Cards bring back FB Maui’a

Posted by Darren Urban on August 11, 2012 – 1:42 pm

He’s the fullback that just keeps coming back. The Cardinals have once again signed Reagan Maui’a, after a neck injury suffered by fullback Jared Crank in the Hall of Fame game sidelined him indefinitely.

And that makes seven times he has signed with the Cards all told, starting in 2009. To make room on the roster, the Cards released guard Chris Stewart.

Maui’a played in 15 games in 2010 and three games last season for the Cards, having spent training camp with the team for all or part of 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Cards bring back FB Maui’a”

1. By hummer53 on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been watching the NFL for over 4 decades. So I am having to tell myself. It’s only pre-season Paul,It’s only pre-season Paul,It’s only pre-season Paul. Sigh. Deep breath. Now I feel much better. That’s all I have to say about KC. Now on to Raider week.

2. By john the draft guy on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

Ok, the same thing happened to James Harrison and Pitt.
    So expect a breakout season and several probowls to come.

Alright, probably not.

On a different note, I have always said that Coach Grimm needed players to develop. He never was given talent. But I really felt good about these draft picks and Im watching them struggle. That is concerning.

3. By truths4all on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

This is a good move to bring back a tough football player. Good luck, Reagan. I hope the Turk finally bypasses you this time!

4. By shannon robinson on Aug 11, 2012 | Reply

I have always advocated for multiple polynesians on our team. The Cards were one of the first NFL teams to have an Islander play for us: Vai Sikahema was one of the alltime great return men in the game – never a fair catch, always ran straight ahead. With the drafting of Senio Kelemete and now the return of Mau’i I am really happy. For such small island populations polynesians have an inordinate number of professional athletes playing in the NFL and the rugby world. As a rugby coach I can tell you that Islanders have great strength and they were all born too close to volcanoes thus their fighting spirit!

5. By havasu tom on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Great to see Reagan back with the team.
    I believe everyone needs to calm down a little. NO, we haven’t played well in any part of the game. I fell once the quarterback position settles into one guy, things well click a little better. Kolb needs to figure a way to step up into the pocket. We saw running backs coming off there blocks wide open as Kolb always scrabbling to his right.
    When Skelton comes off the bench he seams to have more fire in him. When he start, it takes a couple of drives to get his motor going. He needs to figure a way to get the motor going earlier.
    I fell the starting defense is just going through the motions. Except for #24, what a hit.

6. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Was Mauia’s 3 game suspension for substance abuse ever carried out?

And who’s been signed and released more by the Cards – Reagan or Pago Togafau?

7. By Brett on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@ hummer53 I agree with you 100%, I have yet to see the the chief game, but from what I have heard and the highlight reel woof! By Wednesday morning I will have seen the game which I don’t know if I want to. Hopefully though our team can fix the problems fast!

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: suspension

I think as the games pass, so does the suspension. At the same time, barring injuries, Sherman will be the FB.

9. By brad ONeill on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

sherman is looking fantastic, I like Reagan but we arent going to carry 2 fullbacks i hope he gets some good checks and gets noticed by another team because he will not unseat Sherman.

10. By William Barry on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

I think as time goes on, Whoever our starting QB is, then things will calm down, and we will play better. Plus you dont want to show everything for two preaseason games that dont count for anything…..I think we will be fine…going forward, and once our RB also settles in..(Ryan Williams, etc…)

11. By louis on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Both Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm need to go if they finish 5 and 11 this year, and go get Bill Cowher.

12. By john the draft guy on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Louis,
    Go get Cowher so he could hire Whiz and Grimm??

As a long time AZ Card fan, I’ll say it again

19 years, 1 winning season (9-7 in ’98) and 1 playoff win (’98)

Whiz has been here 5 years, we have had only 1 losing season (’10) and 4 playoff wins (’08 and ’09) and a superbowl appearence.

Do we really want to go backwards? I remember what it was like. Do you?

13. By tyler on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Ken needs to stay, but Russ needs to do his job. The o-line is the damn issue. The d-line is the damn issue too. Well darn, the issue are building up. We need to get to work. Whiz needs to tighten up and stop being so soft. I’m tired of hearing its preseason its preseason. You cant get better if you dont perform at your best. You can only get better if you try your hardest. Who gets better from limp wristing a throw? Rhetorical question. Nobody!

14. By James on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

@ Louis , So after two preseason games you’re thinking that the Cardinals could possibly go 5-11? This is exactly why I try to limit the amount of times I read these things because of gloom-and-doom “comments” like this. Yeah, the Cards have not looked too good so far this PRESEASON , but it is after all PRESEASON!

15. By Sport245245 on Aug 12, 2012 | Reply

Right on John the draft guy.

16. By AB on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

17. By AB on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The people that uploaded this video are the same ones that uploaded the 66 Inch Jump by Adrian Wilson.

18. By Blake on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Reagan is a bad addition, he is slow and can’t finish blocks, he gets in the way of olinemen instead of hitting the whole.

19. By louis on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

This year’s Cardinals remind me of the 1980 cardinals who had players that didn’t care to win but collect a paycheck and can’t wait for the season to end. If this keeps up I feel sorry for the fans. I think the team needs a new GM and coaching staff and a new owner.