Wilson gets another contract extension

Posted by Darren Urban on July 24, 2012 – 11:18 am

Adrian Wilson has always wanted to stay a Cardinal, and it means something to him to make sure the team is doing well. So getting another contract extension Tuesday — he now is under contract until 2015 — is not a total shock. Wilson is coming off a Pro Bowl season and played well the second half of last season. He was also scheduled to make more than $6 million this season, so the Cards extending and restructuring, lowering a cap hit, wouldn’t be a surprise. Terms were not announced but Wilson and coach Ken Whisenhunt are expected to address it later as the players report to Flagstaff. Wilson’s old deal was supposed to end after 2013.

Wilson still talks about playing a few more years. I know he isn’t thinking retirement yet. UPDATE: Full story here.

I’m on the road right now driving up myself to Flag. I’ll have more later.

Tags:

27 Responses to “Wilson gets another contract extension”

1. By D on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Very Proactive-Great for the Cards. When Mr. Wilson hits the 30-30 club in the next 2 years, then he will go down in the Top 5 of All time AZ Great Card players…
    (Larry F, A. Williams, L. Centers…fill in the blank)

now a D. Washington extension before Dec would be smart and another great move…

2. By mal on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Why the hell would A-dub think about retirement?

Thats for old guys.

He’s thinking about a SB ring.

3. By Nick Pepe on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Drive safely …. Looking forward to the updates

4. By Showme4570 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

If anyone deserves an extension it is Adrian. There are few Cardinal players who have been as faithful to the organization and I know of none with more class or who are a better family man. Congrats Mister Wilson. GO CARDS

5. By David on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Now he will be part of the 30-30 club.

6. By azqfan on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Good news. I just hope Horton uses him more at the line of scrimmage, and not in coverage. Play to his strengths and not weaknesses.

7. By azqfan on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Good news. I just hope Horton uses him more on the line of scrimmage and not in coverage. Play to his strengths, not weaknesses.

8. By Travis on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

drive careful, it’s coming down biblical up here!

9. By john89 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

a-dub a card for life ! great news !

10. By Skiptim on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Darren: “I’m on the road right now driving up myself to Flag. I’ll have more later.”

WAIT UNTIL YOU AREN’T DRIVING TO WRITE, JEEZE!

11. By john on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

AAAAAAAAAAA DDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!! All Day!

12. By Jesse Robles on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Although I am very critical of Adrian WIlson and his covering skills in the past, I do so because I want him to be the best. I am just happy to know that the Cardinals are one of the Few teams that can draft guys and keep guys here their whole career, well, since Michael took over. I just like what they are doing, in the big picture. I just want to see Horton sign one now and I will be happy. Defense Wins Championships. Happy for ADub though, he deserves it, I can officially get an ADub Jersey since he wont be playing for another team, nor does he want to. It is our year.

13. By John Rennecamp on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Great!! He really responded last year after a poor ’10 season and showed how great a player he is.

14. By AZRON on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

YEAH, A-DUB!!!!!!!!!

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Skiptim –

RE: Driving

I was pulled over when I posted and tweeted, rest assured.

16. By daniel on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

awww hell yeah !!!!!

17. By sackman on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

This is why I am proud to say I am a Cardinal Fan for Life. Good Job A-Dub and Michael!!!

(Since the 70′s)

18. By D on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

PUP list for Beanie, does that mean AZ is looking to pick up a Vet RB for camp?

19. By Dustin whitlock on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

hey darren-

will you get me a fitz autograph while you guys are up there please?? and just wanted to say not suprised by this but it did make me happy to make things solidified and locked down to be a cardinal! thanks darren for all the time and effort you put into this site for all of us, keeps me going on down time!

p.s. the autograph question was serious, please!!! :) haha

20. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Thank you, AzCardinals. A-Dub is one of those players who is a Class Act on and off the field.

Thanks for keeping the news about the Cards coming in Darren.

GO CARDS!!!!

21. By SelfSoma on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Couldn’t happen to a better guy…on and off-the-field he’s a class act with HOF caliber talent. So glad he will be a Cardinal for his entire career! Well done Adub and Cards organization. Way to keep our most important leaders happy and locked in! SB or Bust!!!!

22. By CreditCard on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Lots of people talk, while very few lead by example. On another subject, I would like to have my quads as strong as Mr. Wilson’s bi-ceps. Opposing receivers must keep one eye on the ball, and the other on Mr. Wilson — at all times!

23. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Kudos for Wilson for thinking team first.
    Dos questions Darren, neither of which is related to other:
    1.) Lots of Card players have taken restructures some of which weren’t in their favor, but most have been. Has Darnell Dockett ever done this?
    2.) I know Wilson is one of your favorite quote machines, but does his seemingly aloofness alienate some of his prospective fanbase, IYO?

24. By Darren Urban on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: questions

1) No.

2) I guess it depends on the fan. All I know is that Adrian is one of the most genuine players I’ve met.

25. By Brian R. on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Adrian Wilson will retire a Cardinal. It makes me feel better as a fan to know he will be with us from the start to the end of his athletic career.

26. By dean bower on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

class act..

2. Jul 24, 2012: Adrian Wilson: Cardinals Reportedly Sign Star Safety to Extension | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::