A “blueprint” for the quarterback situation

Posted by Darren Urban on July 19, 2012 – 10:15 am

Ken Whisenhunt has been through this before, back in 2008, when Matt Leinart was coming off a broken collarbone and Kurt Warner was coming off 27 surprising touchdown passes and training camp was about figuring out which guy was going to be the starter that season. (It was Kurt, and while hindsight made it look kind of obvious, it wasn’t as much at the time.)

Some of that experience will translate to this year’s Kevin Kolb/John Skelton competition, although Whisenhunt noted it isn’t the same thing, because Kolb is not Warner is not Skelton is not Leinart.

“I think we have at least knowledge as far as breaking the reps up,” Whisenhunt said. “Handling players, it’s always different because every player has to be handled differently.”

“As for having a blueprint, I hope it works out the same way it did the last time because we had a guy who distinguished himself and he played well and that’s ultimately what you want. But there is no blueprint for success with this. We are just trying to find the guy who give us the best chance to win. We’re doing this because both guys have the opportunity to compete for that spot. That’s it.”

These are different situations, so drawing a straight parallel isn’t fair and it doesn’t make sense. This is only the first of what I am sure will be many, many, many times I write on this subject. But you know that this, barring injury, isn’t going to be decided after two weeks of Flagstaff. This is going to be about at least the first four preseason games if not all five. Back in 2008, one of the turning points was Leinart’s three-interception disaster in Oakland in the third of four preseason games. Often these things work themselves out. (This time doesn’t correlate with 2010 either, really, since Leinart was the clear No. 1 going into camp before things got so sideways in camp and Derek Anderson eventually surpassed him on the depth chart.)

This won’t happen in a vacuum. It’s impossible to ignore what happened last year — Kolb has admitted it’s not as if he’s trying to pretend his struggles didn’t happen — but at the same time, there does need to be a fresh-start aspect to this. In the end, neither player played well enough to say they have already earned the job. So we go from here.

Tags: , , , , ,

58 Responses to “A “blueprint” for the quarterback situation”

1. By SteveG on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I recall a national game, Kolb was in Philly, and the game was fully game planned. I saw Kolb in total control of the game, knew exactly where his players were supposed to be and he delivered ball after ball on the nose leading to a 300+ yd game, a Philly win and NFC player of the week honors.

I expect to see far more of those from Kolb than the “not quite sure” I saw last year due to the shortened prep. for the season…

Dallas was the game that struck me as most representative…Hope I am right , because if I am? HELLO PLAYOFFS!!!!

2. By beardinals on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

How about Lindley or Bartell? Unfortunately I think Bartell is the odd man out since Lindley seems to have a ton of upside.

3. By Ezz on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully one of them does separate because i don’t see them both wowing coaches in camp so if they’re even, it most likely means they’ve both been average, and while average is an improvement over what we’ve had the past few years, i don’t know if it’s enough.

I think Kolb is the one more likely to go above that threshold because his flaws from last year are more easily correctable than Skelton’s in my opinion. I don’t think Skelton’s accuracy issues are something that will disappear soon, not this season at least. I would be very disappointed if he won this battle because that would most likely mean that Kolb didn’t play as well as he could’ve instead of Skelton being significantly better than he previously was, so we won’t be maximizing the position all the same.

4. By Mike in Mesa on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Interesting comparisons. I am also really enjoying the films on the rookies.

5. By Showme4570 on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Steve G,

I agree wholeheartedly, at least this is what I expect to see from Kolb. The only question I have in the back of my mind is created by the memory of a robust Leinart until he broke his collar bone. When he came back he was never the same and his game suffered from it. He seemed to just be there for the paycheck from that point on. Kolb knows the offense now, and both of these men are supposed to be friends off field as well as on. I like John and he reminds me personally of Terry Bradshww when he was green, but I am old enough to remember Terry starting his career and I guess most aren’t because Terry had a hard time reading defenses……………remind you of anyone? Anyway, he ended up with 4 SB rings and John might just be that guy. Now to Lindley, He looks very promising too. Kind of a “young Young” from the 49rs to me. smart and decisive. Makes a quick decision and good reads but we haven’t seen that much. Terry Bradshaw…………………Steve Young………………..who knows. We simply have to trust Whisenhunt and I do. Kolb can definately be “the guy” if he can be a blitz buster like Warner. I think it is up to him if he can do his reads as quick as Kurt. I admit I am an optimist, but Kurt Warner, Terry Bradshaw, or Steve Young? Time will tell.

6. By brad oneill on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

when Kolb came to camp last year it was the first time since Kurt Warner that we had a qb that took control of the offense. Skelton was still over his head in the NFL, Last year was great for Skelton and killed Kolb. If Kolb can recover mentally from last year he has all the tools to be a great QB. Its going to be tough though, because odds are he will have Skelton breathing over his shoulder, and we all Know Skelton will most likely look fantastic against preseason competition.

7. By clssylssy on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry I can’t ignore the fact that Kolb has had two concussions and a bunch of other injuries that make him seem fragile. It doesn’t do a team any good if the QB is accurate (which can be fixed) if they aren’t able to be quick minded, and are tii fraguke ti take a hit. I feel bad for Kolb but I haven’t seen him inspire as much confidence in the team as he obviously has in some of the fans. I like a QB who is taller, quicker, more poised and has those intangibles that make a leader. Skills can be polished, plays can be learned but leadership is something that is a personality trait. Kolb is a likeable guy but comes across as quiet and passive. Skelton is energetic and personable and is able to make an immediate connection.
    Too bad he’s the black sheep but even if he doesn”t start, I don’t see him sitting on the bench too long before Kolb is out with an injury. Just hope we don’t lose important games while the organization gives Kolb the opportunity to lose the job.

8. By Sir60 on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Skeltons problems have mostly been early in the game. I believe he is trying to be too perfect in trying to hit the most open receiver. He’s hurried and then flings the ball to late. Later in the game he releases quicker to his first or second read and it works. As he improves, reading defenses, his troubles in the first half should diminish. I believe Kolb is a very good quarterback and will start and continue to start until his next concussion which could end his career.

9. By D on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Looking back and seeing that both Leinart and D. Anderson was on the Card’s roster is embarrassing for this coaching staff (inherited Matt)….they need one of these current guys to step up this year or the fans will really turn on Coach Whiz….

10. By Chad D. on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I disagree with “D’s” comment. I don’t think having Leinart or Anderson is a reflection on Whiz, or should be embarrassing. Leinart, as you mentioned, was Green’s fault. He was the best player on the board and for all we knew he was going to be awesome. Anderson was simply a free agent and the “most proven” QB available at the time. If I recall correctly, we wanted Trent Green but the Rams threw in a roadblock and didn’t allow that to take place. What were we supposed to do??? Let’s even throw Kolb into this equation and say he doesn’t pan out. Is that coach’s fault too? Should he be embarrassed that he went after and got the “best available QB” on the market and the guy didn’t work out? It’s not like he has had opportunities to get 5 different QB’s in the draft or free agency and passed. Equally damning would be having a Warner on the bench because he didn’t play the style football that coach liked. Those mistakes would be embarrassing.

Whiz is fine. Nothing to be embarrassed about. You are only as good as your quarterback, but you are also only as good as the quarterback that is truly available. Whiz went after Manning. Whiz allowed Warner to play to his strengths and shine. Whiz has actively pursued any better viable option to make this team competitive, and succeeded more than not (based on previous 20 years). Our record over the past 5 seasons has proven to me that Whiz is not our problem. We simply face the struggle that 20 other teams in the NFL face; a major QB shortage. Solve that problem and you have a perennial playoff team for a decade.

11. By ArtD on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I think that Kolb and Skelton know who’s going to play. I don’t think they would pay him before he play’s, hint. It’s all about practice, especially with the team in camp. Eventhough,” I like Skelton”, Kolb should show-up this year to take us to the playoffs! Go Cards!

12. By Corgon on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

C’mon. Kolb won the job against 2010 M.Vick. He can’t be that bad. 2010 M.Vick was freakin’ good! I really hope this year was enogh time for him to learn our offense and he could stay healthy for us. That would be cool. I believe in Kolb! But for the last time :)

Darren! What will be the future of the 4th ranked QB? Would be any difference if R. Bartell end up 4th not R. Lindley?

13. By cobra on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Seems we have a new breed of concussion anyalysts/doctors.(myself included). Even with the speed, size, strengh and equipment available these days, this has been a part of football for a hundred years. I think the hits are more vicious these days, yet, also, it comes down to the individual, based of on the effects and severity of the initial contact. Hopefully, the o-line can defend our QBs this year.

1- I really don’t think John Skelton is the next Terry Bradshaw, nor do I believe Kevin Kolb is the next Kurt Warner. At some point, one has to be a decisive leader for the Cards.
    2- If the defense falters, it won’t be long before we see QB and Oline at the top of the list in next years draft, but we all know this.
    3- May the best QB win, although it may still be a joint effort!

14. By Darren Urban on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: The fourth QB

The team usually doesn’t keep more than three QBs.

15. By tentpeg107 on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Darren–

How could you ever think the “competition” between Kurt and Matt could ever turn out differently? Coach Whiz had to say “this and that” because Micheal Bidwill (a businessman) had invested so much in Matt Leinart, but Kurt always had the position. Re: the day after Coach Whiz gave Kurt the job, the players voted him captain.

Ezz– the mechanics that made Skelton inaccurate ARE EASILY CORRECTABLE. In fact, the first thing Iook at is not NOT the mechanics. They are the “intangibles”, which consists of what goes on “above the neck”. I think john skelton has the intangibles and kevin does not.

16. By hummer53 on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I think it was clear that Kolb didn’t trust his backside(Levi) last season. I’d like to see more backside screens,draws and swing passes to that side to keep the bullrush on Levi somewhat contained.

17. By William Barry on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

i CLEARLY think Skelton has all the intangibles to be a great QB, Tall, poised, good passer, can really throw the long ball, and he just needs for experience, but either way, Skelton or Kolb, I am happy with either one, whoever gets us to the Super Bowl and the playoffs!!!!

18. By truths4all on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I dusted off Warner’s eval that he gave on Kolb before the Cards traded for him. Anyone remember Kolb’s happy feet, mechanics breakdown when he leaves the pocket, not great at reading defenses? Sure Kolb was the starter in Philly and led them to some important wins some fans still recall, but do those fans remember how long Kolb stayed healthy? Do these fans also recall that Kolb was sent back to being a back-up to Vick once he was declared healthy enough to play? If Kolb shows in pre-season that he remains fragile, the Cards may start the season with Skelton, Bartel, and Lindley as their QBs.

19. By Leon on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

does it really matter just freakin win win win GO CARDS

20. By Ezz on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

tentpeg107 – No disrespect intended, but that’s just speculation. For as easy to be fixed as accuracy issues supposedly are and for all the talk about footwork, you generally don’t see those two things changing overnight, sometimes not at all. Bad habits die hard after all. There’s a big process that happens between learning the right mechanics, learning the right way to move and doing those things instinctively like a good QB can. That’s true not only for football but any sport, and you can’t cut corners around it, it’s a muscle memory issue and it takes time, there’s no way around it. The problem is not with being unaware of what to do, it’s being able to do it without thinking about it.

When it comes to the intangibles and the mental strength, that’s the part i find speculative. We don’t know Kolb personally. We don’t know Skelton personally. We’ve never interacted enough with either of them to be able to comment to this extent about their mental fortitude. Skelton was far tougher to bring down than Kolb, that much is true. But if he can’t get the ball accurately to open receivers it’s a mute point. I don’t think the sample size we had last year was enough to proclaim Kolb definitely has poor intangibles and therefore will never be better than he was then, especially when we consider the lack of an offseason, poor protection and no defense for most of his run. Now, i’m not saying he wasn’t at fault, he could’ve done more most definitely, but i don’t think going by who won the most games is an accurate way to judge which one did the better job because the circumstances were different.

I’m not rooting for either one, i’m rooting for the Cardinals, and whichever one gives us the best chance to win is the one i’ll support fully. I just happen to think that it’s more likely that Kolb becomes that person. But if i’m wrong and we still make the playoffs than it’s the most satisfying mistake i will have made in my entire life.

21. By Peter in Canada on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

This is in no way the same as in 2008. When Warner took over for Leinart in 2007 he rewound the clock and produced stats like those he produced in his glory years of 1999-2001. It was all-pro calibre stuff. He had played enough games to show it was not a false dawn but the real thing. It was his job to lose and Leinart’s to win. They were no way starting out even.
    This year we basically have two mediocre QB’s, neither of whom have shown enough to separate themselves. Fortunately both have upsides. Kolb showed very well against Dallas and Skelton showed great in the fourth quarters. If one or both can build on that we will be o.k. because we are good at the other positions.We are improved on the O-line and receiver which should automatically make them better.

22. By in fitz we trust on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

i wonder why nfl.com would post a blog about micheal floyd being in poor shape, and lacking solid work ethic…. the blog says “coaches feel andre roberts and doucet are better’ thats kinda lame….. do u have any details about this darren??? i know everyone has there opinions, but imo, i feel if u take a guy in the first round, especially when u have holes in a specific area, when u fill that hole with first round talent, that guy should be better then what was there before…. otherwise why take him?….. im one of the people that thinks he should start obviously..

23. By mike on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been lagging this year on reading your articles but a newborn will do that. My apologizes if you’ve already answered this question but will the Cards be wearing their Black Jerseys this year?
    Thanks,
    Mike from Tucson (Every Home Game I am THERE!)

24. By BIG RED on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

I’m all for it, truths4all I would like that.

25. By Cactus jeff on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Uh oh! Check out NFL.com. Article on Michael Floyd. Not good, warn that Cardinals are in spin mode. I can already hear it now….Andre Roberts is a great #2 WR, Mike Wallace from Pittsburg would not start either (remember cards could have gotten him for the #1 pick), and finally keep repeating “too soon to tell” just like they successfully did with Dan Williams.

We can only hope the rumors are not true, he is too slow, and Whiz is just trying to motivate him.

26. By Sect 113 on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Great post Chad D!

27. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

Well at least we are all in agreement that we have four QB’s. Two that will play a lot of pre-season game reps, and two that won’t.

Darren: Above and beyond the Kolb/Skelton fun. I would like to know about the other two QB’s competition, you have any thoughts on who might be #3 when the season starts?

I ask the above question because that QB could very well be the #2 QB for the Cards before mid-season.

GO CARDS

28. By RICKY WALDRON on Jul 19, 2012 | Reply

G@@D EVENING {FANS} ! ! ! ! ! This is a picture of KEVIN KOLB telling JOHN SKELTON that the word is out that the SAN FRANCISCO 49er’s are going to the SUPER-BOWL This year there gett’n there TICKET’s NOW before there all sold out GO BIG~RED CARDINALS ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR BABY ! ! ! ! ! GOD ~ BLESS ALL THE PLAYER’s PLAY & STAY SAFE THIS YEAR IN 2012 GOD ~ BLESS ! ! ! ! ! !

29. By CoolDaddy79 on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I Think it will be exciting to see who will be the starter. No matter who it is, I like Kolb And i like Skeleton. I sorta wanna see Kolb be the man. He will surprise alot of people hopefully..!

30. By cardsalltheway on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Ezz,
    “I think Kolb is the one more likely to go above that threshold because his flaws from last year are more easily correctable than Skelton’s in my opinion.”

I think I remember a write up Darren did suggesting the opposite.

31. By cardsalltheway on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

The “Blueprint” Ken W. and our G.M. already left for the rest of the league is what kind of free agent(unproven) QB you don’t sign a 60 million with.

“Andrew Luck signs $22.1M Indianapolis Colts contract(4 years)”

32. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

In Fitz —

RE: Floyd

I haven’t seen the blog, I don’t know if they are quoting someone or guessing. I have said all along I don’t think Floyd will start, at least not right away.

33. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Black jerseys

Yes, they will have black jerseys this year.

34. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

AzDesert —

RE: Third QB

That will play out in the preseason just like the top two QB battle will.

35. By Darren Urban on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Luck

You’ve set a new record on taking something out of context and comparing apples and oranges, just so you can get in your obligatory shot on the coach. Stunning.

36. By DontTakeLoses on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

A lot of good comments, enjoyed reading. I remember that great 300 yd Philly game and the Cards Dallas game as well

My guess:
    1. Corn on the Kolb,
    2. Red Skelton,
    3. Lindley…
    … in that order.
    Kolb plays unless or until he’s hurt. Go Cards.

37. By cobra on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

@ cardsalltheway,

I think you and Chris Berman would be a great fit. You guys could play apples and oranges together, and maybe, just maybe, shut both of your mouths.

My apologies to all fans who may take this out of context.

38. By Scott H on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Darren, please…some of would rather forget the 2010 season QB situation and the names Leinart and ( especially ) Derek Anderson. Must we speak of these things???

I like both of these guys ( Kolb & Skelton, of course ) and hope the competition between them in camp is heated . I hope they BOTH look ready to start for this team. Because I think they both will at some point.

39. By mike on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I still believe “Ex-Coach” Dennis Green should be hired on as our GM. Coach Whiz took his team (picks n fa’s) to the SB. #Jus Sayn

& Maybe just maybe “cardsalltheway” was trying to say something like that. idk how he is comparing the 2 totally different situations. New CBA, a lot of other variables. Unless he assumed we would get the #1 pick overall had we not got Kolb.

I am STILL and was NO DOUBT against the Kolb trade so no gripes about not liking it. I also didn’t like the contract (Kolb had almost same numbers as Leinart in Philly) but understood why they did it.

-The thing I don’t understand and I guess it was on the table during the Peyton sweepstakes was why they didn’t force Kolb to restructure his contract and put it performance heavy or just CUT him if he wasn’t willing. Cards had a chance to save face before the 2nd yr of the contract started. *Due to that DARREN, I have to believe that Kolb will be the Starter even if Skelton out plays him during camp and preseason, but he would be on a very short leash. As a Die Hard Fan it pains me to say that I think we will see both QBs start this season. :'(

40. By Chris Lewis on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

If Skelton beats out Kolb for starter, then that’s not good because the Cards brass paid Kolb good money to come to Arizona to not just start, but to excel and take us deep into the playoffs, so if Kolb’s not starting then I think he has to be released, as he’s being paid too much to be a backup. I just don’t see Skelton as an elite starting QB, now or in the future. So, if neither Kolb nor Skelton get the job done, then we have to look elsewhere. Every position is important on a football team, but if you don’t have an elite QB, you’re unlikely to go very far in the playoffs. I’m pushing for Kolb to have a breakout year. Call it wishful thinking, but I have faith in this Cardinals team. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    GO CARDS!!!!!

41. By Ezz on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway

I don’t remember if he did or not but if he did it will simply mean we have a difference of opinion on this. As much as i love his work, it would be bad if i took one man’s opinion as law.

42. By cardsalltheway on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

I wasn’t really comparing but are these apples better for you?
    “Former Green Bay Packers quarterback Matt Flynn didn’t get the huge contract Kevin Kolb did last year, but he does have a new home.”
    “With Kolb, the Cardinals learned what teams have been re-learning all the way back to the Detroit Lions’ Scott Mitchell debacle in the mid-1990s: When you give up too much for a system-dependent player, and your system doesn’t match, it can tank your franchise for years.”

The point is there won’t be another team signing an unproven free agent QB at what the Cards paid K. Kolb, hence ~ “Blueprint”

Big money to unproven free agent(QB’s) can hurt teams continuity, salary cap, bring much attention to a team, and put extra pressure on the QB/coaches etc… M.Flynn and the Seahawks vs. K. Kolb is possible and just around the corner.

Breakdown:
    Matt Flynn ~ 3 years 26 million(10 million guaranteed).
    Kevin Kolb ~ 5 years 62 million(22 million guaranteed).

43. By cardsalltheway on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

“Comparison”
    Kolb was unproven last year.
    Andrew Luck is unproven this year.

You gotta like the Flynn “comparison” better aye?

44. By Showme4570 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Chris Lewis,
    I do not disagree although I still believe that coach Whisenhunt knows things about these two QBs that we don’t. That being said I will ask all of you if you have taken the time to watch Lindley’s film on the Card’s web site. Lindley may well be our QB of the future. No false step w/the left foot to get him stepped on, fast recognition and decision, and he threw the ball on the money before his reciever came clean. Ya gotta love it. I like Skelton, but he seems to delay on throwing when he needs to make the throw fast and lead the WR. JMHO> but watch the rookie film on Lindley. I would love to get some feedback on this one. GO CARDS!:0

45. By kkfan on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

@ clssylssy, Where do you get your information from regarding Kolb having had a BUNCH OF INJURIES? The only injury he sustained in Philly was a concussion.

Had Andy not pulled the rug ( out from under him) by going with Vick after his ONE WEEK out due to the concussion who knows maybe Kolb would have never been traded.

@ truth4all? You ,nor I ,nor anyone other than the man who made the decison knows what that involved. in Andy Reid going with Vick over Kolb. After he had sustained his concussion, in a PC Andy stated emphatically that Kevin was still his starter. Until someone (more likely) changed his mind.

Many Eagle fans felt that it was the growing demands (by ownership) to get back to the SB, that led to the switch. Having a QB much in the same mold as McNabb ( in Vick) probably was the true desiding factor

But for you to assume or suggest that it was because Kolb just didn’t cut it , is a false accuation on your part. Andy had repeatedly said he had full belief and confidence in Kevin comming off the concussion. When Kevin played in Vicks absense he showed decisively that he can be an NFL starting QB.

Personally I think many of the fans here, expected Kevin to come in and be some kind of miracle worker, inspite of not having had any time to learn this offesnse prior to being thown into the fire. And the kind of contract they gave him, just made the expectations that much greater from a fans point of view.

Though Andy’s WCO is not the standard WCO (that many here seem to think it is) it is still different than what Kolb had to get use to here. That takes time for any QB. Unfortunately for Kolb fans haven’t the patience to allow that development to take place.

I’m rooting for Kevin to prove all the naysayers wrong.

46. By Chris Lewis on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Reply to Showme4570

I hope you’re right about Lindley, I don’t follow college football, so I don’t know much about him. It’s nice to have a QB of the future, but we need a QB of the present to win right now, and as I said before, Kolb is the guy the Cards have a lot of money invested in, so he needs to get the job done this year or we should send him packing. Skelton’s got promise, but he’s just too inconsistent and makes too many bad decisions, which we can’t afford with the 49ers back to their winning ways and the Rams and Seahwks improving. I see Skelton as no more than a backup. I do think we should keep Lindley in the mix, because it would be a shame for the Cards to release him and he go somewhere else and excel. Good young QBs are not plentiful.

47. By Justonio Sahncez on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

My concern with Kolb is fear in the pocket. He looked really good in the opener last season. Then he threw that perfect bomb to 11 in Washington, but took a solid hit. After that hit he seemed skittish. At the first sign of pocket degradation, he turned tail and ran. He didn’t just sit down like some scared qbs, he turned around and ran the wrong way. Kevin “Jim Marshall” Kolb. A 6-yard sack is acceptable, 8+ is not. It made me sick when he did that on more than one occasion last year. I think he is scared back there. Perhaps this is because of his size in relation to the men trying to sack him, or perhaps because of the line. Either way, it is hard to regain that pocket presence. Skelton creates a much more stable pocket.

Everybody talks about his accuracy compared to Skelton’s. Kolb missed Housler on two open throws last year. Again, unacceptable. You don’t have to make every play, but when it is there you better make most of the easy ones. Skelton hit 11 a few times on plays that Fitz broke open. When John makes is decisive, his ball is accurate enough. He is also a better runner, had less sacks, and is more durable.

The problem with a preseason battle, is John probably looks even more eratic and goofy in shorts, and Kevin looks even more crisp and efficient in 7-on7s.

Honestly, I would like to see John Skelton take it. I realize the investment in Kolb, but everybody sees that Skelton is better. Just like during the fateful Ravens game in which Kurt supplanted an ineffective Leinart. You can see it in game. They had the same team, same scheme, and same line, completely different results. If Kolb wins it, I hope he WINS it and it is because he is playing much better. Then the Cards can play much better, and we are all happy.

48. By clssylssy on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

@KKfan…TWO concussions = a ticking time bomb in the NFL OR are you totally unaware of the MEGA concussion lawsuit in which at least four teams have also been named in addition to the helmet company. In addition to the concussions, you may recall that Kevin also had a serious case of turf toe, which for a QB is really a big deal and is more than an ingrown toenail. My concern for Kolb has more to do with his two little girls and my hope that another concussion doesn’t end his career and put him on disability. I think he is fragile but, that being said, whoever, is our starter is going to need to knock one out of the park and get the season off right with a win against Seattle. Both of the guys, Kolb and Skelton, have enough really great talent around them that if they can stay healthy and perform reasonably well, we should have a shot at getting back to the playoffs…we have to win our Division, knock off some of the big boys and have the same passion to win that Fitz, Wilson, Dockett and other seniors have. GO CARDS! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

49. By cardsalltheway on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

What’s funny is that some Cardinal fans like to think that K. Kolb is still unproven, after how many years? K. Kolb should have a leg up on Matt Flynn with all his experience so if the Seahawks beat us the first game of the season with Flynn in our house we could be doomed if we stick with Kolb.

50. By CORMAC on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

First of all…. 49ers are going to be in second place in our division next year, BUT they will be the FIRST LOSER… So props for that. Secondly, please fans stay off the crack because KOLB was way better than SKELTON. He actually moved us down the field in a manner akin to KURT WARNER. Chipping away the yards and getting to the end of the field. YA, I love Skelton, becuae in a pinch he can NOT lose it for us, but will never have a blistering pass attack like KOLB.

On another note, we get one extra game in preaseason for the hall of fame game…. THIS WILL HELP US ALOT, its almost unfair because we will be so much better than the 49ers when we meet. So 49er fans, theres your reason why we beat the crap out of you. We will help you pick up your teeth afterwards..

A QUESTION FOR DARREN. If you had to pick a third quarterback for YOUR team, would it be BARTEL OR LINDSAY and why?

51. By Darren Urban on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Cormac —

RE: third Qb

I haven’t even seen Lindley play, save for a handful of non-contact OTAs. No way to answer that right now.

52. By mike on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway,

If Kevin Kolb is proven, then he has proven to be WAY OVERRATED!

Looking like it might be the worst trade ever in most recent years by the cardinals, especially if DRC has a solid season this year.

CARDS, SIGN DRC NEXT YEAR PLS! Peterson & DRC is a very nice 1, 2, punch.

53. By mike (AZcatsNcards) on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

DARREN,

Why do you HATE the Arizona Cardinals? I know you have to put on a show since they are writing you checks, but deep down you hate them. lol WHY? You don’t even seem excited this year about training camp and the season starting compared to previous years. (I am giving you a hard time) FOOTBALL IS BACK BABY! GOT TO BE PUMPED UP! LETS GO CARDS!

Who are your top players you like media wise as far as access, honesty, attitude, etc.?

Thanks,

AZcatsNcards (Mike)

54. By clssylssy on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

@CORMAC…ROFL@Kolb akin to Kurt Warner!…Whatever man, you must have missed the part where Kolb was either on his back or on the sidelines last season:) It’s too bad that with all the talent on our team it seems to come down to this every year…the Cards are “waiting” to identify a leader. With all Fitz’s talk about “getting old” and “wanting jewelry” to make him feel like his career is complete, I don’t look for him to stick around hanging all his hopes on indecision and inaction on the part of the organization. Jerry Rice consider’s Fitz the best WR in the league and contract or no, he can go anywhere…the Cards need him more than he needs the Cards. Let’s GET BACK TO THE SB!
    FITZ, DOCKETT, WILSON, have paid their dues and deserve a ring! GO CARDS!

55. By Darren Urban on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Mike/Azcats —

RE: Top players

First of all, it’s always nice to have football again. Being away from the family for a month isn’t as nice.

As far as access, one thing I have always said in my decade-plus of covering this team is that the locker room has rarely had many jerks. Most of the guys are good guys. Some would rather not deal with reporters more than others, but that’s understandable. I hate to single guys out — I can’t think of any I can’t approach. Now, some guys are just better with a phrase. When Darnell’s in the right frame of mind, he has good quotes. Daryn Colledge. John Skelton. Adrian Wilson (when he wants to). Patrick Peterson. Ryan Williams. Nick Eason. Vonnie Holliday. Again, it’s a good locker room.

56. By dan on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Seems like Kolb always like to run to the right when he gets pressure, even when he doesn’t have to run to the right. Hopefully being more familiar with the offense will help with his early bailouts.

57. By victor pino on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

go cards!!

58. By jasonsoroski on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

This is a case where Kolb was paid a lot of money and brought here to start, and Skelton is kinda the home-town favorite. In that way it does resemble the Warner/Leinart battle. Fans always root for the underdog, and in this case that is Skelton. Kolb will have to win over the coaches, and the fans.