Fitz in space? Not yet

Posted by Darren Urban on July 9, 2012 – 10:08 pm

Right now, Larry Fitzgerald is in Minnesota, taking his final few weeks of downtime holding his annual summer camp for NFLers who want to keep working. I was there Monday and there will be more on that later (but, because I know everyone will ask, Monday’s Cardinals in attendance were Andre Roberts, Stephen Williams and Rich Bartel.)

What caught my attention Monday away from the football field, however, was Fitz’s explanation of having “grandiose ideas.” This time of year, he works his tail off for four hours or so in the morning and then takes his jet skis or boat out on the lake behind his house. We all know his proclivity to travel the world and stay on the move.

But astronaut aspirations? OK, maybe not NASA, but fly into space is what Fitz wants. He just doesn’t have the cash right now.

“I try to make decisions .. within my means,” Fitzgerald said, before bringing up that he wants to go into space some day. “I want to go into orbit. But it costs a million dollars right now and that’s out of my budget. In a couple of years, when that (price) comes on down a little bit, I will do that and try it out, but right now, it’s on my bucket list. It’s just not feasible right now.”

The question is then, I suppose, of what comes first — Hall of Fame, or space travel?

UPDATE: On Facebook, some fans had fun with the idea of Fitz in space. Check it out here.

Tags:

14 Responses to “Fitz in space? Not yet”

1. By Jzoully on Jul 9, 2012 | Reply

When I started reading this I was amazed that Fitz is off and is working his tail off every day to keep his body at peak performance, just a true sign of a competitor. That is why he is the best! I bearly ever see an article where someone who is the best at his position (even through basketball) ever keep his wheels churning. I mean come on if you see that in Fitz it has to make you unbelievably happy that he is on our team, not some other team.

2. By hummer53 on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Always wondered about these non-team workouts organized by the players using non-Cardinal trainers. I suppose most of the drills are standard stuff that most teams do. But what if there are trainers that are doing really off the reservation material. Do these trainers need to consult with John Lott in any way or do the Cardinals really have no control over off site training. What if Justin Bethel is jumping on to 5ft boxes as we speak two weeks before training camp. Is this all cool with John Lott or does he just cross his fingers and hopes that no one gets injured.

3. By beardinals on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren –
    I’d love to hear more about Fitz calling out Floyd for not being there and proclaiming he is giving Floyd a DWI (Don’t Want It).

I agree with Fitz 100% and think a rookie 1st rounder would follow a superstar vet’s lead to a “T”.

4. By AB on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Seeing Fitz in space. That would be pretty cool. Bring a football with you to throw around.

5. By brad oneill on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

I am really glad to see him budgeting, what an example this guy is, some people that make far less than he has have spent a couple hundred thousand in a weekend on a party. he has a life goal that is huge yet he has the discipline to work towards it instead of just pulling out his wallet and buying it.. This guy is going to be a joy to watch long after football is over, He will probably rival Magic Johnson in business if he goes that way.

6. By samir on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Are you aware of the twitter stir that happened the other day because floyd did not show up to work out with fitz http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a726f4/article/larry-fitzgeralds-dwi-works-on-cards-michael-floyd
    this is the follow up do you think that floyd’d work ethic should be in question, because everyone else seems to think it was a big deal?

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Will Fitz be bringing you into space with him so you can report on the adventure for azcardinals.com? ;)

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Space story

Fitz said he wanted to go to space. I most certainly didn’t.

I’ll be fine on terra firma. He can tell me all about it when he gets back.

9. By D on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Doesn’t Fitz make a mil in a single game check? Props to him for saving and investing in his and his son’s future…

10. By D on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

I like Fitz calling out Floyd on missing workouts….better have a good excuse…everything is earned in the NFL..just ask Larry…

11. By Corgon on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Space story

OK Darren, that would be definitely a like on facebook :)

12. By Scott H on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

How ’bout a SUPER BOWL first, then the Hall Of Fame, then space? I think Fitz would take that deal. Heck, if he brings me a SB win during his time with the Cardinals, I will gladly help pay his ticket to the moon or wherever he wants to go! Anyone else want to kick in a few bucks to help out???

13. By Eazy E on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Fitz knows he can afford that now lol!

2. Jul 10, 2012: Larry Fitzgerald wants to travel to outer space - Helmet2Helmet