No “thinking about favorites and longshots”

Posted by Darren Urban on August 14, 2012 – 12:36 pm

Some lunchtime topics after coach Ken Whisenhunt talked to the media today, starting — of course — with the quarterbacks and the notion John Skelton is the favorite to win the job:

Whisenhunt said he was familiar with the ESPN report, but “we’re sticking to what we said, which is sticking with the process and let it play itself out.” Added Whisenhunt, “I haven’t gotten into thinking about favorites and longshots.” As for the report, which says unnamed sources within the team think Skelton could be the guy, Whisenhunt said he doesn’t put much stock in things said anonymously. “To me, that’s a way of saying ‘I could be making it up,’ ” Whisenhunt said.

Whiz insisted there is no timetable by when he wants to make the quarterback choice.

– Whiz said D’Anthony Batiste played well against the Chiefs, has had a good offseason and has earned his chance as first-unit right tackle and will get a chance to start there Friday against the Raiders.

– RB LaRod Stephens-Howling is nursing a sore groin and missed practice yesterday. Whiz said there’s no reason to push it and turn it into a two- or three-week injury. Stephens-Howling said he hoped to return to practice in the next couple of days.

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to “No “thinking about favorites and longshots””

1. By MoJo on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

What do you think about signing Jeff Demps? the guy can flat fly and should make a good addition to this team.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

MoJo —

RE: Jeff Demps

Who is he?

3. By theuglitruth on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Pitiful looking defense. I wonder if they will show up this weekend?

4. By Chuck 1 on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Oh, just relax everyone.
    They’re only preseason games and we all know that they don’t count.
    As Alfred E. Newman would say, “What, me worry.”

5. By AndyKw on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I think our defense will shine against the Raiders. Carson Palmer will probably struggle just as he did in Dallas. Watch out for Peterson and Wilson in this game. We will force more than 1 turnover. Skelton and Kolb will do fine in this game but I expect Skelton to do better.

6. By Gary shaw on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Would someone please tell me why isn’t Russ Grim not catching hell if not fired for his horrible coaching and choice of the offensive linemen we have? Rod Graves and Russ Grim has crippled this team with one of the weakest offensive lines in the league even when we got to the super bowl the line was OUR WEAKEST PART OF OUR TEAM! Russ Grim and Rod Graves should have been fired the several years ago!

7. By MIKE G on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! Looking forward to the upcoming season. Want to see the rookies improve in the remaining pre-season games. Also looking forward to see Ryan Williams and Beanie come back from their injuries. Hopefully the team will play better in this Raider game. I thought we performed poorly the first 2 pre-season games. This is a monster game for Kolb at this point– he must show something. I think Skelton has the inside track for the job at this point. The defense must improve the tackling aspect of their game. Darren – Do you think Dan Williams will improve on his play from a year ago??? – I know his weight is down need him to be a factor this year!!!

8. By Jesse Robles on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

The thing that sucks about this weeks game, we play the Raiders on Friday, who played on Monday night, 2 Rest days and 1 Travel day, if they dont show up against them, good luck. We need to see these QB’s, not Lindley, leave these guys in like Luck, play each for a quarter, 6 passes a game isn’t going to cut it. Why doesnt the ALL MIGHTY WHIZ, go after Charlie Whitehurst again? OR Max Hall, Derrick Anderson, Ken Whisenhunt is not a great QB Scout if you ask me, can someone else make these Decisions? I know Kolb was the only guy out there, but all the gauranteed money for a Prequal to Matt Flynn, is redic. Thewhole give this guy a full offseason line is old too, especially when ZERO strides were made this offseason. Lets Go CARDS!

9. By brad oneill on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

nursing a sore groin? just bad imagery there.

10. By rdixon50 on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Demps is a speedster from U of Florida. SEC rules!

11. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

theuglitruth,
    “Pitiful looking defense. I wonder if they will show up this weekend?”

Do you think Ken W. wants Matt Leinart to play well in our house and possibly show everyone that the decision to cut him was incorrect? You can be sure there will be something special planned for M. Leinart, the “no game planning/no scheming” rule goes out the window Friday night.

I do think Matt Leinart will get a warm welcome by our generous fans this Friday night against the Raiders. However, fan attendance appears to be down this preseason, I’d say stadiums have only been approximately 50% full or less? Will the game be blacked-out on home T.V.’s?

12. By cardsalltheway on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

I also think Matt Leinart will be a special attraction which sells more tickets, fans will go to the game wearing his old # 7 jersey.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Dan Williams

They are certainly counting on him to play well. I think we need to see it in game play first.

14. By Steward Badly on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Where did the crowd “give Kevin Kolb a full offseason to learn the offence” go? LOL. KK flaws are the same, I see no pocket presence, scared to get hit. Same old KK.

15. By straightedgerevenge on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

random question, but does anyone know if the game on friday will be on the radio?

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

straighted —

RE: Radio

Yes. It will be on KTAR 92.3 FM.

17. By sackman on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway

R U Serious? Matt Leinart has fans that will go to the game wearing his old # 7 jersey

18. By rojobird on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren… as usual thanks for all the information you provide.. Hope u are doing well and are as anxious as us for the regular season to start despite all the negativity by some of the “FANS”.. I know it takes the whole team to win games but in offense I think 30 percent comes from the Oline and 70 percent comes from the QB to win games…. What do you think??? Whats your percentage?

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2012 | Reply

rojobird —

RE: Percentages

I don’t know how I’d break it down but I know that without a quarterback, it’s very hard to win games.

20. By chevy on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

He also won gold in the 4X100 in the Olympics last week.

21. By cardsalltheway on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Stewart Badley,
    “Where did the crowd “give Kevin Kolb a full offseason to learn the offence” go?”

The silence is deafening. I thought that continuous excuse was all nonsense, didn’t Darren give us that one too? Every player and team had to deal with the same situation last year and players/QB’s are playing under or with new systems every year but somehow that never mattered. K. Kolb was different, he needed the full OTA’s more than anyone else, hah!