Hall important to Grimm, but he has priorities

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2012 – 8:49 am

At each year’s induction ceremonies at the Pro Football Hall of Fame includes the chance for each Hall of Famer to return to Canton, don his gold jacket and take part in the festivities. That’s something Cardinals assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm — inducted in 2010 — wants to do as much as he can.

This year, he can’t. The Cardinals won’t even arrive in Canton until Saturday night, and besides, Grimm said, “there are priorities.”

“I’ve got three young kids we drafted and a couple more young kids (on the offensive line), those are priorities,” Grimm said. “I’d rather spend an extra day in meeting time then sitting there in a gold jacket. That’s reality.”

The three draftees are guard Senio Kelemete, tackle Bobby Massie and tackle Nate Potter. Massie and Kelemete are second-string. They can use the time with Grimm.

But that doesn’t mean Grimm isn’t looking forward to the trip back to be around “a very humbling weekend.” Grimm will be part of the private tour the team will take of the Hall of Fame, and he still hasn’t had a chance to see his bronze bust in the Hall.

“I have the replica they give you but I want to see the one in Canton,” Grimm said. “I’m glad it happened. I didn’t play the game to get into the Hall of Fame. It’s a great reward. But it was getting to the point where family and friends were saying, ‘This is the year, this is the year.’ I was more excited just so I could stop hearing from people, ‘Aww, you got screwed.’ “

As for his gold jacket, that’s staying behind. He’ll wear Cardinal red this weekend. “I’m not even going to take it,” Grimm said. “It’s hanging in the closet.”

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Hall important to Grimm, but he has priorities”

1. By Travis on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

That a boy Russ! We need the new hogs in AZ. gotta give Beanie and Ryan some room to run!

2. By Matt H on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren I have a great idea here and I’m sure it’s been brought up already and probably nixed due to bandwidth concerns, but what about a live feed of training camp practices? The seahawks have one. Would be a great way for fans in the valley to get a little more camp access.

3. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Matt H —

RE: Live feed

It’s been discussed. There are multiple issues with it right now.

4. By brad oneill on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

regarding live feeds im sure our coach who thinks football information should be treated as a national security issue would probably have a problem with any kind of live feed at practice. hell darren isnt even allowed to tweet during practices. Im not saying its wrong to be carefully guarded but you cant even get a straight answer out of the man I doubt he is willing to give video.

5. By Mark on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, Will The Hall Of Fame Game Be Televised On Ch.15 Or Just NFL Netowrk? Cause I Don’t Have that Channel

6. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Mark —

RE: HoF game

It will also be on Ch. 5 KPHO.

7. By Mark on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Thank’s Darren!!

8. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Don’t know how to phrase this question without sounding crass or possibly having you dodge it Darren, but IYO if something happened to Whisenhunt would Grimm be a viable replacement?

I’ve heard the speculation that Russ is VERY well thought of in the organization.

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Grimm

Obviously he’d be it in the short-term. Long-term, I have no idea.

10. By WarnerHOF on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

We were very disappointed that the Red-White scrimmage was not posted on the training camp schedlule on the Cardinals website before we left for Flagstaff on Monday the 23rd. We made our reservations through Thurs only. Would have stayed for the scrimmage had we known.

11. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

WarnerHOF —

RE: Schedule

The schedule has been on the site since June 28:

12. By Eazy E on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Great mindset because our O-Line ain’t good enough for any wasted time.

2. Aug 3, 2012: Arizona Cardinals OL Coach Russ Grimm Returning to Hall of Fame | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::