Bidwill worked for Hall game

Posted by Darren Urban on June 11, 2012 – 5:50 pm

Cardinals president Michael Bidwill did an interview on Arizona Sports 620 just now, and among the highlights was a brief explanation of how the Cardinals got picked for the Hall of Fame game against the Saints. Bidwill said he didn’t want to go into details, but he had a “conversation or two” in New York with league people over time. “I wanted to make sure we get more nationally televised games,” Bidwill said.

Now the Cards are in the Hall of Fame game (Nationally, there is also the ESPN Thursday night preseason game in Tennessee and regular season games on NFL Network in St. Louis and the ESPN Monday night game against San Francisco.)

A couple of other Bidwill notes:

– On his feelings about having a competition at quarterback: “I think competition makes the individual players better. I’m excited for the competition not only at the quarterback position but every position.”

– On the possibility the NFL will be using replacement referees: “I’m not concerned. I think the league has a plan in place” if the NFL can’t get a new CBA done with the current officials.

– On what drives him every day in his job: “I want to get back to where we were in late January and early February of 2009, competing to play in the country’s biggest game, the Super Bowl. That’s something that drives me a lot.”

Tags:

11 Responses to “Bidwill worked for Hall game”

1. By clssylssy on Jun 11, 2012 | Reply

Good job Mr. Bidwell. It’s really great to see the organization being so proactive in getting our team in front of fans nationwide so that they will get to know us up close. We have great players and coaches who are more than just professional athletes; they are great guys, humanitarians and positive role models for the sport. WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

2. By cards4life on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

I dnt think there has been enough said about Michael Bidwill and the direction he has taken this team top free agents are getting signed to long term deals(campell,Fitz,) were at least attemping to bring in some big names (payton) somthing that would would have seemed impossible in the ole days, not to knock Bidwil SR he did bring and keep the Cards in AZ without which we might not have a profootball team or stadium to date!
    Darren
    Do you think players around the league will start to notice M. bidwills commiment to not jus win but get back to the suberbowl and how much do you think it will affect are chances of bringing some big names in free agency’s to come?

3. By Dynosoar on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Our team’s come a long way from using an old high school in St. Louis for facilities (Yes, as my username implies, I do remember those days). We have Mike Bidwill’s vision and efforts to thank for what we have today.

I love that in commercials, Cardinal footage is actually in the clips and that never happened when I was young (or even during my 20’s and 30’s). I’m excited for this season and it looks like we have a realistic shot at the Big Dance next February and that just builds the anticipation.

Thanks Mike and Go Cards!

4. By Bruce on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Sounds good Mr. President!

5. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

cards4life –

RE: Free agents

I think the franchise’s reputation is already better; I don’t think, for instance, Peyton Manning was just goofing around when he visited Tempe. That said, it usually comes down to money.

6. By Dre on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Good job mr. B getting more out of the team and expecting more. We need a big year so we can get the media on the team we may never be America team but we can turn some fans in to the bird gang.

7. By cards4life on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

true true

8. By joe67 on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    I am right there with you. I remember the good and not so good and bad days in Stl. (Season Tix from 79 to 86)
    I agree the SB is a possibility, but what we really need is a winning record, and the playoffs on a consistent basis. Do that and the respect and the SB will happen sooner rather than later. And yes, this franchise is turning the corner. Maybe not all the way around the bend yet, but it IS happening. REALLY need a winning season this year, and even a Wild Card spot would be great.

9. By cardsalltheway on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

“On what drives him every day in his job”
    It sure isn’t talking to the press!

10. By Eazy E on Jun 20, 2012 | Reply

The replacement referees idea is a terrible one for the nfl imo. They need to figure that one out because you kinda get used to the hochulis’ and careys’ and mccauleys’ of the world. They already said they would get a bunch of college refs and cfl refs. No, bad bad idea.

11. By William Barry on Jul 8, 2012 | Reply

I have been following the Cardinals Football Club since the early 60′s, and we have made great strides, (New Stadium, New Complex in the 90′s, and Super Bowl Appearance)…thanks to Michael and William Bidwill.