Floyd’s lessons from Larry

Posted by Darren Urban on July 10, 2012 – 2:21 pm

To start, a disclaimer: Just because a player isn’t in Minnesota taking part in Larry Fitzgerald’s offseason workouts doesn’t mean anything particular. Guys can work out lots of places and be ready for training camp, and they are, even if the glare of a TV camera or a reporter isn’t around.

But it bodes well for the Cardinals that, after Larry Fitzgerald needled rookie receiver Michael Floyd on Twitter Monday for not coming out — like Fitz, Floyd is from the Twin Cities and is there anyway this time of year — Floyd showed up Tuesday and worked hard alongside some of his Cards’ teammates.

“That was my fault (not being here), just stuff with the whole situation,” Floyd said. “But it’s great. I know he wants the best for me and every time I’m out here with him, I work hard.”

Fitzgerald was teasing Floyd with his first message, but there was definitely substance to it. More and more, Fitzgerald — despite just being 28 — talks about being on the back half of his career and running out of time when it comes to getting back to a Super Bowl. It’s an exaggeration to a point, but it also speaks to Fitz’s desire to win a title. He needs guys like Floyd to be ready sooner rather than later. Maybe once in a while, that means a little nudge.

He had praise for his understudy today. He tweeted in part that Floyd “killed it 2day and led the group in all drills and (squatted) 400+ #beast.”

Like Floyd said, when he’s with Fitz, he works hard. Fitz will take that every time.

Tags: ,

37 Responses to “Floyd’s lessons from Larry”

1. By SteveG on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

See Fitz, copy Fitz and care like Fitz…You will do OK.

2. By Gman on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Too bad the Cards couldn’t trade Kolb for Brees?

3. By Dynosoar on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

The comment of 400+ #beast reminds me of a story.

I remember at the Arnold Classinc, Schwarzenegger told Tom Arnold that Nasser El Sonbaty benched 500 pounds.Tom responded with “I used to bench 500 pounds, then I divorced Roseanne.”

Finding it hard to wait for August, I know it’s only pre-season, but I’m anxious. I believe it’s both possible and probable Fitz will have his ring next February.

4. By Secret on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Fitz deserves a Super Bowl ring more than Lebron ever needed a NBA ring.

5. By Kurt on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Is there a list of who is at the Fitz camp?

6. By CreditCard on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Some athletes are born with natural talent, others with natural desire, and still others with leadship skills. Fitz is rare, he has all three.

7. By chris on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren, good reporting. Any other pictures from Fitz camp?

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Chris, Kurt –

RE: pictures/list

I will have more info and pictures tomorrow, now that I’m back.

9. By Cards4ever on Jul 10, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see that Floyd got the message. Is Fitz’s camp the same place where the photo of Fitz, Kolb and Kolbs father was taken, before Kolb was traded to the Cards?

10. By Sir60 on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Floyd is dressed like he just stepped off a plane.

11. By jeffgollin on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is special.

It might be interesting to open up a discussion with WIz and other coaches about how much of an impact on winning the so-called intangibles (i.e. work ethic, energy, experience and leadership) contribute to a team’s success – compared to pure physical elements (i.e. spreed, size, strength, talent etc.). Can a team make it to the Super Bowl on pure talent & little or no leadership? Can a less physically talented team make it to the Super Bowl solely on intangibles?

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Cards4Ever —

RE: Picture

I’ll be honest, I don’t know that photo. That rings a bell in terms of Kyle Orton and Orton’s dad, though.

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Sir60 —

RE: Floyd

He is from Minnesota and lives close to the workouts.

14. By iammattyoung on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

It’s disappointing that Floyd had to be nudged into showing up. The opportunity to work with a future Hall of Famer, a teammate, a fellow receiver, and a leader should speak for itself. Heart has always been the biggest knock on Floyd, and it seems he’s not doing much to shake that.

15. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

I’m getting a little sick of this Fitzmania. He snaps his fingers and everyone is supposed to come running? You guys are glorifying him too much. If Kolb busts does Fitz get some of the blame for wanting him signed? You can’t read an article anywhere anymore without seeing the word mentor. Did someone have to mentor Jordan, Bird or Magic? I think not. These guys had something called talent. And smarts. If Floyd has it he will do fine. Who knows in the long run he may be better than Fitzgerald. So everyone quit being so judgmental. I could care less if he showed up for this. As long as he gets the job done this fall. Provided Whisenhunt doesn’t hold him back.

16. By Darren Urban on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Showing up

That’s your opinion. Obviously Fitzgerald feels differently.

But if you are a rookie, playing the same position as a multi-time Pro Bowler, and you live 10 minutes away from these workouts, why wouldn’t you go?

17. By Dre on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

That’s why he has the c on his chest

18. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Is he obligated to go? Do you know his itinerary? Can you enlighten me as to what is so special that you saw about these workouts? Should he be crucified in the media because he doesn’t choose to attend? Are they out working on the playbook, or is this just glorified weight training? I think everybody needs to quit making a big deal out of everything Fitzgerald does like he’s the messiah. This is a team game. Why don’t we all wait for preseason games at least to see what Floyd can do. From what I’ve seen of his college game I think he’s going to tear it up. Another question I have is if there is the possibility of getting hurt in this camp? And are you covered insurance wise by the NFL? If Floyd chooses to attend kudos. If not no big deal. Who’s the coach of the Cardinals by the way? Fitzgerald or Whisenhunt? I think the latter is the guy I would be working on impressing. If the Cards wanted me at these workouts I’d go. But I wouldn’t go just to stroke Fitzgeralds ego. Which seems pretty evident to me when he publicly starts ragging on Floyd. Not a classy move in my opinion. But go ahead jump on Floyd. It proves my point on all of your hero worship of Fitzgerald.

19. By Darren Urban on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa –

RE: Floyd

Show me where I “jumped” on Floyd.

20. By cobra on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike in Mesa,

Re: Floyd:

If some wide receivers such as, Ocho Cinco, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and others had a mentor like Fitz, well, they may not be jumping from team to team based only on talent. The Cards are trying to instill character in their players which they may not have coming out of college.

So, tell me, where do you get off bashing maybe the best receiver, and maybe the nfl spokes person of this recent era?

You really need to get over yourself. Last I heard, you were not Floyd’s agent, or a member of the Cards orginization. All you have done is piss off a lot of cards fans.

21. By brad oneill on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

it is not hero worship so much as man there is a kid we all watched grow into a superstar. He has that michael jordan like need to be better than himself and he knows the only way to achieve greatness in a team sport is if everyone gives everything they have. You betcha he is riding the rookie (to use some Minnesotan language) He wants to win, and whoever he has to drag kicking and screaming along is going to either get it or get tossed overboard. I remember a comment by Breaston about not having to attend the Fitz camp and that it didnt mean people werent working hard. where is steve now?

22. By cactus_hawaiian on Jul 11, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa –

I know if I’m a rookie playing the same position as Larry Fitzgerald I would shadow his every move in order for me to be successful. I would soak up everything he does like a sponge. Talent only takes you so far. Every player in the league is talented, which is why they’re playing in the league. Who cares if he tore it up in college. Its no secret Larry Fitzgerald wanted him on the team, and with living minutes away from these workouts there should be no question why he shouldn’t be there.

23. By jon L on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa,
    Why are you getting so worked up over this situation. Fitz wanted Floyd to take part in his off season camp, there is nothing wrong with a seasoned vet who knows what he is doing trying to motivate a rookie who happens to play on the same team at the same position. Im sure coach Wiz wants floyd to learn as much as possible from fitz.

24. By clssylssy on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

@Mike…why are you being so defensive about Floyd? Most people would be flattered that Fitz thought enough of them to go to bat and endorse them and it’s about being a team player. If everybody on the team had a work ethic like Fitz’s we would be knocking on the the door to the Superbowl every year. It’s a little early for fans to start pulling the team apart over the little stuff. Fitz is respected throughout the league by his peers and has become a household name everywhere because of his hard work and focus on WORKING twelve months a year…WE DO THIS TOGETHER…Darren wrote a great article the rest of us have interest in and look forward to “the rest of the story” :) GO CARDS! 25 days to HOF Game!

25. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

The reply I made wasn’t specifically addressed to you Mr Urban but the whole kissing Fitz’s backside that started with the fans when we signed Kolb. Fitz is one of the best WR in the league, but everything this team does shouldn’t be predicated on what he wants. Some of the fans blogs seem to lean that way. Again my reply was to everyone. Not just targeted at you. Do you not agree that Fitz could have handled this better with a private note to Floyd, not airing this out publicly? In this twitter and facebook world it seems like trivial things turn into major stories for no real reason. Of course it gives all of us something to do while waiting for the blasted training camp and preseason to start. On a side note thanks for posting the Rookie video analysis. They are greatly appreciated. See not everything I say is negative. lol

26. By Darren Urban on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Fitz/Floyd

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with how it was handled. How do you know Larry hadn’t already reached out to Michael and he still wasn’t showing? (For the record, I don’t know how it played out.) I don’t have an issue with it. I’ve found, covering this league for a long time, rookies need to be pushed. Sometimes, they think they are doing everything they can but really aren’t.

I understand where you are coming from, but my guess is that, at this point, Fitz knows what buttons to push on Floyd more than those of us on the outside. I’m going to go with his judgement.

27. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Cobra, based on stats Fitz is the 4th best receiver in the league. Of course he didn’t have the qb’s the others ahead of him had throwing to him. If you factor in td totals he moves down the list behind a couple of tight ends who had 15 or 16 tds’. I’m really hoping with the addition of Floyd and maybe Skelton getting to start whole season he might sail right by the others ahead of him on the list. I try to stay based in reality sir. My replies are aimed at fans like you. Not the players. And it is hero worship when you can’t look at the situation impartially. Tell me something do you think this was a classy move by Fitz? Lets reverse the situation, if Floyd tweeted something negative about Fitz how much would you all jump on him for being a young upstart, regardless of whether the action had merit or not? Forget Fitz”s credentials. Look at the action. He had no business dissing Floyd publicly. Unless it was friendly banter between them. It may be his second day comment was to try and cover up his mistake. Who knows. I’m a Cardinals fan and hope like hell they have a great season. But I’ll give my two cents when I feel like it.

28. By Scott H on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

Shy of us still having Kurt Warner here to throw him the ball, Floyd couldn’t be in a better situation than he is with having Fitz as teammate and mentor. Ultimately, he has to make his own choices about how good he wants to be. But having someone like Fitz as a model to follow can’t hurt. The fact that he seems to realize this and is already showing up for class and doing the work bodes well for all of us. I have a positive feeling about this kid and will be nothing shy of very disappointed if he is not clealry the #2 WR on this team by mid-season AT THE LATEST.

29. By djiigo on Jul 12, 2012 | Reply

In the picture, it looks like others are struggling or fighting the “band” whereas Floyd looks totally under control with a long powerful stride/stretch. Beast just might be the correct name for Floyd…counting down the days to kick off of the regular season.

Regarding “Fitzmania” and his glorification … there is a reason for everything; it comes naturally as a born leader with amazing talent and strong solid work ethic. Bravo Zulu to Larry for pushing others to excel. Pushing both Cardinals and other NFL players resulting in better game play for fans to watch. GO CARDS!

30. By Scott H on Jul 14, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa –

Whatever is wrong with you is no small thing, my friend. I don’t get you at all. First of all, I don’t see or hear ANY of this “backside kissing” that you refer to. But at the same time, if you feel like you are hearing a lot about how great Fitz is – as a player, mentor, human being, whatever – then don’t you think that must be because he is obviously making a positive impression on so many people?

Why you – as a Cardinals fan – can’t just enjoy being witness to such a GREAT player AND leader is beyond me. If it bothers you, there are 31 other teams to pick from.

31. By Eazy E on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

He was encouraging Floyd. Floyd is still with the upside easily the 2nd best receiver on our team right now.

32. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Urban all I’m dealing with is what has been reported. No I don’t know if Larry has reached out to him. And Scott H maybe you don’t get me because I deal in something called reality. Being as this still seems to be a free country I will critique who I want when I want. Feel free to critique me if needed. But I will root for the Cardinals. And I will have my opinions on what they are doing and need to do. Feel free to hero worship. I choose not to. A GREAT LEADER in my opinion would not have aired this in public.

33. By Scott H on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa –

Yeah, why didn’t I realize that the way YOU see things is reality and anyone else’s view is just a distortion? Silly me. Guess I forgot how the world works.

Gimme a break, dude. And spare me the free country crap. How much of a drama queen could you possibly be??? We’re not really talking about major world issues here. It’s a game. Relax.

In regard to your referring to MY opinion of Fitzgerald as “hero worship,” I have NO PROBLEM with that whatsoever. If I had a son, I would be glad to have him choose someone like Fitz as a “hero” or as someone to aspire to be like. In REALITY as most of us know it, we DO tend to look to pro atheletes to be hero-like. And, yeah, that is often times a dangerous game to play. But at this particular time, Larry Fitzgerald is about THE best choice you could make in all of pro sports if you needed a “hero.”.

And since you’re so big on REALITY, here’s another dose for ya – Larry Fitzgerald is a very low key guy who says VERY LITTLE and lets his game do all the talking. Being an alleged fan of the team he has played for 8 years now, I would have thought you would know that.

34. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Scott. Glad your seeing things my way. Yes Larry is low key. So low key he requested that the Cards sign Kolb. Requested that they draft Floyd. Went public with his comment on his team mate. Wants to go to outer space. And now is telling everyone to draft Calvin Johnson in fantasy football over him. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/07/larry_fitzgerald_tells_fans_to.html Thats a nice vote of confidence in your team mates. As for a hero, I think someone like Stephen Hawking might fit the bill or Jesse William Lazear or Jonas Salk? And yes my being a fan of the team dates back to the Jake Plummer era. There’s no alleged about it. And just remember who attacked who here. I gave my opinion on the situation. People started questioning Floyd’s work ethic. I think Fitz needs to just shut up and put up great numbers again this year. Sorry to tarnish the image of your idol.

35. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa –

You go back to the Jake Plummer era, do you? Wow, you must be, like, in your twenties or something. Please. Dude, I go back to when Jim Hart was the QB and Dan Dierdorf was one of the ugliest, nastiest O-lineman on the planet. Do you even know who Roger Wherli is?

Yeah, that Larry Fitzgerald is just totally out of control, isn’t he? It’s a wonder he hasn’t been banned from speaking by the team. Or arrested. Such a menace to society, that man.

Dude, do you have ANY idea how ridiculous you sound??? If you weren’t a Cardinals fan, that would be one thing. You would just be an idiot in that case. But being as you ARE a fan ( who goes ALLLLLLL the way back to the Jake Plummer era ), you come off as supremely ignorant as well. At this point, I AM asking you to pick another team. Because anyone who would have these insanely petty issues about a player like Fitz really doesn’t deserve to benefit from his excellence on the field.

Also…you accuse ME of making Fitz an idol ( and your damn right – I do ), yet it seems to me that it is YOU who is devoting so much of his attention to everything and anything he says or does. Kinda pathetic, isn’t it? Man, for your sake, I’m glad Fitz didn’t say he should be drafted AHEAD of Calvin Johnson…I think your head would’ve exploded.

YOU need to stop paying so much attention to whatever Larry says OR what anyone says about him. Maybe then, you’ll stop all this whining.

36. By William Barry on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

for Scott H:

I too go back to when the Cards had Jim Hart as QB, and was winning the East with Don Coryell, in the 1970’s. In 1984, I went to St. Louis and saw the Cards vs the Bills, and we won 37-7. I still have the photo of Jim Hanifan walking off the field…

What memories…Go Cards!!!!!

2. Jul 11, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | So a Card, a Ram and a Seahawk walk into a weight room …