As volume returner, Feely tops Peterson

Posted by Darren Urban on June 6, 2012 – 1:51 pm

So perhaps you noticed the picture I took last week for a OTA photo gallery of kicker Jay Feely collecting six punted balls without dropping any. Anything to help fellow special teamers, right?

Well, Feely saw the picture and used it to challenge Pro Bowl punt returner Patrick Peterson. Could the return man deluxe haul in seven and top Feely? Peterson decided to give it a go Wednesday after practice, taking “kicks” from the JUGS machine. Five worked. Peterson couldn’t pull in the sixth, leaving Feely bragging rights for now.

“I let Jay Feely beat me,” Peterson said, shaking his head. “I’ve got to come out tomorrow and get six. … Hey, he’s got a lot of time on his hands. I was tired. But hey, it’s all good.”

Feely, who is game to compete whenever wherever against his teammates, remained confident in his ability to beat Peterson in this small sliver of the punt return universe and said he’d be ready to wager his young cohort. Feely also is driven to eventually get seven himself.

“The hard part (to get seven) is running to the spot and kind of stick one between your legs and still be ready to catch the ball coming down,” Feely said.

The battle is a small reminder of how coach Ken Whisenhunt used to finish up the weeks during OTAs, with intrateam competitions like position players trying to kick field goals or linemen catching punts. Those haven’t been part of what the Cards are doing this summer, with the OTAs trimmed. No matter. In this matchup, Feely thinks he has the mental edge in this battle for volume-catching supremacy.

“I’ve been in his head for a long time when it comes to this,” Feely said. “I was giving him a hard time about it this morning.”

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “As volume returner, Feely tops Peterson”

1. By brad oneill on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

ill take our idiot kicker over all the other idiot kickers.

2. By Robert on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Who cares

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Robert —

RE: Who cares

Apparently you do, enough not only to read it but also to comment on it.

4. By chevy on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

My guess is Robert was replying to brad oneill.

5. By Ditship on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren I like these kinds of stories. Thanks for sharing.

6. By tucsteve on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

i care. i thought this was pretty cool and funny

7. By Jordan on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Lmao i was about to say the same thing

8. By Texascard on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

God I love jay feely

9. By Samir on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Read an article about NFC West satating that in the division, only three rookies remain unsigned, our 2 and Aj Jenkins, at what point do the rookies have to sign or they cant participate in team activities?

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Samir —

RE: Not signed

Not an issue until training camp. Don’t worry. Everyone will be signed by then.

11. By Cobra on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Nice, yet I think it would be funnier to see Peterson, Feely and the Rookie have a punting competiton.Okay, minus Peterson. There are times when you find to many balls in your hand, well you should be doing somehing else, like, getting better at your job.

12. By AndyStandsUpalltheway on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Photo reminds me of either last year or the year earlier at the Red/White scrimmage in Flagstaff when the QBs were trying to hit the goalpost and unfortunately the “ballboy” that was trying to catch errant throws actually “caught” one.
    Surely, Darren, you remember it. It drew more groans from the crowd since the early nineties.

13. By Scharf on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

This is why I love the Cardinals lol. They do little things like this that put a smile on your face.

14. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

To get an appreciation for how difficult that task is, there should be a pick a random fan from the crowd to pick six footballs off the ground and hold them. Catching all six from a punt is unbelievable (ok, believable since you posted the picture of it, but still).

15. By BFrye on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

This is a fun article – Thanks Darren. I have to say – Feely is great. He seems to not take life too seriously. And I agree with Mike E. HOLDING 6 footballs is hard enough, but catching them, holy crap.

16. By Andrew Pardue on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Robert, you just got owned by Darren Urban! HA! And Feely isn’t just a kicker, he is a beast Kicker!!! He scores touchdowns!! Feely is a beast and actully is one of my Favoriate players. People think that kickers don’t mean much to a team, but this guy is a big part of the Arizona Cardinals. Jay Feely better me a Team Captain this year, he deserves it!

17. By Cobra on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Looks like everyone is having fun with this one, which is great! I guess we have to express ourselves, since the players didn’t have their own day to do so at the end of OTAs this year.

18. By Eazy E on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Feely is a very good athlete. Good competition with the kicker and cornerback.