Whiz patient with QB battle, and ‘lil Sweetness confident

Posted by Darren Urban on June 13, 2012 – 1:31 pm

There may be #CardsFanFest tonight — all the details here — but the Cards still had their “other” minicamp workout (a walkthrough) and then coach Ken Whisenhunt talked a little bit about his quarterback battle.

No, nothing has been resolved yet. John Skelton and Kevin Kolb continue to share first-unit work.

When he was asked if he is hoping he can make a decision sooner rather than later, Whisenhunt couldn’t help but let out a small smile. “”If it was up to me, I’d prefer we had a quarterback resolution two years ago. Obviously that hasn’t happened. When it happens it happens.

“The guys are working hard and getting better and that’s all you can ask of them. The next stage is training camp and then preseason games. It usually works out — and I’m not just talking about the quarterback position — where someone distinguishes themselves. … You’ve got to let this competition play out honestly.”

I don’t want to waste too much on this subject right now. Nothing has been determined. But just in case some believe Whisenhunt is tone deaf to the quarterback issues since Kurt Warner left, he clearly is not.

– On another subject of note, there was a report saying running back Ryan Williams might not be back into a few games into the regular season. That’s not the case. Williams said he is expecting to be ready for the regular-season opener against Seattle. Now, he might not play a ton in the preseason, and may get started later playing preseason games, but it’s the regular season for which he wants to be ready.

“My expectation is back by Week One,” said Williams, who is expecting to do some full team work for the first time tonight at FanFest. “Preseason is more ‘We’ll see, do we want him in here.’ Most important thing is Week One. Regardless of what goes on in preseason, by the first week, the record is still 0-0.”

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Whiz patient with QB battle, and ‘lil Sweetness confident”

1. By Jzoully on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

Well whoever the quarterback is, I am sure he will be groomed to be the leader of the Cardinals. I am hoping that whoever is the quarterback that he take in account that there is one guy behind him that openly could compete. Anyways Ryan Williams is a beast, but Darren I have a question, what about Beanie? How is he doing off of injury?

2. By cards4life on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

Fingers crossed!!! Rlly wanna see wat Williams an beanie can do healthy, they can both put some punishment on a D and wear them down over the course of a game throw in a little combo of the hypen and the potenial makes my mouth water and well pass protection might be a ? I always thought given a chance to run the ball 25 to 35 times a games this O-line could prove very formidable

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: Beanie

As of now, Beanie isn’t as far along as Williams, but Whisenhunt doesn’t seem overly concerned at this point.

4. By Scott H on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

Don’t even know why people are asking Whiz if he hopes he can make a decison sooner than later RIGHT NOW. Geez, can’t people just relax??? I mean, I’m just assuming this will have to play out during training camp and at least SOME of the pre-season…won’t it??? Again, to whomever is asking the question(s), just relax.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – regardless of how it plays out and who is starting on opening day, Kolb’s recent hx of injury seems to make it a good bet that Skelton will be playing at some point. So, we ALL better hope he is looking good.

5. By Eric Y on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

As a guy with a screwy knee, and having a friend who’s knee has been through 3 surgeries (sports related) I just get nervous knowing that both of our RBs have potentially serious knee problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed that between the 2 of them, we have an every down back for 16 games. I know it’s wat we’ve got, just nervous about it.

6. By Andrew Pardue on Jun 13, 2012 | Reply

I met Ryan Williams tonight and I told him ”i can’t wait to see you on the field.” “Thanks Man, that means alot, i can’t wait to get on the field.” But when i saw him sit down, i fliped a switch! i told my dad, “O MY GOD THERE IS RYAN WILLIMAS! I MUST GET HIS SIGNATURE!!!” which i did and we had a nice little conversation.

7. By Patrick Eagan on Jun 14, 2012 | Reply

I wish I could have been there. It’s not that easy though being a fan of the cardinals when you live in New York State. GO CARDINALS.

8. By johnnybluenose on Jun 14, 2012 | Reply

@Patrick Eagan. I know what you mean. I would have enjoyed going to Fanfest but I live in Nova Scotia so it’s a long cab ride away. I’m lucky to get to two games a year, this year is looking like miami and philly on back to back Sundays and hopefully I can get to Foxborough when they play the Pats. I’m hoping that will be a meaningful game for our side. If we can stay healthy we should be a strong contender this year. Not that it will be easy. Other teams have gotten better too. GO CARDINALS.

9. By clssylssy on Jun 14, 2012 | Reply

Wow did the tabloid press run with the booing incident ! How embarassiinig and unfortunate for the team and the rest of the Cards fans who have confidence that the team is working together and the details will be taken care of in camp. Actually, we are fortunate to have some depth at this position where more than a few teams are where we were a few years ago with nobody! I wish we were as set with offensive tackles and running backs as we are in the QB position. Our defense and special teams promises to make up for weaknesses in other areas but we could be contenders what with the mix of hungry youth and veterans determined to leave their mark. Yep, I’m excited and can’t wait to be singing “How Do You Like Us Know” when we put those stink’n 9ers on their back. GOOD JOB COACHES AND CARDS PLAYERS…WE DO THIS TOGETHER! …seems I remember Kurt Warner being booed also and that worked out well for everybody:)

10. By Eazy E on Jun 20, 2012 | Reply

That is one cool ass nickname ”lil sweetness”. If he is in walter payton’s ballpark as a player, we’ll be alright.

11. By Eazy E on Jun 20, 2012 | Reply

I love the guy as a player and a person, seems like a cool dude.

12. By William Barry on Jul 8, 2012 | Reply

I live in CT, and ALWAYS listen to the Card’s broadcast on Sundays, on NFL field pass, or watch a National broadcast. I would not miss it for anything.