Chiefs aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 10, 2012 – 11:41 pm

It was a little play, certainly not the end-all-be-all of the game. But the Cards had opened with one quick first down and thought they’d have another facing a third-and-1 on their opening drive. Alfonso Smith instead got snowed under for a two-yard loss.

The play was blocked wrong, coach Ken Whisenhunt said. In technical terms, the offense should have treated a safety in the box as a linebacker. It wasn’t an exact play the Cards had had a chance to run before, but the scheme was sound and the play generally had been practiced. “You’d like to think we are sharp enough we could make the adjustment because we talked about it,” Whisenhunt said. “That’s part of preseason but when there are enough of those, it becomes frustrating. Because you feel like you are a better team than you showed.”

In a nutshell, the Cards feel like they are better than they showed against the Chiefs. It didn’t matter in the final score, however, and it didn’t make some of the rough spots look any better. Larry Fitzgerald probably put it best:  “It wasn’t pretty today by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t know what it is but we have to get it fixed and get it fixed pretty quickly.”

– It did look like John Skelton felt comfortable but in the end, there wasn’t much to show for his start. For a moment, it looked like the interception might be a completion to Fitz. There isn’t much difference between good and bad, however. Kevin Kolb also probably should have had better numbers, but the protection broke down once or twice. It doesn’t feel like either man has separated in this race.

– Ryan Lindley did a nice job on the last 30 seconds before the half and led a touchdown drive. I like the kid and he’s going in the right direction. But let’s not crown anyone yet. Lindley’s development isn’t going to go any faster even if fans think he’s better than the top two guys. We can argue about it being too early for the veterans as we go. For a rookie sixth-round quarterback, it’s way too early.

– The starting defense didn’t do well. They know.” It can look a certain way right now,” safety Kerry Rhodes said, and that way is bad. But there didn’t seem to be a concern by anyone on that side of the ball. “There will be a difference when we gameplan,” Rhodes said. The first drive was tough, though. Better tackling, but the Chiefs just kept getting first downs. Got to get off the field.

– Here’s why you get gun-shy about making grand pronouncements. LaRon Byrd had a good game – even Whisenhunt said so – and his three catches for 33 yards, all at the end of the first half, got the Cards a field goal. Good stuff, right? Sort of. Whisenhunt said Byrd was supposed to run a diagonal and would have been open in the flat but ran the wrong route and “left our quarterback out to dry.”

“You see the big plays and you think he has a good game but one of the small things happens and the quarterback keeps the ball in his hand because he’s looking to throw and LeRon isn’t there,” Whisenhunt said.

– Along those same lines, Skelton admitted he called the wrong play in the huddle on his first drive. For an offense fighting to execute as it is, mental errors are killers.

– William Powell had his 29-carry game last year in the preseason, and 92 yards rushing (on nine carries) Friday night. He broke 100 all-purpose yards including his nine-yard reception. Even without a 67-yarder by Powell, the Cards still ran for 86 yards on 23 carries, which wasn’t bad.

– Rookie cornerback Jamell Fleming made a nice play to tackle a running back for a loss and also broke up a pass that ended up being intercepted by teammate Rashad Johnson. That’s a plus.

– Adrian Wilson absolutely lit up Chiefs receiver Terrance Copper on an incompletion early in the game. Wilson lowered the boom, but – correctly, I think – no flag was thrown because Wilson used his shoulder, went into Copper’s chest and didn’t leave his feet. He did, however, probably leave a mark. Hopefully the league sees it as clean too.

– Whiz didn’t want it to be an excuse, but it did seem like the Cards were like an NBA team at the end of a long road trip, out of gas. Don’t know if that was true or not, but the vibe was there.

– Finally, Ryan Williams did not play. Not a surprise. He and Beanie did dress for warmups though. They are getting closer.

This trip is over. Time to fly home tomorrow (later today?) and get back to some normalcy.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

68 Responses to “Chiefs aftermath”

1. By Mark on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Michael Adams got schooled again. Dexter McCluster made him look bad. Thats two games in a row. I hope Toler, Fleming or Aj Jeffreson get a chance at the nickle corner spot. Man Winston looked good for the Chiefs, but hey we got Snyder and Bridges. The Chiefs Nose tackle sure made Sendlein look bad a few times, unlike Dan Wiliams who gets no push.

2. By CodyZarr on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

The Wilson hit is now my desktop image.

Clean hit, Copper is okay and well… We already know ADub is a beast.

3. By JT on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

As a fan you can understand that things won’t always go the way they are drawn up. That it can get ugly. Games don’t count, no game planning.Vanilla schemes. Here’s what I don’t understand. How can the fundamental things like blocking and tackling be so weak for this team? The team plays disorganized and such a struggle to get everyone blocking or running the same play or scheme on both sides of the ball. They can’t keep their heads in the game. Looks like the main probs all on the mental side.

The Individual plays are about the only time a player seems to shine. when they try to play as a team there is usually some kind of break down from someone from somewhere that leads to a first down for the defense or a negative play on offense. You look at it and think there must be some sort of lack of communication out there. I know they can block and tackle. They are better then this! The one thing that sticks with me is I know they’re better then this but this seems to happen more often on the road. The Cards have had more struggles on the road then I care to remember. Young teams seem to improve at home and work on getting better on the road. Cards haven’t played at home yet and I have some optimism they will indeed play more like a well functioning team at home.

However that’ won’t be much consolation to me yet. I will continue to be disappointed until they solve their apparent disconnect with each other out on the road where they play the other 8 games. “We are many -Play as one” Please they need to take their own mantra to heart out on the road with them. Individually they ARE better then this!

4. By clssylssy on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

In retrospect, this morning, it doesn’t seem as bad as it looked last night. Glad to hear Kerry Rhodes’s pronouncement about the defense at the start…lol! I thought maybe our killer D from last year had missed the bus except for Adrian Wilson who didn’t get the memo…lol! Skelton looked good. He was solid and unwavering and extended the play. He had some good passes and I thought the interception was a good call..Larry usually gets those… this time he was nano second too slow and the Chiefs had him wrapped up in coverage. Kolb looked better this week because he managed to last his entire short series without injury. Lindley looked great and Bartel looked like a crash test dummy but was able to withstand the punishment and still advance the ball,shows grit and tenacity. Everybody is out of place and so it’s hard to know what the final product will look like. I loved William Powell’s performance and LaRon Byrd and some of the other new young guys gave me a lot of hope for the direction this team is going. Several things people won’t take into consideration, and just occurred to me: are our team has been on the road for about two weeks, is road weary and the humidity and heat in the midwest, especially Kansas City, and westerm Missouri, is terrible–sucks the energy right out of a person in nothing flat. They seemed slow because they were draggin. In the winter, the cold goes to the bone and stays, and in the summer a person sweats so much, dehydration is always right around the corner; the climate in the midwest is deceiving. I think the past two weeks have been great learning tools and after the guys have a chance to rest and review the tapes, will makes necessary fixes in Flagstaff. We will see an entirely different picture when they play in Phoenix against the Raiders. Good work guys, and thank you Coach Whiz for the extra opportunities. WE DO THIS TOGETHER! GO CARDS!

5. By red rum on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Lindley is the new Skelton. Here we go again. Its true what they say about the back-up quarterback being the most popular guy on the team. Fans should think about that when they start calling for Lindley to start under center.

Both Skelton and Kolb looked awful, but then again with no starting running backs in the mix its hard to really determine the effectiveness of the offense.

Why does it seem like as soon as Kolb enters the game, the offensive line immediately breaks down?

6. By Aurora on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Umm. I think you meant “crown” rather than “coronate”.

7. By brad oneill on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

guys were complaining about the dorms, the beds, complaining about the heat of the practices and overall just looked like a preschool that missed nap time. the best part of the whole game was Wolf on TV. I love that guy and his goofy sometimes hit and sometimes miss analogies. the fistfight in an outhouse was great. the fifth pea out of a four pea pod not so much but still fun.

8. By Bill Grimm on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

That game reminded me of the first seven games of last year. This team is much better than that. Maybe they’ll get all their losses out of the way in pre-season and go on a run like the last nine games. I certainly hope so.

9. By Frank the Tank on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Not readin too much into this game, thought the entire team wasnt ready to play and who could blame them, two preseason games in five days was a little much (The Saints didn’t look particularly crisp either) week 3 and 4 will determine this QB battle, wouldnt be surprised to see Skelton in one first half and Kolb in the other. Still giving the slight edge to Skelton right now based on what I’ve seen and heard.

10. By George on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

There is a big issue with Mike Adams…. GREAT special teams player and has the heart of a lion… but he CANNOT be our starting nickel corner, especially with the talent we have at cornerback. He keeps getting constantly abused by receivers. I’m rooting for the guy to stay, but use him in special teams were he works best Hope Whiz can see that.

11. By BIG RED on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

IWhat I see, is when something goes wrong with kolb as the QB, the excuse is the line didn’t block well. As for instant when Skelton threw the pass to Fitz and was intercepted it was JS fault, but the way I see it Fitz could have come back for it. I blame Fitz on that one.

12. By John C on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

“It doesn’t feel like either man has separated in this race.” I don’t know what games you’re watching or why you’re so pro-Kolb all the time. I thought Skelton was mediocre last year compared to now. He looks confident and his throws are sharp, other then the one obvious stupid pass while he was running throwing it from an awkward position. Kolb is rolling out to the right throwing it to Whisenhunt on the sidelines as usual. No improvement from him at all..zero..nada.

13. By GW on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

skelton or kolb?neither will survive behind this o-line they need to get it together or it will be a long season for whoever qb. grimm have to be on the hot seat 3 years of poor o-line c’mon

14. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

A far as teh QB thing goes……….In my opinion, Skelton’s start looked ok, but it didn’t have a good finish. Kolb didn’t look great, but he didn’t look horrible either. He appeared more settled down in this game than the last. If Kolb and the receivers can perfect that back-shoulder pass, it will be lethal during the season. I think both he threw to Sampson were there and should have been caught, but only one was. Protection was a problem for both QBs. I believe it was on 3 of Kolbs 4 incompletions he was flushed out of the pocket. I would have liked to see Kolb close out the half though. AZ was forced into passing mode and I think Kolb could obviously have benefitted from more game reps. Overall, you would like to see better performances on both sides of the ball from the first teams. The defense and OL protection haven’t been great, and there are a number of things that can be pointed out that need fixing, but keep in mind it is still August; I would not jump the gun of concern yet. The team obviously has room for improvement and time to clean up, but just like the QB situation, we still need to let this thing play out. Just like any other season, we won’t know exactly what they’ll be until the games count

15. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Conclusions after 2 pre-season games. Some positive, some negative.

1-We do not have a NFL caliber starting QB on this team. We have 2 quality back ups and a promising project. Hope that assessment changes before Seattle. If I had to pick a starter right now I would probably go Skelton but honestly I don’t know if there is a difference. You can win with either one of these two but the defense will have to play well and the QB will have to Not Lose the Game. (Maybe that last point favors Kolb… I don’t know)

2-OL still is ranked among the bottom 10 teams in the NFL. Adam Snyder is not ready for prime time. His run blocking is better than pass.

3-We have good depth at RB, WR, and TE

4-Byrd, Smith, Powell have looked good.

5-Massie has looked horrible, 4th round seems kind of high after watching him for 2 games.

6- Potter will be lucky to be on the PS.

7-Toler does not seem comfortable in his assignments yet but his knee looks good

8-DL still looks weak against the power run game.

9-Adams and Bethel have skill on ST but are HUGE liabilities on defense.

10-Flemming and Bradley have shined. Gideon plays smart and consistant.

11-Jefferson is in the right place but doesn’t make the plays on the ball.

12-Gay is better in zone converage than man-on-man.

13-Groves is physically dominating against the 3rd string but what I do not know is if he is in the right place for the defense. Haggans is smart but looks like he has lost a step, and B Williams is consistant but does not impact much.

I try and remind myself that this is just the beginniing of the pre-season and that there is much still ahead. I know all of these assessments can change, and in many cases I hope they do, but right now it is hard to get excited about the starters on either side of the ball.

16. By Dan on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    What was up with Michael Floyd? He was sitting off by himself pouting, then later did his atrocious face mask grab on the punt return. It seemed like he didn’t play much. Are there some tough love issues going on there?

17. By Kurt on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

The good news… I don’t believe there were any major injuries and these mistakes can be fixed.

18. By Andy Kw on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Every Cardinals player struggled against the Chiefs. Everyone was missing tackles, making the wrong reads, and there was no rhythm going on until the 2nd Quarter. Skelton had something going on his first drive but it makes no sense for a Runningback to not convert a first down when they are only a yd or 2 shy. Skelton struggled and Kolb struggled no doubt. Lindley and Bartel did quite well against the Chiefs. Bartel was accurate and Lindley got the Cardinals to 2 scoring drives. Lindley won tonights battle between Bartel not because of his accuracy but because of his scoring drives. Bartel knows how to read plays but many people need to understand that Lindley got most of the reps and Bartel can’t be counted out because of it. Bartel right now is probably 0-2 right now as in who is going to win the #3 QB role. The coaches and staff gave Lindley too many reps and didn’t bother to give Bartel the same amount of reps. Lindley is probably 2-0 but I feel he should be 1-1. Skelton is probably 1-1 and Kolb is 0-2. Both didn’t produce so both receive a loss. Skelton still has the edge on Kolb and Lindley has been too overvalued which is why he is winning the #3 QB battle. Our team is worrying so much about pressuring the QB that we are not paying attention on pass coverage and the run game. I heard that the Cards have been blitzing more which is great. Blitzing pressures the QB and every player was pay attention about that rather playing their role. The DBs were paying so much attention on trying to force a turnover and all they were trying to do was not tackle the player with the ball but try to knock the ball out which all of them failed to do. No player on the O-Line did well and Massie right now isn’t doing well. If our team keeps this up, there is no way this team will reach the playoffs. Levi did horrible, Bobby did bad, and Bridges was terrible. We can’t protect players, we can’t tackle players, and we can’t even read plays. Cards right now are on the verge of reaching last place in the Division and possibly last place in the NFL. Our defense right now looks like they are the worst in the NFL. Cards right now look like a 6-10 team at best. McNulty should go back to Wide Receivers coach and the Cards should hire back Chris Miller. I have nothing else to say.

19. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Once again I thought Skelton looked more poised than Kolb. I thought the run game looked horrible when Skelton and Kolb were in . Skelton made some nice passes with no run game backing them up. He would have actually been 4 for 7 if the pass Fitz caught wasn’t called for a penalty, right? Byrd looks like a keeper to me. That pass he caught while getting lit up and hanging on to it says something I think. So he missed an assignment. His positives far outweigh the negatives. Give him his due Whisenhunt. Reserving judgement until I get to see Beanie and Williams back. All you Kolb fans may think this was close but in my opinion Skelton still outplayed Kolb and should be ahead in the competition. I liked how Whisenhunt skated around the qb question.

20. By Chuck 1 on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Ah, it’s just a preseason game.
    They don’t matter.

21. By john the draft guy on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Afetr watching the game twice, here is what I noticed;

Reggie Walker got the start and it seemed Bradley and Walker rotated at that LB spot. Interesting.

The chiefs Oline dominated our front 7. Dockett, Williams, and Campbell were handled every play.

Terrible holding call on Sherman lead to the 3rd and 14, which is when Skelton threw the pick.

Alfonzo Smith; I just dont see it. I didnt see it last year and I still dont. Darren, 3rd and 1 may have had an issue with blocking but if he follows his fullback he has a nice gain. Instead he cuts back into the LB. Good news is Beanie gets that first down and the drive continues.

Rashad Johnson stepped up and had his best game.

Everyone saw Floyds block on the long run, but dont miss I. Williams block. his pancake opened the edge.

Why did we take the penalty instead of counting Fitz’s catch? weird. It was a spot penalty and Fitz had a 1st down.

The first sack on skelton, sometime you give credit to the chiefs. #97 absolutly crashed down on snyder and sendlin. the backer looped around and sendlin couldnt get loose to pick him up, leaving a free shot on skelton. #50 got the sack #97 gets the credit.

Kolb vs Skelton;
    I saw a confident crisp Skelton. He had one drive ended by smiths poor run and one ended on that terrible call on sherman. I saw a better Kolb. Nice throws to Sampson. The first sack, he had no one open. Kolb seemed to be frustrated, maybe wrs weren’t where they needed to be.
    If Kolb gets the start next week, he will have his rbs back and his starting wrs. No excuses.
    As for Lindley, he sure is taking his opportunity for all its worth. I agree he is not ready, but he is encouraging.

Finally, Tannehill was 14 for 21 for 167 yds and a TD. I’m just saying.

22. By john the draft guy on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Oh three more things,
    You can teach Byrd the playbook. But that raw talent is rare.

Michael Floyd has 1 catch in 2 games.

Darren, Fleming, in the trail position, never touched the guy on the int. it just went threw the wrs hands. With that being said, I do think he is playing well.

23. By Rio on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

SAW JOE MONTANA IN SCOTTSDALE TODAY, YOU THINK COACH WIZ IS TRYING TO GET HIM TO COME BACK, JOE LOOK GOOD.

24. By GregL on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Someone needs to hold Russ Grimm accountable

25. By Christo on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Ahhhh another season of pain coming up.

WHEN will this team address the OFFENSIVE Offensive Line? Get some talent or get a new OL Coach. It’s sad that Whis can’t get at his friend Grimm and address him.

Seriously Adam Snyder one of the worst guards in the League. Levi Brown one of the worst tackles in the League.

We’re surprised that our QB’s cannot perform?

13 and 19 the last 2 seasons #Birdgang and we look like amateurs so far this year.

26. By horned frog on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Kolb and Skelton are ‘competing’ for the starting job, we hear about them all the time. Ryan Lindley was drafted and obviously has favor within the organization. Predictable. Lets be real, for as marginal as they play they sure do get the benefit of the doubt a majority of the time. Bartel is no world beater by any means, but if you’re going to report or have an opinion on the qb situation how is it that this kid is not even mentioned in either article on this teams home website about yesterday’s game. Again he isn’t perfect, but neither are the others. He’s played with the two’s and threes as Lindley has and is 8/13 for 130 and the lone td pass. We rationalize that Kolb has had sub par protection with the starting and second string units during his time, but desperately want him to stand in the pocket and deliver. Bartel might have held on a couple times yesterday a little too long, but I dont doubt protection broke down on him too at times. Pretty sure he stood in there and delivered a td pass. All I’m saying is he is competing. He isn’t sexy, he has no ties to the gm or scouting department and nobody will be asked any hard questions when he’s cut in 2 weeks, but what an injustice to him. He plays well enough in last years camp to make a compelling argument that he should be the backup, then we draft a guy with our 2nd pick in the 6th round, have another guy we over payed, and another who’s shown absolutely zero consistency, yet Bartel gets absolutely zero respect. People can and will justify who they like and dislike, but he is no worse than anybody we have. Heck, I even think he’s got redeeming qualities. Smart, serviceable and grinds. Done nothing but quietly produce, again, not sexy, but produces. Just saying, i’m all about reality but its easy to see why his track record looks like it does with other teams, if they all treated him like this.

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Aurora —

RE: crown

You are right. My English teacher wife is laughing at me. That’s what I get for trying to be clever at 1:30 a.m.

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Dan –

RE: Floyd

I don’t know. I know he didn’t play a ton, but they might have been wanting to get other guys more reps that night.

29. By Eric Hutchins on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

I always end up feeling like I watched a different game then many of the posters on these strings. In my opinion Kolb is the better QB. Period. And the longer we play this silly game of spreading out the reps to keep things fair the worse shape we will be at the beginning of the season. What Kolb needs is reps and confidence. Niether of these guys is Tom Brady yet, we dont need to worry about keeping them fresh for the start of the season. Kolb needs reps, and then some more reps and then some more reps.

30. By Ickman on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Long time cards fan 20+ years. Tjis team has great talent. No excuses time to get your $#@# together men!!!

31. By Suspence716 on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

I think michael adams’ days in the nfl are limited… I think thats why he was out there with the starters, so they could evaluate him going against first team offense. People need to remember that its preseason and the reason you see some of these guys starting, like reggie walker, is because they are watching to see how the player performs. In a few weeks they have to go from 90 players on the roster down to 53 for the final roster. That’s almost half of the roster they have to cut, so I wouldn’t start worrying about how the team is playing till we get towards the end of the preseason and the final roster starts to trim down. Now if in the last preseason game the cards def still looks sorry and players are missing assignments left and right, then and only then, should you begin to pull your hair out. Skelton had good poise in the pocket and he showed his big arm on some of those lazers to roberts. I like how he sidestepped the rush when that guy was flying through the air n he looked a lil comfortable out there. He could have stepped up in the pocket on the play he got sacked on and got rid of the ball. Kolb had some good throws to sampson but you could tell his throws aren’t as strong as skelton. On the play action when Kolb took a sack I thought he had plenty of time to get rid of the ball n protection was good. Still disappointed in his rolling to the right and throwing the ball out of bounds. If I was game planning Kolb I would send a mlb up the middle and a left corner blitz. Once Kolb sees the mlb comin down the middle he’s gonna run backwards to the right, have that corner act like he’s playin press then come on the blitz n kolb will get sacked everytime.

32. By Gerald Jones on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Why not start Lindley one pre-season game, and see what he;s got against a first string defense. Cam Newton and Sam Bradfsord started as a rookies.
    So far Kolb is continuing his underperfroming and John is just OK. Lindley seems to have better footwork and acts like he wants to win – show me some desire to win, some leadership, some determination.

No one will get the job done at QB hoever without protection. Cards must do whatever it takes to protect the QB IMO (2 RBs blocking – fine whatever it takes)

33. By big red fan on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

. “But let’s not crown anyone yet. ”

Darren-that is classic.

34. By cardsalltheway on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

john the draft guy,
    “If Kolb gets the start next week, he will have his rbs back”

Expect a fumble(s) at the hand off point, it takes Beanie awhile to get used to handling the ball. He should be carrying a ball with him everywhere he goes and players should try to knock it out of his hands whenever they walk by him, same with R. Williams.

“Finally, Tannehill was 14 for 21 for 167 yds and a TD. I’m just saying.”

Many other new and/or rookie QB’s in the NFL look better and play better than Ken W’s. I got news for you, it’s not just the QB’s fault.

35. By Rick on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

“It doesn’t feel like either man has separated in this race.” If Kolb is being paid the money he’s making, been in the league 6 years, shouldn’t he be able to separate himself from the back-up quarterback? I was never in favor of bringing Kolb to the Cardinals. Thought just what little I saw Skelton play in his first year with the Cards, he has potential and just needs the experience and time invested to develop him. Now we have this controversy with what started out as a project QB and a 63M dollar QB. If Kolb can’t separate himself by now, c’mon. Let’s finish this project.

36. By ben on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

alright already with kolb and micheal adams for all the special team plays he is supposed to be accountable for, he just can’t cover.

37. By georgiebird on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Cards have dug themselves a hole this preseason. The games have not been as close as the scores.
    The biggest blunder the Cards are guilty of this year (besides Kolb) is projecting the defense to be much improved.
    The defense while improved somewhat, is a long way from being a force. Stats in the last 9 games were compiled against inexperienced and average QBs. The better QBs will continue to make our defense look bad. Our defense is undisciplined and not very smart. We tend to glorify hard hits at the expense of solid coverage. As bad as the offense has been, the defense has been worse at the start of games. I never thought Horton was the answer at DC. And the 3-4 defense still doesn’t fit our personnel. Hate to be negative, but there comes a time when the negative comments have to be viewed as “correct even though unpopular”.

38. By johnnybluenose on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

just for fun and my own interest i went to the chiefs website to read what they had to say about the game. of course they were very happy and excited about their team this year. who can blame them? the chiefs seem very solid on both sides of the ball. however, one of their fans had a story that may be of interest to our cardinals fans. this fan had seats close to the field behind the cardinals bench. there was a young boy there with his father. fitz was standing nearby and heard the boy calling to him. and larry grabbed a pen and a football, signed his name to it and tossed it to the boy. classy.

39. By Josh on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

From what I saw last night of the Chiefs game, I think the OL has been afwul. Synder has been worst then poop on a stick at least in his first two games, bridges talent is definitely not blocking,at best Sendlien is mediocre , levi brown I think does OK because he blocks the defender leading them outside which should allow the QB to moveup into the pocket and avoid the pressure but the only problem is everyone upfront can’t block so defenders are inside the pocket(the pocket collapses) and therefore the QB scrambles. I think it is hard to evaluate the QBs when the OL is playing so bad. At the end of the day, neither QB is really any better then the other. It just makes for interesting news, I suppose

40. By Flood on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I think “crown” was perfect! You were channeling your inner Denny Green! Lindley is who we thought he was, and we let him get the hype….

41. By Red cards on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Well What I seen last night was Skelton looked light years ahead of last year kolb looks worse than last year do I think it Skelton 2 kolb0

42. By jason marcus on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

We never should ave taken Kolb but btw the lockout and no real guy to lead the team and throw to Fitz we just got desperate ,there was not enough to go on for the trade and the money, well cmon fans if he dose not really do something soon he needs to do , I hate to say it but Skelton looks better hes bigger and seems to not get hurt, theres no way to tell now how we will look next month , just think of these as LIVE PRACTICES and everyone shut up and calm yourselves.

43. By jason marcus on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

OUR OLINE IS AWFUL WITHOUT BETTER PLAY WE WILL NOT WIN.

44. By Chuck 1 on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

“I think there is a lot of frustration with the whole team,” Kolb said. “The good thing is it is early, but we have to pick it up.”

“We are a better defense than what we showed but it’s still a preseason game,” defensive end Calais Campbell said. “I’m not too worried. We just have to regroup. This defense is a gap-control defense. If we just learn to trust each other again, we’ll be fine. By the time that first game comes around, we’ll be ready.”

Uh huh.

After all, it’s just a preseason game. I’m sure that by the time the Cards play the SeaChickens, they’ll play like a Super Bowl team.

45. By cactusjeff on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

If I remember right, last years defense played better in the second half of season when they started experimenting with the 4-3.

46. By Jon on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

If there is no clear winner between Kolb and Skelton, we should just start Bartel. I obviously don’t have the inside info on him but I have a feeling he would be very good if they focused on him. What is there to lose? No body is showing they deserve it.

47. By Tyler on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

both qb need more reps and the starting o-line… Kolb really needs the reps and the confidence or he is never going to produce.

48. By Tyler on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

i like a-dub’s defense when were getting beat he starts laying people out.

49. By Dennis on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Pre Season really doesn’t count; but if it did boy would we be in trouble. That offensive line really is bad. They have a hard time with just straight ahead blocking, not to mention they cannot pull and lead a sweep.
    I hope Grimm has a plan to fix it or we could be in for a very long season.

50. By cardsalltheway on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Below are some QB’s that have looked better than K. Kolb who are on new teams and/or playing under new offensive systems. I know it’s not a high standard to meet but nonetheless, here you go…

Seahawks(27) at home vs. Titans(17),
    Both Matt Flynn(less experience as K. Kolb but interesting comparison) and Russell Wilson(Rookie out of Wisconsin) of the Seahawks looked better than K. Kolb while playing in new offensive systems. Defensively the Seahawks played with energy in their 1st game, therefore they did better than our defense. Even if you’re a good defense you need to play with energy, back to the basics coach.

Bears(3) at home vs. Broncos(31),
    Caleb Hanie of the Denver Broncos looked better than K. Kolb and he is playing in a new offensive system, last year he started the final 4 games with the Bears and of course this year he learned a new system(P. Manning’s system).

Jaguars(32) at home vs. Giants(31),
    Blaine Gabbert, second-year QB helped lead his team to victory vs. the Super Bowl champion N.Y. Giants and looked pretty good in a new offensive system under new head coach Mike Mularky. Mularky was the Falcons offensive coordinator last year and if he can make B. Gabbert look good this year then what does that tell us about Ken W.? On B. Gabbert first drive, he led the team to a 13-play, 89 yard touchdown.

Chad Henne(formerly of the Dolphins) also looked better than K. Kolb, he is Gabbert’s back-up.

Can anyone name any other QB’s like those I’ve mentioned above – other than Robert Lee Griffin III of the Redskins? I wonder if the Colts Andrew Luck will also look better than K. Kolb vs. the Rams?

Most teams improve on offense each year, especially when the standard is as low as ours, but not us.

If Ken W. really thinks he’s got 3 more games before it’s time to panic then why don’t we try looking as bad as the first two games this preseason at home this coming Friday night vs. Raiders and see what Cardinal fans think about that.

51. By clssylssy on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Everybody overlooks the fact that Lindley and Bartel are playings 2nd and 3rd stringers and are in the game much longer. Skelton and Kolb really don’t hardly have time to get warmed up and find a rhythm before they are out. Skelton looked good and Kolb was better and the stats will bear out the fact that Skelton continues to be better. KC is a great organization,have been strong for years but had their share of extreme ups and downs. They ‘ve had Hank Stram,Marty Shottenheimer, Dick Vermeil and the benefit of Todd Haley for a few years. Our offense has been our weakness since Haley left and it’s the o-line that needs to be fixed. Our QBs wouldn’t be so bad if they had any kind of protection and it’s not too late to pick up somebody as the other teams have to trim their roster and good people get cut. We aren’t the only team in the league with a QB competition but others seem to be finding resolution while we just continue with more drama. I’ve been impressed with the toughness both Skelton brothers have shown. This is football and toughness is in the job description. Lindley looks good but needs more time to develop on the practice squad. At this point , it should be: 1. Skelton 2. Bartel 3.Kolb 4.Lindleyy to practice squad.. Skelton and Bartel are both tough, can take a beating and keep on ticking, Kolb is fragile– give him the time to continue to work out and get better or not (his decision if it’s important to him) and bring Lindley up as he develops. Wilson just restructured his deal for the good of the team and to allow him to retire a Card. It seems appropriate and entirely just to restructure Kolb’s deal based on his performance thus far. He would still have a cushy job with the opportunity to be around positive influences like Fitz. A team is only as strong as it’s weakest link and while there are guys who aren’t pefect, I don’t hear excuses being made for anybody but Kevin Kolb which really isn’t fair to him either.

52. By CreditCard on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Cards played unprepared and uninspired. I sure they are playing possum.

53. By sackman on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

What I have noticed on John Skelton compared to last season, he has improved alot. He is looking the role of a starting quarterback. But, as I have said in the past when Skelton gets flushed out of the pocket he tries to throw on the run squeezing the ball between defenders getting interceptions. If he would of continued to run on that play he would of gotten positive yards, maybe not a first down but positive yards and we wouldnt be talking about that interception. Kolb did OK! I think Skelton is leading the competition. He just needs to learn how to run and stead of forcing the issue, live to see another day!!!

54. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

As some have questioned above:
    Why has Micheal Adams started first string the last 2 games?

55. By Peter Grusendorf on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Before we over react lets take a look at how some other established Quarterbacks performed this weekend.

M. Shaub 3-6 52y 0-1
    C. Newton 2-6 17y 0-0
    D. Breese 1-4 4y 0-0
    M. Vick 4-7 4y 0-0
    A. Rodgers 2-8 16y 0-1
    P. Manning 4-7 44y 0-1
    M. Stafford 4-7 45y 0-1

Not to say I expect Kolb or Skelton to be Arron Rogers. It just goes to show that even the best have got some work to do.

56. By Marcelo on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Virtually, Kolb is better, Reality shows he is FAR away from virtuality.

He is easily overwhelmed by simple 4th, 5th round rookies. Skelton should get the job. I am not and never will be an expert on this issue, but by watching the games, who in this damn world feels confidet when Kolb holds the ball?

we do not go far this season with him. Just saying.

57. By clssylssy on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Thank you CodyZarr for a great screensaver!

58. By scubasteve12 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I really hope Kolb puts up some decent numbers this next game to shut every one up its really starting to get pathetic the way people are attacking him

59. By Scott H on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Ugh. That about says it all. Ya know, anything even vaguely resembling the 2010 pre-season when Derek Anderson ( forgive me for using the D word ) and Matt Leinart were neck-and-neck in their battle to show which one was worse is enough to cause one to have nightmares. While it was unfortunately clear that neither Anderson or Leinart was good enough, it was also clear that the O-line was horrible. Well, two years later, has anything changed??? I hate to panic after the 1st pre-season game ( well, really their 2nd ) but it’s hard to see where significant imprvement is going to come from with this o-line.

All I can say is thank God we still have 3 of these games left.

60. By fred on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

SKELTON 2 KOLB 0 one more game should decide the Q back battle

61. By Soares20 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

AndyStandsUp

I think Adams has started the past couple of games so the coaches could see if after 6 seasons he could play against a first string offense. I love the guy I really do but you have to face facts they picked on him the whole time he was out there. It was to reaffirm the coaches that they should cut him to make room for Bethel and Fleming. It’s going to be sad but necessary, Bethel can replace Adams on special teams.

62. By Brett on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway must be a undercover name for “I’am a professional football playercoach”…..

63. By William Barry on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Quinn Stuvidant looked good this week, and made some plays. Skelton looked more poised. I think we just have to remember to play as a TEAM, Lindley did not look bad, either. He shows a lot of poise for a rookie. Your thoughts.

64. By Joseph Ratti on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Cardinal fan since Charley Johnson,Johnny Roland days.It seems this team can not turn the corner ever.Gets better,then worse.When I was a young kid I did as so many kids do,I chose my favorite team because I liked their uniforms.That classic Redbird on the all white helmet.Classic NFL.Now we have something pretty close to a halloween costume.Go back to the old uni’s like so many other teams are doing.This was supposed to be a meaner version of the bird,its not just looks lously.If we are paying Kolb what we are give him the necessary reps,two games and thats it.Go Cards please!!!!!!

65. By johnnybluenose on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

joseph ratti is right. kolb is being paid to be our starting qb, not our back-up. let him play the whole game and see what he can do. he needs some confidence if he is expected to perform. this so-called competition between kolb and skelton needs to stop.

66. By Todd H on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Lot’s of issues, yet I get the long trip and all! KOLB has not improved! Time to cut our 63 million dollar man and pick up a veteran back up! I still blame the owners and management for the lack of off season acquisitions this year and last! By the way we could have re-built our team with a franchise QB last year, Locker, Gabbert, Dalton, or Ponder, but they only try to fill gaps year after year instead of running this organization like a real franchise. Oh, and kept Cromartie.. It’s all good Patrick P! Sorry! Now it’s going to cost us millions to release Kolb cuz no body will take this guy in trade. It’s time to look at drafting a real QB in the draft. Look at what Dalton accomplished in Cinci! RG111 only cost 25 million! Looks like a steal compared to Kolb at this point! Anyway, I bleed cardinal red so I am still a big fan. I hope they improve like yesterday! GOOD LUCK BIG RED!

67. By Red cards on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Im so sick of kolb some how wiz hasn’t figured out that kolbs only getting worse I dont think it’s kolbs fault he can’t play behind are crapy line he’s to weak . We need to play John bc he can take the damage . We’re just going to end up breaking kolb for good and ending is football career for good

2. Aug 11, 2012: Arizona Cardinals: Position Battles Review from Cards-Chiefs Preseason Game | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::