Measuring Floyd in June

Posted by Darren Urban on June 6, 2012 – 9:09 am

Not surprisingly, I’ve already gotten a ton of questions asking, in some shape or form, “How does Michael Floyd look so far?” The standard answer, in some shape or form? “Fine.”

It’s easy to say you want the team’s No. 1 draft pick to be eye-popping from the get-go. That’s always the hope. I’m not about to make any money with my scouting ability, but I wouldn’t say Floyd has been eye-popping. But there are reasons for that, and it’s not necessarily a negative thing. When you think about it, most of Floyd’s strengths don’t translate to the underwear season of OTAs. His game is about going up in a crowd at getting a ball, or fighting for YAC, or cracking back on a defender to spring a teammate on a running play. None of those things are going to show up now.

Besides, the number of first-round receivers that sparkle right out of the gate are few and far between, especially on a team that already has a star No. 1. Larry Fitzgerald had some injuries as a rookie, but his stats (58 catches, 780 yards, eight touchdowns) were only good, not great. I am sure the Cards would love for Floyd to have those numbers.

It’s early. If I had to guess, I’d guess Floyd will be part of the group rather than a breakout guy as a rookie. That’s usually how it plays out for receivers. He’s got plenty of time to ramp up and do more, though. At least you can kind of see what Floyd is like; if the Cards had taken an offensive lineman in the first round, it’d be almost impossible to know what they really had at this point.

(P.S. If I had to pick one draft pick that has caught my eye, it’s third-round cornerback Jemell Fleming. Not that I expect him in the starting lineup or anything, but he just looks comfortable making the jump to the NFL. That’s a good sign.)

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Measuring Floyd in June”

1. By AussieCardsFan on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren, YOU look good at making the jump to the NFL ;)
    Could totally make some money off your scouting eye.

2. By Mark in Chandler on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Every year there is a guy out of nowhere that looks good in OTS (Long, S. Williams, Hall). Does anyone fit that description this year?

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Mark in Chandler —

RE: Out of nowhere

Not that I have noticed yet.

4. By jerry on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

I think he will be close to Fitz. Even with our situation last season, with no off season, Fitz had his best year. It will be nice having some pressure off of Fitz which will take pressure off the qb and plays will be made. With an off season both defense and offensive line will rock. We will be unstoppable.

5. By AndyStandsUpalltheway on Jun 6, 2012 | Reply

Wouldn’t a more accurate prediction be Bryant Johnson’s 35 438 1td vs Anquan Boldin’s 2003 numbers?

6. By KG on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

58 for 780 and 8 scores? Absolutely would take those numbers from Floyd as a rook. All. Day. Long.

7. By Barry Bond on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Well, I am hoping big Michael Floyd as a receiver could be compared within the next 2 seasons to the big receiver in Houston? A guy by the name of Andre Johnson ! But then we have to remember Johnson has a guy by the name of Matt Schaub throwing him the ball, not a Kevin Kolb?

8. By Darren Urban on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Johnson

No, because I believe Floyd is a better player than Bryant Johnson.

9. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

@Barry Bond,

That would be great, but with all due respect to Floyd he’s yet to show Andre’s combo of speed and strength – not that many have. If he’s good enough to command a double team and an instant red-zone threat I’ll be happy with that.

Schaub’s one of the better QB’s now, but look at his numbers his first two years in Houston and it should give some hope for Kolb’s future here.

10. By dan on Jun 7, 2012 | Reply

Good scouting Darren, I totally agree with you on breaking down Floyd. His strengths are FOOTBALL strengths like breaking tackles and balance going up for the ball. I noticed he makes catches with his hands or at least tries to. I can’t stand some WRs who catch the ball with their bodies. He’s got a lot to learn, he just needs to go out and play football and do the little things and see the field and not have tunnel vision. Right now I’m Comfortably Numb with Floyd…..LOL! Other than Floyd I’d can’t wait to see Ryan Williams this year and hope he regains 100% of his abilities.

11. By Cactus jeff on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren, thanks for your honest assessment. I am disappointed, hoping for an AJ Green type talent, obviously not going to happen in the short term. He kind of reminds me of Hines Ward, not big or fast but will fight for the ball. Time will tell, but the Cards have to be disappointed.

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Cactus –

RE: Floyd

Disappointed? How could you possibly be disappointed right now? Nothing has happened. Let’s not get it confused. Green was the fourth overall pick. Back in the day, Fitz was third. Floyd was 13th. He could turn out to be great, but honestly, if he was a Green talent, he likely would have gone long before 13.

13. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

@Cactus & Darren,

I have to add, if he turns out to be another Hines Ward I’d be ecstatic with that. Not sure how fast he’s looking right now, but I doubt he’s shrunk since draft day. Even in today’s NFL I don’t think a 6’3″, 220 WR should be classified as “not big.”

14. By Eazy E on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think you remember how pitiful our QBs we’re during Fitz’s rookie year. They we’re terrible almost the whole time. Those numbers are outstanding for the QBs we had(Jeff Blake, Josh McCown, John Navarre,etc.) He was a rookie also!

15. By Eazy E on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to hear good things about Fleming too who I like even though I’m a UT fan.

16. By Cactus jeff on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Disappointed…because we all want a second #1WR, immediately, with the 13th pick! Asking a lot? You bet, just like asking your 4th round draft pick to be the starting right tackle next year.

17. By William Barry on Jul 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren, you are correct. How can Jeff Catus say that Floyd will be a failure. He has not been in any action yet. I think he will be just fine.