• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Thursday before the Chiefs

Posted by Darren Urban on August 9, 2012 – 3:25 pm

The last stage of the training camp week away from training camp is over.

(It reminds me of one of the great George Carlin’s comedy bits of being on vacation and then going to another place while gone. “Supply lines become longer and harder to maintain!”)

I’m thinking it’s being embraced by the roster, after a couple of days in Canton (staying an hour away from the Hall of Fame), a trip to St. Joseph, Mo., for more dorm life, and now this trip into Kansas City for Friday night’s game against the Chiefs. What’s it been like? “Honestly, it’s been hell,” guard Daryn Colledge said, in the way only he can.

Colledge saw the joint practice with the Chiefs kind of like a game, so “we’ll end up with another one so that’s three in five days. The bed (at the dorm) is made up of a pallet with sandpaper on it and my sheet is similar to a dryer sheet. Hey, it’s not been the greatest stop in my life. There is a part of me looking forward to get back to Flagstaff. But it’s been good. The school has excellent facilities to practice and play in, everyone was nice. It was a good stop overall.”

Never thought I’d hear a player happy to be going back to Flagstaff. First though, there is the game against the Chiefs.

– We’ll see if Kevin Kolb plays at quarterback, but this will be John Skelton’s first start and that’s a big deal. Skelton hasn’t had the greatest of first-quarter showings. He looked steady in his 94-yard touchdown drive last week. That’d be huge if he could do that again.

– Watching the defense try to bang with Chiefs running back Peyton Hillis, the man is a load when he hits into the line. Considering the Cards struggled with tackling last game, he will be a test.

– As I have mentioned before, and this is my guess only, I’d think Ryan Williams won’t play one more week. But I’ll admit I won’t be shocked if he does.

– On the road I didn’t get a chance to re-watch last week’s game. I’ve had a lot of fans do so and talk about the offensive line, about guard Adam Snyder and tackle Levi Brown and mistakes they might have made. I’m going to try and watch the unit more this game. It, like the entire offense, could benefit from a faster start.

– If you haven’t seen it, there’s a good story about the friendship between Williams and Chiefs GM Scott Pioli.

– There weren’t any scuffles in the joint practice this week. But a couple years ago, when there were some between the Cards and Titans in their joint practice, that came after the two teams played. Maybe the reverse will be true this time.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Thursday before the Chiefs”

1. By Soares20 on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Go Kolb. Go Skelton.Go Cards!! I hope both Qb’s tear it up

2. By Stewart Badly on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Corn in the Kolb needs to retire, he sucks

3. By Stewart Badly on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Send Corn in the Kolb back to the Sheagles, Vick got hurt,. Send him back with his Daddy Andy Reed

4. By Stewart Badly on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

RG3 —1 possesion, 4 for 6, 70 yards, 1 TD

KK—-3 possesions, 1for 4, 4 yards, 1 INT

I rest my case

5. By Stewart Badly on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

If Corn in the Kolb can’t play then Skelton is up 2-0 with 3 games remaining. I think this puts Skelton very close to be named the starter. GO CARDS

6. By tucsteve on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

i just want a good quarterback for the az cardinals this christmas

7. By Chuck 1 on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

A summary of the game against the “Aint’s IMHO. (Late because I wanted to watch the DVR of the game before I commented): Off topic, but here goes.

Terrible tackling. But, the “Aint’s appeared to have no problem tackling. That discredits the Cards’ excuse of the new “Flag Football rules” that protects the players.

Same old, same old OL play (see Kolb’s running for his life; I understand that he has a problem with “happy feet”): Why not draft dominant OLinemen earlier? Oh, I know. Draft defensive players If the opponents can’t score, the Cards can’t lose. LOL (As an aside, I agree. Levi was not a dominant OLineman @ #5; shows Graves’, Keim’s and Grimm’s poor evaluation of talent)

First team defense exposed against the “Aint’s first team offense. Is Horton really a genius as some believe?

Kolb exposed as a giant talent and $$$$$$$$ mistake by Graves, Keim and Whiz.

Chase Daniels shreds the Cards’ second string (?) defense; Why not draft a quality QB, instead of waiting until the last couple of rounds? Don’t the Cards need a “Franchise” QB? (Memo to Graves, Keim and Whiz; Skelton and Lindley are NOT “Franchise” QBs)

8. By William Barry on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

It will be great to see how Skelton plays, and if Ryan Williams plays, if he does. It will be great to see how the cards line and defense plays this week.

Some thoughts on last week:

1.Some poor tackling, (but that is expected in week 1 preseason)

2. Skelton looked good last week.

3. Quinton Groves played exceptionally well last week. Ronald Talley played well too. One of our punts went 79 yards! Stewart Bradley played well. We will see how the competition between Lennon and Bradley plays out.

9. By Dre on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

D good story on r dub. Hope John has a fast start and the d wraps up

10. By Skiptim on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

@ Stewart Badly

Aaron Rodgers – 3 possessions, 2 of 8, 16 yards, 1 INT

11. By T.Stone on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

Skelton should do fine. Kolb better hope he gets to play or its over for him. Rest Williams please. This should be Levi’s last chance also. Get it together or get on down the road.

12. By johnnybluenose on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

i never thought i would think this let alone post and risk ridicule but with our qb situation unsettled maybe we should have made a pitch for brett favre. i know he didn’t play last year but i think he expressed an interest in both the atlanta and chicago jobs at the end of last season when their qbs went down so he must still have some desire to play. i’m sure he can still throw and with our receivers as good as they are i think he could do well. we were willing to push hard to get manning and we all know he didn’t play last year either. it’s too late now but with kolb unimpressive to date i would be feeling better with favre this year and then skelton next year than i am feeling right now. like all of you i am hoping for the best but it’s hard for me to feel confident about our qbs at the moment.

13. By Marcelof on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Skelton is a prospect, he just need an improved O-line

For the record, there may be another reasons, but Manning didn’t land here coz he was aware of Arizona’s OL.

14. By Rich on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Hey……how ’bout a little positive spirit………it was just an early, extra pre-season game, for heaven’s sake! Give the boys a chance to come into the season properly. Good news is no significant injuries so far. We’re going to be fine…………

15. By Dynosoar on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1,

Not questioning you, just questioning for understanding. I haven’t followed Chase Daniels real closely, but has he ever said anything positive about the Cardinals? If he has, I’ve missed it.

16. By Dynosoar on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Tonight, tonight, tonight. Aaaah!

I was watching games last night and no team looked all that polished, regardless of score. Exceptions, Vick’s possible replacement and Atlanta’s first team (three trips to the red zone and two TDs, not bad, but it’s pre-season.)

As much as I love football, pre-season is just a scrimage. Some teams game plan, most do not. Play calling on both sides are pretty vanilla, don’t want to give our first couple of opponents too much tape to watch.

We get to see some big plays from players that are scrimaging. Oh, theres a few exceptions (positional battles), but it’s still a scrimage. I’ll enjoy it and hope our team plays healthy tonight.

Go Cards!

Played New Orleans last game and I’m trusting we’ll play in New Orleans for the last game. That’d be sweet!

17. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Stewart Badley,
    “Send Corn in the Kolb back…”
    With the drought this year there won’t be much corn on the cob. Got that? It’s “on” the cob not “in” the cob.

Skiptim,
    @ Stewart Badly
    “Aaron Rodgers – 3 possessions, 2 of 8, 16 yards, 1 INT”

Mr. Rodgers played against a team(Saints) that already played its first game. I would think we should have an advantage against the Chiefs with a game under our belt. If there isn’t a vast improvement with the D-fence I’ll be disappointed but not surprised.

18. By cardsalltheway on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

As for our offense with J. Skelton, I wish him the best as I always have even though I can’t help but have sympathy for him given his past and present situation(doesn’t get 100% support from you know who, not even as much as rookie QB’s on other teams). He won’t have an easy time with our OL and the K.C. D-fence…
    The K.C. Chiefs defense ranked 6th against the pass last year and 26th against the rush.
    “The Chiefs have acquired the pieces to puzzle together a top-notch NFL defense. Even more importantly, Kansas City enters the 2012 season stacked with key returners.
    Of the 11 projected starters, eight have spent multiple seasons with the Chiefs.
    The defense can’t take much of the blame for a disappointing 7-9 season last year, a regression from 2010’s playoff trip. The players won’t shy away from the expectations of fielding a defense prepared to carry Kansas City back to the postseason.
    “We have confidence,” Chiefs fifth-year defensive end Glenn Dorsey said. “We have a lot of guys coming back, a lot of guys got healthy. We want to build on what we did last year. We feel like we had the right guys in the right places.”
    The Chiefs’ projected base defense features 10 players who have spent their entire career with Kansas City.
    They have combined for 426 starts in a Chiefs uniform — the equivalent of nearly 27 NFL seasons. Eight of those players account for the majority: linebacker Tamba Hali (95 starts), linebacker Derrick Johnson (93), Dorsey (61), cornerback Brandon Flowers (59), linebacker Jovan Belcher (34), defensive lineman Tyson Jackson (31), safety Kendrick Lewis (26) and safety Eric Berry (26). Berry’s torn ACL cost him the final 15 games of 2011 and limits those numbers.”

19. By Andy Kw on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Skelton did well in the HOF game and he did well in the practices against the Chiefs. I don’t know what to say but I believe Whiz will be naming the starter very soon. This is my prediction of the Starters and the Final Roster:

QB *John Skelton, K. Kolb, R. Bartel
    RB *Beanie Wells/R. Williams, LSH, A. Smith, A. Sherman
    WR *Larry Fitzgerald, *M. Floyd, A. Roberts, E. Doucet, D, Sampson, L. Byrd
    TE Todd Heap, *R. Housler, J. King, J. Dray
    OL *Lyle Sendlein, *A. Snyder, *D. Colledge, *L. Brown, B. Massie, *J. Bridges, D. Batiste, Senio Kelemete
    DL *Calais Campbell, *D. Dockett, *D. Williams, D. Carter, N. Eason, V. Holliday
    LB *Daryl Washington, *O. Schofield, *S. Acho, *P. Lenon, S. Bradley, C. Haggans, R. Walker
    DB *Patrick Peterson, *W. Gay, *K. Rhodes, *A. Wilson, J. Sanders, G. Toler, J. Fleming, J. Bethel, R. Johnson, M. Adams
    ST *Jay Feely, *D. Zastudil, *M. Leach

I believe there is a TE battle going on and so far, Rob Housler has performed but if Heap performs well against KC, then he will win the job but until then, Housler is my favorite to win. Massie struggled a lot against the Saints so I believe Bridges will win but I will probably be wrong.

Cut: DE Landon Cohen, *WR Stephen Williams, DE Ronald Talley, *#LB Quentin Groves, LB Antonio Coleman, LB Brandon Williams, P Ricky Schmitt, RB Thomas Clayton, RB Jarvarris James, G Russ Hochstein, WR Jaymar Johnson, *#CB A.J Jefferson, G Rich Ohrnberger
    * Might or might not make the roster.
    -Groves will wow the coaches but with all of the linebackers the cards have, he might not make the cut. A.J Jefferson will probably make the team but looking at all of the DB options the cards have, he might lose his job to Jamell Fleming. Stephen Williams will probably be challenging L. Byrd for the final Wide Receiver spot but because of injuries and questions, Byrd will probably win. DeMarco will probably be in the mix as well but DeMarco was a huge prospect out of San Diego state and he has shown that he got a lot of talent. DeMarco should be back to full power and he will perform.

PS: *TE Steve Skelton, *QB Ryan Lindley, DB B. Gideon, *LB Quan Sturdivant, *#T Nate Potter,
    * Will probably be activated in the middle of the season if not be back fighting for a spot on the final roster of the 2013 season.

I believe there will be many surprising cuts at the end of the season but I believe this is the team.

It is so hard to decide who is going to be on the team when preseason isn’t over yet. I got 52 on the final roster right now but the last spot will probably be between Nate Potter, Groves, and Jefferson. Here are the percentage chance of either one of these players making the final spot:
    LB Quentin Groves 40% -They were in need of a LB and he can tackle.
    T Nate Potter 38% -Big necessity for this team and he is a future starter.
    CB A.J Jefferson 22% -Too many DBs on this team. His chances are really slim.

20. By drstiegler on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Rich. Everyone just settle down. It is the 1st preseason game. Anyone remember Troy Aikman? His first season was 1-15 with tons of picks. our John skelton has played 16 games total and he has been significantly better than Troy. He has poise and all the intangibles so lets just get him the experience and then ride the wave. He is going to be a very good quarterback for the Redbirds if he gets the chance. My prediction is that this season is totally dependent on the Defense, if we are top 5 then we will make the playoffs and make a splash. If the defense struggles then we don’t. Fitz, Beanie and RW will cancel out the inconsistent QB play and we will be average on offense. Also, look for our special teams to be special this year and actually they will win us a few games. W.D.T.T. (We Do This Together!) Go Big Red.

21. By Mike T on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Carlin was the best! Miss that guy!

22. By Walter H Richters on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Dr. Steigler:

I think you may be right about Skelton. Going back before Troy, check out Terry Bradshaws first couple of seasons stats. If I remember right he now has four SB rings on his mantle. He did have the “Steele Curtain” but we have the players for that type of defense too, and right now. I also think we have the DC for that type of defense. I don’t expect too much to be shown tonight at KC but I do expect a good showing when we play Oakland. Oakland is predicted way above us this year and I think that is flat wrong. Only time and pre-season practice will tell us what to expect but it is fun to speculate. Glad to see you all on here doing just that too. GO CARDS

23. By Soares20 on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

I think we all can agree here that Bradley needs to get another sack so we can see that dance again!

24. By Sir60 on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

The thing about pre-season games is that they don’t count. Most teams, in preseason, don’t play as a team, but as individuals. They want to get noticed, especially rookies and veterans on the cusp, once you get past the first teamers. I would like to see rookie skill players, QB, RB, WR and TE, springled in with the first team. I think this would be a more effective tool for evaluating rookie talent especially QB and WR. A rookie QB may look great against another teams 2nd or 3rd stringers but how does he do against their first team defense.

Our defense worked in the second half last season because everyone knew their job and had the discipline to stay with the plan. Trying to evaluate them in preseason is fruitless. Now is the time to evaluate indivduals.

25. By john the draft guy on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Andy KW

Cant see Bartel beating out Lindley

Cant see us keeping 4 TEs, if Heap gets hurt, bring Skelton up from practice squad.

We will keep at least 4 OLBs. you only have 3.

So drop Dray and add Groves

As for the players, I would say you have 48-50 right and there will 3 surprises.

You went bold with percentages this early in preseason.

Walter;
    I see your Bradshaw comments and I like Bradshaw and he deserves his HOF. But those teams were so dominate (look at how many are HOFers). I’m not sure if Alex Smith couln’t have QBed those teams. Dominate defense, run Franco left, run Franco right. Bring up the safeties and hit 2 HOF wrs deep while being protected by HOF lineman. Yeah, not a bad gig for Bradshaw.

26. By john the draft guy on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar;

Yeah the Eagle back up QB?? Arizona’s Nick Foles. He looked awesome for his first start.

Skiptim and Stewart Badley;
    I don’t think anyone is in panic in GB over Rodgers slow start.

johnnybluenose;
    yeah, the Farve thing should have been kept to yourself :)

Chuck 1;
    you do have some points (posted in a very negative and angry way).

The cards have chsen 1 QB (Leinart) in the first round since arriving in the valley in 1988.

Our OLine has struggled for many years, but is that the QB or the lineman?? They seemed OK with Warner.

Poor tackling? yeah but that will be improved as they do it more.

Finally, Horton isnt showing anything the Seahawks can use and have on film. These games mean nothing, he wants that first game against a divisional rival.Look for the Chiefs to do well also.

27. By Peter in Canada on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

John the Draft Guy – Don’t totally agree re Bradshaw. In the first two SB’s you are right. By the late 70′s the defence was nothing like what it once was. I think the offence won the last two SB’s

Johnny Bluenose – I can’t believe you haven’t had any negative comments about picking up Favre. They must be all sleeping in Arizona.

28. By AzDesertRat1953 on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

WoW! Some of you want those Wins Now!
    Well I think I will wait it out till the last pre-season game before I start with a list I Think will work, of course none of us have much of an insight as to what goes on behind closed doors, well except for Darren.

I will say this, if Skelton comes out and does what he did Sunday night and keeps doing it, Mr. Kolb your Ship Is Going To Hit The Sand, Hard!

TV is warmed up I am ready for some FootBall!!!

GO CARDS!!!

29. By Shooter on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

I think this could be a final test for Kolb. Why? Because he is expected to be a starter, and tonight he will be going against the backups and guys fighting for a spot. This will show where his talent level really is.

If he struggles here, against guys that don’t have as much experience or knowledge of the NFL game, he is done.

30. By Skiptim on Aug 10, 2012 | Reply

@ john the draft guy

I know no one is in a panic about Aaron Rodgers. That was my point. Stewart Badly was arbitrarily selective over which preseason stats he wanted to highlight to make his point, when really, it is way too early to come to any concrete/rational conclusion.

31. By johnnybluenose on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

peter in canada, if they were sleeping they were probably having nightmares about our qb situation. the real games start in four weeks. who is our qb? and, did our defence get complacent after finishing 7 and 2 last year? i think we should contact joe kapp and angelo mosca to see if they want to play for us this year.