On the defense being ahead of the offense

Posted by Darren Urban on August 2, 2012 – 12:30 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was asked about the idea that in training camp, NFL defenses usually start out ahead of the offenses. Whiz generally agreed, and acknowledged that it’s the case this year with his team.

“If you are asking me from a statistical standpoint, I would say (stats) would probably bear that out,” Whisenhunt said. “Do I think that’s always the case? No. This year with our team, I think you can subscribe to that. The defense has been together in the system and they are going through the install and they played well at the end of last year. With the quarterbacks it’s a little different because we went through the offseason working on a bunch of fundamentals and getting them up to speed on the offense and they haven’t operated like our defense did. And we have some new guys on the offensive line.

“I think the defense is ahead of the offense. It’s been that way a lot of times. Defense is more reactionary where offense is more learning and being in the right spots. It will end up balancing itself out hopefully.”

– Whiz said he and the coaches probably won’t discuss playing time for Sunday until Saturday.

– If things go according to plan, Whisenhunt said running back Beanie Wells would be able to play in the Oakland game, which would be the Cards’ first preseason home game. There is a long time before then, however, and nothing is set in stone. Wells is still on track to start practicing some next week.

– Whisenhunt said he still hadn’t talked to head athletic trainer Tom Reed about injury updates, so nothing new on what might be up — if anything — with running back William Powell and safety Adrian Wilson, each of whom came out of last night’s work. Nose tackle Dan Williams apparently left the workout too at one point (I hadn’t noticed) and Whisenhunt was asked about him too. Whiz said Williams told him last night he was OK.

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “On the defense being ahead of the offense”

1. By tw3kr on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

How is Zach Nash?

2. By tucsteve on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

i know its early but do you see any differences in the way kolb and skelton play from last year?

3. By tucsteve on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

or what im asking is do you see any improvement or direction of improvement from either one of them? or is it still to early to tell? thanks

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

tw3kr —

RE: Nash

Still out with the ankle sprain. I forgot about him.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

tucsteve —

RE: Differences

I don’t, but that doesn’t mean anything.

6. By clssylssy on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Even though Sunday’s game is a tribute, exhibition preseason game, doesn’t count and all I’m excited to see our guys take the field against a good team and know that the ole competitive drives will kick in once the pads are on and they walk through the tunnel. I know the Saints starters will only make an appearance but nonetheless the game will be a good measuring tool tor the Cards. In going over our depth chart, I get goose bumps at the amount of talent we have all amped up and ready to explode. As far as the QB competition, I expect to see more of Rich Bartel and even Ryan Lindley because I don’t think Coach wants his starter hurt before preseason and everyone knows pretty much what Skelton can do. Should be a very emotional time in Canton and hopefully a visit to the Hall will be motivational for vets and rookies alike. I know Larry Fitz, Wilson, Dockett, and other vets will be thinking long and hard as they walks through the halls. The Cards have a very impressive representation, with several waiting in the wings! GO CARDS! PROUD TO SAY, I’M RED AND I’M PROUD!

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

tucsteve —

RE: QB Improvement

I’d be lying if I said I could tell. It doesn’t mean they haven’t. But until I see them in games, I don’t see how you’d really know.

8. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE the idea that this defense is a potential beast waiting to happen. And NO ONE sees it coming! Heh-heh-heh….