Rookies in Canton, and Berman’s debut with Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on June 27, 2012 – 9:30 am

A couple of tidbits as I return from some time off:

The NFL’s draftees are in Canton this week for the annual rookie symposium, a plan last in place back in 2008. A brainchild of Hall of Famer Michael Irvin, who thought it was important young players understand the history of the league, the draftees get to see the Hall of Fame while attending seminars how to deal with life as a pro athlete. Below is a picture of some Cards’ rookies looking at a Hall display (that’s Nate Potter on the left, Michael Floyd on the right). There’s also a shot of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, who grew up in a military family, checking out the Pat Tillman display. (A photo gallery is here.)

– In other news, longtime ESPN anchor Chris Berman, who has been the face of that network’s TV coverage, will finally get a chance to do a couple games of play-by-play in the NFL this season. The network trumpeted his placement on the second “Monday Night Football” game of opening weekend — Chargers at Raiders — with the annual doubleheader that night, working with Trent Dilfer. But Berman’s actual debut in the booth for play-by-play will be a couple weeks earlier, calling the Cardinals’ preseason game in Tennessee that will be televised nationally on ESPN.

“That’s great news,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said on Berman’s move to the booth. “I don’t know if there’s anyone who brings more enthusiasm and passion to his job than Chris Berman.  For a lot of fans and people involved with the game, Chris is synonymous with the big time NFL events so this it’s exciting that he’s doing our preseason game against the Titans.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Rookies in Canton, and Berman’s debut with Cards”

1. By Ben on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

That’s it??? That was your time off. What was that three days?

Welcome back

2. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Time off

I may have done a little work here or there when I was gone.

3. By cobra on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Wow, Chris Berman ( the original east coast idiot ) doing a Cards game. All we will here is how great Tennesse is. What a joke! ESPN must be desperate.

4. By Sotonic on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Chris Berman on play-by play? He doesn’t even make sense when he’s reading from a script! It would be epic if they could pair him and Madden (yes, I know they work for different networks, now, but I can dream). It would be postmodernist football comentary–it means whatever you think it means.

5. By AndyStandsUp on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

Since you’re back early Darren (and I’m assuming you’ll be taking another vacation soon), does that mean the Training Camp schedule will be revealed very, very soon?
    And as far as Berman, not a fan.
    He can go “back, back, back” to calling baseball.

6. By D on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

I realize any pub for the Cards is good, but Coach- let’s not get carried away with this has been, retread, bumbling fool like Berman (he is the reason why we have mute buttons on the remote)…my over/under on how many names and or facts he gets wrong about AZ will be 8

7. By BIG RED on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

That’s bull crap!!! Chris Berman you got to be kidding.

8. By Darren Urban on Jun 27, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Camp schedule

I am guessing soon. But I don’t know when.

9. By jeffgollin on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Put me down as glad that Uncle Chris will be on-air for the Tenn game.

He may not have the “been there/done that” creds of a Gruden, Jaws or Mooche, but no one adds color to a broadcast better than Berman. I’m sure ESPN will pair (or trio) him up with knowledgeable compatriots.

Besides – it ain’t the Super Bowl, folks. It’s preseason. Vs. Tennessee.

10. By clssylssy on Jun 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice article Darren. Happy to see the NFL doing this rookie orientation in Canton and hopefully the new players will absorb some of what it means to have the PRIVILEGE to play in the NFL, get some history,and hopefully be humbled by visiting the HOF. I do wish that the NFL would get somebody who is a positive role model like Fitz to talk to them about the importance of FaithFocusForward and how to conduct themselves in a manner that is growth producing and a credit to the uniform. I think there are too few Larry Fitzgeralds, Drew Brees, Payton Mannings, but an over-abundance of felons like Pacman Jones and while I understand Pacman’s message is “Don’t do what I did, do what I say” the message is still left that even if they mess up on a dream few get an opportunity at, all will be forgiven. GOOD LUCK ROOKIES, MAKE US PROUD!

11. By Eazy E on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

Boy, if we could have a RG3.

12. By Eazy E on Jun 30, 2012 | Reply

clssylssy-

That is so untrue about too few good guys and alot of bad guys. Their are over 1800 players and you only hear about a couple players getting in trouble and people learn from mistakes. Damn nobody’s perfect bro, Pacman and all of us have made mistakes, but it seems like he’s doing better and that is most important. The most important thing is learning from your mistakes.