Spirited work, and a move at tackle

Posted by Darren Urban on August 13, 2012 – 6:47 pm

Quarterback Kevin Kolb was talking about how coach Ken Whisenhunt treats the players fairly, not overworking them usually. “We have to reward him with a better effort.”

Practice sure seemed more intense Monday afternoon after the Cards had a disappointing game in Kansas City. There was a scuffle between defensive lineman David Carter and center Scott Wedige and some various whoops and hollering, and the battling went all the way down to the late part of the two-minute drill, when Larry Fitzgerald and Patrick Peterson went up for a jump ball in the end zone and while it looked like Peterson had it at first, Fitz wasn’t going to give up the battle as they fell to the ground.

As for the offensive woes of late, answers are at a premium. “If we knew, maybe practice today would have been a little better,” Kolb said. “I’ve been a lot of places and you go through funks like this. To be honest a lot of time it happens in practice a lot when the defense, they know route concepts and stuff like that. You just keep pushing through, trust your keys and keep working hard.”

– The Cardinals made a move in the lineup Monday, with D’Anthony Batiste taking over as first-string right tackle from Jeremy Bridges, who then took Batiste’s place as second-string right guard. No way to know what it means yet — coach Ken Whisenhunt is next available at lunch tomorrow — but at a position where everyone was waiting for a Bridges-versus-Bobby Massie fight, it was an interesting development.

– Sitting out with injuries were FB Jared Crank (neck), CB Michael Adams (hamstring), WR LaRon Byrd (shoulder), RB LaRod Stephens-Howling (undisclosed) and LB Paris Lenon (ankle).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Spirited work, and a move at tackle”

1. By Chris B on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

No offense to Mr Bridges- but good. He looked terrible last game. He shouldn’t be given the spot just because he’s the vet default.

2. By Soares20 on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Really happy to see Whiz getting our team in gear I know a lot of the fans don’t seem to like him, but seriously he has given this team a new attitude and I love it. he has been the best coach we have had in a long time. Go Cards

3. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The RT change makes sense. Bridges has looked poor and Massie has looked worse. Batiste, on the other hand, has looked solid at every position that have placed him. His value has increased in my eyes as I have seen his solid play at multiple position. I have also felt good about Kelemente and Wedige’s play.

4. By jason marcus on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I hope we see some decent qb play this friday im getting nervous, I know the defense will show up a lot earlier this year, but man we are going on three yrs with a no show offense, cmon Williams RIP IT UP! GO CARDS!

5. By Steward Badly on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I don’t want Kevin Kolb opinion on anything, specially on the effort part. 2 for 9 with 25 yards and 1 INT in 2 games. I thought having an offseason to learn the offence was gonna make him better. I’m sick and tire of him running to his right.

6. By scubasteve12 on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Read an article on nfl.com saying how whisenhunt was frustrated with the quarterbacks. Know anything about this?

7. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Let’s go Cards !!! 3 weeks before it really counts. Plenty of time to get it together. It all starts with the O-line. We need better pass protection. One of the QB’s will emerge, we just need to give them some pocket time in order to execute. I know. EASIER SAID THAN DONE.

Let’s get it.

8. By WNYCardfan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Ok, I’ll play Mr.Pessimistic here………..we’ve got two articles on NFL.COM about Coach being a bit frustrated (He’s calm, but I think he’s really ticked off, I would be) and another writer singling us out for having MAJOR issues at QB. I hate to say it, but I feel like both are right. Preseason is preseason, I get that, but it is BASIC football too, can’t we some consistent, solid play? Its beginning to feel like 2 years ago all over again. I am all for his decision to keep the 1st string in there until they do something right. What I am worried about is they won’t get it right until the other team puts in their 2nd string DEF. I had some hopes for this year, but they are dwindling now. See the seahawks preseason? See the SF49 pre season? See a few other teams with ROOKIE qb’s doing decent? come on cards get your rears in gear!!!

9. By Jordan on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

The slow start could very well be a blessing in disguise. Sounds like everyone’s getting a little pissed off, which seems like a great thing at this point. To use that intensity in the first game played at home this year and to come out with a win would be huge for the guys mentally.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

scuba —

RE: Article

Link?

11. By Skiptim on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

You don’t have to bother approving this comment if Scubasteve12 or someone else already gave you the link.

12. By Chuck 1 on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

I find it amusing (?) that cardsalltheway and I have been criticized for being concerned/pessimistic/critical (you pick the word) of the Cards’ players, coaches and FO, but NOW other critics are coming out of the woodwork as two preseason games have shown that the team is definitely NOT ready for prime time.

13. By Dazed n Confused on Aug 13, 2012 | Reply

Kolb just doesn’t seem like he understands the QB position when he line up under C. I talking about the “fundamentals”

I understand opposing D’s try to give false reads, but there appears to be no read at all. He just plain and simply looks lost.

14. By bluepitt on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

hahaha you mean Whiz is not calling practice early to day? Ah give it a day or two and he will be giving Vet days off and calling off practice early like he alwayse does…lol just strikes me as funny. I have read several times this year already and every year after our SB run whiz is giving days off and calling it early.
    These guys cant even practice and hit in pads due to the new CBA and then whiz is giving days off and early practice endings???????? Well finaly maby he gets it and understands Preseason is time to WORK!!!!!

15. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1,
    What you talkin bout Willis?

If Matt Leinart scores against us on Friday night, then _______________ (fill in the blank).

16. By Brent on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

The good news from the preseason so far . . . there seems to be a good chance the Cards could get Barkley in April.

17. By Havasu Tom on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Very interesting post by other fans. I wrote a few days ago that Kolb needed to step up in the pocket and he also is not getting through his reads fast enough. He needs to step the dump read to #2 not wait for every play to develop. It’s preseason and need to see what the off season taught him. I’m not for playing Kolb tell he gets it right. Skelton needs some time with the first team.
    The play so far by the QB’s warrants playing the QB with the best W-L record. I’m also for Lindsey with the 1st string, it can’t hurt.

18. By Andy Kw on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I think this Raiders game will really bring a lot out of Kolb. Kolb will produce better numbers and Skelton will produce better numbers. This game will also test our tackling skills and we need to really see how far are defense has come to being great.

19. By Sigmund Freud on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Chuck –

Yes, we understand that you amuse yourself — at our expense. Everyone knows that you post on here under several different names (including cardsalltheway) just so you can have someone else agree with you. It’s pathetic.

Of course fans are restless after their team stunk it up in a couple pre-season games, but without fail you are 100% pessimistic and critical 100% of the time, even in the off-season. Beyond that, you actually take delight in the Cards’ failures because you can then prance and gloat that you’ve been proven right. It’s pathological.

20. By sportstrucker on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Coaches comments on QB play where he states not all Kolbs fault the Oline seem nervous when Kolb was in and calmed down when Skelton came in my question is : isn’t calmiong down the Oline as well as rest of the Offense part of the QB’s job, leadership?? seems that Skelton gets this and calms everyone down

21. By Thomas77 on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals are notoriously slow starters. Even with Warner they’d start the season slowly. Oh, they’d win their first game, but would look terrible doing it and then go on to lose the next few. Well, they can’t afford to do that this year, and Whiz knows it. I like his different approach this year and how he’s planning on leaving the starters in the preseason games until they work through the rust and prove they’re ready for the regular season.

22. By Thomas77 on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

…and one other thing. This is a different side of Whiz that I don’t recall seeing before. Showing this type of disgust and determination to make sure these guy’s are ready to fly out of the gates from day 1.

– Could it only be because of the difficult schedule during the second half of the season, leading him to push for wins early and often?

– Could it be a sign that Whiz is taking a different approach to things altogether?

– Or, could it be that he might be feeling a little bit of heat from his superiors?

Probably all the above…

23. By rjrjn on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    What’s your thoughts on this article and ESPN’s Adam Schefter’s tweet about John Skelton favored to start in Wk-1?

24. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

It looks like the coach’s belly is gettin bigger…? On the contrary, I’ve lost weight:)

Matt Leinart looked pretty good against the Cowboys, better than Kevin Kolb. He moved the ball down the field. What if he scores against our defense by conducting long sustaining drives the length of the field multiple times, thus keeping our offense/K. Kolb off the field and then when Kolb finally does get in he goes 3 and out? M. Leinart knows the Raiders offense better than C. Palmer because the Houston Texans former offensive Coordinator(Greg Knapp) is now doing the same for Oakland.

25. By Ezz on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know why you guys bother reading national media reports when all they do is fetch stuff the local media has said for weeks and add their own twist to it for shock value. The reporter didn’t talk to Whiz personally, he probably wasn’t even there for practice. He saw the games on tv, saw Kolb and Skelton stinking it up and assumed Whiz was frustrated which doesn’t exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out. That report has as much weight as any comment that’s been posted on this page so i don’t understand why people are making a big deal about it. You should be worried if Whiz wasn’t frustrated at what he’s seen so far.

26. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Sigmund Freud,
    Chuck –
    “Everyone knows that you post on here under several different names (including cardsalltheway)”
    I can guarantee Chuck 1 is not me and I really doubt Chuck 1 is “without fail 100% pessimistic and critical 100% of the time” about our AZ Cardinals. Sigmund Freud suffered from anxiety neurosis.

“It’s pathological.”
    If you really think so then perhaps it’s caused by some type of panic disorder per Sigmund Freud. Does “everyone” really know? No, of course not but S. Freud also had a panic disorder.

Go get em Cards!

27. By clssylssy on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Agree Leinert looked really good last night and I don’t see Kolb as able to take a hit like Romo did from DT Tommy Kelly. Dallas’s O-line is as bad as ours! It’s funny how not having any receivers can make even decent QB play worthless. As bad as the Raiders seemed to be, I don’t look for them to be that bad when they come to Phoenix. Sure hope we can come up with a way to protect our QBs better otherwise, it won’t be pretty. Of course, this is preseason and so nothing is as it seems. I do believe that once the squad has been set, the Cards will find their groove. I’m hanging in hoping to emerge from the preseason with minimal injuries and a team hungry to win. GO CARDS!

28. By BIG RED on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I see it this way the only team we could beat this year would be the girls from dallas, they really looked worst then we did.