Being careful in OTA work

Posted by Darren Urban on June 8, 2012 – 9:39 am

The Seahawks lost a pair of organized team activities this week after the league and the Players Association deemed a previous OTA too rough. The league and the NFLPA are always on the lookout for such things. Over the years, various teams have been docked for similar violations. It even happened to the Cardinals and Dennis Green back in 2004, although the Cards lost a week of the strength and conditioning program by the time they were punished because OTAs had ended by then.

Nevertheless, staying vigilant is important for each team. The new rules say anytime players are on the field at the facility their time must be taped, just in cases the league wants/needs to review something — the Cards even had to trim trees to create better sight lines — although coach Ken Whisenhunt said he feels like his players understand how practices have to go to make sure nothing crosses the line.

“I think our guys have a good understanding of the tempo,” Whisenhunt said. “They go hard but they know when to pull off. You get competitive situations, like line stunts, when you are trying to get timing, but they know they have to pull off and no one has gotten in a position where it has gone over the top. They understand how to practice. It’s not pads, so you can’t really turn it loose like in training camp.”

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Being careful in OTA work”

1. By bigredrageasfn on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren- anything in the pipeline as far as qb competition goes? we all know they are splitting reps and ive seen notes that skelton was off but how have they looked? this pic looks like a perfect throw right over the cb in stride for the wr. how is accuracy looking? leadership? strength? footwork? i guess maybe you cant say much as an employee but im curious how the are doing and how our qb confidence is. us fans are pretty nervous about the situation

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Bigredrage –

RE: QBs

Well, in terms of the picture, if you look, it’s Patrick Peterson trying to haul it in over the outstretched hand of Andre Roberts.

As far as the competition, I have no idea what they are looking at right now and frankly, i don’t put too much stock in the battle now. It’ll come down to camp and preseason games. What leadership are you really going to show in OTAs for instance, at least in order to create separation? With no pass rush, what does the rest mean? Nothing.

3. By Brian on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

The question is did he catch it?

4. By joe holst on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

who threw that perfect pass?

5. By Blistering Fury on Jun 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren….off the subject but any idea why the event calendar does not appear to have been updated since the NFL draft. No fan fest, no training camp….would be nice to have updated as a one stop shop for event dates……

6. By cardsalltheway on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

That’s a nice photo but what happened after that? Did the defender touch or fall into the receiver? If so, wouldn’t that be illegal under the OTA rules?

7. By cardsalltheway on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Big Hat-Tip to Eason as well as the runningbacks. They all look good and ready to step in for Beanie. I’ve always had confidence in Alfonso Smith and with LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell, and even Javarris James I’m satisfied. Now if only Ken W. would use them and Anthony Sherman? I like pulling for the underdog. Heck, I’d even think Jared Crank could shine if given the chance. Notice I didn’t mention R. Williams since he hasn’t done anything for us yet and I don’t expect much from him until maybe the 2nd half of the season.

8. By Scott H on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

Are you expecting that Heap, Housler, and King will all be on the opening day roster? Just wondering…I’m all for depth, but keeping all 3 of these guys would seem excessive ( to me ) for a team that just does not utilize the TE the way many other teams do. I loved the way King was invloved and making plays early on last year. And I would love to see more of Housler. Heap, I ( still ) just don’t get. It’s been a few years since he was last noteworthy.

9. By Darren Urban on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Joe –

RE: pass

I don’t remember.

10. By Darren Urban on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: tight ends

After last season when none of them could stay healthy, I absolutely expect all three on the roster.

11. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

@Joe,

What’s so perfect about an overthrown pass that only the CB has a chance of catching? On the upside, it does give the appearance that Peterson is picking up where he left off.

12. By elrey3737 on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Kinda off topic but, the NFL network has that series of 32 teams in 32 days. Do you know what day they will be featuring the Cards?…. I would love to be able to check that out. Even though the national media rarely has good things to say about us, unless they are talking about Larry Fitz.

13. By Darren Urban on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Elrey –

RE: Cards on NFL Net

I will try to find that out.

14. By dreadfantasy on Jun 9, 2012 | Reply

Looks like there was some misunderstanding:

That was either an underthrown or overthrown pass being intercepted.

How is the run D looking as far as reads go. I’d really like to hold Lynch under 50 yards game 1.

15. By Scott H on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

OK, I hear ya. With Heap, the injuries are pretty much built in at this point and have been for the past several seasons. You know I think in simple terms, so my mindset would be, if injuries were a problem with a particular position last year, why stick with the guy who you pretty much know – based on his recent history – is not gonna be able to stay healthy? Keep 3 TE’s if you must. But why does he have to be one of them???

16. By Darren Urban on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Heap

And replace him with who?

You sure, for instance, Housler will pan out or stay healthy? He should but you don’t know.

17. By Darren on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

Did you see that John Clayton thinks Housler will be a break out player this season? Not just on the Cardinals but in the entire NFC. His size and speed beside the current healthy wr group…
    Do you think he has the talent? and Do the Cardinals have QB’s that can exploit talent all over the field (accuracy)?
    thanks

18. By Darren Urban on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

Darren —

RE: Housler

I do think Housler could have a good season, a breakout one if you will. It will hinge on the QB play in part, yes.

19. By cardsalltheway on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

That picture certainly does look like a one-on-one drill(which I thought wasn’t allowed under the new OTA rules? Is that picture from this year?

20. By Troy on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

cardsallthway,

HHMMMM, why does everything you say have to be negative? Is that last year’s pics? Isn’t that against OTA’s rules? Why not enjoy the conversations? Everytime I get on this blog and your on, I know you will be looking for the Pessimistic sides of everything. CARDSALLTHEWAY would seem to me be EXCITED about the year.

Just saying.

21. By Mike Ellingboe on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

As I understand the new OTA rules, what is shown in the picture is allowed during Phase 3 as long as no live contact occurs. From what we can see from the picture there is nothing to indicate there was any, as Roberts is diving to break the play up instead of going after Peterson.

Out of curiosity, as a Cardinals fan, and with your obvious interest in monitoring any possible OTA infractions, why aren’t you mocking Carroll for not knowing the OTA rules? You’re obviously chomping at the bit to find any example of Whisenhunt making the same mistake. Sure you don’t want to call yourself Hawksalltheway?

22. By clssylssy on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see Heap back in the lineup, with his experience and skill, I don’t understand the whining. The TE position is an important weapon and I was hoping that we would be looking for some depth here. Hope Housler CAN have a breakout year cause he was looking really good last year before he got hurt. I’m pretty pleased with the way things are shaping up and can’t wait for the HOF game against the Saints. Did Fitz have his training camp this year or is that now against the rules? Seems like it would be in everybody’s best interest for these guys to be able to stay fresh on their own time.. Counting down the days!

23. By Scott H on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

darren –

Well, sure, I hope Housler will stay healthy AND pan out. But, again, what does “pan out” mean with THIS team when you’re talking about the TE position??? Players need opportunities to “pan out” and TE’s here have not had many of those over the last several years.

As for your question about replacing Heap with whom, well, I just don’t see where he is all that difficult to replace. Surely, there will be players that come available down the line when teams have to trim down the rosters. Can’t tell ya who those players will be until it happens but there will be guys available. Heck, anyone capable of making a solid contribution and has no recent hx of injuries would be fine just for that reason alone.

24. By William Barry on Jul 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I feel it my bones that Housler will have a breakout year, and yes, we do need 3 TE’s…just in case of injuries.

2. Jun 9, 2012: Saturday one-liners | All Tim Tebow News