeff on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    In OTAs, which rookie jumped out at you the most…I know it’s early, but just curious?

29. By Darren Urban on May 29, 2012 | Reply

CactusJeff —

RE: Rookies

Can’t say any have really jumped out at me at this point.

30. By CORMAC on May 29, 2012 | Reply

DARREN,

I missed that video special… Is there anyplace I may find it to watch? I looked all over for it but could not find a link anywhere. A hopeless task I know, but I thought I would ask the professional!!!

THANKS

31. By Darren Urban on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Cormac —

RE: Link

“Yes, I understand some of you can’t see it, if you are out of state or busy. We do plan on putting up the segments on the site eventually, but it won’t be all at once.”

32. By Mike in Mesa on May 29, 2012 | Reply

I watched most of the segments and enjoyed them. The Michael Floyd move on tape was awesome. I’ve watched his best of highlights videos on you tube and one thing I noticed is that a lot of times he had to come back for under thrown balls and take it away. Only a few times did he get to catch it in stride with his speed showing. I can’t wait for Skeltons cannon arm to hit him long. Now as for your last line “We do plan on putting up the segments on the site eventually, but it won’t be all at once”. Why would you want to torture fans from out of state or anyone who wants to watch again or anyone who wants to show to their friends that missed it? What is the reasoning or drawbacks for not getting this on muy pronto? Unless they are going to rebroadcast it wouldn’t you want as many people to see this as possible? Fans are jonesing for Cardinals info. So if you could change that word “eventually” to “soon” or “as quick as we can” it would be much appreciated.

33. By Darren Urban on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Segments

As many views as possible? Yes. And research shows that if we parcel it out, that has a better chance of attracting attention to all of them rather than flood the site all at once.

34. By Mike in Mesa on May 29, 2012 | Reply