As Fitz is declared top 10 (seventh, actually)

Posted by Darren Urban on June 27, 2012 – 3:24 pm

The NFL Network’s summer tour of the top 100 players — as chosen by a vote of players — wraps up tonight. Somewhere in the final 10, Larry Fitzgerald will have his named called.

(The show airs at 5 p.m. Arizona time. And I am sure we will have Fitz’s segment available on the site soon after. … And here it is.)

Last year, Fitz was No. 14. Where will he be in a couple of hours? Don’t know. Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Calvin Johnson and Patrick Willis remain. I will be interested where Fitz is in relation to Johnson. Something tells me that could get the fans riled up. I already know — since I watched it unfold on Twitter — that people aren’t thrilled Calais Campbell/Adrian Wilson/Darnell Dockett didn’t make the list. Only Patrick Peterson will join Fitz.

Is Campbell or one of the others one of the current 100 best players in the league? An argument can be made, sure. I don’t know how many players participated in the voting, but someone came up with this list. (I mean, is Eli Manning really only the 31st best player? Worse than James Harrison? Or Wes Welker? Um, no.) This is about talking about the NFL in the deadest time of the NFL calendar, however. Don’t ever forget that. Lists are popular to make because they generate such conversation. And we are certainly talking about it, right?

UPDATE: Fitz was seventh. Calvin Johnson was third, behind Rodgers and Brees. Said Fitz on Twitter, “Honored 2 b voted a top 10 player by my peers. Congrats 2 all others. I will continue striving 4 perfection. 6 spots 2 go. #FaithFocusFinish

UPDATE, THE SEQUEL: Fitz had an even longer — and poignant — response on Facebook:

“Having been voted a Top 10 NFL player for the 2012 season is a cherished honor because the selection was made by my peers, and a player can have no greater accolade nor satisfaction than knowing that those he lines up against for 60 minutes every week value to the highest degree his talent, competitiveness, effort, productivity and achievement.

“I’ve completed 8 NFL seasons, & while I am somewhat satisfied with personal achievements, I have come close only once to achieving the ultimate team goal.

“Being a productive WR is no longer enough. I’ve grown into a position of leadership as a Cardinals team captain and have tried to expand my role as a mentor and example for our core of young players.

“My sincere hope is that we can get back to the playoffs on a regular basis and become Super Bowl Champions.

“Our team was 2minutes away from that goal on February 4, 2009, and similarly, my 7th rank of NFL top players leaves room for improvement.

“I will strive as always to expand my role and contributions to team success, be as productive as possible,and win a Championship…..”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “As Fitz is declared top 10 (seventh, actually)”

1. By Bruce on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

No doubt sir. These things don’t really matter. C’mon! Excellent point about Eli. Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully though this will add to the chips on the shoulders of our Defense. Our D definitely has an ax to grind.

2. By gbaby on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you have any idea who will be the Cards third string quarterback?

3. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

gbaby —

RE: 3rd string QB

Just a hunch, but I think it will come down to Ryan Lindley and Rich Bartel.

4. By Sergio on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Although I don’t agree with their thoughts, they don’t bother me. The more people underrate the Cardinals, the more it fuels the fire. I am getting getting that 2008-09 feeling again!

5. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

If Lindley makes the squad you would think the team would try to protect him by puttting Bartel on the Practice Squad.
    Is he elgible, Darren?

6. By exatraz on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Am I the only one irked that Megatron is rated higher than Fitzgerald? I think Fitzgerald is the greatest WR in the league. He dropped 1 pass all season and had multiple games on an all out tear with not the greatest QB play. Meanwhile CJ had a QB that threw for 5,000 yards! It amazes me that people still can’t admit that Fitzgerald is the best WR in the NFL. (Also CJ dropped 1/24 passes!)

7. By Mr Robles on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Hope this really fuels our fire its very dissapointing. Its titled Top 100 of 2011 Manning didnt even play ??? sideline watching is not a position. Earl Thomas over Wilson no dissrespect to Thomas but he aint no A Dub. If Tebow made it why not Skelton he had a good run too. Campbell was a menace but no recognition I swear were always getting snubbed one way or another. Darren can it be because we did not have any prime time games? Dont know what else to say or reason to come up with.

8. By Ed-MichCardsFan on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I have to second that–what Sergio said…getting that feeling, too!

9. By in fitz we trust on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

i love that tweet by fitz

10. By in fitz we trust on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

FITZGERALD > megatron

11. By Jesse Robles on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Calvin Johnson, 3? You are going to need to show me some consistency first, 2 1,000 yard seasons in a row, compared to Fitz’s Five 1,000 yard seasons in a row, obviously put him on top. Calvin wishes. BTW Fitz had 2 QB’s last year, and 5 the year before, AND we have Floyd now. SEE YOU IN AZ DETROIT!! December 16th!

12. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Bartel PS

I think he might be, but I do not know for sure. I don’t expect four QBs, though. I don’t see the point. No way to get everyone enough reps to make it worth it.

13. By Dre on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

If we had a qb that was great the whole team would be up there. but fitz is fitz and he does more with less then any wr in the game he Is great a player. With the flode pick and Roberts picking up his game we should see him in the top 3 after the ring the great card nation and the great state of az deserves.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Qbs are more common on PS and if Lindley was put on waivers and he’s all that and a bag of chips like he’s portented to be he won’t pass. But IMO, Bartell is worth keeping also.
    Any way the “loser” of Kolb/Skeleton could be cut?

That’s humor, folks.

15. By SSG Tim Roberts on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

This is Fitz at his best man! Striving for perfection and for his team. I still believe that him being 7 (while DEFINATELY NOT where I would place him) is a good spot, I also think that it is underselling the man. I’m thinking folks are going by popularity instead of talent. If you look at Fitz and his stats, there is no question in my mind he stands out as number 1. He is popular throughout the league, can outrun and outpower you, catches like a beast and can block you. Face it, this man has NO FEAR in him what so ever! Out of 8 years in the league, the man has been injured only once that has affected his game. And even then he still had 1,000 recieving! I dont think they took into consideration his leadership abilities or his effect on the game itself. Yes, there are fast recievers out there. But not alo of those that are as physical or out right talented as Fitz. I’m a Cards fan, and I know my bias is towards my team. But “IF” Fitz were playing for someone else? I’d still say that man was number 1. This was selling him too short

16. By wsphxcardsfan on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

if there is any justice in this world, Fitz will get his ring

17. By Ben on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

We are the luckiest fans in the NFL for having such a great player, and person on our team. Feels good to be a Cardinal fan after reading that.

18. By azdesertrat1953 on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I was reading a story the other day, from Bleacher Report, and the writer was saying that the Cards are like a sleeping giant. I have a feeling that after the team thinks about all that is talked about and Not talked about and the people that just Laugh Out Loud when the Cards are talked about, They Are Going to be Awake!

The Offence, Defense, the whole Team in general pulled Themselves out of a Deep hole that normally wipes a team out, this past Year. A sleeping giant?

This GIANT RED BIRD is Wide Awake, Hungry and is Much More than Just a little Upset!!!

GO CARDS !!!

19. By SteveG on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I was surprised that his catch against Philli. (over his head) was not included…but then, the piece would have to be a LOT longer if all his GREAT catches from any season were all included.

Give Megatron the size, maybe speed (the nickname fo’sho!) Hands? NO WAY!!

Bottom line? I wouldn’t swap anymore than Detroit would (Suspect I talk for all in that sentiment). Glad he is a Red Bird and a true pleasure to watch.

20. By Ditship on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

I can remember back at the beginning of the 2008 season when they Signed Fitz to his first monster deal.. I debated on the Cards msg board whether he was worth it or if we should just trade him to the Eagles (or whoever) and Keep Q and pay him. 4 years later the thought makes me realize why I do what I do for a living. Here’s a hint.. It’s not coaching football or making football related decisions. I couldn’t be happier for Fitz and the Cards for paying and keeping the man. Now we just need to make the playoffs and go to the big game again. I truly think we’ve got the D for it. We just need one of our QBs to stand up and take us there.

21. By Scott H on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

GREAT to see Fitz in the top 10 where he absolutely belongs. Last year’s ranking was very un-just. Yeah, the QB play in Arizona in 2010 fell WAAAAAY off and that affected Fitz’ numbers. OK. But did it diminish his skills? Absolutely not. In terms of sheer talent and Skill, there is not a WR in the league right now who is BETTER than Larry Fitzgerald.

Calvin / Andre Johnson are elite WR’s in this league and together with Fitz, they are THE top tier at their position in the NFL at this time. I’d say you can make an arguement for any of them as to who is the top dog. But Fitz is the only one to this point who has helped propel his team to a SB. And his performances during that playoff run were just other-worldly. As the stages kept getting bigger, Fitz just kept elevating his game to higher and higher levels.. IMHO, anyone else who wants to lay a claim to being a better WR than Fitz has to match or exceed that same level of performance on that same stage. Neither Johnson has come close.

But give BOTH Johnson’s credit for something else – Like Fitzgerald during the past two season, neither one of them has played with another WR or TE who draws ANY significant attention away from them. And other teams are still un-able to stop them. It’s what makes ALL THREE OF THEM truly great WR’s.

22. By Eazy E on Jul 1, 2012 | Reply

Alright, some of you Cardinals fans sound pathetic. Calvin is a beast(hence Megatron the nickname). He had an outstanding year last year. We can still love our WR and congratulate Calvin.

23. By Scott H on Jul 2, 2012 | Reply

Steve G –

Or the catch against the Panthers in the 2008 playoffs. Or the flea flicker catch against the Eagles in the NFC title game. Or EITHER of his TD receptions in the Super Bowl. Yes, the list just goes on and on. And on.

Beautiful thing, ain’t it?

2. Jun 7, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Peterson checks in at No. 33