Cards sign veteran guard Hochstein

Posted by Darren Urban on July 26, 2012 – 6:15 pm

With a roster spot open after waiving the injured undrafted rookie Blake DeChristopher, the Cardinals signed veteran guard Russ Hochstein. Terms were not disclosed, but Adam Caplan reported it is for one-year and that makes sense. Hochstein is going into his 12th season, having played with the Broncos, Patriots and Buccaneers. He had been with the Denver the past three seasons.

Hochstein, who can also play center, will be a veteran to throw into the mix that includes a ton of youth after the Cards drafted linemen Bobby Massie, Nate Potter and Senio Kelemete. His versatility could give him a shot to stick around, although again, the Cards want to get younger. Right now, though, the backup guard choices are Kelemete, Chris Stewart and undrafted rookie Braeden Clayson, all of whom are unproven.

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Cards sign veteran guard Hochstein”

1. By mike (AZcatsNcards) on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

I think this is a great signing. I hope his experience and work ethic will prove he deserves a spot on the roster. If not, no loss. That’s always been my motto, “ALWAYS do it if you have NOTHING to LOSE and something to GAIN!”

I heard reports about NFL attendance continuing to go down as more fans stay home and watch games on their big screen HDTVs. I know the NFL is looking and have made some changes to improve the at game experience for fans in attendance (being able to watch challenged plays on big screen while officials do, etc.) I don’t know if you can do a piece on this or just answer my question (or both), but I know some NFL teams will be allowing fans to listen to mic’d up players/coaches as well as listen to plays being called both on the defensive and offensive side of the ball. As a season ticket holder (from Tucson) this interests me very much. What are the Cardinals Org. doing to enhance fan’s experience while attending live games?
    Thank you very much for your time Darren.

2. By Jzoully on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Nice, but I still believe that Senio Kelemete the 2nd string not Hotchstein. Sorry buddy but this is probably not for you.

3. By Peter in Canada on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

I see this as a good signing. You say his versatility gives him a chance to stick around but in the event of an injury do you really see the backup guards as starters at the moment? I think his experience should rate him just behind Snyder and Colledge. Do you not agree?

4. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Know you’re not a betting man Darren, but a guess which the team would prefer, a youngster like Ryan Barthlomew, a vet like Hochstein or maybe bringing Ben Claxton back?
    Also, in a pinch, could LS Mike Leach be serviceable?

5. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Game enhancing

I don’t know specifics. I know things like putting mics on players/coaches has been talked about, but I don’t think it’s set in stone and I’d guess you’ll never hear play calls. I will see what I can find out.

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Peter —

RE: Hochstein

Well, I haven’t seen him yet. Who knows? No way to know how much he has left, or if he’d be worth keeping over a younger player. There are only so many roster spots.

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Backup center

I don’t see Claxton coming back. Snyder can play center if he had to. Bartholomew and Hochstein will have to fight for spots. As for Leach, his “real” position is tight end, not offensive line.

8. By CreditCard on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Hochstien is to mentor the younger lineman. If Hochstien makes the team, the cards are admitting some of their draft picks were without much research.

9. By clssylssy on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

If the organization is interested in continuing to sell out all their home games, Ii would think the smart thing would be to make tickets affordable for the many fans who have fallen victim to the Valley’s depressed economy and lack of jobs.
    There is NOTHING like the game experience of attending a Cards game in person however, the sound system is terrible with a lot of distortion, making it hard to hear the calls above the noise (the noise I don’t object to!) I know a lot of people who listen to the game on the radio while watching in person because they otherwise can’t hear what is going on down on the field. I remember years ago when the “Protect the Nest” program first started it was a four game pack and I have encouraged new fans to get tickets this way as a terrific buy. I hate the idea of them “micing” the players…going too high tech seems to ruin the “at game” experience but then, I like tradition and I hate the token female sports “analysts” who blow their cue cards because they are more interested in making a splash in TV!

10. By mike (AZcatsNcards) on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Game enhancing

As always you are the best team writer. Thank you and I look forward to hearing your findings. Thanks again.

11. By johnnybluenose on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

i think the game experience is great just the way it is and i think any of the suggested changes would be a distraction. nothing wrong with listening to the game on your radio though. i know people who do the same thing while attending baseball games. as for ticket prices, i think they are reasonable for the average fan. my seats are in section 122 and are $70 apiece. i think that’s pretty good value. i have a friend who has season tickets to the ny jets. his seats are in the lower end zone, similar to my cardinals tickets. he pays $125 apiece for his plus he had to pay a one-time personal licensing fee of $4000 for his pair of tickets. the protect the nest plan is a great way for fans to see a few games and enjoy the atmosphere without having to spend too much money. the only thing is, they won’t get too close to the field but, as the saying goes, you only get what you pay for. i hope these games continue to sell out forever. the team needs to be supported. a couple of years ago i went to a game in jacksonville, florida. there were at least 25,000 empty seats. it was embarrassing and i felt sorry for the dedicated fans who did show up. teams need to be supported. their fans miss them when the team decides to relocate.

12. By cardsalltheway on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Mike and johnnybluenose,
    “RE: Game enhancing
    I don’t know specifics.”

“As always you are the best team writer.”

I’ve posted this before but here it is again for the easily satisfied…,
    ‘NFL wants high-speed Internet for every fan in every stadium’
    “NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he wants every fan in every stadium to be able to access the Internet using whatever device they carry into the stands with them, as the NFL continues to grapple with the fact that for many fans, watching games on TV at home — for free — is a better experience than spending a small fortune to go to the game.”

“Goodell knows that many fans watching at home use their computers to read up on NFL news while they’re watching the game, or flip to the Red Zone Channel during commercials to see what’s happening around the league.”

13. By mike (AZcatsNcards) on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Johnnybluenose,

I didn’t say I didn’t like the game experience (Im a season ticket holder from Tucson/ long drive there and back especially when we lose). However, I do think it can be enhanced. I simply was stating a fact that the NFL acknowledged. More and more fans are staying home and watching the game on their big screen HDTVs and not having to deal with traffic as well as $8.50 beers and overpriced food. I like the ideas i mentioned and the thinking of them are to better understand the game and the strategy of the team. For example, why are they calling the same damn play when it got us 1 yard the 1st time and -2 yards the second, etc. What is the defense or offense seeing that MOST fans don’t see or understand. With that being said, I think watching the challenged play or review in the stadium is long over due. Finally, even if tickets were $10 a game as an intelligent person you should still complain of the prices. I wish my tickets were cheaper (means more cards gear for me, etc.)!

14. By Scott H on Jul 28, 2012 | Reply

Well, I like that 2 of the 3 teams he has been with previously ( Broncos and Pats ) are teams that have tended to have very good offensive lines. Seems like a good addition. Provides depth and a guy who can be a starter if needed. Can’t have enough of those guys.

15. By vinny m on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Why would’nt they pick up a young fourth year player like Rich Ohrnberger. He is a former 4th round draft pick out of PSU that spent the last three years with the New Engand Patriots.

16. By Eazy E on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I like anybody from that awesome Patriots line. Denver’s line ain’t bad either. Could play a nice role for us at G and/or C.

17. By William Barry on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

It never hurts to have enough backups. GO Cards!!!!!, and Denver always has good lineman.