• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Hall of Fame game aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 5, 2012 – 11:19 pm

It is way, way late – going on 2 a.m. local time – and I have to get up much too early to catch a plane to Missouri on our next stop of this magical mystery tour of the preseason. So this aftermath is going to be short and sweet (OK, let’s see if it really is once I finish):

– What do you want me to say? I don’t think it’s a character flaw that Kevin Kolb gets hurt. Does it hurt when he’s not on the field? Of course. Dave McGinnis used to say “Availability is more important than ability” and in many ways, that’s true. If you can’ stay healthy, the rest doesn’t matter. But you’re never going to convince me Kolb is less of a person because he won’t “tough out” an injury. Especially in a freaking preseason game. The first one, in fact. I would give tonight to John Skelton, obviously. But this isn’t over, no matter how much everyone wants it to be. We’ll see how Kolb reacts this week. Only a couple days of practice before the Chiefs game.

– It was an early bell to play a game, and I asked Ken Whisenhunt if it was fair to say he expected some of the sloppiness. “That would be the right answer for me to say,” Whisenhunt said, before acknowledging, “I would hope we would have been better.”

– The missed tackles weren’t good, but out of everything NFL teams work on, I always wonder how you can really work on that. Sure you can talk about being in better position, but ultimately, you can never have a full-on tackling practice. That’s reality and maybe the best reason to have five preseason games.

– Dave Zastudil had a great day punting in his home state, including a Hall of Fame game record 79-yarder. Michael Adams showed why he’s so great on special teams with the way he saved the ball from going in the end zone.

– Rookie Justin Bethel will be a killer on special teams with that speed and ability. Blocked a punt, had a great tackle as a gunner. I think he makes the roster on that alone.

– Michael Floyd gets his first catch, a 15-yarder. “It felt good to get the nerves out of me, to get those jitters out. Now I can just go play ball.”

– Every time I see Alfonso Smith run the ball, he shows something. I don’t know if he’d ever be a feature back, but as a fourth back, the Cards have something.

– That goes double for LaRod Stephens-Howling, whom I really would like to see touch the ball more on offense for the same reason – he just seems to make people miss.

– Linebacker Stewart Bradley had a rough year last year, but he made a couple of plays tonight with a sack and a pass defensed. He said he is so much more comfortable. Having him as a workable piece of the defense would make a difference.

– Seriously, though, Stew — that sack dance?

– Whisenhunt said he thought the offensive line played better after they “settled down,” which apparently was after Kolb was knocked out of the game.

– Rookie right tackle Bobby Massie seemed to have a rough night, and Whiz concurred with the assessment: “He looked like he was a young tackle who struggled a little bit. He was beat on up and under (moves) a couple times.” Whiz said they are working on Massie’s set-up so he’s not as mechanical, but that’s something that was going to take longer than a couple weeks of padded practice.

– Whisenhunt talked about dealing with some of the young guys, especially at the end when rookie QB Ryan Lindley drove the Cards in a spot to possibly tie the game (first-and-goal) only to have two incompletions and a Lindley pick end the hope.

“At the end of the game we had the whole team come over on the time out,” Whisenhunt said. “I was like, ‘This is like a college team. (Quarterbacks coach John) McNulty said, ‘About six of those guys are college guys.’ You have to understand what you are working with.”

– Ah youth. While Lindley was conducting the drive, Larry Fitzgerald was making lots of fans happy signing autographs. That’s the preseason for you, and the dichotomy between the young and veteran with the reality of an extra preseason game. “Guys like Lyle (Sendlein) and Levi (Brown) and guys that have been here a while, it’s probably their worst nightmare,” Lindley said. “But for us, it’s a blessing, for the rookies, the younger guys, all the guys fighting to make the 53.”

There. Done in 15 minutes. Goodnight.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

83 Responses to “Hall of Fame game aftermath”

1. By Soares20 on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren for staying up late and sacrificing sleep to give us some analysis we all appreciate it!
    -How do you think LaRon Byrd looked? I thought he played the best out of the rookie WR, a few missed catches but overall really really good.

2. By Soares20 on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

Also Loved that sack dance it looked like the Carlton dance! (Fresh Prince of Bel Air)

3. By mstrwayne on Aug 5, 2012 | Reply

Highlight of the game – Bradley Sack Dance, I loved it.

Kolb – The Int. dosent worry me much, losing sight of someone on coverage can happen. Im sure he was very nervous with all the expectations on his shoulders. I am very concerened about watching his pocket presence. I did not see an improvement from last year. I think he bailed from the pocket to soon. He did get off to a very low start.

Skelton- had much better pocket pressence, I liked how he stepped up in the pocket to elude pressure. I felt like he got off to a faster start in this game than he had in last years games.

Fitz – What a class act that man is, signing all the autographs.

Lindley looked promissing.

4. By mike hadzinski on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Your Giving Larry a Break

I Was @ That Gm Rockin the OLD WHITE 81 jersey and those fans are CARDS PLAYERS FAMILY LARRY SIGNED AUTOS FOR 5 Min then he dipped. OH ya I Want 2 Say Hi to Rob Housler Grandpa Rich LARRY RAN PAST THE REAL FANS

5. By T-Mac on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Come on Darren, certainly you recognize “the Carlton” (i.e. – Bradley’s dance).

6. By truths4all on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Lindley looked great on his short passes, good on his medium passes (most were too high), missed everyone of his long passes except for the med-long slant he made to Skelton when he took some speed off of his pass.

7. By bluepitt on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Ok Darren, Ill give you that (its preseason). But man it really looks like Kolb cant be mentaly tough! If my job was on the line I would have had to spit up blood and half my lung before I was “forced” off the field! It is looking more and more like we (WHIZ) made a multi millionare out of a person that doesnt even really want to play. Yes I know im not their but man, it is every time this guy goes out he is playing scared! Not like Jerry Rice scared, like Pop Warner VS a Highschool team scared..Does our line suck…Sure, but at what point does he even try and earn even a 10th his pay?

Preseason, Smeeseason The Dude is in a battle for his starting spot!!!!!
    Or maby that is just it, maby he wants to collect a check and hold a clipbord?
    But by acting like he wants it for the first couple years, knowing with that big contract It will pay off huge before people find out “he is not who we (WHIZ) thought he was”?

Yes I know Im being a jerk, but I am not one who buys in th the whole life after Football crap, you get millions uppon millions to play a sport you knew could literally “kill you” on the field or years after…. That is why the pay off is huge as well as the price, and it is a price known full & well going in to it! I can probably find you 1,000 people in this
    crappy econ, who would jump off a bridge for 20% of that pay, to set up their family’s….. SO IN SHORT MAN UP KOLB!!!!!!!!!
    That is the end if my rant…..happy 2012-13 Season……

8. By John C on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

It doesn’t matter if he is injured, when Kolb plays he looks exactly as bad as he did last year. What happened to learning the offense in the off-season was going to make this guy so different???? So glad they were so concerned about this guys bonus back in March, great move. Yet again we are the lowly Cardinals on national TV.

9. By Evan on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Whiz: McNabb is rested and ready in Chandler. Send a playbook over. Earlier the better. Just saying…

10. By JT on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know how it’s possible but with every year my respect for Fitz grows. Watching him endlessly signing away for the sea of happy fans kinda touches the heart. Especially when you have many (mainly baseball players) that won’t touch anything unless they are at a paid promotion were they are obligated to do so. I feel so much pride in having Fitz on the team as well as bad for him at the same time. He’s paid a kings-ransom to play here but he could have it all with a better team. If Fitz played in say NY he could easily be one of the most loved and powerful Sports figures this side of Tebow. Go Cards!!

11. By dan on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, why does Kolb always run to the right when he gets pressure? The one thing with Skelton is he is willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit. Hate to say this but I’ve already seen enough of Kolb to know this dude is not cut out for football. What a complete waste of money on a QB…..AGAIN. Whiz dropped the ball big time. I expected a lot more from Kolb and its not looking good. What a horrible investment. Any way the Cards can salvage some of the money?

12. By Matthew on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

besides the injury i am very veryn unimpressed by what Kolb did 1-4 4 yards and on his first throw and interception, man looks like another wasted year

13. By Hammy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Lets be honest people. Its their first PRESEASON game! A lot of mistakes are gonna happen and yes Kolb looked like……… well Kolb. He always gets hurt and showed once again that he cannot step up in the pocket and throw the ball accurately to a cards reciever. Skelton has proved time again that he is the better quarterback for our system. Skelton will be starter and will drive this team down field like he showed lastnight. Stewart Bradley was awesome and I might have just seen the best play celebration of all time lol overall I liked what I saw from both sides of the ball. Defense was FAST just could not tackle.

14. By Red cards on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe wiz is already makeing excuses for kolb it’s amazing that when Skelton plays the everyone’s better first was the d and now it’s the o line . What I seen was the kolb had happy feet and was the 60 mill chicken. O by the way I really like the way kolb wouldn’t even acknowledge Skelton when he tried to slap hands what a bad attitude . Look I was trying to not be biased kolb gave me nothing to be excited about

15. By hummer53 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Boy it’s a good thing I didn’t write this at halftime. I was livid and have settled down somewhat. Did this team practice tackling the last two weeks? I lost count in the high double digits for the defense and special teams missed tackles. Just unacceptable. I think this falls on the coaching staff. I’m not talking about the backups in the 2nd half. They were actually better. I’m talking about the first team. Yes I know, pre-season but this team has a habit of not looking much better the first few real games as they do in pre-season. Tell me again, what does R. Johnson bring to the table? And what’s up with our ex-Steelers? W. Gay looks to be like McFadden Part II. These guys better get it right. Their winnable games are early in the season at home. They dig a hole again and they won’t repeat what they did last year. Very disappointed in the sloppiness of the defense and special teams.

16. By Ezz on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

There were bad things naturally but there were also some very nice surprises in this game. Particularly Bethel, Bradley, Housler, Alfonso and Byrd. Lyndley too to an extent, he did more than i was expecting him to and some of his throws were really good. Naturally he’s nowhere near NFL ready but i’m a bit more confident in him as a 3rd QB than i previously was. Some of that was Bartel not having a very good showing in my opinion too, his arm just looks like it’s not where it needs to be on some throws. Anyway, first preseason game so it doesn’t mean much, but it’s nice to see unexpected guys stand out.

17. By CodyZarr on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I thought that sack dance was excellent. If that doesn’t get him a spot on DWtS I don’t know what will! =P

18. By wonderingwhy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

We should have given the 7 million to Skelton and let Kolb go.

19. By David on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Putting the injury aside, Skelton looked more confident out there, and he was certainly more effective.

20. By johnwimmer on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m not worried. John Skelton looked better that I remember him being from last year. With barely any starters playing, this was not that bad.

21. By Jeff Pabst on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

Do you know the schedule for practice with the Chiefs? I am a lifelong Cardinal fan from Missouri and I am going to try to make it to the practice in St. Joseph, MO. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

22. By frustrated on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Thank you for the wrap. I am glad you and Cardinal football are back with us.

23. By Andy Kw on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

After what I saw yesterday, I am really afraid for the Cards defense. They were crushed by Drew Brees passing game and their run game. Kevin Kolb on his first drive threw an interception. Even Lindley was more impressive than him. Rob Housler showed flashes of greatness getting passes from Lindley and Bartel. This is what I would rate yesterdays QBs. () means that they won the QB battles. Bartel over Lindley and Skelton over Kolb.
    1.) John Skelton (1-0)
    2.) Rich Bartel (1-0)
    3.) Ryan Lindley (0-1)
    4.) Kevin Kolb (0-1)

24. By Andy Kw on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Lindley did have better stats than Bartel but Lindley had more snaps.

25. By Maunka Morgan on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Greetings Cardinals Nation:

It was exciting to see our team on the field the again. What was of concern to me was how easy the Saints drove down and scored on our starting defense. I was thinking we would put up more of a fight in spite of a vanilla scheme.

I did notice we have depth and hungry players on defense. I can see Bradley will be a nice addition to the linebacker core. It was good for me to see the Husker Nation being represented well.

I liked the arm of Lindley and our rookie miami receiver. Nice catch for Skelton’s brother too.

LaRod needs to play a role like the Saints Darrin Sproles.

Housler needs to stop dropping balls and by the way there were several dropped balls. If Lindley could get it in the numbers then watch out.

Bartel was not impressive.

On Kolb, I guess I would have been ribs hurt too if someone that big landed on me! However, what was up with that pick man? From where I sit, I can see some fire in Kolbs eyes along with many other players.

I guess, I like to see the fire in the heart and passion to play and win. It was more evident in many players last night. Let’s keep that going!

Go Cards!

Maunka Morgan

26. By Rob R on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

If Skelton beats out Kolb, do you foresee Kolb staying on the roster by game 1?

27. By Marcelof on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I simply CAN’T feel confortable seeing Kolb holding the ball… that poor throw during HOF’s game made all my nightmares brighter!

Kolb has shown over the years he’s not only unlucky but also fragile, how can a franchise breed a long-term QB when no one knows how long he’s going to stay healthy. Even healthy he hasn’t shown he’s worth the time and money spent on him. Not saying Skelton is the guy, but KK certanly isn’t.

I try to support Kolb but he insists to make me think the other way around.

28. By kkfan on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Maybe there is some truth to the rumor ( I read on the MB ) that the players supposedly prefer Skelton over Kolb. I just find it strange that Kolb is sustaining all these injuries since comming to this team. Yet only suffered one concussion in the 4 yrs he was with the Eagles . And never any kind of injuries during his collage career. Where he was a 4 yr starter. Yet here he has had a concussion, a foot injury, a thigh bruise and now a chest injury.Unbelievable!

29. By Eric Y on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Again, maybe it just is what it is with Kolb. I know this is crazy but assuming poor play continues though the opre-season, is there a scenario where the cardinals actually cut him? Is there ANY financial compensation?

30. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Good bring down. Commentator on nfl network had key comment: “notice how Kolb gets hurt when he’s running out of the pocket.. he’s not fast enuff to elude, if he dumps the ball, or steps up in pocket like Skelton, he avoids those hits” or to that affect… solid comments…no? Love Kolb, but hard to argue …

31. By Eric Y on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

… and not to stir it up, but did anyone else notice the weird exchange when Skelton went in and went to give Kolb a handshake/high five and Kolb put his head down instead? Just an observation.

32. By iammattyoung on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

- I maintain that the idea that a QB competition will ultimately solve the QB issue is a flawed one. It doesn’t matter which guy plays better than the other, it matters that whichever puts the helmet on in Week 1 had the reps to work on being as good as the opponent. Right now, neither guy is getting that, and it shows.

- Man, what a microcosm of last season last night. Kolb sputters (albeit in limited opportunities), and then gets knocked out of the game. Skelton comes in, doesn’t blow anyone away, but he makes the right plays and leads the TD drive. Skelton may not be Tom Brady, but the team certainly thrives when he’s in there. With Beanie/R-Dub/Hyphen in the backfield, and the receiving weapons available, all Skelton needs to do is throw fewer interceptions, and this offense can churn a little (hence, give him more reps!).

- I love that Stewart Bradley got some last night. If a guy at his size and speed could plug into that offense this year, teams are going to have a heck of a time with our linebackers. Seriously, what was that dance?! The only way he lives that down is if does that dance EVERY time he gets a sack this year and makes it into a big joke. Unbelievable.

- I agree. Hyphen makes plays. Let him make plays.

33. By Tim on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see Kolb get blown up again in the first quarter. Kolb hasn’t played more then 9 games in a full season! All the trades that went on for him was basically for nothing! Cut Kolb and let Skeleton start the rest of the season. I still see the cards having a losing season!

34. By Doug Woiwod on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

OK, When is management going to realize this experiment with Kolb, is all wrong, and move on, quit tryin to make the guy something he is not and that is a starting QB. Jesus, bit the bullet, and admit it has been a mistake.

35. By harold on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

darren: any joint practices/scrimmages in KC that are open to the public?

36. By brad oneill on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

great wrap up, Darren you should work late nights all the time. :)

37. By azfiremagoo on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Well there is the ever-present elephant in the room QB argument. Not gonna lie I expected slightly better fro Kolb but we have to reserve judgment. liked Skelton more than I thought. To me if he can progress at reading the defense pre-snap and increse his accuracy he wins out. Kolb just cant match his size, stature in the pocket and arm. Impressed by Lindley. Dropped quickly and decisive. And I LOVED stews dance! Kinda Jim Carreyesk! 10.0!

38. By al bush on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I like whiz as a man and a coach, but there are 2 glaring issues that he has to first admit , then take some action. First is ,evaluating qb’s, injury prone kolb looked exactly like he did last yr, no confidence, below average nfl arm and accuracy. he reminds me of derrick anderson.Do we have to start the season 0 and 4 then do something.the $ is gone do something now. By the way the guy lindley looked better than kolb.

the 2 nd issue is the offensive line Russ grimm hasn,t done the job someone needs to sayit, now maybe whiz believes hhe has done a good job but way down deep he knows that is not true friend or no friend, if they were not friends do we all believe he would be here.Pls whiz start skelton, he is the best we have, and do something with the offensive line

39. By mike hadzinski on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

why can’t you post my thread or should i call you again like i did few years back

40. By drstiegler on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Kolb will just stay injured and the ‘decision’ will be made for Coach Whiz. That way it won’t be his fault that KK never panned out. I am so unimpressed by his play. He had chances to step up in the pocket against the rush and hang in there but he just doesn’t have that feel or whatever it is that Skelton does have. Maybe it is b/c of his short stature but with an offseason under his belt he doesn’t look any better while Skelton continues to move the ball and score. I think he is going to be the guy and that actually excites me b/c with experience he will only get better and the guy has moxy and a never say die attitude that will give us a chance whenever we are down in the 4th qtr. Our special teams is going to be special and our Defense is going to keep us in games so let’s pray that this offense can get it together and rally around Skelton. Go Big Red!!

41. By watson tom on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I would like to comment on your assessment of injures, and playing through them. I think it was last year preseason against packers that Skelton received a high ankle spring, came off the field taped it up and finished off the half. That was a freaking preseason game. Just one fans opinion. Thanks for staying up late and reporting to us the aftermath. Just win baby.

42. By Blair on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Mike adams showed why he is valued on special teams and also why he is so suspect in coverage. The rookie saftey that blocked the fg will hopefully replace him on special teams so they can finalky cut him

43. By BIG RED on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Did you just hear that Kolb has been cut!!!!! Wow! wouldn’t that be great. Com’on coach just do it! You know you would love that. Stick with the QB’s that you drafted, what’s the point of drafting them and then letting em go. Bartel would be your 3rd QB. It’s Skelton’s time.

44. By Kevin S on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren. Re: the most obvious question facing the team, I agree 100% with your comments on Kolb. Obviously, we give today to Skelton. If things keep going like this, the job SHOULD be his. But you can’t write off Kolb because of the results of one preseason game. It is more concerning, though, that the reason for his exit was an injury. If he had just gone 2-for-10 before getting pulled in favor of Skelton, then I think you just move on and acknowledge Skelton had the better game, and the competition continues. But between the concussion in AZ, the turf toe, leaving this game after a hard hit, and the fact that he lost the job in Philly by getting hurt in the first game of his first season as the named starter, those who argue that Kolb is fragile have an increasingly valid point. (And I’m not questioning Kolb’s toughness in any way — it is simply a fact that some players are more injury prone than others.) And the problem with that fragility is that even if he is a better quarterback — and I believe he is — the team might be better off just playing Skelton if it is likely that Kolb is going to go down in the first month or so anyway — and whether fair or not, this is an assessment that many people are going to have.

45. By nodavis2000 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Man oh man oh man, it sure was GOOD to see the Cards play again!
    I liked how Skelton played. Nothing against Kolb, but I just think John has more potential and upside. When he was in there, the line might have calmed down, but overall, I liked what we did on 1st team offense. We didn’t have our stud RBs, but the ground attack looked impressive.
    I thought our D played great too. We didn’t have two of our defensive captains out there, Wilson and Dockett. Besides that though, I liked what I saw. It seems like the D picked up were it left off. The only criticism I’d have is that our tackling looked atrocious. Need to improve on that. = )

I don’t like how everyone on NFL Network is saying the Saints look just as good as last year. Praising Brees with an “impressive” performance. Honestly, I wasn’t that impressed. He threw 1 completion more than ten yards, the only throw with 1
    + yards, and everything else were dump offs or screens. Interesting how EVERYONE on the NFL Network doesn’t say anything like that. I think the Saints first drive were due more to the Saints RBs and our bad tackling.

Anyways, thanks Darren for the awesome coverage you’ve provided ALL off-season, training camp, and right now during preseason!!!

46. By truejemini on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Just for the record, Stew’s dance was hilarious. Thats what this team was missing last year. haha

47. By theuglitruth on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

If this was flag football…Kolb would make a great starter.

48. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Soares20 –

RE: Byrd

I thought he looked OK. Drop on the last drive hurt.

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Jeff –

RE: Chiefs practice

Do not have that info. Sorry, but I would call the Chiefs. It’ll be up to them.

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Rob R –

RE: Kolb as backup

They already have paid him his bonus, and they’ll need a backup. He’ll be here for this season, even if he doesn’t start.

51. By Darren on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Disclaimer…Fitz is my favorite player.
    Kolb looked bad, and I agree I would have been begging coach to let me play more, IF I wanted the starting job. I was always a Kolb supporter until last night. Unfortunately, he looks to be a bad hire. Hey it happens. Bosses and owners make the wrong hire many times and then try to make the square peg fit the round hole…It just so happens the Cards do it with QB’s.
    But all the blame is not on Whiz and Graves. Fitz really wanted Kolb and pushed hard for the trade and signing. So let’s move on. No need to bash anyone or go overboard on who is to blame.
    Skelton looked good. But whew our defense (our strength?) did not. I hope and expect to see lots of improvement.

52. By clssylssy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Wow…guess I’m the only one who wasn’t surprised by the Saints’ performance and thought it was a decent exercise. There is a reason Brees is making $100M, kinda like Fitz, he is an elite, perfectionist who is able to focus and make people around him rise to his level of play. Chas Daniels has played behind him and is better than most starters on other teams. Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram, Jimmy Graham, Lofton,Thomas…those guys are no slouches but we have guys on the Cards who parallel them. By and large the HOF Game was like watching rookies try out and some of our rookies made impressive efforts.. Bethel stood out, Lindley did OK and nobody had a serious injury. Seemed like a very good “hands on” learning experience. I am wondering about our defense and how they are suppose to get experience if they aren’t allowed too really tackle in practice, merely “tag”? This is the NFL isn’t it? As a matter of fact, learning the “correct” way to tackle and not hurt anybody would seem like it should be a priority,,,would really like somebody to explain how that is suppose to work, the “old school” smashmouth style defense will now get a player suspended or fined into the next century so how do we get that top 5 defense I keep hearing we are suppose to have this year. I have felt all along that Kolb wasn’t healthy enough and that’s huge. The commentators were impressed with Skelton so why is everybody still making excuses for Kolb? That wasn’t even a hard hit by Ellis that took him out and the rude sportsmanship he demonstrated towards his teammate speaks volumes about his leadership skills. Hope we learned something from the Saints and will be able to apply that experience in beating the Chiefs. GO CARDS! PLAY TOUGH!

53. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Surprised that Kolb struggled?

Still wondering in Skelton is the man?

I guess drafting a QB early wasn’t such a bad idea. hmmm.

Even without having any idea whether Tannehill will succeed or not, my believe was the 7th slot would have traded.

How much more relaxed would you feel if Skelton started and Tannehill was sitting in the wings? Oh well, I start now, check out the kid from Arkansas; Tyler Wilson. Trade up and get him next year.

As for the game, I loved that Bethal. Money Mike might have found his replacement.

Toler gives way too much of a cushion

Bradley wants to start.

Elder wants to make this team.Guys that hit like that in the open field can be terrors on Special Teams.

Lindley is much better than Bartel.

Bobbie Massie and Nate Potter have work to do to get on the field in a real game.

Ronald Talley played a lot and I thought well. David Carter is a budding star. I like Williams too.

I want Housler to be a star but he does drop passes.Big preseason for him.
    I also see what people see in Laron Byrd. Big and can go get the ball. A couple of drops but worth waiting for.

54. By BIG RED on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S I really think you got blind-sided by the same defensive line-man that hit Kevin Kolb. In Philly, last year and now on the very first pre-season game getting hurt, com’on man wake up. Injures in the NFL do not go well, the guy is just fragile, face it. He should go and try out in the area football and practice on his fundamentals. I honestly wish him, well. Like Sonny said in a movie……” waste of talent”.

55. By SSG Tim Roberts on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Ok, both sides of the ball need some work. I wont make excuses for Kolb, but to be fair, the offense didn’t start to “click” until they calmed down a bit. But what impressed me with the “Big O” is that they didn’t quit. Even when they were down. Both the offense and defense leaned on each other to get the job done. Thats what was impressive to me. The defense and their tackleing was embaressing!! They were over pursueing and doing cruddy tackleing. They had moments that shine and other thats just flat out stunk. But they DID GET TO BREES ON THE FIRST PLAY FROM SCRIMMAGE!!!!! Keep that in mind folks!! They had some good picks just didn’t get them in for SIX. I did like the passion and pressure they were putting on the QB though. They were FLYING TO THE BALL folks!!!!!!!! They made some mental errors, but with the next few pre-season games they look to be able to iron those out. But the tackleing was terrible….

I did like Kolb and think maybe he is carrying alot on his shoulders and that may have played into his game for the night. The plays were there, just not on a consistant basis for a real idea of how good he can be. I feel for the guy, I really do. Bartel wasn’t AS effective as I would have liked. But again, the “O line” was made up of rookies and walk ons and what not so the nerves were there also. Fighting for a job never was easy, can’t imagine it was for them last night either. Again mental errors. There’s so much that I liked and so much thats needs work. But the idea of the extra game was a good one and gives us an idea as to whats in store for both sides of the ball. Floyd was looking good as was Housler and I liked Skelton also. Both of the brothers were effective (Tight ends were very effective when used and the ball wasn’t over thrown!) We fix those mental errors and get this train running and we are gonna be pretty darn good.

56. By dan on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I wanted Kolb to be the starter but he clearly is not. Yes, I know it was only 1 quarter of play but thats all I needed to see. Skelton gives us the best chance to win, Kolb can come in if Skelton gets hurt. I think Skelton needs the majority of the reps and it should be his position to lose at this point, not the other way around. Jhiz should at least name Skelton the starter now just to see how he reacts to the next 4 preseason games.

57. By joe67 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Come on guys. Nobody expected much last nite, and well, thats what we got.
    Lots of work to do, but plenty of time to do it.

We’re gonna be fine. One pre-season game in. Not time to fire the starting qb and the coach. Geeezz.

58. By BIG RED on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

The person I really feel sorry now is Derek Anderson at least he would get up from all those hits and keep trying. This KK is just not for this league, sure he might have a good pre-season game in the future, but would he last a whole season. I don’t think so. He might even get hurt while sitting in the bench playing behind our first team QB.

59. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Interesting that Kolb defenders say he has a lot on his shoulders.

From what I see, Brees was given a 100 million dollar deal, Lost his head coach and play caller, and is still expected to carry this team to 12-13 wins and throw for 5400 yards or better in a very good division.

Now, That is weight on your shoulders. How did Brees look?

60. By card62 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Good comments Darren and to all and it sure is great to have football back

CC looked good for his brief appearance, nice to see Stewart Bradley have a good game, and our punter who I was not a fan of last year had an excellent game.

First preseason game so I will not get too excited, but if we play like this against New England the second game of the season we will be embarassed.
    I would like to know from most of you why you are not being harder on our offensive line play? What did you see from our OL that you liked?

LSH run should have been a 2 yard loss, but Will Smith did not wrap up so LSH has a first down on his efforts alone. next series Levi Brown is holding in the endzone so we should have given up a safety but replacement ref miss the call, then Kolb gets crushed, and other qbs took hits all day.

Another year same problems, I hope I am wrong but my great fear is that this year will be like the last two seasons very poor QB play & OL play and no playoffs.

Go Cards

61. By D-Dubya on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

First off I would like to thank you for your late night wrap-up. You are an awesome writer. Now comes the bad stuff though.

You can no longer say it was just a pre-season game. Kolb, Whiz, and the whole front office could say that last season, primarily because of lack of off-season work, learning curve, various player injuries, etc. But regardless of what transpired last season, when he was healthy he got all starting reps, so he should at least have the offensive scheme under his belt. The other stuff like pocket presence, decision making and leadership, are things you can’t really teach at this level. Either you have it or you don’t. This is Kolb’s 5th season in the league and he has less wins than Skelton who is in his 3rd season. Whiz honestly needs to stop with this whole open QB competition every season. In the 7 seasons he’s had just 1 where he had named a starter from the get go. When you do this constantly, you are taking much needed experience away from the entire team. Skelton should definitely be the starter, regardless of last night. Stick by him, give him the opportunity to develop as a true starter for entire pre-season and regular season. Kolb has had his chance with 2 different teams now and it’s not Skelton’s fault or problem that Kolb can’t stay healthy. I have felt this way since the trade for Kolb was just a probability. Darren you can look at previous posts if you want reference.

As far as the rest of the team goes….

Defense did not impress early. It has been proven in past years that just because you’re a former Steeler doesn’t mean that you make a difference here ( ie. Porter, McFadden, Faneca). Gay should not make the team. I saw way too many missed tackles by the “1st” team Defense. That being said…. I saw a lot of positives on the defense too. Campbell was awesome, Bradley was always around the ball 6 tkl, 1 sack, 1 pass break-up.

Last but not least…. The OL from the LG to the RT were on their game. Levi Brown however needs to be let go after the season. Massie still needs work, so we’ll see. But we need an upgrade at LT for certain. Although it wasn’t Brown’s fault that Kolb got hurt, he just holds way to much

62. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

card62 –

RE: OL

Never said I liked a lot about the offensive line. In general, it didn’t look good, but I will admit, I wasn’t focusing on them much and blanket insults when I haven’t been paying attention doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

63. By Corgon on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I really like A. Smith. The guy has something in him.

Housler had good moments. Had a big block the far as I see at the TD.

Floyd’s catch was cool. Good move.

Obviously Skelton has a better pocket presence as KK. Kevin looked like again as he run for his life! Very last chance for him.

Fitz was scary. He came in, it was more than obvious who will get the ball, but he made that cath and the 1st down as well. It was pretty confident. Fitz is Fitz, but well done Johnny.

Besides Kolb I’m really concerning about our CBs. It looks we have a nice depth. Veterans and promissing youngsters….but that mid rated 2nd QB burned our D. 200 yrds? Really? I hope this was the first and last time when they played like this. Whitout the last year’s D we’re in trouble.

64. By Scott H on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Evan -

RE: McNabb

If you were being sarcastic, OK. Ha-ha. If you were being serious, then I can only wonder what the hell are you thinking??? There are 32 teams out there, many of them need help at the QB position, and McNabb is sitting at home. What is it about this that you are not getting?

Regarding the game…

Was very impressed with Zastudil, Alfonso Smith, and Stewart Bradley. Bradley looked like a HELLUVA player with Philly before he was de-railed by injuries. Last night, I was seeing that player again. If he is truly back to being healthy, this man is gonna be making plays all over the field this year. And, BTW, I kinda liked the sack dance.

Was NOT happy with the play of the defense. Yeah, I know, doesn’t matter right now. But I don’t even know who that Saints 2nd string QB is and he looked pretty damn good against our D last night. Ditto for our coverage units on special teams.

And, now, the QB position. And I just don’t see where Kolb is giving us a reason to believe right now. Never mind his ability. That isn’t even something we have to worry about if the man can’t keep himself on the field for more than a few series. And it was so apparent last night – EVEN ON FOUR LOUSY PASS ATTEMPTS – that kolb is his own worst enemy with his tendency to run out of the pocket and hold onto the ball TOO DAMN LONG. Someone needs to tell this man that he doesn’t have to find an open receiver on every play. HE WILL NOT LAST LONG IF HE KEEPS PLAYING THIS WAY. My evidence? The last two seasons. It’s not an opinion. It’s right there for anyone to see.

Why is it that Skelton – playing behind the same offensive line – doesn’t have this issue? With only last night as a measuring stick, it would appear we still have cause for concern in regard to the O-line. But I really have to wonder – could it be that Kolb is actually making the line look worse because of his afore-mentioned tendencies??? Anyone who watched the game saw it – when Skelton came into the game, this offense settled down and started to move the ball. The guy has a confidence and a swagger that Kolb does not. I think you’re fooling yourself if you don’t think other players aren’t starting to see this, too.

Finally, what is it with our QB’s not seeing Rob Housler when he is wide open for big plays??? Is this guy wearing a cloaking device, or what??? Assuming that he is not truly invisible, he appears to have tremendous potential. But we’ll never see it unless this team stops avoiding the TE like a damn plague. The announcers calling the game compared him to Hernandez in New England, and that’s great. Trouble is, in New England, they actually utilize the TE position in the passing game. Here??? Good luck. We can only hope this MIGHT be the year this may change.

Not really worried about the defense, I know that will come around. Special teams could be among the best in the league if the coverage units are solid. And while the O-line remains a concern, I am excited about the skill players at every position. That just leaves the QB…if we can just get solid and consistent play there from SOMEONE ( and I think it it’s gonna have to be Skelton by necessity ), this team could be a real pleasant surprise.

SOOOOO great to see a game last night and to be talkin’ about it today!

65. By KDubAdub1324 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

The offense has to get going regardless of who is at QB. Skelton didn’t look bad, but Kolb sure did, injury aside. I’ve taken a wait-and-see approach with Kolb and have been positive, but he’s starting to shake my confidence in him. Meanwhile, my confidence in Skelton is growing. I’m not going to read too much into either one of their performances just yet at this point. There’s still plenty of time left before the regular season for anything to happen. However, if Kolb lays another egg in his next game or gets knocked out of it, and Skelton plays solid, I think this thing will swing into Skelton’s favor. I think Kolb can be a solid QB, but it will be sad to see if he can’t reach his potential due to injury. I’ve grown to feel more comfortable with Skelton on the field at this point because of his durability. And I’d rather work on fixing some of Skelton’s mechanical flaws than Kolb’s mental psyche in the pocket. Plus, Skelton will get better through experience. But if Skelton wins this thing, I hope its through his performance and not by default because of a Kolb injury. Kolb’s been in the league a while now and his clock is ticking. Regardless, both have pros and cons and I just hope either one can be good enough for the Cards to have a solid season. GO CARDS!!

66. By CORMAC b on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

QUOTE “But you’re never going to convince me Kolb is less of a person because he won’t ‘tough out’ an injury”

Seriously? Every coach I ever had in football said exactly the opposite thing. Coversation in an old football game of mine ME> ” Coach, I think I cracked my ribs.” Coach looks worried, touches my ribs that hurt me even more, pauses and then says ” Do you still think you can play?”
    I paused in debelief, and replied…” yes….” (and thats highschool)

“This is not tennis or golf, its football…. I shouldnt have to say anything else to ANYONE who has ever played in highschool or college football. Only a few sports are “MAN” sports. MMA, RUGBY, WRESTLING and FOOTBALL. Yes there are a few more dont get me wrong. BUT this is the division in which football lays. A PURELY MANLY SPORT. So to not tought it out… What the heck?????

Honestly, its about SKILL and WILL. HE has no WILL. Its like the little bird , who gets caught and then wills itself to death. IT just doesnt have the will to live. PUT IN A WOLF or a LION. THEY will not will themselves dead, they just want to RIP YOUR HEAD OFF when you open the cage.

Ya Skelton kinda sucks, but so does KOLB. If I had to cross the USA in my truck and had to pick between a PAIR of SKELTON BFG or a pair of KOLB dicount tire specials, I am going to pick the multiply tire, just because its tougher and I am bound to get more life out of it. Skelton may get hurt, but I bet the down time is way less than KOLBS. Skelton is just a giant of a man and more durable. PLUS.. doesnt he have a great attitude or is it just me? Everytime I see KOLBS eyes, its like he knows his time is up and is just not a happy person. I would LOVE to see KOLB prove us ALL wrong, I really would. I have liked him , and still do, but dammit, I LIKE THE CARDS much better than KOLB and dont want to mess around with this anymore. INVEST the time into SKELTON, you get more bang for the buck…….

67. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Cormac -

RE: skill and will

You do understand that this is 2012, and thousands of ex-players have sued the NFL for concussions, and that the game isn’t what it was 20 years ago? You may be right, but let me ask you, was your coach right? As a father, if you had a son, you’d be OK if a coach sent him back in with broken ribs?

68. By jmh1982 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Cormac

This was a preseason game and there is no reason to send a guy back out there in a meaningless game. Who knows if he would have gone back out there had this been a regular season game.

69. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Cormac,

I coached football in Port Arthur Texas in the 90′s. (outside Houston) Believe me, Football is a religion in that area. Fridays, towns shut down at noon. The HS had season tickets and every business shown their colors outside their windows.
    My point is winning and losing was very important and Football was king.

With that being said, if a coach thought a player had broken ribs, they would be an idiot to send them back in.Dislocated fingers and such that can be taped up is one story, but serious injuries would take a very bad coach to send that player back in.

We didnt know about concussions back then and made mistakes in that area, but never would I risk a players health seriously to win.

Again, if the only thing Kolb did was not return in preseason because of a rib injury, It would be a joke to call him out. But the fact that he really never matured last year and made such a bad read his first pass (it looked like his mind was made up before he broke the huddle), not to mention his poor pocket presence, its time to move on past Kolb

70. By C on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I saw Skelton go out of his way to give Kolb a high five, or some sort of reassurance on his way into the game… I saw Kolb walk past him with the trainers like Skelton was invisible. I don’t care if you’re hurt, you acknowledge your Skelton’s attempt at being a good teammate.

I have seen all I need to see from Kolb. I know they will not cut him, but his attitude sucks. Andy Reid sure did sell us a bogus bill of goods.

71. By bluepitt on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    RE Skill and Will”
    You are right as a father… that is where the buck stops.. When you get $ for your skill it does happen to be as simple as skill and will…
    I think the thousand’s of ex players need to shut up!!!! They chose to play as grown men!!! And no this is not like asbestos and workers sue for cancer,,, These players knew they could and probably would have problems after the game. But stayed and played with their hands out on pay day! They could have quit at any time.
    I only think the under payed league min. players need to be reped by the NFLPA. they dont get paid much and do deserve medical and bennies after the game, like Michael Adams and players like that. I DO NOT THINK players like FITZ, WARNER, A-DUB, DOCKKET ETC. deserve the bennies or help after the game. Just my opinion, but if you cant make smart choices with the tens of millions you made then that is your problem…. Just saying
    And thank you for all your work Darren, I know Im a jerk some times but you are a tresure to all cards fans!!!

72. By vegas4u2012. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

- I’ts incredible how much you naysayers have to say about(especially for veterans) a meaningless game.A REAL FAN.(az.or not) should just be happy to have football back.If kk.+ the rest of the team has a really good game next week,alot of you will just go back into your cave(some/w just negative input)& shutup for awhile,until something bad happens again.Also,if big john wins the starting roll,we have enough talent on the team to have a great season & prove the critics wrong/again,like they were when mr.washed up warner& whiz came a couple of bad calls away from winning the superbbowl.-GO BIG RED!

73. By Rocky on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

what does the discussion about Kolb being ” less of a Person” have to do with anything? He is not an NFL quarterback… he cannot see over his o-line… if you check the replay of the play he was hurt on… it looked like all he had to do was STEP UP into the pocket..the o lineman is pushing his man around and to the rear of the pocket..kolb flurries to his right the d end is in hot pursuit. BAM INJURY… STEP UP IN THE POCKET… Whiz says .. the o line settled down when skelton got in the game… because he steps up into the pocket.. making the protection look better.. why make our o line the scapegoat on this series..look at the replay.. If he steps up… he is safe..

74. By Suspence716 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren- thanks for all your hard work. I know my comments are sometimes a bit controversial. I agree with you on Kolb not needing to tough-out this injury, it was only preseason. The guy needs to learn to step up into the pocket, its ridiculous he’s doing the same thing he did last year. Tell him to watch some tape of himself already!!!!!! I have a hard time believing that if this was a regular season game that Kolb doesn’t take himself out of the game anyway.

75. By Evan on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

@ScottH – It was funny, but McNabb is obviously an upgrade from what we have avail at QB right now. Even if Skelton is annointed this year, he wasn’t the reason for our success late last year – it was the defense. Plus, McNabb has post-season experience and we don’t (since Warner left). Bringing him in for an eval doesn’t cost a dime and might actually HELP us if he’s both in-shape and motivated. Food for thought, even if you don’t like how it tastes…

76. By clssylssy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren:
    You keep talking about how the NFL is not what is was 20 years ago and keep bringing up the league’s concern over liability…er…safety….and the impending concussion suit. Please explain how players inability to hit and practice proper tackling during practice is going to prepare them any better for gameday when they will be getting hit. If they’re not able to take a hit, aren’t they more of a liability to the league, especially if they have a history of concussions and missing games? I would think that any team would be looking at a players ability to physically withstand the rigors of the game. Also, I don’t think there is anything to the talk about Tebow being cut by the Jets but do you think he would be more of a “Warner-like” QB for the Cards?

77. By Red cards on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

i disagree Skelton still put points on the board so whatever I’m not saying the d didn’t play lights out . But look at the ninners now there d did win there games Alex smith got them only one Td a game last year .

78. By Scott H on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Evan -

OK. But c’mon, man…What you are seeing in McNabb is what he WAS 5-6 years ago. He’s NOT that guy anymore. He is NOT going to have a late-career ressurection like Kurt Warner did because he just doesn’t have the heart OR the skills. he’s done. The guy has been dumped by THREE teams in the past THREE years!!! His attitude sucks because he is weak of character and self-centered. BY HIS OWN WORDS, he feels he is the most criticized QB in NFL history. THAT should tell you everything you need to know. Well, that and the fact that he was benched during the season by the last two teams who employed him – both of whom admitted, after the fact, that his work ethic and attitude left a lot to be desired.

He offers NOTHING right now. And this is evidenced by the fact that he remains un-employed as teams are starting their pre-season games. It’s not like HE is just waiting to pick his spot. The fact is NO ONE wants this guy! And that doesn’t happen by accident.

BTW, he may have post-season experience but have you really taken a look at what that has been??? It’s really not that impressive. Played in 4 NFC title games, only won one of them. Pretty much choked – LITERALLY – in his only SB appearance. was 0-3 in the other NFC title games when the Eagles were favored in all three, two of which were played in Philly. It all paints a picture of a guy who consistently came up short in big games.

IMHO, he is absolutely NOT an up-grade over what we have, not on any level.

79. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

clssy –

RE: Tebow as Warner

In a word? No. No way.

OK, that’s two.

80. By Evan on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

@ScottH – If Rex Grossman can get a team to The Big Game, why not McNabb past his priime? Worked out the last time we tried it… remember when we picked up another “washed up” quarterback from the Giants? After a rough start and multiple injuries, he took us all the way to the Super Bowl.

All Things Considered, e =]

P.S. To stir the pot a little more, let’s pick up Plaxico too while we’re at it! Let’s so all we can to win it all THIS year, not three or four years from now.

81. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Evan –

As a Cardinals fan, I cannot believe you would even put Donavan McNabb in the same sentence as Kurt Warner. You must be kidding. That’s about as ridiculous as putting McNabb and Super Bowl in the same sentence. And since you brought up Rex Grossman, do you realize that is EXACTLY who McNabb was benched for in Washington 2 years ago?

Look, I can’t help you with this. You are yet another of the many people who only see the McNabb of five years ago and have ( apparently ) chosen to ignore how utterly horrible he has been the past two seasons.

And BTW, I think Plaxico showed last year that he clearly CAN still play. He is not needed here, but…hey, maybe the Seahawks can line him up with Owens!

82. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Things that stood out during that game:

Kolb’s bad play already