• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Tidbits after another humid practice

Posted by Darren Urban on August 8, 2012 – 2:51 pm

The Cardinals finished their final practice of the week (there will be a walkthrough tomorrow) here in still humid St. Joseph. Some newsy nuggets after another day of work:

– QB Kevin Kolb was able to practice, including 11-on-11 work. Everything seems on target for him to be able to play Friday in relief of starter John Skelton. Before practice, coach Ken Whisenhunt said he was expecting Kolb, “unless he has a setback. He can throw it fine. He still has some issues with bruise inside. If that settles down, he’ll play.”

– Playing time will depend on various players’ health, but generally, Whiz said he plans on doling out the work the same as he did in the Hall of Fame game. I think quarterback-wise, it’d be great to get the top two guys 10 plays or so, or maybe one sustained drive. Obviously, Kolb needs one.

– Running back Ryan Williams still isn’t sure if he will play .(My gut — and no one has told me — says no one more week. Who knows though?) But he did say that working through his sore knee at practice isn’t just working through his rehabbed knee. The normal compensation an athlete makes with the rest of his body has impacted him too.

“My core is weak, my knee is weak, my back is weak, so it’s one of those things,” Williams said, smiling like always. “I go in the weight room and do extra every day. Wake up earlier than everybody, basically stay in the weight room longer. I just want to be good for the season.”

– Cornerback Greg Toler sat out practice. He’s had some knee soreness after rehab, going through the same things as Williams.

– Turns out the father of Williams — who is in prison — played high school football in upstate New York against Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli. Pioli figured that out talking to Williams before the 2010 draft, and then reached out to Williams’ father. I’ll have more on this story (and here it is).

– Defensive lineman Nick Eason is still not with the team, having been gone since last week to tend to his ill mother. Eason posted on Facebook last night his mom had passed away. Condolences to Nick, one of the best people on the roster.

Tags: , , , ,

37 Responses to “Tidbits after another humid practice”

1. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Nick Eason;

I lost my Mom 2 years ago. The only way to say it is it sucks. Time doesnt make it better and Holidays are tough.
    My prayers are with you.

2. By T.Stone on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Have you ever heard Kevin Kolb talk like Ryan Williams did coming off of an injury? No. Kolb is a soft player with no game to back it up like Stafford in Detroit.
    Ryan Williams you are the man, thanks for taking care of business. I am Sick of this Kolb situation. He better come out and play lights out or Wiz should name the starter soon. Quit it already with the” he might be able to practice “and get into a preseason game. Farve and Manning, even Stoney Case rarely missed on the opportunity to start and I am pretty sure the ribs were hurting them or the finger was sore. What a sissy. Name the starter already please.

3. By Travis on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

In our thoughts Nick

4. By LadyCard04 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Condolences to the Eason family. I’m glad the Cardinals allowed him the time to spend with his mom and family. A long illness is so hard on the whole family and it’s nicer to be able to be together to lend each other strength. My prayers for Nick’s mom and his family.

5. By Louisville Card on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Did Williams practice against the chiefs? If he did how did he look? Did he take any hits?

Sorry for your loss Nick…

6. By hummer53 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Nick, what a beautiful picture on your Facebook page. Condolences to you and your family.

7. By Scott H on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Don’t know about Kolb being soft…BUT what worries me is that any injury to the ribs is one that – certainly for anyone playing QB in the NFL – tends to linger. And it’s already occured, a month before any games that will even count. Just another concern for a QB that already gives us plenty to be concerbed about where injuries are concerned.

I think I used the word concerned entirely too many times in that one sentence. Hope that doesn’t concern anyone.

8. By azfiremagoo on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

watching replay on NFLN an snyder looked pretty bad. Slow off the snap, looked like feet in mud, and just got shucked on a couple of the plays Kolb had to take off on. Was not impressed with him in SF and still not yet here. Need a better showing friday! Darren have u noticed him at camp?

9. By dean bower on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

so i just watched John Skeltons scoring drive from the hall of fame game.they ran the ball on almost every down. if you realy wanted your QB to get some PRACTICE would you run the ball so much? but what do i know im just a HUGE FAN OF MY ARIZONA CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By T.Stone on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

So sorry about that Mr. Eason. I’ve been though it and its tough. God Speed to ya. Prayers coming to your family for sure.

11. By T.Stone on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

it concerbed me Scott.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Javaris James and William Powell going to be able to play Friday?

How’s Darnell Dockett’s hammy?

13. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

First, I’m sorry for your loss, Nick. Stay strong, condolences to you and your family…

@ T. Stone

“Kolb is a soft player with no game to back it up like Stafford in Detroit”

Did you not see how Stafford did last season? Try 41 TDs, 5000+ yds, 97.2 rating, started all 16 games, 10 wins, and a playoff birth. Get a clue before you post, dude. Stafford’s not the best example to use in your tirade about Kolb…

@ Scott H.

I’m not concerned at all :)

14. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

cards replay on NFL network; A couple of things;

Massie is slow off the snap and gets beat on almost every pass play. I wonder when he got turf toe? Run plays, he looks OK. Is this guy a guard??

Gideon’s int was right in front of AJ Jefferson. AJ must of been thinking, I could have used that int.
    Long shot Gideon made several nice plays on runs also.

Just saw the play where Bethal missed the special teams tackle then next time he made the big hit. Man this kid is hard to block and he can fly.

Prime Time Deion Sanders said PP will be the #1 CB by the end of the year in the whole league.

Just watched a play Lindley completed a ball to Jamar Johnson. What was nice was Johnson was covered by 2 guys, Lindley glanced at the back coming out of the backfield and one defender bit and Lindley threw it in the open window. That is a vet move.

Just watched Massie get beat again and Lindley threw ball away. Nice move. On 3rd and 6, he hits Jamar for what could have been a TD but Jamar dropped the ball.
    Lindley is more impressive the second time watching.

Quan Sturdavant is terrible on special teams.

I mentioned that Quinton Groves was a bust as a DE but was more fit for OLB a few weeks ago. He is making play after play. Haggins, Groves, Acho, Schofield might be the 4 OLBs.

Potter got beat bad on an inside move but then played well I thought.

OK this is getting too long

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Williams

I think he was in there yes but I don’t think he was in there for 11-on-11.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

azfire –

RE: Snyder

I haven’t watched much of him, unfortunately.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Powell

Dockett practiced today. Powell played against the Saints.

18. By scott023 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Nick I am so sorry and to the entire Eason family my deepest condolences. There are no words for this. I know your mother is very proud to have a son like you. All of you are in my prayers tonite, god bless you all.

19. By Mark on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

My Condolences Go To Nick #98. :(

20. By John the draft guy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

OK my favorite draft pick this year is Bethal. I know Darren mentioned this, but I just watched him block a FG and almost blocked a punt after the two nice plays on gunner.

Maybe we should trade down for extra 6th round picks; Lindley and Bethal this year, David Carter in 2011

I really like Ronald Talley. This kid can play in this league.

I noticed David Carter played a lot of D-End, which I feel is his natural position. OK, I’ll throw this out there, at 31 and a huge salary, Dockett needs a big year this year.Yep, I said it.

21. By AzCardsFan911 on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

@kdubadub- i think tstone was saying that stafforrd had some injury concerns going into last season but he backed it up with those amazing #’s not that kolb and stafford are similar.

I hope Skelton plays lights out on friday and runs away with the job so there is no doubt who our QB is

22. By johnnybluenose on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

scott h, i was concerned that you would not be concerned that others would be concerned. i’m no longer concerned and i just want to thank you for your concern. kdubadub 1324, i did not interpret t.stone’s comments as a knock on stafford. i think he was implying that stafford has played well through injuries unlike kolb. but i may be incorrect in my interpretation. perhaps i should be concerned. as for deion sanders, as much as i like peterson, i don’t pay much attention to anything prime time says.

23. By cobra on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Some people pay attention, and some don’t. Please don’t mix football with the loss of a Loved one. I know your trying to get the newsy stuff out there. The problem is, the cards season has nothing to do with it.

If you send the cards fans a message regarding personal matters to this extent, then please, let’s do a separate article.

I know you work hard Darren. The problem is, I see people show sympathy for the loss of a players loved one, then show their fangs in a later comment in regards to someone wno is still alive.

Maybe it’s time for the cards fans to come together, instead of arguing and fighting.

All of us always say we have to work together as a team and how proud we are of our players, not only as as players, but also as an everyday person.

As of now, if our players read all of our blog, well, they would probably be very dissapointed in our support.

24. By Dennis on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I think Ryan Williams is over doing it with weight training twice a day. If he feels weak maybe he isn’t letting his muscles recoup after a workout. The last thing we want is for him to get injured before the seasons starts. Keep him out at least a couple more weeks and let him get stronger.
    Let Beanie rest longer as well.

25. By Suspence716 on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

@KdubAdub- I agree with you about Stafford, don’t know what that guy is talkin about stafford bein soft like kolb. Rememberf when stafford went in with a dislocated shoulder, threw a touchdown to win the game n then came runnin of the field holdin his messed up shoulder… It was incredible, one of the most “tough it out” type plays i’ve ever seen. For those of you thinking Kolb isn’t soft, try again…. The guy gets a thigh bruise n he’s off the field, gets a chest bruise he’s on the sidelines. Remember when Tony Romo broke three ribs, put on a flack jacket n came back a week later? I mean come on Kolb,Tony Romo, the golfer, is tougher than you?!?!? Us cardinals fans hate that guy n he makes Kolb look as soft as a jar of baby food!

26. By Flyover on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

It’s interesting that some folks from Arizona called it a “humid” practice. I’m from St. Joseph, MO, and have lived here for 43 years. This is the driest and least humid summer I can recall. We are in a catastrophic drought. If you thought this was humid, I would hate to have heard your thoughts a few years ago! It felt like a sauna to ME!

27. By cardsalltheway on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

AzCardsFan911,
    Matthew Stafford’s 6 year deal was for $72 million, with $41.7 million guaranteed. The contract could be worth as much as $78 million if Stafford achieves all of his playing incentives. I know K. Kolb isn’t nearly as good as M. Stafford but he does get paid almost as well.

28. By Marcelof on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

by watching the HOF game I just say we may not have an outstading team the upcoming season but drafting the remaning piece on next year’s draft in the first round we sure gonna be at the top of NFC – but aside of it, we DO need to have a QB.

29. By John the draft guy on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Cobra,
    We come to this blog because we love and support this team. Many people making comments are passionate about this team winning. Many of us pay lots of money to support this team.

We argue and complain because we care about the decisions this team makes and when they do something we disagree with, we voice our opinion.

Hate to break it to everyone, but Coach Whiz doesn’t base what he is going to do from reading the blog. If Kolb’s confidence is shaken from reading the comments here, he is more fragile then people think.

I say to the players, if you don’t want to be criticised, play better.We are you customers and we expect more.This isn’t high school or even college.
    If players are disappointed at reading this blog, well they need to understand their paying customers are disappointed in their production. When you perform well, you are paid millions and get the praise of the entire city (ala Lary Fitz). When you take 19 million and don’t perform, expect to get criticized. (The larger my salary is, the more is expected of me. If I don’t perform, they will replace me with someone who will take less.)

So, people, keep complaining and arguing.Keep writing oposing positions. I find it all interesting and a nice escape from things like losing your mom (like I did) or other daily trials.

30. By brad oneill on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Nick you got it right brother, sorry to hear about your loss but being there for your mom and family is a special sacrifice and a reward in its own way. hope to see you back soon.

31. By Eric Y on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Damn. If you ever read these, Nick Eason, I am sorry for your loss.

32. By T.Stone on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

No need to make a fuss. But AzCardsfan and others interpreted my post correctly. Been a while since my creative writing class. Cards should go out now and sign Aeneas Williams and Deion Sanders to cover those old goats that the Niners and Seahawks signed as receivers. What’s Next, Jerry Rice to the Rams? Go Cards

33. By Dynosoar on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Suspense716,

“Soft as a jar of baby food.” I’m gonna laugh all night!

I liked Kolb in Philly and loved when Fitz wanted him hear. I’ll wait to see what happens, (as I love Skelton and if the HofF games an indication I see no end of good from Lindley) but a jar of baby food. That’s the best line I’ve heard in, well, forever.

ps. I’m thrilled T.O’s in Seattle. That’s two more games I won’t worry about anymore.

34. By cobra on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy,

Not going to say much on this one:

I lost my Mom also, but this isn’t the place to show your frustration. If I could, I would buy you a couple of drinks and talk about it. I can see how much interest you have in the coming season. Keep your comments coming, they are usaually pretty good.

35. By Suspence716 on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren U- Keep up the good work. I like reading about the cardinals whether its a personal matter or football. I love my az cardinals n when I hear about some of their personal life I think it helps me connect a little more with who that player actually is… That they are not just a guy with a number in a uniform.

36. By clssylssy on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Buddy Ryan once said, “If you listen to the fans, you will soon find yourself sitting amongst them”…I don’t think Coach Whiz or any of the players read our comments OR if they do, let fan comments influence the way they do their job.
    When it comes down to it, the organization will do what is in it’s best interest because it’s a business. I personally get sick of the excuses made for Kolb but have nothing against him personally and understand the organization has a ton of money tied up in him. Elite athletes don’t make excuses, they are always working to be better and improve–they compete against themselves to reach the next level. Preseason is a time for evaluation of players and nothing to get in a twist about–it doesn’t count; it’s tryouts! I’m more concerned about keeping our players healthy for the regular season and getting some real referees back in time for the real deal. What I’ve seen so far of the scabs has been deplorable and if the league is REALLY concerned about player safety and protecting the integrity of the game they will settle this referee nonsense immediately!

37. By Scott H on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

johnnybluenose -

Damn, that was funny! Few people can pick up the ball and run with it like you did there. Nice!!!

And I can only be concerned by the fact that some poeple were concerned and others had no concerns at all. But I shall have no further comment on these concerns until or unless there is anything more to be concerned about.