Breathing (cap) space for Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on June 22, 2012 – 7:17 pm

Now that the roster for training camp is (virtually) set with 90 players, the Cardinals are in a decent place with their salary cap space. Thanks to a list from profootballtalk.com, we know the Cards have about $4.55 million in cap space right now. It’s not a ton, but 13 teams have less and since the Cards have signed all their draft picks, it is a reasonable amount of space heading to Flagstaff.

Even if the Cards don’t make another move, the cap space will change depending on their final roster. Right now the number is the top 51 cap numbers on the roster; when the regular season starts that will include all 53 on the roster as well as anyone on injured reserve and the practice squad.

Tags:

26 Responses to “Breathing (cap) space for Cards”

1. By Blake Allen Murphy on Jun 22, 2012 | Reply

Do you foresee any other free agents out there that Arizona would use up that cap space to fill? Any positions where they need a little more depth?

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 22, 2012 | Reply

Blake Allen —

RE: Free agents

I don’t expect anything unless there is injury or a guy unable to rehab injury.

3. By Jzoully on Jun 22, 2012 | Reply

Make a mark, I think that we have all the keys to a championship.

4. By CZarr on Jun 22, 2012 | Reply

So, totally off topic, but I came across one of the best images I’ve seen of a Card. It’s our DDock with a great caption. “Monsters Do Exist”.

Thought I’d share with the readers.

5. By Kurt on Jun 22, 2012 | Reply

the front office has done a great job this off season… Bravo

6. By LUKE on Jun 23, 2012 | Reply

i think we have all the keys except the most important,qb.if our running game is as good as it should be maybe it will cover up that weakness….

7. By Peter in Canada on Jun 23, 2012 | Reply

LUKE –

In general you are right but Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were not A1 QB’s and they won Super Bowls . Others such as Neill O’Donnell and Rex Grossman got there and SF were only a whisker away last year. Maybe one of ours can make a giant leap forward.

8. By Eric Y on Jun 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m always lost when talking about salary cap. Does any of the left over space this year have an effect on next year’s cap situation?

9. By Darren Urban on Jun 23, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y –

RE: cap carryover

The cap is an always evolving thing. The cap never goes away over the year; the way it is calculated changes a bit from offseason to regular season but teams always must be in compliance.

10. By Jay on Jun 23, 2012 | Reply

I would assume with 4.5 million in cap space the Cards feel good where they are, but I am sure they need to have some space available when the preseason and regular season starts in case they wish to sign a player who gets released, or in case of injury or some unforeseen circumstance during the season.
    Do you know how much space the Cards have had in the last few years at the beginning of the season?

11. By BIG RED on Jun 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey Luke, don’t worry Skelton is there. This is the greatest story ever told in the Gridiron.

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 24, 2012 | Reply

Jay —

RE: Recent space

I do not know exactly, but they usually want at least a couple of million for those circumstances.

13. By Sport245245 on Jun 24, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada. I agree with you for the most part and like your optimism. You always keep it real and realistic. One month to the day until training camp. Can you say FLAGSTAFF..

14. By Andy Kw on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

After the season of 2012 is over, I hope the Cardinals re-sign Paris Lenon and Greg Toler. If Stewart Bradley can produce this season, I expect him to be a backup for another year or two and then become the starter when Lenon’s contract expires (lets hope Lenon will be back for the next 2-3yrs). If not, I really hope Bradley is cut from the team. If Dan Williams doesn’t produce this season, cut him from the team or try to trade him. If he is still overweight and isn’t healthy, I hope David Carter replaces him because Carter in my opinion is better. It doesn’t matter if Dan was a #1 pick because if he can’t produce, he shouldn’t be on the team. I expect DeMarco to be an impact player this season even if he is the #5 WR on the team. But overall, the Cards got everything in place to be a contender in this division. This division isn’t weak anymore. I expect SF, SEA, and ARI to have winning seasons and STL will be at the bottom of the Division with no more than 3 games won (but I expect a 1-15 or 0-16 none the less.) SF has the dangerous LBs in P.Willis and N.Bowman. Also the DE and DBs in Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, D. Goldson. They got an elite WR in Moss and a RB in Gore. SEA got the DBs in Browner and Safeties in Chancellor and Earl Thomas. They also got the power house running back in Lynch although I expect him to regress. They got a lot of Questions at QB but they should be in a good spot with an agressive defense. The Arizona Cardinals got the Dangerous Wide Receivers in Larry Fitzgerald and Potential Wideout Michael Floyd. I expect Early Doucet and Roberts to contribute hugely with the way they played last season. We have dangerous RBs in Wells, Williams and Howling. LaRod is extremely fast and he has contributed every year not only on special teams but also the offense. This guy can catch and run. I wish he was in contention for the #1 RB spot. We got the DL in Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett. We also got the backup in Nick Eason. We got the dangerous trios of LBs in Acho, Washington, Lenon, and Schofield. I expect Haggans and Holliday to be the backup but should still contribute. We got the Safeties in Adrian Wilson and Rhodes. Rhodes had a bad season last year because of injuries but if you look at the way he played in 2010, he got tremendous potential. And nice backups in Sanders, R.Johnson and Justin Bethel. One bad season means nothing.We also got the DBs in William Gay, Toler, Peterson, Fleming, Adams and Jefferson. Jefferson is an interesting prospect but should be much improved. I still expect him to be the backup though. Our OL is probably the most improved. With Snyder and Rookie Bobby Massie, our OL should be ranked between 10-20 this season and allow no more than 40 sacks. Our TEs are not so dangerous but are decent. The NFC West will probably be the most dangerous division in the NFL this season. Don’t expect STL to beat any of the NFC rivals this season. Even with there acquistions (CB Cortland Finnegan (TENN), WR Steve Smith (PHI), and C Scott Wells (GB)), this team doesn’t have what it takes yet to make it to the top. Jeff Fisher, your going to have a rough season in the NFL this season. If you can’t develop Bradford, then Bradford will just be known as a bust and will join David Carr and Jamarcus Russell has the biggest busts ever.

15. By Chris on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

AndyKw —

Wall… o’… text…

16. By Todd on Jun 25, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait for the season to start! I’m bored. Anybody wanna go fishing?

17. By kmwatersaz on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

I must say, the draft was more impressive than past drafts in my opinion. Floyd was a home run. Still cannot believe he was still there at 13. He will be the largest difference maker in a long time. Beanie could be if anyone ever blocks for him. If Whisenhunt and Grimm cannot do better at OL, they should both be gone. They have had plenty of time and I see the same sieve every year. And now the fan base looks past that and trashes the QB’s? Give me a break. No QB can look good with that kind of blocking, or should I say non-blocking.

18. By kmwatersaz on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Front office did draft well. Floyd is a home run and amazingly was still there for #13. But if the OL is no better, Whiz and Grimm should lose their jobs. It has been too long – they have had plenty of time to do something. And they have not.

19. By CDNelson86 on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

- To The Haters

Whiz, Grimm and Co. have been doing what they can at trying to improve our O-line,. but unfortunatly its not like the rest of the skill possitions, it is a hard one to asses and gather good, or great talent, they have been steadly improving it as much as they could without hurting the rest of the areas of need. I think this year our line will look much better. I kno ppl like to say if we had a better line then the QB would look better but the fact is if the QB doesnt recognize the Defence that is on the feild then no matter how good the blocking is they play will not work and result in a Pick or a Sack Period. ASK ANY COACH,.. they will tell u that the line and QB have to be on the same page or it really doesnt matter. ok im done for another 3 months LOL… Enjoy ur simi vacation darren, looking forward to the training camp pod cast the enjoyment of seeing the team solidify.!

20. By Mr Robles on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren have you had anytime to ask Dockett, Campbell, & Wilson there thoughts on not making the Top 100 on NFL network? I cant believe these guys dont get any recognition, very upsetting.

21. By John the Draft Guy on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

To Peter and others;

In todays football, the QB is crucial. Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer both won 10 and 12 years ago respectivly. They both had defenses that are considered two of the best all-time. I think our defense is good but its hard to say we are the 2001 ravens yet. ( I think Schofield and Acho will determine how good we become)

Since then, rule changes and the evolution of the offense has put more and more on the QB, High flying offenses are shattering records. I think one of the best stats out there is of all the RBs in the TOP 100 players, none have won a superbowl. NONE. While Brees, Rodgers, Brady, the Mannings, and Big Ben have won the last 10 superbowls. and lets not get mislead, Between and before Johnson and Dilfer , the QBs were Brady, Warner, Elway and Farve.

I’m not saying Kolb or Skelton can’t lead this team to the super bowl. But to think we can win the super bowl in todays NFL without a good, maybe great , effort from the QB , you are only fooling yourself.

Our running games and defense will help keep us in games and maybe win them, But our QB will determine how far we will go. I just hope the fact that we don’t know who the QB is going to be, isn’t a sign of things to come.

22. By John the Draft Guy on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Andy kw

Don’t write off Jeff Fisher and the rams. First, Fisher is way to good of a coach to think his team won’t be competitive. Worst to first? Not likely, but competitive.
    Second, I would trade Kolb and Skelton for Bradford in a heart beat. Bradford suffered from a bad oline and very little talent at wr. He is very talented.

Also, I’m lost at why you are cutting guys and resigning others before the season. What if Bradley beats out Lenon this year? What if Toler gets passed by Fleming, Gay, and Jefferson. Do you still want him resigned? Slow down a bit and lets see how guys perform before we cut or sign anyone.

NFC West; Best division in football? Ravens, steelers, and bengals. Or Packers, Lions, Bears. Or maybe the best is Saints, Falcons, and Panthers. But I do believe the division will not be the joke of the NFC.

23. By Darren Urban on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

Mr Robles —

RE: Top 100

I have not. They have scattered for the summer, and I’ve been off.

24. By redboyds on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

$4.55? Once the 53 are set and that number is equal to or greater than. Perhaps I would then look at #58 and say In your first two years in the NFL you have managed to amass; 185 total tackles, six sacks, 107 tackles (95 solo) in 2012 alone so we feel you have out-performed your rookie deal and would like to impart onto you a sweet new contract.

25. By Peter in Canada on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

John the Draft Guy – Your points are well-taken and you are correct almost all of the time. I didn’t mean to imply you can win with a dud at QB just one who is not great if you have the remaining parts like the Ravens and Bucs had. The 49’ers last year came within a muffed punt of going to the Super Bowl. And had they gone I wouldn’t have said they couldn’t have beaten the Pats. And you must agree that Smith is not a top QB.

26. By William Barry on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

The Cards have a great nucleus…they will beat the Niners this year to win the division…..