Floyd vs. Peterson and Beanie’s confidence

Posted by Darren Urban on July 25, 2012 – 6:10 pm

Wide receiver Michael Floyd, the Cards’ top draft pick, had a pretty normal first practice Wednesday. He also ended up in a highlight, although it had less to do with him and more to do with the No. 1 pick of a year ago, cornerback Patrick Peterson. On a long bomb, Peterson maneuvered his way into a one-handed interception.

“I’ll watch film later on and see what I did wrong, make sure it doesn’t happen again,” Floyd said, and when it was pointed out that maybe Peterson just made a nice play, Floyd said, “I don’t know. I always feel I can make a play. I kind of feel it was my fault.”

Peterson said he wasn’t going to say anything to the rookie. “That’s my job, so …” Peterson said. But Peterson — who actually is eight months younger than Floyd — praised the newcomer.

“Michael Floyd, he’s going to be a gamer,” Peterson said. “He’s coming here to work. I expect nothing less from him. … I just want to continue to make him better by trying to shut him down. … I just got one interception on him. I know he’ll come back hard tomorrow.”

To Floyd, the first day of practice just meant games are around the corner. Mistakes have to be avoided. “It’s going day-by-day,” Floyd said. “I’m keeping my head in the playbook, because that’s all I have to do now. … You don’t have homework anymore (from college). The homework is the big, fat playbook.”

– RB Beanie Wells was asked what exactly he had done to his knee when it was surgically repaired. “I had a scope and we did some things in there and we kind of let it settle down and let it get right,” he said. He wouldn’t say when he’d return to camp, but he insisted he will play when the regular season starts. “I know for a fact there is no question of being ready for Sept. 9,” he said.

– Undrafted rookie linebacker Zach Nash left practice early after hurting his right leg. No details yet.

– There was a good turnout for the first workout. And the Cards ended a little early.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Floyd vs. Peterson and Beanie’s confidence”

1. By Don Zerbst on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Great comment by PP. It will be great to see BOTH Peterson and Floyd do well…go CARDS

2. By burdoneski on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

oohh yea!!!,,,go cards!!!

3. By martin leyva on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

Great picture couldn’t of been better!

4. By Chris on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren

What´s the situation with the playbook? As Floyd had OTA´s and the rest of the offseason, shouldn’t he be finished with learning that “big, fat playbook”? Or do coaches install new plays in training camp?

5. By michaelmailand on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

And here it is

6. By mdcards4life on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

building on core players for the present and future.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Playbook

It’s both. They go over stuff they did in the offseason, and then add more.

8. By Dynosoar on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

I’ve read almost every post of yours over the past several years. Thanks for all your writings. I’m posting this here because as an older post, it’ll get to you and not bog down the reading on newer posts.

From time to time you invite us, your loyal readership, for story ideas. Here’s one, I’ll let you decide if it’s a good idea or no.

How about a story on the ins and outs of the practice squad. I have questions such as; why only eight members to the squad? What’s the purpose(s) of the practice squad? Are they to help the team practice or are they to get practice in case there’s an injury or is it some combination thereof? How does the process work for determining who’s on the practice squad? How much time/reps in practice do the practice squad members actually receive? I have other questions, but these are the big ones. What percentage of practice squad members see actual NFL game time play? I’m sure there’d be other information to include, these are just my questions.

Thanks.

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur —

RE: Story idea

It’s something that intrigues me. Thanks. Maybe later in camp when we get closer to getting a squad.

10. By joe67 on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

I would like to read about the P S also. Good idea Dynosaur.

11. By Darren on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Who threw the pass?

12. By Cards and Coyotes Fan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Great topic Dynosaur. I’ve always wondered about the practice squad myself. And great job Darren covering the Cardinals.

13. By Scott H on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Sigh…I envy the people who live out there and can actually go to and see these practices! That must be awesome. Living in New Jersey, I may as well be on another planet.

14. By cardsalltheway on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

“RB Beanie Wells was asked what exactly he had done to his knee when it was surgically repaired. “I had a scope and we did some things in there and we kind of let it settle down and let it get right,” he said.”

That answers everything, thank you Beanie!

15. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren —

RE: Pass

I wasn’t paying attention, to be honest.

16. By Dynosoar on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Joe67 and Cards and Coyotes Fan: thanks for reading my post and I’m glad you liked the idea.

Scott H, regarding your being on another planet, I was born in New Jersey and my wifes response to your comment about me was “Well, that explains a lot.” Thanks for letting my secret out.

Here’s to our first game vs. New Orleans and our last game IN New Orleans. GO Cards!

17. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

That is one hell of a matchup and Peterson with a one-handed pick DAMN! Beanie better be ready because his job ain’t safe with Ryan back healthy and hopefully can stay that way. I hate that he may just be a very good injury-prone player in and out ugh!