With a nod to Peterson, Acho man of the people

Posted by Darren Urban on August 3, 2012 – 11:00 am

Linebacker Sam Acho seems like he’s talking to everybody and anybody this training camp. Need an interview? He’s your man. You want an autograph? Happy to oblige. And he’s got that giant smile he can’t seem to shake.

“I love talking to people,” Acho said. “I love the opportunity to sign an autgraph for a little kid and have them remember that day for the rest of their life. I figure why not?” As he talks about it after an afternoon practice, a kid among the dozens ringing the lower practice field is screaming, “ACHO!” at the top of his lungs. Acho smiles (of course). “How do you say no to that?”

Acho actually praised fellow second-year man Patrick Peterson about his autograph output. “I inspired him, he said,” Peterson said. After one practice early in camp, Peterson stayed after for about an hour literally signing autographs for every person waiting. “Sam asked me why,” Peterson said. “I told him, ‘Hey, those guys come out and show us love, so I want to show them love so they continue supporting us,” Peterson said.

(When I told Peterson he was setting an awfully high bar for himself when it comes to autographs, he laughed. “Hey, I just want to be the best at everything I do.”)

It affected Acho. “I thought, ‘If Pat can do it, why can’t I?’ ” he said.

Acho’s personality even oozes out when talking about his one-time fourth-round draft status, which was a disappointment. When, for instance, Darnell Dockett went in the third round, he was angry, and it is an angry chip on his shoulder Dockett carries to this day about the subject. Acho being Acho, his chip can’t be anything but positive.

“Draft day was a humbling experience,” Acho said. “I expected to go higher, but I couldn’t have been happier to go to a team like the Cardinals, to get the opportunities I had. Proved God had a plan. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t want to go in the first, second or third round. I’d want to go in the fourth round to the same team, the Arizona Cardinals, because we’ve got a great  thing going.”

Tags: ,

23 Responses to “With a nod to Peterson, Acho man of the people”

1. By SteveG on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

We do seem to have a goodly number of young men that see the world in a positive and constructive light, and choose to live accordingly…From the grizzled AW to Fitz to the Acho/Petersons…(and many between).

Makes being a fan easier seeing the human spirit expressed positively.

2. By hummer53 on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Just about every player on this team is a great guy. In fact I can’t think of anybody who isn’t. This team and their fans deserve success and I hope we get it.

3. By Smoothcardga on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

I loved sam’s pick and said both he and Scho were steals in their respective rounds…

I think that’s about to be realized…

4. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Way to go guys. It is so cool to watch this Team grow and mature and always trying to do and be the best with the fans on and off the field.

GO CARDS!!!

5. By Dynosoar on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Truly great people inspire others. Truly great people look at the greatness of others and say “I can do that.” and do it.

So if anyone wants my autograph (sorry, couldn’t resist a little humor.)

Darren, thanks for puting the real greatness of our team into print, After reading this I want to better. So now that lunch is over, I’m back to work.

6. By brad oneill on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

“ACHO!!!” just wanted to say glad you are here brother, I love this team!

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Too Cute!

Glad to see another high-character guy playing for e Cards.

8. By Bob-O on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

*tear* that video is great!

9. By Dynosoar on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Ottis Anderson Fan.

When I was eight in 1977 my dad showed me all the helmets and I wanted the one with the “pretty red bird.” (I know, but I was only eight.)

I still have that helmet and it still has the number 32 in blue ink on the base of the back, right above the Rawlings name. He was my favorite then and is still one of my favorites.

Ottis Anderson, Roy Green, Jim hart and Mel Gary were my favorites back then, but Anderson was number 1. I’m wearing my #32 jersey as I right this.

Just wanted to say, there’s another OA fan out there.

So everyone knows, I’m a fan of about 70 current players on this team and those of the past few years.

Go Cards!

10. By Suspence716 on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Go Acho!!!! That little girl in the video was too cute!!!!

11. By mal on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

This high character team we have in Arizona is not an accident, you know. It was built this way very much on purpose by the coach and front office and ownership.

During the offseason it seems like all the other 31 NFL teams had issues, arrests, big mouths, big egos, etc, etc, etc — every day it was more new drama.

That is, every team except for the Redbirds. Didnt anyone else notice this? What a high-class, high-character, well-run team we have. I think our team has become the gold standard in the whole NFL.

12. By Peter in Canada on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Mal – How right you are. Many times over the last few years, people, (including myself)have called for the club to sign known trouble-makers and egotistical me-first guys in the hope that they would improve the team. Terrell Owens,Ochocinco,Vince Young,Steve Johnson,Braylon Edwards are a few of the names that come to mind.Management declined and the team is the better for it.

13. By Bob-O on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

that’s what happens when a good team faces adversity and rises together to pull through it. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! am I the only one that thinks the Cards are gonna be a running riot? MEAN BIRDS BABY! DARKSIDE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

14. By Scott H on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Good for Sam. Good to see a pro ahtelete truly appreciating his good fortune and giving back to the fans – and being happy to do it. Always thought that if I were a pro athelete, I would be tossing stuff to the people in the seats every chance I got, signing autographs during the game, all that. To me, that would be fun!

15. By Sir60 on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Easy Bob-O, you don’t want to hurt yourself in the pre-season. haha.

Dynosoar – Jackie Smith, Terry Metcalf, Conrad Dobler.

16. By pacardsfan on Aug 3, 2012 | Reply

Just shows that the players are just as loyal to their fans, as we, the fans are to them. I’m from Lancaster, PA, and I’ve been lucky to have flown out a few years ago to see the Cards. at camp, and have been to a few games in DC, and each time, I’ve been blessed to meet several players each time and not once were any of them anything but nice. I guess that’s part of why I stay true to the Cards! See you guys in NY against the JETS!

17. By joe67 on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Mal, I have noticed and pointed it out to many people. I didn’t think anyone else noticed it. Remember, good things come to good people!

18. By CodyZarr on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

OMG that video is the cutest damn thing I’ve seen in weeks. I bet he felt like a million bucks.

19. By CodyZarr on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Mal,

You know what, you’ve got a point. I never really thought about it like that. We do seem to have an ever increasing number of professionals that know how to act like football players.

20. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Well I’m trying this for a third time.

Mel have you ignored the articles online with Haggans drunk driving arrest and jail time? And Talley’s lawsuit for alleged clobbering someone with a champagne bottle? Don’t pretend we have the highest morale standard here. People are people and make mistakes.

21. By cobra on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa:

You are correct on this. Just so you know, people do pay attention.

If I remember right, Haggans problem was in 2011. He dealt with it this year.

Talley, well, we will see.

Just remember, we are are not Judge and Jury, only hope our players use good discression in their personal lives.

As the old saying goes: Check your own backyard, before you check mine.

In other words, as you say: People are people and make mistakes.

Maybe it’s a good time for all of us to remember the GOLDEN RULE!

22. By Eazy E on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

I liked him alot at Texas. Very good player and very religious and extremely smart just like his younger brother. Great find in the 4th and like I said ecstatic that we got him when we drafted him last year.

2. Aug 5, 2012: Little girl thanks Arizona Cardinals linebacker Sam Acho for autograph (video) | Off the Bench