“Feast or famine”

Posted by Darren Urban on June 12, 2012 – 1:26 pm

As Larry Fitzgerald came off the field after the first minicamp practice of the week, he shook his head. “Feast or famine for me today,” he said, not happily. It seemed like any other summer workday for Fitz, even with the one obvious drop that left him less than thrilled. But that’s Fitz, the guy who caught a pass downfield and then sprinted all the way to the end zone just to finish, even as everyone else had moved back toward the opposite 20-yard line.

In a world where everyone has highs and lows, Fitz doesn’t want any lows. Don’t know if that’s possible, but he’s clearly efforting.

– Only one guy was missing from the mandatory work, and that was defensive lineman Nick Eason, excused to tend to family issues. Offensive linemen D.J. Young (knee) and Blake DeChristopher (back) are out, and running back Beanie Wells (knee) sat too. Everyone else worked at least some.

– Rookie guard Senio Kelemete (below) returned after missing all the OTAs. He couldn’t come because school was still in session. He kept his head in his playbook while he was absent. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he’s still far behind right now, no shock as a rookie.

The Cards go back on the field this afternoon.

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to ““Feast or famine””

1. By Cards4ever on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

We know just about everyone in the NFL can play the game and has the talent. I strongly believe that chemistry is the deciding factor on how the team finishes out the season. How is the chemistry on this team so far? Do they like eachother enough to rally behind eachother in desperate times?

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Cards4 –

RE: Chemistry

I won’t argue your basic premise. But it’s June.

3. By roastmeforbeingacardsfan on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

At beanie being out will give williams more reps.

4. By Walter H Richters on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

In your opinion, assumning we have both Ryan and Beanie, will that be enough of a threat to get our recievers open? Shough we use the pass to open the run, or vice verse?

5. By D on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Shocked that they are not working out in the ASU bubble this afternoon
    drink plenty of fluids…

6. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Walter H –

RE: RBs

I don’t know if it will be enough of a threat or not. I’m not changing the way I run the offense because of it, however.

7. By Walter H Richters on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Although I have been a Cardinals fan for 50 years now, (born and raised in Mo.) I don’t remember having this much potential going into any season and that includes the years w/Kurt. I personally think we finally have a tight end threat, along with to wide outs and adding in the screens from our running backs and slot recievers it looks like all we need is for the starting QB to know the scheme and have the confidence to pull the trigger quick when he is blitzed. First downs will break the defense from blitzing too much. (just a Po Boys opine.

8. By Jzoully on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

I hope Nick Eason is good, he is an old style Pitt player that we need.

9. By Jesse Robles on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

It is good just to see Ryan Williams running, I know it is not great having Beanie recovering now, but Id rather Williams get majority of the Reps now to catch up from missing all of last season. I Just hope both can consistently stay healthy, for the Cardinals and their careers sake.

10. By shannon robinson on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Dear Walter – I value your assesment – your analysis is quite clear & in a nutshell, I agree. I hope this Po Boy is right – we all deserve a winning season – I see massive improvement up front in our offensive line – Run, Beanie, Run! 50 years a Cards Fan! Great!

11. By johnnybluenose on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

darren, “efforting”? were you just checking to see if i was paying attention? if there has been any mention of dan williams then i must confess i missed it. is he healthy? is he making an impact at all?

12. By alexmannsportskings on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Not sure if I missed your opinion on your thoughts of the first day of Minicamps. Saw that some of the coaches and players were happy, how about you?

13. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Johnnyblue -

RE: efforting/Williams

Just a fan of the Dan Patrick Show. As for Williams, he’s doing fine. Not like a nose tackle is going to bust out in June. Can’t, given the rules.

14. By Darren Urban on Jun 12, 2012 | Reply

Alexmann -

RE: first day

I was impressed with the energy. The rest of it seemed fine. I’m a “it’s just June” kind of guy.

15. By Eazy E on Jun 20, 2012 | Reply

High standards should bring out the best in everybody and the person that fitz is, he is competitive and doesn’t want to leave any stones unturned and that is why he is my favorite player in the NFL.