A Hollywood star comes to practice

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2012 – 5:58 pm

The lone practice Thursday afternoon had an unexpected side story — a celebrity fan. Movie star Channing Tatum was on hand watching the workout, thanks to a long-standing friendship with safety Kerry Rhodes. Not unexpected was the stir it created. Tatum’s appearance in Flagstaff had reached across the internet earlier in the afternoon, with people trying to confirm if Tatum was indeed there. After practice, Tatum spoke with coach Ken Whisenhunt, a handful of Cardinals player wives on hand took a picture with him and players were bombarded with questions.

As a team, “we kept our composure,” deadpanned quarterback John Skelton.

Rhodes and Tatum both grew up in Alabama, and met through Rhodes’ sister. “He’s like my brother,” Rhodes said. “We’ve known each other for a while. He’s blown up and done such a good job, I’m proud of him.” Tatum appeared on the season’s first edition of The Big Red Rage, which Rhodes hosts on Arizona Sports 620.

The players have seen their share of celebrity. “We’ve got Larry Fitzgerald and that’s pretty high-powered,” Rhodes said. “But I don’t think Larry can do the strip-tease Channing could do in ‘Magic Mike.’

In the end, Rhodes said, he was just happy to energize the crowd and maybe even bring out a few more fans, “because at the end of the day, it’s about the Cardinals.”

– S Adrian Wilson, CB Marshay Green, RB William Powell and WR Stephen Williams all were out of practices with unknown injuries. CB Crezdon Butler (hip) and RB Javarris James (abductor) remain sidelined as well. RB Ryan Williams took another rest day.

(Here’s a picture of Tatum, Whisenhunt and Rhodes, courtesy of media relations man Mark Dalton.).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “A Hollywood star comes to practice”

1. By Steve Harlan on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Any word on Adub’s injury? I know the coaches are always going to be extra cautious during the pre-season but still always a pause for concern when the heart of the defense is on the sidelines.

2. By Skiptim on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Hot.

3. By helene yazzie on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

hello~surprised2 hear Tatum was in Flagstaff today :) Would be great to meet him & see the Cardinals football players practice.

4. By AB on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone woman give him a freak dance? Like they did in front of his mom here:

5. By AB on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Dancing starts @ 2:25

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Wilson

As I mentioned, no. I don’t know what it is.

7. By joecb91 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

I was in the autograph area when he showed up.

So many girls were screaming and trying to push their way through the group of people to see him. I had no idea who it was at first since I have only seen him in 21 Jump Street but he was nice with all of the fans.

8. By Skiptim on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren, with a bod like Channing’s, do you think it’s fair to assume that Whisenhunt will give him a roster spot, maybe as a backup safety? Dem abs… How did you like Magic Mike, by the way?

9. By LadyCard04 on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Will the entire audio of the Big Red Rage be posted? I miss being able to see them since we moved to Florida.

10. By mal on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

To hell with the stoopid Hollywood star — how is A-dub???

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Magic Mike

Can’t say I’ve seen it.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

LadyCard04 —

RE: BRR

It will be posted, yes.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Wilson

I would tell you if I knew. Coach hasn’t addressed it.

14. By Flyover on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

From the title, I thought this post was about Matt Leinart.

15. By johnnybluenose on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

i’m sorry. until now, i had never heard of tatum channing or channing tatum or whatever his name is. i have a feeling my daughters may have though. on another topic, this one about football, i think it is too bad that we are likely to release one or two good corners who more than likely will end up on some other team. it seems like a waste to me. i know everyone was happy that vonnie re-signed and he is a good mentor and good in the locker room from all accounts. but he is an old guy and no one is counting on him to play very much. would it not make more sense to keep the younger corners, who can actually step in and play a whole game if they had to, rather than keep someone like vonnie around? no disrespect intended towards vonnie.

16. By Kurt on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Flyover

Funny but it would have read: Breaking News: Matt Leinart showed up at practice today…

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

johnnybluenose —

RE: Vonnie vs CBs

You need depth at DL too, right?

18. By johnnybluenose on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

darren, yes you need depth at DL. but it seems to me that if one of our starters were to go down and be out for a few games we would be looking around to see who was out there, not looking at vonnie to play those games. but, toler and adams are guys that can play a whole game and special teams too. i guess i’m just more attached to toler and adams than i am to vonnie and i would be disappointed to see them let go. but, that’s the way it is, isn’t it? everyone goes at some point and it is not always the player’s choice when it comes to saying when that time is.

19. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see that the Cardinals can draw some serious star power. Who says we’re not big time???

Also, nice one-liner from Skelton! I do like this guy!