Arrival in Missouri

Posted by Darren Urban on August 6, 2012 – 3:07 pm

OK, not everyone. I’m here with a few of my broadcast brethren at Missouri Western State in St. Joseph, Missouri, sitting in my new but barren dorm room. It’ll be a fun three nights, I’m sure. The team arrives this evening.

The schedule sets up like this: A walkthrough Tuesday morning and a joint practice against the Chiefs at 3:15 p.m. local time (and yes, it’s open to the public. Info here on kcchiefs.com.) The Cards will then have another walkthrough Wednesday morning and a practice indoors on their own Wednesday afternoon. Thursday is a travel day and then comes a preseason game against the Chiefs in Kansas City — about an hour away — Friday night.

We’ll have the coverage of the week on azcardinals.com. I’ll have a story on the homepage in a bit on Stewart Bradley.

(P.S. Watch the video from last night’s game to see the portion when Kevin Kolb came off the field and supposedly “dissed” John Skelton like so many claim. I see a guy who is hurt and not noticing anything, especially Skelton and Skelton’s hand off to the side. I’m sure John knows that. To suggest Kolb blew off Skelton on purpose is ludicrous.)

Tags: , , ,

94 Responses to “Arrival in Missouri”

1. By TUCSTEVE on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Agree with Darren on the kolb diss. Everyone is looking for the smallest reason to diss on kolb. Its starting to get pathetic

2. By hummer53 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh my, I can see the thickness of the air. Hope they get lots of water. Of course it’s not exactly crisp in PHX this week either.

3. By D on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Some players had good performances last night, the punter was great, the special team play by the rookie was great, S. Bradley looks like he could start over Lennon (granted only one game) I liked Lindely’s performance up until that pick…couple of good plays like the speed of Carter on the Dline and the Thump of Q. Groves…clearly the Oline blocks better on the run than pass….always some positive can be taken from a game….

4. By Suspence716 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I think its really funny how some of the media keep coming up with every excuse for Kolb… Now he’s hurting too bad to give a guy a low five when he’s coming in? I mean come on already!!!!! LOL!!! Kolb is always hurt, whats new?

5. By Rugbymuffin on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Good stuff Darren.

Only someone who hasn’t been hit would not understand, why Kolb wasn’t responding to much. When you can’t breathe, the last thing you are thinking about is etiquette.

6. By Rugbymuffin on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

OH YEAH!!!!

Mr. Darren Urban, if you could, and it is understandable if you cannot, but could you ask John Skelton if he uses a “rugby pass” when he throws his tosses for sweep plays.

I must have rewind my DVR 10 times watching the replay of the Antonio Smith TD run. The toss looked like a rugby pass, but I am not 100% sure. It looked to me to be a tight spiral, and “floated” like rugby passes do. Maybe it is something he picked up at Fordham and if so, good for him.

Two things in rugby that should be used in football is the rugby pass for any backward tosses for sweeps and such, because it is much more easy to handle, and the other is how to pick a ball up off the dirt.

But, I digress……. If you can think of it, that would be great, and very interesting.

7. By dean bower on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

sorry Darren

I disagree, it looks like a diss to me.looking forward to friday night.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Suspence —

RE: Funny

Let’s talk about funny: Now fans hate him so much that they make up stories about how Kolb intentionally blows off a teammate with whom he is friendly — and they are friendly — because why, he hates the competition? I mean, come on already!!!!! LOL!!!

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Dean —

RE: “Diss”

Why? Explain to me why? What would be the point?

10. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I agree D with all your comments;

I think the most intrigging battles right now are in the secondary.

I think Bethal could develop into a good safety with CB skills. He showed he can play special teams.

Blake Gideon made a couple of nice plays including a pick in the end zone.

Larry Parker showed off some cover skills and almost made a great pick

Eddie Elder had the huge hit causing the fumble. He was around the ball a lot.

Fleming is a promising draft pick.

OK, we have PP, Gay, Wilson and Rhodes as locks.
    Can Toler, Jefferson, Adams, Johnson and Green hold these young guys off?
    Now, this week with the Chiefs and the game is the time to make your move.

11. By Darren on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I agree being hurt is not a character flaw, and Kolb probably did not intentionally diss Skelton. I think some of our fans are just so frustrated after all the long suffering years, they turn into that fan (Randy Quaid) from the “Major League” movies.

12. By Nick on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

You guys are nieve. Kolb clearly looks at Skelton as he’s approaching and then looks straight down. Whiz even looks over at Kolb after Skelton awkwardly rubbed Whiz’s belly in the exchange. You could tell throughout the subsequent sideline shots of the game how the team was reacting to Kolb and Skelton. Skelton was with Fitz, Colledge and the rest of the first stringers while Kolb was off pouting with the back-ups. The mob is seeing who the leader is in this group and they are starting to shift. Kolb may be a great guy to be around, but his consistent failure to produce will ultimately decide his fate…and it looks like it’s just around the corner.

13. By Nick on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren – I think you’re getting defensive because you know them. They may be “friendly”, but that doesn’t mean Kolb, in the middle of his overwhelming pain and frustration, makes a foolish mistake and puts himself in front of the team. This is his year to prove his contract (not to mention his durability, pocket presence, and arm strength) and he has three terrible drives capped off by an injury. I’d be pretty pissed off, too. Now enter his serious competitor that his bigger, faster, and seemingly has more upside, not to mention a giant smile because it’s his turn to show his worth. Kolb made an immature move that I’m sure he’s accustomed to being a coach’s son. I thought Kolb was the answer and even gave himt he benefit of the doubt with an offseason, etc. I think we need to pull the sheet off our eyes and see him for what he is.

14. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

The “diss” is a non issue. Let it go. I don’t know Kevin, but he seems like he has character and is a quality individual.
    I believe he cares (insert DA rant) and wants to be the guy.

I agree, don’t look for reasons to hate. The fact he could not make a simple read on the first play and threw that horrible INT is good enough reason to question his abilities. The fact he struggles stepping up in the pocket is a reason to say you are not a fan.
    But come on.. A high five??

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Knowing them

Not saying he’s not frustrated. I guess people are going to see what they want to see. I would’ve thought I’d have more insight because I know them. I guess not.

16. By dan on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, who do YOU think the starting QB should be? Who is the better QB?

17. By BIG RED on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Why argue with someone who is always defending Kolb, it’s useless.

18. By dean bower on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    the point is… the heat of the battle.Kolb is frustrated with it and himself and the fans as well.and John has nothing to lose and it shows in the way they play.frustration got the better of him.i listen to every word you Doug and everyone who reports on the team who has something to say about ths QB battle and you all faver Kolb…i just dont see why. i want the cardinals to win thats it Kolb or skelton doesnt matter to me JUST WIN.and look good doing it!

19. By sackman on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

In ref. to the high five “diss”, I believe the media said it first! Lets blame the media. They say there is a Quarterback competition. I say it is a health issue competition, and the healthiest QB will be the last man standing. 1) If Kolb can’t get out there in the next few weeks the competition is over. 2) 1 more poor performance by Kolb the competition is over. Time will tell. Lets move on please!!!

20. By Soares20 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Darren I didn’t mean to start something I was just pointing out that Kolb made a mistake that’s all, because he is a good person. I still support Kolb I hope he pulls through this injury and proves everybody wrong(including the fans). I support every Cardinal on this roster. GO CARDS!

21. By tucsteve on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Nick- None of that stuff you said was shown. Now you’re just making it up. Its getting sad. Everyone needs to keep it classy.

22. By chad on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I guess I wont say he blew him off or not, both sides of this “diss” or no “diss”, have good point’s. Kolb maid bad reads and did not play well though. All of us know they practiced the first few drives over and over. Kolb did the same thing last year and ran out of the pocket. All last year I defended him and defended him. I am not happy he is support to of been “The Guy”. We could of went with Demetrius Bell giving him a little more money on our offer cutting Kolb and going after Carl Nicks locking down our O-Line, and getting behind Skeleton W/ all our Offensive Skill Players.

23. By chad on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    Q: We should only go into the season with 3 QB’s right?
    Q: Do you think Lindely has the upper hand on Bartell?

24. By emm7777 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Probably not a diss, but he seems more concerned with himself than those around him.

25. By Red cards on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Cant be mad at fans for seeing it that way I did it just looked bad and is not helping is cause. Anyways im not as mad as I was so I hope kolb can prove that he’s got what it takes to him self and us fans . But I still like big bad John

26. By Miles on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

The reason why i think it was a diss Darren was because Kolb looked directly at Skelton and then put his head down. To me that is what made it a diss, if he had his head down the whole time and didn’t see the gesture i would be on your side but with the motion of looking right at Skelton and the back on the ground is the diss. Oh is it sad that i dance exactly the same as stewart Bradley?

27. By RelayTV on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Sorry but, these are the days of the HD DVR. We can rewind and watch up close, a moment that happened in 1/10th of a second, over and over.

It looked like Kolb blew off Skelton to me.

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things — No.

A pick on his first throw and another injury from getting tackled — That matters.

If last night’s game is any indication, Skelton has improved over last season. Kolb has not.

I was really pulling for Kolb, but he choked last night. And Skelton led a TD drive.

I think the starting QB job is now Skelton’s to lose.

Kolb must play real well next time, to even stay in the hunt.

28. By drummer-1 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Like i said awhile back, there is NOTHING this man can do without getting beat-up by the fans.. Hell if i was kolb i’d ask to be traded or cut, just to get away from these whinny fans..

29. By CoolDaddy79 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I seen what i seen and it looked like a diss to me. And i dont look into things that arent there. That was a diss.

30. By Peter in Canada on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I realize that a lot of the fans are becoming illogical in their hatred of Kolb. The injury could have happened to anyone caught in that position, so in my opininion Kolb is entirely blameless. Regarding the snub, I will give him the benefit of the doubt because he obviously had other things on his mind. There are however, other things to look at.

On the interception Kolb looked like a bad CFL QB. The sideline pass floated in and he made a poor decision, not seeing the defender.This was pointed out by the colour man. Under pressure he continued to run out of the pocket.
    Skelton, on the other hand showed great pocket presence. His accuracy was much better than last year and he seemed to make good decisions.He played with and against pretty much the same players as Kolb.

I don’t think anyone can deny it was round 1 to Skelton.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Dan –

RE: QB

If I had to base it on 10 days of camp, I’d say Skelton.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Dean –

RE: winning and Kolb

This is what I don’t understand – I am not saying Kolb should be QB or that he played well last night. He was terrible, and he got hurt and he played into every stereotype fans don’t like about him. If I made a choice now, which I wouldn’t because I’m not the coach and because we are only a couple weeks into camp, it’d be Skelton.

What I don’t understand is the vitriol against Kolb. It isn’t just about his bad play. People get so foolish n some of their comments. I know people hate when I defend him, but take a look – if someone just says Kolb isn’t is good as Skelton, play Skelton – I don’t say anything. It’s the overboard stuff I’m choose not to let go.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Chad –

RE: QB questions

I expect three QBs, yes.

I think Lindley has the upper hand because he has upside and is younger.

34. By tucsteve on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Why argue with someone who is always attacking Kolb? Its useless.

35. By CORMAC b on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I agree with DARREN on this one. KOLB looked to be in pain, so that last thing he is going to want to do is stretch out and hug Skelton. HE JUST HURT HIS DAM RIBS>.. JEEZZZ. Also, KOLB was in the middle of two other men, it was akinda akward attempt on JOHNS part, no matter the good intention.Kolb was probably thinking seriously??? He just wanted to be left alone for a minute while he got back his composer from the pain.

I just think it was lame he went and put on different clothes. At least stay in your dam uniform???? Show some respect to the other players. I just dont think he gets it. How can a man like that, lead warriors?

A famous quote from a Greek in ages past.

the question posed…..” How does one lead free men?”

The answer…..”By being better than they,”

Alcibiades of Athens

36. By david on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Who impressed you the most from a defensive stand point , not including the protected starters…

Thank you for all ur replies Darren.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

David –

RE: Defense

Bradley and Groves I noticed the most.

38. By Ken on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I think Whiz should not let this drag any longer. He should announce Skelton the starter and give him all the reps, because he will need them. Skelton may not be the greatest but he is the best we have now. And as for Kolb, Whiz should put his pride aside, and declare we made a mistake and overpaid him. We were all blinded into believing Kolb was the answer, even Fitzgerald who is a verry intelligent person.

39. By Skiptim on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

Do you think Stewart Bradley will/should get into choreography after he retires from football?

Also, pending a clean bill of health, do you think Kolb will get the start this Friday, or will it rotate to Skelton? I expected them to switch to see both play against the 1s, but do you see Kolb’s lack of sufficient time having an impact on the rotation?

And Kolb, if you’re reading this like I know you probably are, you’ve still got some support. Good luck, hope everything works out (okay sorry Darren, he probably isn’t reading this).

40. By in fitz we trust on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

skelton 1 point… kolb 0 points… looking forward to friday. my money is still on kolb.

41. By cactus_hawaiian on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Besides the INT that Kolb threw on his first pass, the pass protection just wasn’t there for him. I guess everyone seems to forget it takes 3 1/2 quarters for Skelton to warm up and the defense needs to play nearly a perfect game.

Kolb made a bad read on his first pass attempt. Skelton also made one when he didn’t see Housler beat coverage in the slot which would have been a TD.

As for those who say Kolb dissed Skelton…c’mon are we in grade school?

42. By John C on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

@drummer-1

You know this is a blog right? Darren writes articles and allows us to post comments, positive or negative. “Whinny fans”? The only thing I’ve EVER seen you do is whine about fans comments. I think that makes you the whiner.

43. By Dave on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Nobody wants to admit that the tail was waggin’ the dog when Fitz said he wanted Kolb. The entire FO had pressure on that decision because the future of Fitz and the Cards hung in the balance. The fact is they all knew they had to keep Fitz here at almost any cost. So they all followed up the Leinart debacle with the Kolb blunder due to politics. They did it again when Fitz said he wanted Floyd in the draft.
    Whisenhunt has drafted 2 QB’s, neither of which resemble Kolb in the slightest. It’s not like you have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
    Now? The whole thing is backfiring in their faces.
    Puhleeeeze. Kolb has been in the league nearly twice as long as Skelton and is being paid 10 times more. What the team is getting in return for their investment is putrid.
    End the experiment. It didn’t fly. Kolb belongs on a team that has a head coach that can build an offense around what he does best. Not on a team coached by Whisenhunt that demands that the QB FIT into his scheme.
    Keeping Kolb is like trying to DRIVE a square peg into a round hole.

44. By Luke Eikens on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

I have been looking around, maybe not hard enough, but can we watch the Cards Chiefs game? NFL network? DIrect tv Sunday ticket? Online? also on another note. I was thinking about this today. Why is it when Kolb messes up, or runs out of the pocket or throws a pick or becomes Mr. Glass from unbreakable we blame the line, or the WR or lack of practice, but when Skelton does well or just better then Kolb everyone says, including Whiz, that the line was blocking better, or people settled down. Is the Cards front office that worried that if they say Kolb is a bust we will riot?

45. By ben on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

alright already with kolb he’s a huge bust for this franchise!

46. By Tyler on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

No intentional diss there people ‘come on’. coach whiz ran into Skeltons hand before Kolb could even see it. He was looking at the ground the entire time. The line had not kicked it in gear yet the short time Kolb was playing. There really is not enough to see there to go one way or the other with the qb battle. However Kolb really needs some confidence in those guys up front or he is going to keep taking off whenever there is pressure. Considering the injuries that have come when the o line has broke down it is going to be even harder for him to get comfortable in the pocket with those guys.. going to take some time in preseason to see if he can hack it maybe longer than people would like. DARREN WHAT DID U THINK OF LEVI?? I did not get to see how long he was in or how well he performed

47. By John the draft guy on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

Alright,
    I just watched the plays Kolb was in on last night.

On the INT, The safety came out on the flat underneath. Easy read, bad pass.

On the 3rd and 12, he had good intial protection and had Doucet wide open underneath crossing route about 4-5 yds deep. I understand you want the 1st down but 3rd and 12, you take whats there. As he scrambled, Sherman was open also, Kolb looked at him and continued scambling and then threw the ball away.

On the play he was injured. The saints brought six. He should have read this pre snap. But, as the rush came in, he appears not to trust LSH to pick up his guy (which he did) and rolled into the outside rush. Going back to the play early, My screen didnt show the deep patterns, but Heap was wide open to the left on an out at 5 yds deep (where the blitzer came from) Kolb didnt read this. Again, he left the pocket early and ended up getting hit and injured.

Kolb really had a poor game reading the defense, trusting his backs to pick up blocks, and understanding to take what he is given. I would love to hear what whiz saw on these plays and what he sees in his QB.

48. By joecb91 on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

It is amazing how many people on here seem to hate Kolb for even existing.

49. By Rio on Aug 6, 2012 | Reply

The only way we can win with kolb is to take the 6 million we just gave him and give it to the refs. on game day to ensure a win.

50. By bluepitt on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I dont think Kolb blew him off, Kolb moved his right hand but was to late, and put it back.. That is right on the film. Skelton was trying to fist bump and Kolb caught it out of the corner of his eye to late and reacted a little late. no big deal! If he was in “pain” (not going their) then Skelton needed to give him a “checking on him thumbs up” (like you do when you are checking if a person is ok) and not try and fist bump…So skeltons bad! lol

51. By Mark on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, you had to know when Kolb’s first pass was picked off you were gonna have a ton of Kolb haters on the blog. I for one really wanted Kolb to succeed. I have not seen him play in workouts or training camp like you and others have, but his play yesterday looked just like it did last year with no improvement. He looked antsy in the pocket and bailed when the pressure came. I am kinda discouraged with his development. Maybe he is just more suited for the West Coast offense the Eagles run. I just hope he improves regardless if he starts or not.

52. By Sylvia Keppy-Dow on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Go Cardinals… Let them all know how great our AZ Cardinals are…

53. By Chris Whitaker on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Sadly, the Cards organization wants Kolb to outplay Skelton. Their attitude oughta be: may the best QB win the job.

54. By david on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Also Darren, sorry to nag but can you add film for US fans on the pre season games maybe the whole game?

That would give us a better look of the players…

55. By dan on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Sweet! I was hoping you would say Skelton. I’ve been pulling for Kolb but he’s just not cut out for the job, Skelton has better instincts as well. Another thing……….WTblank is Haggans still doing on the team? Coach Jhiz needs to pull the plug on the piece of garbage. I’ve hated this roster sucker for the past few years and I swear he better be gone soon.

56. By red rider on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

the video does show kolb looking skelton’s way before looking back down. one would think Kolb would have at least acknowledged skelton in some way, so I think there is more we can interpret from that then just Kolb in pain. If I had to guess, Kolb knew not just how bad his injury and performance looked but also that he left the door wide open for Skeletor. Still that’s all conjecture since there is no way to know either way.

I do agree with Darren in that fans are getting out of hand the way they make ad hominen attacks on Kolb. Not to play Dr Phil, but it almost seems like ppl react in a way they would a lazy no-good COWORKER (we all have at least one, trust me). Although our coworkers are supposed to be part of the team, neither they nor we are part of the Cardinals football team. We are fans and are not privy to the goings on in the locker room. Remember, Kolb was the one who shined against and beat the Cowboys last season. Kolb had the better passer-rating. Give the guy a few more outings. Yes, Skelton had more wins last season, but so did Tebow….I rest my case.

57. By Eric Hutchins on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

In Kolb I trust. Period. Skelton is a serviceable backup, and that is all he will ever be.
    Thank goodness Whiz is the one making decision for this team and not some of these “fans”.

58. By CodyZarr on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

It is kind of silly that this has gotten so much attention. I’m only going to say one thing about the “diss” because really, it does not matter what it was.

From the position of Kolb’s face mask it looked as though he was looking directly at Skelton’s outstretched hand as he drew closer. So I do think he saw it. I don’t know if you noticed, but that was the side he landed on when he went down and he did appear as though he was in some pain. If you’ve ever bruised a rib you know it can be difficult to move your arms, especially at first. He just didn’t want to agitate the injury or cause more pain.

Kolb has been through a lot, and not once has he struck me as someone that would pout like that. So that’s my two cents.

59. By jeffgollin on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Initially, it looked like a diss; but on further review, it’s obvious that Kolb was in great pain and could be excused for ignoring Skelton’s gesture. I’m inclined to cut him some slack on this one (but not for his poor performance on the field).

Actually, it looked as though one of the assistant coaches or trainers accompanying Kevin brushed off John’s gesture.

Bottom line – there’s plenty of other stuff for us to be concerned about other than this deal.

60. By CodyZarr on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

As a side note, who knew we’d have another polarizing figure in the organization so soon after Leinart.

61. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: QB start in KC

Pretty sure the plan was always to rotate the start to Skelton this week, although nothing has been officially announced.

As for Kolb injury impact, of course there is a chance it will impact things. We’ll have to see what Kolb can do.

62. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Luke —

RE: TV

The game will be on abc 15 this week.

63. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Tyler —

RE: Levi

I’ll be honest, he wasn’t who I was watching. I know there was the one play highlighted by the broadcast that showed he should have been called for holding in the end zone.

64. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

David —

RE: “Film”

Other than highlights, no we can’t. If you want a way to watch/break down games, go here: https://preseason.nfl.com/nflpl/secure/packages?ttv=0&ttp=3&wl=ARI&team=ARI&nlrefer=ARI&app=PRESEASON_LIVE&icampaign=PJ_GPPSL_ht_domestic_ARI&affiliateId=83327&clickId=434664198&affiliateCustomId=

Or for the regular season games: https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=3&affiliateCustomId=&wl=ARI&nlrefer=ARI&team=ARI&affiliateId=83327&clickId=417923843&icampaign=PJ_GR_88&s_tnt=35293:9:0

65. By Luke Eikens on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

RE:TV
    Sorry ii guess i should have mentioned I live in Los Angeles. The worst city NFL city in the world. HA. Any idea on where i can watch?

66. By cactusjeff on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

We dont hate Kolb. We hate that he doesn’t have NFL talent. He lacks arm strength, he can’t throw off his back foot with any velocity. So when pocket gets congested he can’t step into his throws. His only option is to run. Skelton can stand flat footed and still deliver the ball. Kolb can’t do it.

67. By Sir60 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know if there was any disrespect by Kolb or not. It is not that important. Kolb is either injury prone or the unluckiest quarterback in the league. He actually looked frightened in the pocket or desparate to make something happen. The pass to the sideline, that was intercepted, should have been thrown much sooner, or not at all.
    I’m trying to remember the last time he played well for an entire game. I guess the Carolina game last year. We don’t have a Kurt Warner and I believe Skelton can develop into a competent quarterback. I don’t see any upside to Kolb.

68. By joe67 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Can’t believe some of you guys. You are embarrassing. Next time you get hurt or are in pain for any reason, I want to run by and slap hands with you.
    I want the best possible qb we can have on the field.

Some of you think the only good qb we have, is the next one we are going to get.
    I would love to know how some of you reacted to Warner when he first got here.

Where did Gideon come from?? Don’t remember hearing the name at all until Sunday nite.

69. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Luke —

RE: TV

Unfortunately, I don’t. Unless you get the preseason live package.

70. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

CactusJeff —

RE: Kolb criticism

All fair points. And if everyone stated it like you do, I’d never respond.

71. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Blake Gideon

Undrafted rookie safety. Long, long shot, but he made a nice pick.

72. By harold on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Kolb is our guy regardless … maybe we can give him some of what Stewart Bradley had for breakfast. Its one pass. I threw a pick 6 my first pass this summer in our state games and came back and won the game on the last play… different level but its a mentality and one series doesnt allow someone to get confident. Jake Plummer struggled early because he was so geeked for the games… Kolb was outstanding in the seoond half vs. Dallas… there is something there – lets not be quick to judge. Like Pat Kirwan says – careful what you ask for?? In saying that – I am a little disconcerted when under duress – Kolb seems to continue to roll right in lieu of stepping up in the pocket. when he does that he cuts the field in half. That’s instinctive and hard to correct.

73. By Greg on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

In Kolb you trust?! Do you WATCH the games? It baffles me that Kolb still has supporters. None of the QBs are any good. Skelton sucks the least of them. The End.

74. By Red cards on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Umm sorry buddy it didn’t take 3 1/2 for John to get warmed up. Did you even watch

75. By Marcelof on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren!

Considering either Kevin or Skelton got the start and the starter cannot be what expected… you think they are going to stick to the guy till the end of the season or there may a shift??!

I saw it last year when Skelton got some INT against SF and he was replaced. That’s not good.. neither for the player confidence itself nor for the team as a group..

76. By cardsalltheway on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

“The first interception that he throws last night is, really, it’s a high school coverage,” Lombardi said.”

Even I can read High School defenses, how was it that our scouts/coaches/GM couldn’t see or know what Michael Lombardi does?

“Clearly in Philadelphia it was that Andy was doing the right things for Kevin Kolb.”

Do I need to decipher that for anyone? To me it means that Ken W. isn’t able or willing to do the right things for K. Kolb. Really, not even for $60 + million?

77. By clssylssy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Quick to judge? OMG…ROFL! It was pointed out by the commentators, as well, as analysts outside the Cards organization, that the O-Line was pathetic in the beginning but “tightened” up some when John Skelton took the field, that’ Skelton’s atheleticism, as well as, his abilityy to make intelligent decisions was superior to Kolb’s …hmmm. Yep, everybody is a hater…Kolb hasn’t had a chance, etc., etc., etc. Perhaps, part of Kolb’s problem is his inability to take any responsibility himself, but instead,lets everybody else makes excuses for him. Not once, have I heard him talk about having a lot of work to do on his game, his desire to be “that guy” and how much he wants the Cards to make it to the Superbowl… the kind of humble yet encouraging words we hear from winners like Fitz, Dockett, Wilson, Peterson…players that leave their mark week after week through leadership. Whether Kolb dissed Skelton is between Kolb and the rest of the team. What is interesting is that his manner of relating to people gives off the impression that he would do something like dis a teammate. Football is a gladiator sport and he can’t take a legal hit, like he got from Ellis then he’s in the wrong line of work. I’ve seen high school and college players take harder hits…yes, it hurts but, really?this IS FOOTBALL!. I’m sorry for Kolb, I don’t think he is physically tough enough to even be playing and, given his years in the league and amount of money he makes shouldn’t need everybody to make excuses for him. Maybe he should hire a PR coach along with a personal trainer if he is really invested in having a career in the NFL.

78. By Suspence716 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

You people really want to make Jake plummer to Kevin Kolb comparisons? Kolb is making Plummer look like Johnny Unitas!!!!

79. By At least try on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Kolb at least has stay firm in the pocket. If the online let’s him get crushed, then so be it…it’s on them. BUT, by leaving that pocket, Kolb turns responsibility onto him. STAND THERE AND LET THE O-LINE TAKE THE HIT (no pun intended)

80. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I’ve got a solution to the perceived Kolb diss. Darren do you know any reporters who have access to Cardinals players that could actually ask Kolb if he was dissing Skelton? :) I would be inclined to listen to his answer before jumping to a conclusion and judging him. And for all the experts out there who can tell where he was looking, how many of us throughout our lives have been preoccupied with something and not seen something standing right in front of us, let alone being in pain. So how bout someone ask Kolb and see what his response is?

81. By Peter in Canada on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

John the Draft Guy –
    I saw the same things as you if not in quite so much detail re all the open receivers and LSH’s block. Your post and that of CactusJeff are insightful and informative. They are constructive criticisms rather than attacks on his manhood re the injuries, resentment over his salary which we are stuck with for this year and the questioning of his character over something which he may or may not have done regarding Skelton’s handshake. Kolb may prove to be worth the money he is getting but if he doesn’t then he won’t be the first player to be over valued but that is the fault of the decision makes not him.

82. By Will on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

In the end the only thing that matters is the result. Kolb seem to hold the ball looking for the right read. Something that shows his courage in the pocket. But he has had trouble winning, and he doesn’t seem to be able to sense trouble, hence he always seems to be in trouble. I think he can get it done, but what I think matters little…

83. By Darren Urban on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Marcelof —

RE: QBs

I don’t know how it’ll play out. Anything is possible at this point.

84. By harold on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I saw the pic – i say play the position -… its not so easy kolb was disgusted with himself – he cares thats all we can ask

85. By John the draft guy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Marcelof;

That is the disaster I feared before the year. It is why Peter King said Lindley would be starting at some point this year.

Let’s hope Skelton (if he is named the starter) can hold down the job for the entire year. We’ve seen what rotating QBs gets you with DA, Max Hall and Skelton 2 yrs ago and Kolb / Skelton last year.

86. By John the draft guy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

That is so unfair to blame Kolbs inabilities on the coach.

I think Whiz did pretty good handling a rookie in Big Ben and a vet in Warner. Not easy to help take two totally different QBs, at different stages in their careers, and get them to the superbowl, winning one.

I wish I had that on MY resume.

87. By azdesertrat1953 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Ahh Ribs. They HURT when 280 lb.+ guys fall on ya. Then trying to get your head back in the game while wondering if your alright, then a hand flashes in front of you and you try to go for it and see it is to late to make contact so you just keep walking, just like Skelton did, time to go to work!

I wish Skelton would have had one more shot at getting a TD just to see if he could without throwing an interception. But I’ll wait till Friday night, cause he’ll be starting then. But what I seen in the HoF game, Skelton looked good. That one throw when he was going to his right and thru it back the other way, across his body, was an int. last year but he Nailed that one and it looked natural, like he had been doing it for a while.

I would say that Lindley did better than Bartell, even with the int.

GO CARDS!!!

88. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I am not bias towards Skelton or Kolb; I will support whoever leads the team. So with that said…what if Kolb stays healthy and has a breakout season this year? Would all the people that have mopped the floor with him already be willing to admit they were wrong? OF COURSE they will, they always do. He’s not playing well right now, that’s obvious. Regardless of what we’ve seen from him at this point, let this thing play out before making your final judgment. Trust me; I’ll be one of the first to criticize the Kolb trade if he fails to be the QB. But not yet.

89. By John the draft guy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

KDubADub1324

I would never critcize the Kolb trade. At the time, we needed a franchise QB. With the number 5 pick, we could have looked at Locker (who will be very good), Gabbert (not off to a good start) or signed an aging QB like Hasselback and drafted a QB in 2012 (my choice).

The cards thought Kolb was that guy and traded very little to land a guy who could be the franchise. (I would trade DRC and a 2nd for a franchise QB every day)

Also, dont forget, there was a little stress regarding the Fitz contract. I’m sure that factored in to it somewhere, somehow.

So, now it appears that you took this chance and it might not pan out. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have taken the chance. Good news is they structured the contract in a way that if we cut him at the end of the year, we have no dead money I believe.

Skelton will be the starter this year and next year, we need to invest in landing a first round QB. Again, there is a risk there, but you can’t win without a QB.

90. By cardsalltheway on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy,
    Frankly, I don’t care what he supposedly did with Ben and the Steelers. Whatever you claim is just that, he wasn’t the head coach of the Steelers at the time and if I were to do an Internet search I’m sure I’d be bombarded with negatives concerning Ben and Ken W. Anyway, haven’t you heard the ole statement…”What have you done for me lately?” I don’t give Ken W. any credit for K. Warner, he was an already made QB and Super Bowl winner. Since K. Warner let Ken W. ride his jersey tail in 2008, it’s been dismal ever since and I mean darker than any head coach/QB(s) situation in the NFL. Since 2009 anyone that has attended an AZ Cardinals football game as a tourist has most likely experienced dark tourism with its QB’s. I was a John Skelton fan and still am, but I know the realities or should I say limits with you know who at the helm. On the other hand, I’m all for R. Bartel as well, heck I’d even go with the new guy if Bartel doesn’t pan out, truth is I sympathize with each of them. At this point the only chance K. Kolb has is if he rides the bench as a 3rd/4th stringer or practice squad QB and gets another chance by default/injury. Honestly, he needs much time to get whatever it is right, if that’s even possible(?) – oil and water don’t mix.

91. By Marcelof on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy –

Rotating Qb’s will just demoralize even more the weapons we’ve got as well as it happened the past two years. Sequency is pretty much needed for improvement.
    how Can we expect a monster QB if a couple of flaws and bad decisions instead of making him learn are getting him off.

I don’t like Kolb’s play and probably never will – despite a superbowl apparition – so this season I’ll root for Skelton to be a surprise QB and play his best.

P.s. If Kolb was worth the money, he wouldn’t be in such controversy. it’s a matter of YES or NO, HE IS or HE ISN’T, there should be no MAYBE in this issue.

92. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway;
    So Warner was realesed by the Rams, lost his job after 8 games with the Giants, and was a backup under Green. Most people thought his career was over.
    Coach Whiz married his system with Warners strengths, which turned out to be successful. It wasnt like he got Tom Brady. He got a QB who most thought was done long ago. It is unbelievable people won’t give him credit.

Put this in perspective. The cards have been in the valley around 24 years. During the 19 years, pre whiz, one 9-7 record and 1 playoff win.Since Whiz took over, 2 playoff appearences, 4 playoff wins and Superbowl appearence. Not to mention only 1 losing season in 5 years. Yeah, your right. He sucks.

Finally, I’m trying to get your plan down, but what I can tell is; You would put Kolb as 4th string or practice squad, then play Skelton, Bartel and then go with Lindley if Bartel (a guy who may not make the team) doesnt pan out.And you would do this because Whiz sucks at developing QBs.

OK. What other ideas do you have to save this team?

93. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Marcelof

I don’t think Kolb is worth the money and I’ve said I wouldn’t have brought him back this year. I would have named Skelton the starter and traded up to land a QB (Tannehill) in the 2012 draft.

I think we are in agreement about Kolb.

Is Skelton the answer? I would give him 16 games this year to find out.

94. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

@ John the draft guy

You make good points. Anytime there’s a trade in sports, I always hold back on any negative criticism or positive affirmations. This trade is no exception. Honestly, I made no negative or positive remarks about the Kolb trade because my thought was to sit back, let it play out over the season, and then form my thought on him. But here we are again with a sit-and-wait approach. It can be said that the trade was good at the time because they got what they thought what was the future QB and it arguably kept Fitz here, but at the same time it can be looked at as bad (which it has been by many) because he was unproven, he’s STILL a question mark, and AZ paid up a lot of money for him. Its hard to get an accurate reading on the guy if he’s not out there. LOL. But as I said, I think it’d be better to wait and judge him after we get a better sample size of what he’s going to be