Watching A-Dub, Toler’s body of work

Posted by Darren Urban on July 29, 2012 – 5:54 pm

When Greg Toler arrived in the NFL from tiny Saint Paul’s, he didn’t have a lot of background for building an NFL body. He was a relatively skinny 185 pounds at 6-feet tall. He is still reminded a lot about what he’s had to get used to — just the other day, he and Beanie Wells were getting worked on for their respective rehabbing injuries and Wells told Toler the upscale treatments were something he’s had done since his college days at Ohio State. Toler said all they had at Saint Paul’s was “ice and stim,” as in basic electronic stimulation.

“Heck, where I was, you could have been stabbed on the field and all you would have gotten was ice and stim,” Toler said. “I’m grateful where I came from but at the same time, you want to make sure your body is always ready.”

To that end, Toler’s rehab from a torn ACL has been more than just getting his knee right. The cornerback’s upper body has been transformed enough to make him look like a mini-Adrian Wilson — a good thing for a guy who has shown to be a willing and able tackler. He now weighs 193.

“A lot of guys say, ‘Man, you have no body fat, you’re on the A-Dub workout,’ ” Toler said. “Being compared to A-Dub, that’s always an honor, but I’m not quite there. He comes in 220-plus, two percent body fat. I ever get there, that’d be great.”

Wilson doesn’t work out with Toler in the offseason, but the veteran safety has done what he can to deliver the right message of preparation, which includes being not just in shape but the right shape.

“The NFL is something you can’t take for granted,” Wilson said. “A lot of things go into being a complete player. You have to have your personal life together, your nutrition together, weight room together, your work ethic together, in order to become the player you want to be on the field.

“I didn’t learn that my first two or three years in the league. (Then) I went from 196 pounds to 220 overnight because I finally understood and I wanted to become a force. That’s something guys have to be committed to. If you aren’t committed to that, you’re not committed to being the best you can be.”

Wilson said the coaching staff has raved to him about Toler’s commitment, not just to get rehabbed but his entire workout. “Hopefully,” Wilson said, “it will show up in September.”

P.S. Here are some action shots of Saturday’s Red-White practice, and also of the autograph session.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Watching A-Dub, Toler’s body of work”

1. By Kurt on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Toler’s is going to open a few eyes if he can stay on the field. Big Toler fan here

2. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 29, 2012 | Reply

Toler fan as well.
    The guy has CB tackle stats similar to Antrel Rolle. (Without the Japanese Blossom lotion.)
    Like Whiz said, a DB is going to be cut (barring injury) that will make someone else’s squad.
    Hope it’s not Greg.

3. By Bo on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Nice Work, Toler! You’re going to be great this season.

Check out Toler in the background on this photo, dang!

4. By jeffgollin on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Competition is fierce, but I believe that, if Toler’s knee is OK, he starts.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if – given our depth at CB (& the scarcity of quality corners around the league) Jefferson, Toler, Gay, Adams or Fleming becomes trade bait before the beginning of regular play

5. By cardsalltheway on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

I’d hate to see the size of his left thigh, or has he built it up to nearly the same as his right? As I’ve said before, he won’t be starting at CB the first game of the season, maybe he can be of some help somewhere on some downs/defensive schemes in the second half of the season. PUP? I think he needs more time to build up that thigh etc…he’d get burned at CB if he started early in the season, probably worse than A.J. last year in his worst game. Do you think he could get much spring/elevation sprinting down the sideline against a 2nd WR while trying to jump up and block a pass or maybe worse yet, landing on it?

6. By D on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Maybe if Toler continues to improve and get bigger and this year if R. Johnson and J Sanders don’t show like long term answers at Safety, then maybe move Toler to learn behind Adub and his future replacement. Appears they have options at CB
    Right now, I don’t know if we have Adub’s replacement at Safety in 2 years on the roster..

7. By Darren Urban on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Toler/PUP

Once you practice in camp you cannot be on PUP.

8. By cardsalltheway on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

Well, I said back in March(see my 2nd comment)…

that the Giants Terrell Thomas would be a good comparison or gauge as to watching Greg Toler’s progress. Not good news for Terrell Thomas as he re-injures his ACL from last year ~ about the same time G. Toler injured his knee…

Here’s hoping G. Toler isn’t pushed too hard or expected to do too much.