Ignoring the storm

Posted by Darren Urban on August 14, 2012 – 6:39 pm

One of John Skelton’s greatest attributes is his sense of calm. It’s one of the reasons he can be so effective in the fourth quarter, because he doesn’t get rattled. So it makes sense that, even with his name at the center of the NFL world most of Tuesday because of a national report he might be the starter, Skelton shrugged it off.

“For me, not speaking for Kevin, I take it the same way whether it is a local reporter reporting something or a national outlet, it doesn’t faze me either way,” Skelton said. “I think it’s fair to say I haven’t really thought about (getting it over). My goal every day is to come to practice and get better. It’ll all work itself out in the end.”

Skelton does think he’s much improved over the Skelton of training camp 2011. “I think I am, and I think coaches will say the same thing and I think players will say the same thing,” he said. “Really, getting better day in and day out and getting consistent with it is my goal.”

– I thought Kevin Kolb had arguably his best practice of camp today. Maybe all the news swirling around motivated him (maybe that’s what the news was meant to do.) I thought Skelton struggled for the first part,overthrowing several times, but in the final segment of 11-on-11 looked much more sharp.

– DL Nick Eason returned to practice after missing almost two weeks to tend to his ill mother, who later passed away. LB Zach Nash, who hurt his ankle early in training camp, also finally came back to practice.

– QB Rich Bartel was ill and sat out. CB Greg Toler left after tweaking his right knee (the opposite one that he tore ligaments in last preseason). LB Paris Lenon (ankle) and WR LaRon Byrd (shoulder) remained out.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “Ignoring the storm”

1. By Steward Badly on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

John Skelton doenn’t get to high, doesn’t get too low, GREAT JOB JOHN just keep quiet and keep working. GO CARDS

2. By hummer53 on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

In some ways J. Skelton’s personality reminds me of Aaron Rogers. Very easy going and happy go lucky on the sidelines. Of course we all hope that John can even come close to Aaron’s level. You never know, How many years did Aaron stand on the sidelines while Bret played. We can only dream.

3. By straightedgerevenge on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

any word if paris will be good to go in septemeber?

4. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

With all this negativity and doubt in the QB position so far, it’s good to hear something positive, especially for Kolb. In my opinion, this Cards QB situation has really gotten out of hand. Everybody has to get their two cents on how Kolb sucks and how Skelton should start. It’s pretty comical. Let’s not forget it’s still preseason, and I’ll leave it at that. If anything, the decision should be made sooner rather than later though, just to end all this crap and for the sake of the team. This is just me, but I think this start against OAK game will decide if Kolb gets the job or not. If he can put up a good game, I think he will end up getting the start in the Titans game. If he sucks, then he’s done and Skelton will start against the Titans. I think whoever starts the Titan game will most likely be the starter going in to the season. The reason I say this is because teams play their 1s most of the game in wk 3 of preseason and it would make sense to me that coach would want his choice of QB to get those reps that closely resemble regular season. I don’t think the Bronco game will be as useful in assessing both guys. But we’ll see

5. By Havasu Tom on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Wow Skelton, figure out how to play great in the 1st half and you’ll have no problems. As for Kolb, step up in the pocket. Skelton, inbrace the blitz as warner did and make them pay.

6. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Confidence through experience is the only thing lacking a bit with Johnny S., but one place you get confidence is through support from your head coach/GM and we all know how that goes.

7. By iammattyoung on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

How I wish this were true. If Skelton could get all the first team reps for the last two weeks of the preseason, it would be a windfall for the position — to finally have a guy get the opportunity to practice like the other starting QBs.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

straighted —

RE: Lenon

I expect him to be ready, yes.

9. By Brazilian Fan on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren, nice coverage on training camp! Nice to see too that you try to keep smiling through the whole videos of the daily reports, which I guess that comes from seeing the advertising videos by Jay Feely speaking about sports concussion, where he is serious and a couple seconds later he is reminded by somebody from behind the cameras to smile… I laugh at it everytime I watch it…. but I still really like Jay, he’s a great guy
    Anyway… from what you listen frome the coaches, how will the TE’s rotate? I mean, there are now 4 guys there, that, of course, have a slightly different play, but, did they decide already about the depth chart or they’ll work in different packages?

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Brazilian —

RE: tight ends

I’m sure they are still figuring that out. If everyone is healthy, someone isn’t going to play much if at all.

11. By Cactus jeff on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Has the defense practiced the 4-3 in camp? And didn’t the defense experiment with the 4-3 during the 7-2 run?

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: 4-3/3-4

There are elements of the 4-3 in the scheme. In a lot of ways, the only change is whether the ROLB puts his hand down.

13. By Kevin S on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

“Confidence through experience is the only thing lacking a bit with Johnny S” — funny how when we like a player, we say he just needs “confidence” or “experience.” but when we dislike a player, we point to the specific things he does (in Kolb’s case, his detractors cite his leaving the pocket too quickly). I look at Skelton and I see some good things, but also a lot of wildly inaccurate throws (as in, DA-like), some of which the people who know more about these things say is attributable to poor footwork. Correctable? Perhaps. But simply a matter of “confidence”? Well, then you could just say Kolb needs more “confidence” to stay in the pocket and he’ll be a lot better. They both have plusses and minuses, so let’s not just overlook the weaknesses of one by saying he just needs “confidence through experience” so that we can then make a veiled swipe at a coach that we don’t like for not giving it to him. I still think it’s funny that some people seem to think the Cardinals are purposely trying to hold Skelton back. I mean, the Cards traded up to get him. If you think Skelton is so great, then the team ought to get some credit for drafting him.

14. By Kevin S on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

One thing is for sure, though… Kolb is in a position where, if he wins the job, certain fans aren’t going to be happy unless he and the team are REALLY successful — say, 10-6 and Cards in the playoffs. If they go 7-9 or 8-8, it’ll be too easy for those fans to sit back and say, they’d have done even better with Skelton (or at least as well), and the team could’ve saved millions, blah blah blah, knowing of course that their assertion can’t be disproven. The fact is that the team was very fortunate last year (4 OT wins, and not a single one of their 8 wins was convincing — none by more than a TD), and has a tougher schedule this year. Vegas casinos have the O/U on team wins at 6 1/2 at some places and 7 at others. Not saying that the team or its fans should be satisfied with anything 7 wins or more, just that fans of all teams tend to overestimate how good their team is. People looking at this team objectively aren’t expecting a whole lot.

15. By Brad Wheeler on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Kevin Kolb needs to be told for the Raiders game that he is not allowed to scramble at all, not even once, if he gets pressure he has to either get the ball out of his hands to someone down the field or a check-down or throw it away or take the hit, but never scramble. Obviously during regular season there is times where scrambling is the thing to do to make a play, but to develop his confidence in the pocket i think he needs to step up, trust the pocket, and even take some hits, see how he handles it, that’s the only way of telling if this guy has something or not, if it’s another game of him scrambling once every 3 plays then we’ll be no closer in knowing if he is the guy…

16. By azfiremagoo on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

In talking to the coaches and what you’ve seen how has Skelton looked pre-snap in reading D, checking out, and /or blocking adjustments vs that of Kolb? All I want is our QB to be great pre-snap with accuracy. Being big, athletic, with a strong arm is just gravy.

17. By georgiebird on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

John Skelton was never supposed to be a franchise QB. As a 5th round draft choice out of Fordham (near club football program), the odds of him making it were tremendous. He has more than held his own (winning more than losing) and John can be a place-holder until that “franchise guy” arrives.
    I worry much more about the defense and those 3rd and longs that almost always get converted. The Cardinal defense has always been a doormat in the NFL. The hiring of Ray Horton was a bad move especially when some good guys were available at the time. Ray is trying to bring the only defense he knows to the Cardinals whether it fits or not. To keep talking about those last 9 games of 2011 like it was some litmus test is a major miscalculation. Except for Peterson, the dbs and safeties are terrible in pass defense.

18. By jeffgollin on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

I’m beginning to think that Skelton performs best when there’s a sense of urgency, he’s under pressure and doesn’t have time to think too much. Kolb seems to be the opposite.

Perhaps this is what makes Skelton appear to be more of a gamer and Kolb the better practice player.

19. By Marcelof on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Hey Brazilian Fan…

I’m also from your land, actually Rio Grande do Sul which I consider a whole new country!

have ya got e-mail?!

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S —

RE: Confidence and QBs

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird —

RE: Miscalculation

22. By kmwatersaz on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Whiz needs the guts to start Lindley if he earns it in pre-season. He always says the best players will play on Sunday. Put up or shut up.
    And get a playbook that has more than ten plays in it. Other teams are showing much more imagination and creativity in their play selections. The Cardinals are way too predictable.

23. By David on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Ryen Russillo and Bram Weinstein just reported on ESPN Radio that the Cardinals are looking to add a new quarterback. Have you heard anything about this? If the report is true, which candidates do you feel the Cardinals would target? They had mentioned Colt McCoy. Is this really happening?

24. By Sir60 on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Being under-estimated can be a good thing. Perhaps the only good thing we can take out of the preseason, so far. Most of the good play we have seen is from players trying to make this team. They’re motivated. Batiste moving up on the depth chart should be a clarion call to all who feel comfortable.

25. By brad oneill on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

anyone calling for Lindley should turn in their football fan badge and go join a kick ball league.

26. By Louisville Card on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

With Toler getting hurt again is he in trouble of not making the team? With all the depth at DB seems like a really bad time to get hurt again…

27. By georgiebird on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    re: miscalculation
    In 2011, after collapsing against the Ravens, the Cardinal defense went up against some favorable matchups. There were inexperienced and young QBs and other favorable situations e.g Eagles wide receiver injuries & Cards relatively healthy.
    There is no doubt that the defense played better over the last 9 games- it would be hard not to. The point here is “This defense is not nearly good enough to carry the team in the face of a mediocre offense”.
    While there are some promising pieces to the defense in Campbell, Washington, Acho and PP; there are so many players that are suspect due to age, injury, or year on year progress. And the 3-4 is the wrong scheme.
    And I know you will disagree but our safety/cb tandem is one of the worst pass defense units in the league (that could be the result of little pass rush).
    So the defense has improved but nowhere near a force.

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

David —

RE: Adding a QB

Could it happen? I suppose. Right now, I don’t expect it.

29. By cardsalltheway on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

“Explain to me why counting the first half of last year means something, but the last half doesn’t.”

Because no team in the NFC made the playoffs with a 500 record and we lost 6 games in a row, we were 1-6. And we’ve never won 6 games in a row under Ken W. so we were for all practical purposes out of it early in the season.
    Note: We lost 7 consecutive games in 2010.
    Myth: Slow starts mean less than strong endings.
    After the smoke cleared early in our 2012 season…,
    …when players were just playing, late in the season they were playing for their jobs like never before.

kmwatersaz,
    If there really is a QB competition between Kolb/Skelton then we need to see a lot of them, not Lindley and there is less of a learning curve for R. Bartel. And, last I knew Bartel was ahead of Lindley so Bartel deserves more playing time. But I’m aware of M. Hall’s magical rise so nothing would surprise me.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Toler

I think more was expected from Toler at this point, yes.

31. By Kevin S on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Well we agree on something, cardsalltheway — we need to see more of Kevin and John, and no one should be talking about Lindley (at least as a possible starter for 2012) at this point. But why do you say “if there really is a QB competition…”? Do you doubt that there is one? Certainly, as many posters have pointed out, it’s not an ideal situation for the team to be splitting first-team reps with two QB’s throughout camp. So the only reason to do that for so long is if you are in fact trying to have a legitimate competition. I’m quite sure that if Whiz wanted to, he could simply have declared that Kolb was still his #1 guy either at the end of last year or beginning of camp this year. While all the Skelton fans would not have liked it, this would certainly have been a defensible position (and no, I don’t mean because of the investment in Kolb, but simply comparing JS’s and KK’s individual performances to date in their careers as NFL QB’s).

32. By azdesertrat1953 on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

[ I would like to say to DL Nick Eason. Hang in there Big Guy, there is a lot of Fans and Friends thinking about You. Don't Give Up. ]

JS is doing just fine, way ahead of where he was last year.

KK is doing better also.

But as a team, they better get there Stuff together with Oak. and for the next 18 games. I think the Ax Man may come if not.

GO CARDS!!!

33. By Spencer on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Condolences Eason, sorry to hear about your mother.

34. By clssylssy on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

ROFL!@Georgiebird…
    And what? Our win against the 9ers wasn’t a “favorable matchup?”…Every team needs a doomsday fan to keep them grounded and we have Georgiebird…LOL! Who would you have had us get instead of Horton? You always have all these negative remarks but I don’t think I’ve ever heard you make any suggestions?
    The Cards have a wealth of talent and probably the best coaching staff ever except in 08 when we had Haley (and boy could we use him now). This is just the preseason, the coaches are trying new things…it’s is a time to see what works and doesn’t before it counts. This team is a whole lot better off than some. We’ll see if Kolb is tough enough to stand up to the Raiders without getting hurt. Here’s hoping for the best ! GO CARDS!

35. By Jahstone on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Georgebird,

I disagree about the D. Have you been around the last 25 years?? Do you remember all the shootouts (and blowouts) at Sun Devil and all the bad D in the recent post-season??? We have the chance to have a top ten D and that will take us to 8 wins and hopefully more. Ray Horton almost made head coach and improved us to a level we haven’t seen since the Aeneas Williams days. I am feeling the “force” sir…don’t look too much into the Vanilla.

36. By Seth on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

For the people calling Lindley’s name, not to rain on your parade or anything, as many people have already said splitting starting time between two QB’s with the first team is bad enough. You want consistency and more reps to develop chemistry with a team, also the fact Lidnley has been playing third stringers and less so his numbers will be better. That is the variable with pre-season football. I have been a fan of Skelton since we drafted him but I have acknowledged that he needs to work on his accuracy, but I still think he will do better than Kolb because of his demeanor and attitude, as long as we dont give him a 60 mil contract too.

37. By cardsalltheway on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S,
    ” Well, then you could just say Kolb needs more “confidence” to stay in the pocket and he’ll be a lot better.”

60 + million dollars says confidence should never be in question with K. Kolb and besides he has more NFL experience than Johnny S. You sound like Kevin and Johnny S. are equals and/or treated the same, but I don’t think so.

38. By Louisville Card on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren, please tell me you’re kidding about Colt McCoy? They really don’t think they can find someone better at this point do they? We dont want to take another teams trash or a qb that has been sitting at home for a year.

Just go into this season with who you have take your lumps and pick a qb next year and roll with him. Management understands they know what the problem is and it’s not Whiz. Don’t you think that is the best option really at this point?

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: McCoy

Wait — did I say anything about Colt McCoy?

40. By clssylssy on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

What some fans are quick to overlook is that the Cards paid $67 million to Kolb and he hasn’t …for a variety of reasons and excuses… produced well enough to even justify paying league minimum. This is a guy with years of experience in the league; and while most people are held to some standard and have their pay based on performance, Kolb has not as yet, performed in a manner to earn the $67 mil. Adrian Wilson has contributed to the success of the Cards and took a cut, restructuring his deal to help the organization.; he is an asset and team player. Skelton is playing at the minimum and has outperformed Kolb consistently. even just being present on the field. How many people can keep a job when they don’t show up for work and have excessive absences? If the Organization is determined to stay with Kolb then he should be required to rework his contract so the Cards can bring in some help in the form of Linemen. I think a lot of fans are frustrated that while ticket prices don’t go down, money is spent on players who don’t perform. We have good depth at the QB position and I have a feeling we are going to need it down the road.

41. By Jahstone on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

QB’s

Still think we should have waited last season, got Bulger as a short term lease (by talking him into playing), and made the same trade, except for Palmer mid-season. Maybe that is speculation, but I could have seen that playing out well(Cincy needed DB help). No McNabb, no Kolb, No Jackson, No McCoy just a qualityQB that gives us a good chance of winning!

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

clssylssy —

RE: Kolb money

Kolb hasn’t gotten anywhere close to $67M.

43. By Louisville Card on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

In David’s earlier post you talked about it being a possibility…

Just hoping you can say it ain’t so…

44. By Kevin S on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Clssylssy — What Darren said about the 67M. And to say he didn’t produce enough to justify league minimum when he was the 17th highest qualifying QB last year is a little silly (as is saying he was “consistently outperformed” by Skelton who was near the bottom). Injuries happen. Sure, if he proves he can never get over them (and I know some fans believe this already) and will never play more than half a season, I’d dump him too. But let’s not overstate the case against Kolb (and I’ll promise not to overstate the case against Skelton).

45. By John Hunt on Aug 19, 2012 | Reply

Jamell Fleming had a rough night?
    He was the defensive star of the game!
    Those calls by replacement refs were B.S.!
    Fleming should have Gay’s starting job on opening day!