Lindley’s first impression

Posted by Darren Urban on August 8, 2012 – 9:33 am

Ryan Lindley had a chance right off the bat. Sure it was preseason, a game which the outcome would never mean anything. But it was first-and-goal and a comeback in your first NFL game, exhibition or not, would be nice.

But the chance ended with a third-down interception, after a drop and a too-high throw on the first two downs. The missed opportunity bugged him, and even though coach Ken Whisenhunt pointed out that Lindley hasn’t gotten a lot of red-zone work, Lindley brushed off excuses.

“I have two throws I could have made and I wouldn’t have had to worry about the third one,” Lindley said.

Unquestionably, Lindley is an intriguing candidate. Do I think Lindley will start this year? No, I really don’t. But he might someday. He’s made enough of an impression on me to wonder why he wouldn’t have been drafted a little higher. You can see the leadership quality in the way he carries himself.

He still has to beat out Rich Bartel for a spot on the roster. But, at this point, he’s shown a little something, especially for a later choice. He’s just happy to be playing. In the locker rom after the Saints game, he just smiled. “Even (college) all-star games, the Senior Bowl, doesn’t compare to this.”

Tags:

37 Responses to “Lindley’s first impression”

1. By beardinals on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I think the kid might have something. It might even be better to have collapsed in the red zone to use as a teaching experience.

2. By desertspin on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

He’s my huckleberry – watched him in camp. Strong, decisive, confident with those “intangibles” we like in Skelton. The way I see the QB depth is #1 Skelton; #2 Lindley; #3 Bartel (though I know they’ll keep Kolb in there, for obvious reasons). I just wish the Cardinal organization, coaching staff would take the blinders off & see what the fans & the rest of the world are seeing. Kolb sucks.

3. By Dynosoar on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Brett Favre (I can’t believe I’m acturally typing his name) has two records that stand out to me. 1. Most touchdowns and 2. Most interceptions.

I’ve watched quaterbacks for a long time and what I’ve noticed about the elite ones is what they do on third down and long.

Good and even great quarternacks will make the throw and the team usually will punt, because they throw for four yards when they need seven. Sure they’re accurate, but they don’t get the first down.

The elite quarterbacks will throw for a first down or a touchdown. They don’t checkdown. How often does/did Warner, Manning, Rothel…something, Breese, Favre, (I can’t think of the Patriot guys name, aargh, I can’t think of him. Making my point and I can’t think.) look at tthird and long and checkdown for a three yard gain. They don’t.

Watch our quarterbacks for what they do on third and long. I don’t care that Lindley threw an interception. He threw for a touchdown, not a safe checkdown.

I’d rather have a gunslinger and a warrior than Mr. Checkdown (we’ve seen what that’s gotten us in the past.)
    I’m willing to wait out Coaches decisions at quarterback. I know who I like as the three man quarteback staff, but Warner and Tarkenton and Young aren’t comming back, (no just kidding.) but I’ll watch and wait the pre-season games and then enjoy the season.

We need elite, watch third and long across the league.

4. By Dynosoar on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

For those of you who don’t belive I can (and my Scouts don’t think I can either), here’s a short posting. :)

5. By BS on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I thought he looked pretty decent right up until that pick….but hey he got more throws in without a pick than Kolb did.

6. By Dynosoar on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I’d say Kolb and Bartel were playing and Skelton and Lindley were hungry. Am I correct in my assessment?

Darren, you’re around the team, are Kolb and Bartel as hungry? I don’t see them so I don’t really know. Was what I see in Skelton and Lindley hunger or something else? (Is this a fair question to ask you? If not, tell me to just watch more games and I’ll do it.)

I enjoyed the game. Our uniforms looked sweet on that field. The blocked field goal had me cheering. I loved that Coach Whiz had the refs correct the wrong placement of the football at one point. Last question, will the Saints even need Shawn Peyton again? I’m thinking maybe not.

7. By Angel on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Its pretty sad that Lindley look 10x better then Kolb’s best day of work.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar —

RE: QB “hunger”

I don’t think it’s a “want-to” question with any of those guys.

9. By Dan Brosman on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I thought Lindley did far better than Bartel and everyone did substantially better than Kolb. Skelton looked in control as did Lindley. I would like to see Lindley up against a first team defense.

10. By Hoadhead on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Considering the pressure of his first NFL action, I think Lindley looked pretty good. I’d like to see how he does with the first string receivers. One thing for sure is that he is a leader, he takes responsibility and doesn’t make excuses. The team will play better with him around.

11. By Dynosoar on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren thanks. It’s hard to interpret body language from a television screen (although for some reason we all still try).

I appreciate your assessments and reporting. I wanted Kevin Kolb last year, just like Fitzgerald. Everyone please remember that, even Larry wanted Kevin to come to Arizona. Regardless of what happens, I do like what I saw from the whole team last Sunday.

Go Cards!

(Oh, and to address my earlier post, Brady was the forgotten one.)

12. By In Oline we trust on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I like the assessment. Kolb is scared to hold in the pocket and trust the line. You have to until proven otherwise. Coincidence Skelton stays tough in pocket and “seemingly” gets better play from line? I think there is a direct correlation!

13. By drummer-1 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

WOW….. Kolb 1-4 consider’d a bust, but Leinart was here for 5 years and some fans say’s he never got chance… Hello John C..

14. By Rio on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Kolb needs to play soccer, just run side line to side line and then get injured.

15. By SSG Tim Roberts on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I watched him (Lindley) during that game, and for somebody without a lot of “Red Zone” work I think he performed really well. Sure he made some mistakes, but thats what a rookie does, make mistakes. He moved that ball with some really good throws against the Saints and would have scored if not for the pick. I see him matureing and playing well in this system. Little more experiance behind the center and he can perform better. Being fair to Bartel, he moved it with more success and was poised to score. But if I recall a Hall of Fame QB made a pass that same way (and believe me, I love Kurt and what he did for the team) and it was a “pick six”. So Lindley did really well in my opionion. Had good poise, and would make the plays when he had too.

16. By cardsalltheway on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Lindley has a chance because of Kolb. K. Kolb should get his own doctor/2nd opinion, maybe he/she could find something more serious wrong with him to get him out of more preseason/practice/games like Beanie. K. Kolb doesn’t really want to compete, and why should he have to, he gets paid more than Beanie. K. Kolb has a boo boo, it hurts when he sneezes, coughs, or laughs his way to the bank. Why doesn’t anyone understand the seriousness of a deep tissue bruise? At least right now we know what is wrong with K. Kolb, we don’t even know the details of Beanie’s injury.

17. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Lindley had a nice start. I liked how he threw the ball away when he didn’t have anything. A couple of dropped passes didn’t help him. But overall, nice start to his pro career.

With that, I’m not sure I’m ready to make the Peter King reference and say he will be starting by mid-season. But if this season starts getting away from us, I could see him getting a couple of games at the end of the year.

The first name that popped in my head when I watched him was Trent Dilfer. He was careful, took what the defense gave him and threw the ball away when nothing was there.I would need to watch the INT again before passing judgment on that one. I could see him being a Whiz kind of guy.

He is exactly what I thought he was. A good talent to develop. I’m looking forward to seeing him more. To me, there is zero chance Bartel makes this team.

18. By joe67 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I said in another post, some of you think the only good qb is the next one we get. Whoever it is and whenever it happens, the new guy is THE MAN. Even D A had a good drive in Pre-season, got in the Red and let the drive die.
    We are one pre-seaon game in. Let things shake out. I would love for anyone of these four to step and come out of nowhere and become somethng special, like Brady did, but it doesn’t happen often. Lets just see what happens!!

19. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar;

Every guy out there is “Hungry” . Heck, watch Fitz or ADubs offseason work, look at the way williams came in, example after example.

Bartel is as hungry as anyone. The problem is the same problem I have, Not enough talent.(Although his talent is greater than mine.)

Kolb has the talent in shorts, but in the game, he doesnt trust his WRs to be where they should and his backs and lineman to pick up blitzes.(Ok, that is my perception- not fair to say that as fact) But watch him in the game; he waits for WRs to get open instead of throwing to spots, the play he got hurt, he left the pocket cuz he wasnt sure LSH would pick up the blitz.

Now watch Brees, Manning, and Brady. They have total trust in the guys around them. Thats what makes it such a thing of beauty. 11 guys doing there job. If Kolb is ever going to get better, he has to trust in the other 10 guys. (IMO)

20. By Cynicalogre on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I like what I saw from this kid. No way he makes it to the ps if he dosent make thr final 53. Some team will snatch him up. ….. A story on nfl.com that actually compliments the Cards… http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000047785/article/cardinals-holding-real-quarterback-competition-unlike-browns?module=HP11_content_stream

21. By clssylssy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I was curious about Lindley and thanks to the HOF Game we actually got to see him in action. I have to agree with the observation made that Skelton and Lindley seem to be “hungry” while Kolb seems comfortable and complacent. It looks like Lindley will be the Cards QB of the future, if only because he’s “fresh” and hasn’t been a victim of the QB controversy of the last two seasons. Haven’t see enough of Bartel yet, but so far he seems like an undeveloped talent that could be solid.

22. By Sir60 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

If Lindley continues to play, as he did against the Saints, he’s a keeper. I would say the same for Skelton and maybe Bartel. As I see it now, Kolb must beat out Bartel for a roster spot.

John the draft guy has it right. A true team leader must trust his team to do their job. If the trust isn’t there, he’s looking for an escape route instead of a reciever.

23. By cobra on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy,

I agree, Kolb is vary wary of the oline and rback blocking. I would be also. Not much has changed since Kurt Warner had to learn to fall down when overwhelmed by the pass rush coming at him. If he didn’t, it would end up a fumble or interception. He also stood in the pocket many times and payed the price, leading to his retirement. If blocking doesn’t improve soon, even Big John will eventually succumb to injury. Either way, you know as well as I do. We may need 3 QBs this year. One more thing, on the first throw of the game, who knows, maybe he was trusting his receiver to make a play? Yeah, I know, bad decision, yet if it was a throw at Fitz, maybe not an interception. As you also stated, he needs to be able to trust his receivers also!

cardsalltheway,

As alway’s, it’s none of your business if Beanie and Whiz wish not to reveal the true nature of Wells knee operation. I know, he has his reasons. Doubters in his toughness, and abililty such as you. I give him credit and support for that alone, not to mention his successs last season.

24. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

The consensus seems to be Lindley wouldn’t make it to the Cards practice squad because another team would claim him. (Isn’t there an unwritten rule between teams about waivered players they like?)
    But what experience would he get as a third stringer? He’d be better off to to stay on the PS and get reps and AZ can pay him whatever they feel is necessary. (Goes against the cap, of course.)
    Did we ever find out Darren, if Bartel was PS eligible?

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Bartel PS

We did not.

26. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Sorry about the misuse of a pronoun Darren. I tried to figure it out, but too complicated for a person of my ilk.
    Probably a better inquiry would have been what need would a 29 year old QB serve on a PS?

I think I may answered my own question.

27. By Kevin S on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Lindley looked good. Based only on what I saw in that game (which of course is not nearly enough), I’d keep him over Bartel. Bartel is a journeyman; as Darren says, Lindley could, someday, be a starter. Keep the guy with upside.

As far as Skelton/Kolb, I will say that Skelton should be ahead at this point (if we base our opinion, as fans will, primarily on what they saw in the Saints game — obviously we don’t see the guys in practice). But there’s a reason preseason isn’t one game long. Kolb threw a whopping 4 passes and Skelton threw 6. Let’s not get carried away. Yes, Kolb’s fragility is a concern. But if on Friday Skelton plays lousy and Kolb is able to play without his injury affecting him significantly and looks decent, then will the same fans writing off Kolb after less than a quarter of the HOF game acknowledge that the QB competition should continue?

28. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Kevin,

If Kolb plays well and Skelton doesn’t, that will mean we don’t have a QB.
    Inconsitantcy is what gets one QB starting then pulled for the other during the year.
    We need them both playing well and then make the correct choice.
    If we see one guy good and one guy bad, flip flopping all year, Peter King will be right and Lindley will come in and lead this team to a 6-10 record.

Here’s to hoping Skelton plays well enough to end this competition.

29. By iammattyoung on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Before we all get our panties in a bunch about Lindley, let’s remember that a couple of years ago we had a rookie who flashed in camp and in preseason, but never translated it into the regular season: Max Hall.

30. By Walter H Richters on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Iammattyoung, There is a little difference in 5’11’ 205lbs and 6′ 4″ 220lbs. I will wager that Lindley will be our future QB. How soon depends on John Skelton who still reminds me of Terry Bradshaw. Even his good nature is similar. Now……..lets see……….how many SB rings does Terry have? I do not see Kolb developing into a starting QB at this point. How many games did Kurt Warner play with a (wasn’t that a broken rib) sore ribcage. Anyway it was done last year by another premier QB and he came back in to win the game.

LINDLEY MAKES QUICK READS!!!!!!!! PERIOD. OH YES, AFTER HE MAKES A READ HE KNOWS HOW TO LEAD THE RECEIVER. :) Nuff said. Lindley reads what the defense gives him better at the stage he is at better than either Kolb or Skelton simply because they have had so many more reps than the kid. Lindley is going to be something special for someone. I do hope it is us.

31. By truths4all on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

It is easy to see in the ‘Aints game why Lindley was not drafted – he missed on every long pass he attempted and the receiver was open on everyone of those plays. To his credit, he made almost every short pass he threw, but that gets you nowhere in the NFL. Even in the West Coast Offense where it is 80% short to medium passes, the QB has to complete the long passes when his receiver is open. In college, Lindley produced a sub 55% completion rate (short,medium, and long passes against college talent) and he won’t succeed in the NFL unless he improves his accuracy against NFL defenders. BTW, Lindley has a significant experience advantage over Skelton, in that Lindley played against some of the top and most complex college pass defenses at SDS while Skelton played against slower and simpler junior college level pass defenses at Fordham.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

truths —

RE: Lindley

If you are telling truths, shouldn’t you know Lindley was a sixth-round pick?

33. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Walter H Richters ;

Come on, you have to be a little fair. I do not believe in Kolb and have criticized him several times including this blog. But to think he would come back in for preseason after an injury, not even Farve would do that.

I think Lindley has some good traits and I loved the way he looked that WR open that I mentioned above. But, I need to see a whole lot more before I would think he can compete as the starter. Lets not forget he miss Johnson deep down the sideline, overthrew TE Skelton down the middle and missed the guy on the flat before his INT, which he tried to force in. I like Lindley, but need to see so much more. But he does look like he has potential

34. By Kevin S on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

John (the draft guy), don’t get me wrong — I’m not saying I hope Kolb does well and Skelton doesn’t. I agree, I’d like to see them both do well. Would be a nice problem to have to choose between two QB’s that we both thought could lead this team vs. two (or three — as in the year w/ DA, Max Hall and the first-year Skelton) QB’s knowing that none of them would likely lead the team to many wins. All I’m saying is that I hope, if so many fans are willing to write off Kolb based on a half-quarter of the first preseason game and 4 total passes thrown, that he gets back in the mix in their minds if he does well — and particularly if he does well and Skelton does not. [And no, I'm not looking to re-start the debate about which was the better QB in 2011 which can be summarized as follows (K being what the Kolb supporters say, S the Skelton supporters)... K: Kolb had the better stats. S: Yeah, but Skelton got the wins. K: Yeah, but the defense was better in the 2nd half. Plus Skelton got lucky both with the schedule (e.g., two Rams games) and general karma (e.g., PP never goes 99 yards to win the first Rams game if Josh Brown's 42 yd FG doesn't get blocked). S: Yeah, but lucky or not, he did get those wins and that's all that matters. Plus he looks more like an NFL QB... better pocket presence, whereas Kolb looks like he's running scared. Plus LSH gave Kolb a similar lucky win in OT after Garrett called time out just as the game winning kick FG was being made in the Dallas game, so Kolb was lucky too. And so on and so on.]

35. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Kevin,
    I get your point. All of that goes back to my point that we need to use a first round draft pick on a QB.

36. By Walter H Richters on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

OK, Kevin and John the Draft guy: I do agree with both of you on many points. Let’s remember how many naysayers there were when we brought in Kurt Warner. Some said we brought in another old guy, others called him a NY reject etc etc etc. The same is happening to Kolb now. I do believe that Kolb “could be that guy” for us, but that is up to Kevin Kolb and his injury devils. He alone can learn to stay in the pocket for another two seconds, make the reads, learn to stop following his intended receiver with his eyes and look some defenders off, then set up and throw accurately. He has not stopped the happy feet yet and he sends a strong signal about where he is going. Having said that, I hope he makes good. Hes a nice guy and I hate to see anyone pull a Leinart on us. Only time will tell.

As for the topic of our post here, I go back a few years with the Cards. I remember each year getting hyped up whether it was over a new coach, new QB that was going to be our savior, new RB that was going to run over any and all defenders, etc etc etc. I’ve been that fan since 1962. I reserve the right to be wrong again after all the history. :) I also reserve the right to tell truths4all to get his facts right. :)
    If Kolb gets it right and IF I am right about Levi Brown and Kolb gets some protection, maybe he gets the nod and we go to the NFC championship. Whizenhunt is a scrappy winner. He will call a spade a spade even if it creates a Leinart situation and we end up with an Anderson I have to stand by the best coach we have had since “Air Coreyl” in the 70s. I would like to see the OLine gut it out and give Kolb 5 seconds every down.

All of us are a little worried, but I still think this is our year to go to the Super Bowl again. ALL OF THAT SAID, Linley has shown the one thing you have to have that can’t be coached. Guts and Poise. Another attribute is his quick mind. I like what I see and I’m in Lindley’s corner. Quick reads are the only thing Lindley does better than John and Kolb. LaRon Byrd is there, and Elders, as well as a few others but Lindley is going to start somewhere for some team some day. JMHO

37. By AztecRandy on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Cardinal fans. Quick observation from someone that watched Lindley play for 4 years in college. It is fact that he was a 6th round pick, but before his senior season he was projected as high as the 2nd round. It hurt him a lot that his top 2 receivers (Vincent Brown, Chargers and DeMarco Sampson, Cards) went to the NFL, but then he lost his top 3 returning WR’s to injury before the season started. His numbers struggled, but he still led us to a bowl game while breaking most of our career passing records. And we’ve always been a passing school (Don Coryell, Brian Sipe, Todd Santos, Dan McGwire, Billy Blanton).

Couldn’t watch the game tonight, but I did see the HOF game. It’s no secret that Ryan has the intangibles to be a successful NFL QB, but he was lacking a few things. One of them was extending the play by sensing pressure in the pocket. From what I saw on Sunday, he has worked very hard on this aspect of his game. He moved the pocket and extended multiple plays in the 4th quarter. In college he would have been sacked in those situations.

If I have one criticism it is that I’d still like to see him put a little more touch on his 15+ yard passes. A couple of those throws on the final drive could have been big plays or TD’s with a little air under the ball.

I won’t say that he’s the next Tom Brady, but given the proper grooming, Ryan has much more upside than any of the other QB’s on your roster.