Cards sign a defensive lineman

Posted by Darren Urban on August 4, 2012 – 10:45 am

The Cardinals made a pre-Hall of Fame game move today by signing undrafted rookie defensive end Everrette Thompson, a 6-foot-6, 272-pounder from the University of Washington who took part in the Cards’ rookie minicamp in May on a tryout basis. To clear room, the Cards released undrafted rookie guard Braeden Clayson — not a surprise after the Cards signed guard Rich Orhnberger.

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Cards sign a defensive lineman”

1. By mal on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Whiz and this team are very Bilichickian with their injury updates, which is great, becuz theres no reason to give the other teams info they can use against you (e.g. if someone has hurt ribs, they’ll aim for those ribs).

But this makes it tough on the fans. Like A-dub’s “sore calf.” I’m not normally a hand-wringer, but that sure sounds suspicious. Yeah, calves can cramp, but not normally hold you out of a game. Is that code-talk for some kind of knee injury? Saying it was a calf would give him an excuse to limp. I guess I’m just worried cuz #24 has played the last two seasons with serious injuries and I was really pulling for him to be healthy this year and see what kind of mayhem he could deliver.

Oh course, Darren wouldnt be a rat and spill the beans, even if he did know something. So, Darren, is there any light you can shed on this? Is A-dub listed as being day to day for his return?

2. By mike (AZcatsNcards) on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    Was this signing a huge surprise to you? Is there any reading between the lines (injuries, performance, etc.) with this signing of a D-Lineman? I know we need more pass rushers but didn’t think we needed D-Line guy(s). Last question, how’s the tone, feeling, mood of the players heading to Canton?
    Thanks!

(I’m looking forward to reading your piece on the players before, during, and after the team visit the HOF Museum.)

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Mal –

RE: Wilson

I don’t know for sure, but I’d think if this game counted, Wilson would be playing.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Mike –

RE: move

Moves are made all the time at the bottom of the roster. No big deal.

As for the mood, I mean, I think they are willing to play a game. It’s not like the regular season.

5. By cobra on Aug 4, 2012 | Reply

Mal and others:

It’s almost game time! Lose your metromale b.s. and suck it up. Women included.

It’s time to start kicking ass!

6. By azqfan on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

I was at the wed night scrimmage were AW tweaked his calf. It was definitely a calf as he had it wrapped and iced. Also at the Thurs and Friday scrimmages he was walked fine, and riding the bike for over an hour. I fully believe it is nothing.

7. By azqfan on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

Mal,

I was at the night scrimmage where AW tweaked his calf. I know 1005 it is a calf because before it was even over, he had it wrapped and iced. At the Thurs and Fri practices, he was walking fine, and was on the bike for over an hour. I am 100% confident it is nothing to worry about.

8. By mal on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

@azqfan –
    Great news to hear what you saw! I used to live outside Flag over near the Rez, so I went to every single Cards practice after work, until last year. It’s an adjustment living out of state now, getting info just off this blog. Thanks for the eye-witness update.

@co-Bra
    I dont even know what a metromale is, but I bet I could find out by looking at you.

9. By Brett on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

1 hour and 30 minutes, not that I’m counting or anything.

10. By Rio on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Wiz has sign a medical team from johns Hopkins hospital in maryland to stand by when Kolb plays.