The Cardinals finished their final practice of the week (there will be a walkthrough tomorrow) here in still humid St. Joseph. Some newsy nuggets after another day of work:
– QB Kevin Kolb was able to practice, including 11-on-11 work. Everything seems on target for him to be able to play Friday in relief of starter John Skelton. Before practice, coach Ken Whisenhunt said he was expecting Kolb, “unless he has a setback. He can throw it fine. He still has some issues with bruise inside. If that settles down, he’ll play.”
– Playing time will depend on various players’ health, but generally, Whiz said he plans on doling out the work the same as he did in the Hall of Fame game. I think quarterback-wise, it’d be great to get the top two guys 10 plays or so, or maybe one sustained drive. Obviously, Kolb needs one.
– Running back Ryan Williams still isn’t sure if he will play .(My gut — and no one has told me — says no one more week. Who knows though?) But he did say that working through his sore knee at practice isn’t just working through his rehabbed knee. The normal compensation an athlete makes with the rest of his body has impacted him too.
“My core is weak, my knee is weak, my back is weak, so it’s one of those things,” Williams said, smiling like always. “I go in the weight room and do extra every day. Wake up earlier than everybody, basically stay in the weight room longer. I just want to be good for the season.”
– Cornerback Greg Toler sat out practice. He’s had some knee soreness after rehab, going through the same things as Williams.
– Turns out the father of Williams — who is in prison — played high school football in upstate New York against Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli. Pioli figured that out talking to Williams before the 2010 draft, and then reached out to Williams’ father. I’ll have more on this story (and here it is).
– Defensive lineman Nick Eason is still not with the team, having been gone since last week to tend to his ill mother. Eason posted on Facebook last night his mom had passed away. Condolences to Nick, one of the best people on the roster.
Tags: Greg Toler, Kevin Kolb, Nick Eason, Ryan Williams, Scott Pioli
Posted in Blog | 37 Comments »