Cards make scouting changes

Posted by Darren Urban on May 31, 2012 – 2:30 pm

The Cardinals have made some scouting department changes, adding a extra body to their previous group by hiring Zac Canty — who most recently spent the last two seasons as a pro personnel assistant with the Bears — as the team representative for the National Football Scouting Service, and also bringing in former Dolphins scouting assistant John Richter to scout the northeast region of the country.

The team parted ways with scout Don Corzine.

The team reassigned some current scouts, putting Mike Boni on the near East, Kyle Johnson in the Midwest and Luke Palko in the Southeast. Malik Boyd remains a cross checker for the western half of the country, Chris Culmer remains in the West and Dru Grigson as a cross checker for the eastern half of the country.

Also officially announced was the addition of former running back Josh Scobey as a scouting assistant, although Scobey has been on board for a while now.

The personnel department also saw the return of Jason Licht recently as director of player personnel.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Cards make scouting changes”

1. By SteveG on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Big change from the bad old days when scouting was an expense tht the cards did NOT believe in making.

2. By CardsFan on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, is this an expansion of the scouting staff? Tough to add up all the comings and goings from this, but it seems like at least a net +2 if you include Licht. Thought I’d heard at one point that the Cards had one of the smaller scouting staffs in the NFL, is this an effort to ramp up a little or just common turnover?

3. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2012 | Reply

CardsFan —

RE: Staff

The Cards let go of one scout and added two.

Licht replaced T.J. McCreight, who took a job with the Colts.

4. By Christo on May 31, 2012 | Reply

The only problem with this is CHI and MIA . . . need to a little oh IDK NE and PIT scout stealing.

5. By AndyStandsUpalltheway on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Any comment about the Ryan Williams Rotoworld post (Team doctors say he won’t be playing until the third or fourth game of the season.) today Darren?

6. By shannon robinson on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Too bad we don’t get to meet and know these guys in a profile – it’s hard enough to get with the assistant coaches. Everything is down to results don’t lie – which for us now is pretty good drafting of talent – we’ve kept a high percentage of our picks & they’ve turned into productive players. There’s also respect around the league for the Cards roster as Korey Lindsey for example just got picked up. Got to say ‘TrustinFitz’ that you’re missing a lot to say Heap is washed up when he’s the TE that’s always open – or that King is only a blocker when his pass catching is the big surprise at the position – Jim Dray is growing into a solid blocker who was drafted for his catching ability. I don’t get it.

7. By alexmannsportskings on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Completely off topic but is there truth to the Cardinals possibly traveling to Missouri to scrimmage the Chiefs during Training Camp?

8. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Ryan Williams

I need a better link than Rotoworld. They don’t report. They read. I’ve talked to team trainers and he’s on track to be back in camp. I find it hard to believe someone said that. And you should know better than to not include a link.

9. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Alexmann –

RE: scrimmage

I have not heard that. The Cards do play in Kansas City in the preseason so I don’t see a scrimmage.

10. By AndyStandsUpalltheway on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, Darren, You may have my first born. He’s 22 now, but….

I know these sites are mostly gossip, but it sure caught my attention:

11. By alexmannsportskings on May 31, 2012 | Reply

http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext?nxd_id=277422 Here’s the link if you’re interested Darren. I don’t think it’s true but it is interesting.

12. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: timeline

Well, if Williams is saying it, who am I to argue? But I haven’t heard that.

13. By William Barry on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

As I said before, Jason Licht is a great addition to the team..along with the other scouts..Other teams around the league now have to pay attention to this up and coming team!!!!! The draft was super, and I believe we will beat the Niners for the division, AND HOPEFULLY TO THE SUPER BOWL, AND A WIN…. GO CARDS!!!!!

14. By Dave on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Shannon

You heard the opposite of what I did. I was under the impression that Dray was more highly regarded as a blocker than a receiver…

15. By shannon robinson on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

Dave: You are correct about Jim Dray. However his story coming out of Stanford described a diferent journey. When he started in college he was a receiving tight end but then got hurt and was out for almost a year with a leg injury so with that limitation he had to start over and concentrate on his blocking. Maybe Darren can help on this player’s history.