Breaking out

Posted by Darren Urban on July 16, 2012 – 9:19 pm

This time of year, everyone is always asking me, among other things, what player do I think is going to break out during whatever season is approaching.

(And when I say everyone, it’s mostly when I am doing radio interviews, although some fans will ask from time to time.)

There’s always the matter of defining just who can be a breakout candidate. To me, it’s a guy who has only been in the league a short time. Usually it’s a guy who just completed his rookie season, although it could be a player who has been around a bit longer. There was a point early on when Adrian Wilson was my pick a couple of seasons in a row. Alan Branch was a popular choice. This year, it’s tough to get away from a couple of potentials: tight end Rob Housler and running back Ryan Williams. Williams, of course, has to prove himself healthy. Housler has to battle a lot of guys at tight end to make sure he gets playing time.

But others are intriguing. Sure, Patrick Peterson is a Pro Bowl punt returner, but he still has to prove a lot at cornerback — and having him take a big step forward there is certainly possible this year. The Cards wouldn’t mind if either Dan Williams or David Carter really established themselves at nose tackle.

It’s not always simple, though, not like Steve Breaston going from eight catches in 2007 to a 1,000-yard receiver in 2008. Still, this is the time of year when you mull such possibilities.

P.S. I will be doing a pre-camp live chat tomorrow — Tuesday — at 11 a.m. Arizona time (that’s 2 p.m. in the East) right here. We can talk breakout guys or whatever you might want. We’re only a week away.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Breaking out”

1. By CardsgirlJW on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Williams gets my vote…very excited to see this young man play! Can’t wait for training camp!!

2. By Jzoully on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

How about the guy who protects Ryan Williams, Anthony Sherman? I think he will become a probowler this year.

3. By John the draft guy on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

I like Acho to break out with double digit sacks.

But here’s to the break out player being either Kolb or Skelton. Improved Oline, weapons all around them, including your breakout guys Williams and Housler, If we want to knock off the niners and get back to the superbowl, one of them better step up.

4. By vegas4u2012. on Jul 16, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Williams!This guy(if?he can stay healhty)is $ in the bank.Defences will now have to key on him & wells which will take alot pressure off our qb’s.The only re ason he lasted to the second round is because of his injuries @ VTECH.On the other side,watch out for Washington.This guy with a few extra pounds added is a beast againts both the run & pass.See u all in flaggstaff baby!

5. By Eazy E on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Ryan is a great choice! Housler maybe. Kerry even I think, look out for a pro bowl year from him. I think Kerry gets my vote.

6. By CDR Schroeder on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Not sure Ryan Williams “qualifies.” To break out you must hav ebeen in the pack at some point. As an IR player last season he was never in the pack because he never played. “Break out” as in surprising pundts,… I agree. But break out from the pack? No.

Housler. Shoefield. Acho. Peterson (as a CB). Doucet. Roberts.

7. By Chris B on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

The problem (and maybe blessing?) this year with break out players is there are so many to choose from:
    Patrick Peterson
    Rob Housler
    Ryan Williams
    Dan Williams
    Sam Acho
    O’Brien Schofield
    Jamal Flemming (rookie, yes but DB’s get a lot of playing time)
    David Carter
    Andre Roberts (still think he needs a “break out” year)
    Early Doucet (see above ^^)
    John Skelton (if he wins starting job)
    Kevin Kolb (my choice to win QB)
    Bobbie Massie (rookie but probable starter)
    Michael Floyd (see above ^^)

Even if you take out the 3 rookies, that’s a significant number of player who will see the field who need to step up in a big way. Aside from the QB, the 2 the Cards need to step up are the OLBs- Acho and Schofield.

Darren, make sure to say “hi” at camp this year. You know I’m your biggest fan! Can I get a RT???

8. By JohnM on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I think that Rob Housler is going to take a huge step foward.

9. By jeffgollin on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Trying to predict “break out'” players is kind of tough, due to the many variables that come into play – injuries, roster-competition, opportunities to flash etc.

Training Camp is a terrific time for “surprises” – one or two guys who overcame bad injuries, unexpected injuries to guys higher up on the depth chart, undrafted free agents who seized the opportunity to step up or AARP guys with one more year left in the tank.

Who will be this year’s Mark Smiths, David Carters or Ronald McKinnons?

That said, there are a few guys I’m excited about: R Williams, Arukwe (with his blazing speed), Byrd, S Williams, Housler, Webb (love his size), Massey, Potter, Kelemete, Wedige, Holliday, Nash, Bethel, Nixon & Fleming. Which (if any) of these guys will contribute remains to be seen (That’s what makes Training Camp so much fun).

10. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I’d be thrilled if a QB would make a distinction.

11. By D on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Would be great if R. Williams and Housler both were break out playes, along with D. Williams….

This defense would be very good if Carter or Williams establishes themselves as a DT that demand double teams…also, AZ needs either S. Bradley or Sturdivant to fill that hole next to Washington….then you could have a top 10 defense…

12. By Andy Kw on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I’m excited to see both Housler and Ryan Williams. If Housler starts, I expect him to have a decent season. Not like 1000yds or anything but probably 6TDs and 600yds. Ryan Williams should be agressive and fast. He is like Chris Johnson but better. I still expect Beanie to get at least 800yds rushing but Ryan, I am expecting 500yds and 7TDs. I am not excited to see Dan Williams start. He had 2 years to really develop and mature but he constantly stays unhealthy so right now, I am hoping David Carter starts, if not Dan Williams better be healthy because he will be key to the Cardinals success.

13. By johnnybluenose on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

all the players mentioned are good choices. but, for me, i want levi brown to have a break-out year, make the pro bowl, justify his early first round draft pick and once and for all silence his critics. let’s get started levi.

14. By Showme4570 on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

I am really wanting the whole team to bust it open. I am so tired of hearing NFL writers bragging on our arch rivals, the niners whiners, sea chicken chirppers, and the sheeple people.

I think the one that agravated me most was the coaching staff rankings with the Whizard & staff ranked 29 out of 32.

OK, my pick will be twofold because I’m not sure either can make the team. Arukwe and Byrd. I like those two, especially for the future. Naming someone who is more likely to make the team, Ryan Willams because he has come back from such a horrible injury. This kid is going to set records. He will have two WRs keeping the backs honest. I really think we can set up those defenses on a pass and run the kid through the middle before they know who he is. heh heh

15. By Showme4570 on Jul 17, 2012 | Reply

Hey D, what about our boxer filling that hole? He lost weight and is as fit as anyone on the Defense. I read the article about him using boxing to get into shape. I would hate to get a head slap from Quinton right now. heh heh

16. By Eric Y on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I’m just putting it out there now. Andre Roberts will blow up this year.

17. By Showme4570 on Jul 18, 2012 | Reply

I hope your right Eric, but I’m being selfish as a senior fan (been a Cards fan since they moved from Chicago to St. Louis) and hope for Byrd and Arukwe. Byrd because he is the same size and jumping ability as Titz and Floyd and Aruiwe for his blazing speed. If our line could give our QB 5 seconds Arukwe could be in the endzone from the 50. Roberts has worked hard though. I just keep remembering the drop in the endzone. for the win last year.

2. Jul 18, 2012: Today’s Best Arizona Cardinals Ariticles July 17, 2012 | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog