• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Kolb back by Wednesday, to start Sunday

Posted by Darren Urban on July 31, 2012 – 12:22 pm

Quarterback Kevin Kolb indeed has a right thigh contusion, and while he may not practice this afternoon, coach Ken Whisenhunt said Kolb will return by Wednesday and he will start in the Hall of Fame game Sunday against the Saints. Starting Sunday doesn’t mean much; I’d expect that John Skelton will get a start or two in the preseason as well as the two continue to compete for the permanent starting job.

– CB Crezdon Butler has been nursing a hip flexor suffered Saturday. He is day to day.

– The Cards are considering adding a running back because of injuries, Whisenhunt said, but with Beanie Wells’ return apparently imminent (well, next week), the team doesn’t want to have too many backs either.

– Whisenhunt said LB Stewart Bradley “will be involved” this season and is pushing Paris Lenon for the starting spot.

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “Kolb back by Wednesday, to start Sunday”

1. By Kurt on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Looking forward to Bradley’s enhanced role

2. By Jason Zumwalt on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

The Bradley/Lenon fight is one I’m very interested in. Lenon is a beast.

3. By Rio on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

CARDS JUST SIGN A REAL NEED FOR THEM, WITH KOLB NEWEST INJURY , COACH WHIZ TOLD FRONT OFFICE TO SIGN ANOTHER DOCTOR.

4. By theuglitruth on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I think we are all smart enough to understand that Kolb is the likely starter because of the significant cost that was paid to aquire him (notice I didn’t call it an investment). But, what we are really waiting for is for him to start playing well, not just start. Same goes for the Bradley…lots of cost ($10M signing bonus), zero results. It’s early, but the staff has to justify those mis-steps. Hopefully not at the expense of deserving players. But it is a business, and someone has to be accountable for those moves like any other business. It’s not like Graves/Whiz are going to jump on the “I admit it was a mistake” bus.

5. By dean bower on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

whats Kolb wearing out there flip flops? last year it was turf toe.com on man maybe football is not the sport for you Kolb. good grief!!!!

6. By Matt H on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren you should switch the underground podcast back to linking to an MP3 file, It actually becomes accessible for me to download to a mobile device that way when the website posts it rather than waiting for the app/itunes (of which I install no apple software)

7. By AndyStandsUp on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I read somewhere earlier this week that Whiz would preferably like to name a starter at QB by preseason game three, game 4 at the latest.

Does that sound feasible to you, Darren?

8. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Matt H –

RE: Underground

I’ll pass along the idea.

9. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Starter

He hasn’t said anything that I have heard. He’d like to have a starter named now. I think it’ll depend on how it all plays out.

10. By shockwave on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Is Kolb having any concussion symptoms?

11. By Matt H on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

That would be great, or even if it was just an alternate link other than the media player, I know some RSS feeds do that. Thanks for at least listening!

12. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

shockwave –

RE: Concussion

13. By Darren Urban on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Matt H –

RE: More Underground

“If he wants to download specific mp3’s, here is the xml link: http://prod.static.cardinals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/podcast/podcasts.xml It contains everything that is on iTunes without having to go to iTunes.”

14. By KDubADub1324 on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Man, after reading some of the comments that others make about Kolb, people really can’t help but rip him. He can do no right and Skelton can do no wrong. It makes me wonder if it’s about more than just football. Give Kolb a break. I can totally understand SOME of the heat that Kolb gets. But I think it’s too early to write him off. This is the year for him. There will be no more excuses after this. This is the year his judgment is official in my opinion. His first 3 years, He was a back up to McNabb. His 4th year he got hurt, didn’t get his job back because Vick had an unbelievable year and who in their right mind wouldn’t have stuck with Vick at that time? And then in his 5th year, he gets another crack at it and was sidelined by injuries. Not to mention he didn’t get the offseason work to help prepare him to meet the expectations that were set for him. Dude was coming to a totally different situation that what he had in Philly. He’s had a string of bad luck the past two seasons. But as I said, this is the year he either puts up or he’s done. If he gets hurt again and doesn’t produce, he’s officially injury prone. If he stays healthy and still doesn’t produce then he’s a bust. I’m not Kolb fan, I’m just being reasonable about it. I don’t think last year was enough to write him off and I think he gets another chance. The same can be said for DRC. He didn’t exactly light up the sky in his first year in Philly and he got hurt too. But now he’s got the offseason to prepare and I personally expect him to do better than what he did. Everyone wants to ride Skelton because he “won” games. May I add that in the games Skelton “won”, only one of those was against a winning/playoff team (SF)? Plus the defense was playing out of their mind in the 2nd half of the season, and I give them more of the credit than anything. Kolb had to play PIT, BAL, and NYG. Not to mention the D was atrocious in the first half of the season and gave up games that should have been won. So it’s difficult to make an accurate assessment of what you’re getting from both guys; hence, the “QB competition.” I think some of these fans like Skelton more, for whatever reasons I don’t care to know. I like him too, but I also don’t think Kolb has done anything to draw ALL the personal attacks he gets. If anything, he knows he wasn’t that good and he’s handled it professionally. Anyhow, it’d be nice to see the fans not choose either side, but to support whoever comes out of it on top. Sorry for the long post…Go CARDS!!

15. By jake huston on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

i know im just a mechanic but ive smashed my head got 9 stitches went back to work i bash, burn, bang my hands ,head, and legs every day 300+days a year . for my family and way of life he gets all the money in world and cant play or practice threw a bruise or bad toe . you wanna play steeler ball act like middle class workers that works threw what it takes to provide for there family and way of life. man up and work kolb we”ll support you if your worth it

16. By cobra on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Breaking news:

Support all of our local teams. Go Dbacks!

17. By chris on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

I agree with KDubADub1324. Great interview with the rookie Darren, I would like to see more. I didn’t think I could be more of a fan of Fitz, but after watching Zoom I have even more respect for what does.

18. By Matt H on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

RE: alternate link

Thanks Darren, you made my day (been finagling MP3s from the site with effort for a couple years now)

19. By Derrick Haskan on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

Let Bartel play he’s better than the other two

20. By Soares20 on Jul 31, 2012 | Reply

@KDubADub1324

Couldn’t agree more!!! Everyone needs to settle down on trashing Kolb, I doubt any QB could master a brand new system in a few days. Give the guy a chance this is his year. Call him a bust if you want but wait one more season a little bit of support isn’t going to do anything but GOOD for this team.

@cobra

Go Dbacks!!! They are kicking some major butt right now

21. By Hammy on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

For fans who have never seen Kolb’s work ethic… he trains like a man on fire. Very intellegent quarterback that can read the defense. Look who ever the Cards pick will lead this team to the playoffs this season. Not to mention our Defense will be top 5 this year. Kolb expects to be a pro bowl player this year and with a full off season I think he can achieve a record breaking season. Plus I think he will be more determined from the whole Manning pursuit.

22. By clssylssy on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@KDubAdub: Do you see a common theme in the KK story? Hint: Injuries, injuries, injuries…C’mon man this is the NFL, not PoP Warner. Great players play through the pain and while I’m sure Kevin Kolb is a great guy this is business! I don’t know of any company who keeps an employee around who has excessive absences or use of sick leave. KK has had TWO concussions and is a ticking timebomb for becoming the next member of the class action suuit against the NFL for concussion injury…four teams have also been named in this suit. Our fanbase has once again become polarized over the QB issue which can’t be in anyway productive for the team; I blame the media in part for this for making a story out of every little thing when all it amounts to is throwing gas on the fire and sensationalizing incidents that are routine, everyday occurrences. The fans are desperately hoping we can get back on top and make the playoffs and are looking for some hope. This is a gladiator sport and the Cards need to toughen up if they are going to get back to the Superbowl

23. By Marcelof on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

such an incredible feeling listening to you guys supporting Kolb, personally I believe that some of his last year’s mistakes were not due to a lack of an offseason. Despite my disbelief in Kolb, there’s nothing I can do but believe the Cards can be a playoff team and why not a superbowl contender?

I can do nothing from South America, no tickets, no road trips.. but I will be a believer and root for any single throw this season to be as successful as they were during Warner’s years.

Go Cards!

24. By suspence716 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Do u think that the saints will have a “secret bounty” out on Kolb cuz they know he’s already banged up and mostly made out of glass? Do u think the saints bounty scandal involved pre-season games?

25. By suspence716 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@KdubAdub- The reason the cardinals lost the ravens game that they were winning big at halftime, was Kolb’s inability to do anything in the second half. The guy had like a total of 8 passing yards in the whole second half of football. Can’t put that one on the defense, hard to play defense when ur quarteback can’t get more than 8 yards in a half and the defense is on the field the whole half of a game.

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

KDubAdub/suspence716 –

RE: Ravens game

27. By Mike T on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Lenon is one of the leaders of that defense. I don’t see Bradley getting much playing time. He just isn’t that good.

Any word on Lenon getting a contract extension to finish out his career here? I think he is one of the unsung hero’s of this defense.

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Mike T –

RE: Paris extension

Given Lenon’s age, I don’t see him getting a deal early. I could see him coming back next season, but it would probably be like Haggans this year, where it happens in the offseason.

29. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@clssylssy,
    Good point about the media. I also agree with how the theme for Kolb has become injuries. In my opinion, I think that’s been his biggest drawback and biggest enemy. For me though, I’d still give him another season before I’d write him off as injury prone though. But he’s flirting with that line right now. The injury excuse is already outdated for him. But again, I’m not exactly sold on those who question his toughness. We can both agree that football is a beast sport. And two concussions are no joke. As Darren mentioned, Kolb did tough it out against BAL with the turf toe. Some injuries can be played through, some can’t. I think back to that WAS game when he got blasted off the edge when he completed that long TD pass to Fitz and got up juiced. That showed me he can at least take a hit and get back up. He’s gotta be injury-free this year to get that monkey off his back though.

@suspence716
    AZ was up 24-6 at the half in the BAL game. They lost 27-30. I don’t fully agree with the logic that Kolb didn’t do enough to sustain that lead. He wasn’t lights out, but he didn’t give up any turnover-6s to BAL’s D. The Ravens Offense straight up mopped the floor with the Cards D in the 2nd half. You obviously disagree and others might too, but I think it’s safe to say that AZ did enough to win the BAL game point-wise, and that more blame could be put on D for that loss

30. By clssylssy on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@suspense716…if you have been paying attention, much of the so-called evidence of a “bounty program” is being revealed to be smoke and mirrors and spin started by “dribbles” of embellished tales from the Commissioner’s office.
    Even Kurt Warner stated he was not the victim of a so-called “bounty system” in the game against the Saints. At the risk of perjury, a number of respected Saints players have sworn they had no knowledge of a Bounty System. I would say if the Cards feel there is a secret plot to take out KK, then the prudent thing would be to not play him. Pfft! Take off the tin foil hat and step into the light! LOL!

31. By joe67 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

re: KK. I will support whoever is the qb. I hope they can both do well, then, if one goes down we will have a heck of a backup and won’t lose much in the process.

I just hope, for heavens sake, people don’t start BOOING, the first fime KK throws an inc pass. I’m sure he is feeling enough pressure without some idiot fans BOOING every time he misses a receiver. Cheer the good passes and let it play itself out. I think we need KK to do well if the team is to do well. Booing only hurts, not help.

32. By CodyZarr on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

“Oh yeah, and he was also playing the whole game with a toe injury that ultimately kept him out a month. You know, “toughing it out” like everyone wants him to. Except that didn’t work out, did it?”

I el oh eld at that. Turf toe is no joke man.

33. By suspence716 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@Clssylssy- All smoke and mirrors? If thats the case why can’t Vilma play, n coach Peyton can’t be anywhere close to the team?…. Smoke n mirrors or actual REALITY!?! Sounds like you know all too well about tin foil hats n such! LOL!

34. By Eazy E on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Boy was that a mistake!

2. Jul 31, 2012: Kevin Kolb to start in Cardinals’ preseason opener - Todays NFL | Todays NFL
  3. Aug 5, 2012: Arizona Cardinals Quarterback Dilemma: No Need to Overreact to Hall of Fame Game | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::