Raiders aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 18, 2012 – 12:31 am

Not only did the Cards win a game Friday night, but there was an awful lot going on beyond just an outcome. Some very, very good. Some potentially very bad. Whatever you want to say about Levi Brown, but if he is out for an extended period of time, it bodes poorly for the Cards. Coach Ken Whisenhunt has to look at the video, but asked specifically about tackles D’Anthony Batiste and D.J. Young after the game, the first things he thought of about both were plays on which they were beaten. Batiste, who started on the right side, would be a left tackle option. So would Jeremy Bridges. We’ll see.

– The Twitterverse was counting on the quarterback situation to be resolved tonight. Nope. Whiz made it clear he wants to see John Skelton in extended time in Tennessee first. Kevin Kolb started very well, but then it got worse. Some of that was blocking, some was field position, and I know many fans don’t care about that anymore.

– Center Lyle Sendlein was asked about the idea that Skelton seems to get a little better protection. It was awkward – I’m not sure he saw the question coming – but he answered it.

“I think it’s just pure chance,” Sendlein said. “It’s nothing done differently. We don’t block harder for one guy and not try as hard for the other guy. I think situationally we were backed up with Kevin a lot. With John we had some turnovers and short drives. It’s just pure chance.”

– Speaking of Kolb, Raiders defensive end Tommy Kelly took a shot at him after the game, calling Kolb “skittish” and “scared.” “He ain’t even trying to look at the routes no more.” Interesting analysis (although I’m not 100 percent sure how a lineman working hard getting to the QB can necessarily tell that on the field.) It’s a perception Kolb is going to be fighting going forward.

– With everything going on it felt like in my story I gave rookie Justin Bethel the short shrift. All he did was block a punt and return it for a touchdown and then block an extra point, giving him three blocked kicks this preseason already. He’s made the team. That seems a certainty.  My cohort Josh Weinfuss will have more on Bethel Sunday in a story he’s working on, but clearly, that kind of special teams production won’t be overlooked.

– Ryan Williams looked very good in his return. He took his hits, he broke off a 15-yard run, and he scored a touchdown – which, as usually happens, ended with Larry Fitzgerald making sure he got the ball. “I totally forgot about the football, because you’re not allowed to do that in college,” Williams said. “Larry grabbed me and hugged me and said, ‘I’m proud of you and I’m glad we got you back.’ ”

A great gesture. I am guessing the football from the first touchdown that counts will mean even more.

– Rookie CB Jamell Fleming had a rough night, with a unnecessary roughness call hitting a receiver (questionable) and a pass interference (questionable). But as questionable as they were, they still count against you.

– Safety Rashad Johnson was out of uniform by the time the game ended. Not sure if he got dinged or what the reason was.

– Raiders quarterback Matt Leinart’s return was cut short after he left needing stiches on a finger. He finished 5-for-8 for 66 yards. “It felt really good to be out there,” Leinart said. “It was kind of weird at first just to be back, but it felt good.”

– The first-team defense was much better. It needs to be. The turnovers were a good start. “We didn’t tackle well or play with any emotion (the first two games),” safety Kerry Rhodes said. “We wanted to come out here and be emotional, just play like a kid and have fun.”

OK, it’s late. Whiz said he hoped to have more info on Levi tomorrow (later today I guess, less than 12 hours).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

62 Responses to “Raiders aftermath”

1. By John on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

No mention of Bradley? I thought he made a pretty good impression tonight.

2. By T. Stone on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren RE; (although I’m not 100 percent sure how a lineman working hard getting to the QB can necessarily tell that on the field.)

I will tell you how and I am in Alaska watching it.

The DE’s Talk, you know this, so stop trying to sugarcoat it. They are looking at pictures sent down during the game, and the defense can see what he was doing. They might see it in the Cardinals linemen faces. They Know!. They Said it, We know it. “That Boy is Scared” Block this post if you want but stop with the I don’t know stuff. You Know, your too smart not to know.

3. By t.stone on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

No Comments huh? I have one after the other one. See ya later Kevin Kolb. Nice Knowing you. Thanks for taking the Cardinals money and giving them the proverbial bird. PUN intended.

4. By Corgon on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

It’s nice to see how we use more and more A Sherman. He showed last year, he could be a great FB and he has hands as well. He could be a really imortant part of this offense. (of course not 1000 yrds or something, but few surprise play, like this TD pass)

I’m really happy for R. Williams. I can’t wait to see how the O will work in the next game with Skelton+Williams.

J. Bethel is a beast. Period.

A-Dub was all over the fiel, that was nice too.

Kerry has an INT again. Good.

J. Fleming looks a bit like PP21 one year ago. That can’t be bad. And that UR call was really-really….let say questionalbe.

This game was really positive in a lot’s of different way’s and that’s a good sign. OK not the aspect of K.Kolb. I think now everything is in Skelton’s hands. Kolb has done everything to loose the starting spot, now Skelton has to proove he can be the one and then next week the competition will be over.

5. By straightedgerevenge on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

i just bought the nfl preseason live package hoping to hear own commentators on the call tonight, but instead i get to listen to the raiders broadcast team… #whydidibuythisagain?

6. By CORMAC on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

So it be the luck o tha Irish for Skelton ehy??? Well hell, I will take it!! Sprinkle some salt over yer back and make the sign to ward off the evil eye while your at it.
    For whatever reason, Skelton seems to shine brighter than KOLB.

I know everyone says that they are waiting for someone to stand out, well Skelton has by far outshined KOLB. Give the lad his due, he has earned it…. IF they focus on Skelton, perhaps he will get even better…. or luckier , whatever works.

7. By BIG RED on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

How can you expect it to be the same in Tennessee with John Skelton, away and without L. Brown. Com’on man. Just give up and admit it, Kolb sucked at home and I don’t care about those three completions they were nothing and honestly you can tell when someone is scared when your in the game. Sad, but com’on man it’s over with kolb.

8. By cardsalltheway on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

0.00 is what Kevin Kolb’s QB rating was going into the game. Does anyone know what his rating is now? I can’t believe people/coach is/are/were debating who our QB should be.

“I think it’s just pure chance,” Sendlein said.”

Is Sendlein really our OL captain? I sure wish we had a captain that could say something other than “it’s just pure chance.” We don’t bode well if that’s how our OL looks at protecting our QB. Does Grimm teach them that it’s just “pure chance?” Let’s huddle up guys…It’s just pure chance we’re going to protect you(QB) this play, and the next, and the next, etc…If it were just a “chance” I might let them block for me but not when it’s a “pure chance.”

9. By Suspence716 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

darren-
    You still continually make excuses for Kolb. Tommy Kelly said he’s skittish and scared. How would he know this? Cause he’s a starter in the national football league who gets to be very close to the quarteback on almost every play being that he is a defensive lineman trying to eat that quarterback for lunch. Lets just call it how it really is, Kolb started out with 3 good quick throws but then flat out sucked! Held the ball way too long, should have gotten rid of it but only Kolb can go backwards 33 yards and get intentional grounding. I don;t get how u can keep defending this guy when his play speaks volumes! Does kolb take you out to lunch everday? I know he’s loaded!!!!!

10. By Christo on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Could the Levi Brown disaster era finally be over?

Could we really be that lucky?

Don’t cry Ladies and Gents he is the worst LT in the entire NFL. He should have been replaced (Or moved to G) YEARS ago. Maybe this will force Whiz and Co. to adjust, and maybe that will give our QB’s a little more time.

11. By Tyler on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

It did not look good with Kolb toward the end but you have to give the guy credit for staying in the pocket I think he made a big Improvement with that. Even though fans are tired of hearing about the O-line u can’t ignore crappy play on there part when they are backed up on the field in there own end zone protection has to be pretty solid to get a play off there and I am not surprised about the safety with the o-line that we have.

12. By Andy Kw on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

This is what I am talking about. The Cardinals improved a lot from the last 2 games. They are now tackling decently and they are improving but I feel they still need to improve on the Defensive Line and the Pass Coverages. We are still allowing too many yards in the air and we are allowing quite a lot of yards on the ground. But this is a start and I am liking it. Ryan Williams looked spectacular and our 1st unit defense looked good. Patrick Peterson did well on the return game so we know that he still has that agility. So far, our Special Teams, and Running game looks pretty good. Our Wide Receivers still need to catch better and our Quarterbacks still need to improve accuracy. We didn’t have O’Brien Schofield or Paris Lenon so our defense wasn’t at 100%. The first 10 cuts to 80 will probably be:
    WR Gino Crump
    DB Eddie Elder
    WR Tre Gray
    LB Marcus McGraw
    LB Zach Nash
    DB James Nixon
    P Ricky Schmitt
    DE Everrette Thompson
    LB Paul Vassallo
    OL Scott Wedige

The next 25 cuts will be:
    QB Richard Bartel (Cards like Lindley and they haven’t given Bartel a fair chance)
    CB Crezdon Butler

The possible last 2 cuts:
    CB Michael Adams
    CB A.J Jefferson
    LB Quentin Groves
    T Senio Kelemete

13. By big red fan on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Leinart. Gotta love it. He was the high-paid answer a few years back, but Whiz made the right decision to go with Kurt. He will pick the right guy this time too.

14. By Matt on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Rod Graves sounds like Clevland from Family Guy LOL

15. By Cynicalogre on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

I am impressed with Powell, seems like he may be the real deal. Time will tell. I also think Bradley is finally getting it. Go Cardsssssss.

16. By johnnybluenose on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

hi darren. did not see any of the game. i am glad we won but when i saw the score this morning i must admit to being disappointed. i was expecting us to win convincingly. it seems like this was a game that could have gone either way and if not for a couple of big turnovers that resulted in a touchdown and a near touchdown we likely would have lost. i know it’s exhibition and i know that the raiders scored points on turnovers too. i just don’t feel like celebrating and i was hoping i would. too bad about levi. let us all hope he can play. williams seems fine. that’s great. we are going to need him. good game by powell. he deserves to play in this league. bethel is impressive. still no closer to picking a qb only three weeks before we play for real. i have to think skelton is the guy, mostly because kolb hasn’t claimed it. from reading about the game our defense seems satisfied with their performance. really? do you think they have lived up to expectations?they seem pretty ordinary to me. i was also reading about the large number of fights in the stands and of large numbers of raider fans being escorted out of the stadium and of one raider fan shooting a cardinal fan in the face in one of the stadium parking lots. this is pretty bad. i know you were watching the action on the field but do you have any comment or insight on the behaviour of the fans at the game last night? everyone should be able to cheer for whatever team they favour without worrying they could be physically assaulted. is this becoming a problem or more of a problem than it used to be? didn’t a san francisco giants fan almost die last year at a game? it’s past time for this kind of stuff to stop and more needs to be done to make certain that real fans are not put at risk by the few idiots and or thugs who attend these games and think it’s ok to get drunk and belligerent. there, that’s my rant for the day. now, i am off to attend a friend’s wedding. no doubt, there will be a few drunk and belligerent fans there as well.

17. By D on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

A Chad Clifton better at L. Tackle than J. Bridges? DJ isn’t ready yet-might as well bring Chad in for a look see

18. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Fleming had a great goal line pass defensed. Hit was clean, not questionable, they played it over and over on TV tape.

OL is our big issue, Kolb is fine with protection. We don’t have 1 good OT after Levi, much less 2. Bridges, Young and Batiste looked like turnstyles. Year after year, OL weak; calls into question what Russ Grimm has been doing. Results oriented league, that’s where we’ve chronically under achieved… neglected drafting talent but no clear remediation from coach Grimm.

This team may be in trouble unless we catch a lucky star in free agency after cuts, at OT.

19. By reap37 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Concerned about Levi. The last thing we need is to have an experienced tackle not playing. Liked the team spirit of everyone and it showed on the field, especially the defense. It looks like the team responds better to Skelton. Kolb looked scared and appears to wait way too long for receivers to “get open.” This is the NFL for Pete’s sake, throw the receiver open. I think the Wiz has only one choice.

20. By Marco on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

I don’t like Matt Leinart at all but I have to give him props for the hit he took from Lumpkin. I think if Kolb would have taken that one, he would be in the coma right now dreaming about the 7mil signing bonus he got this year for doing nothing…..

21. By Marco on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

But all in all this game was nice to watch. Cards played decent and showed some improvement. GO Cards GO

22. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

LT:
    Darren, I know it is premature to talk too much about who would step into Levi’s position but I would throw Kelemte into consideration. He played LT in college and has been solid at LG. I would give him a chance. Neither Batiste nor Bridges have been overly impressive at RT so why not give Kelemete a chance. Wedige could bring depth both at LG and center should Brown have to go on IR.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

John —

RE: Bradley

I agree, Stewart played well. I should have mentioned both he and Powell. What can I say? I was late.

24. By Rio on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

KOLB TRADE IS THERE A LEMON LAW FOR FOOTBALL TRADES.

25. By emm7777 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

A few things…

Michael Adams should be cut. We have Justin Bethel now for special teams. And yeah, Flemming had a real rough night, but would Adams have done any better?

Reggie Walker was playing like a starter! That was fun to watch.

Whiz is killing this team with the QB comp. You can make whatever excuses you want with Kolb (and people still will), Skelton is clearly the better choice. How this is even an argument anymore continues to bewilder me.

Ryan Williams was getting LOW on his cuts! He looked good and I am very excited for him. I might have to pick him super early in Fantasy just so I know I will have him for sure!

26. By azfiremagoo on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Not good on the Brown front, but next man up whoever it may be and personel dept definitely need to make few calls. Finding a replacement won’t be easy but must get at least an experienced vet. Skelton has to be the guy! All the reps we can get him the next two games the better. Start catering the playbook to his strengths and go forward. Does anyone really think he wouldn’t play anyway with Kolb either bailing the pocket and getting crushed or holding it forever and getting crushed.

27. By Cactus jeff on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Skelton wins…

So who are the 4 best LBs…..Washington, Walker and Bradley were making plays all over the field. Flemming passed the eye test! Memo to Whiz, throw the ball to Floyd! 3-4 is wasting DDs talents, not a good fit.

28. By scubasteve12 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

People are being way to hard on Kolb. It wouldnt matter of kolb was 15 for 15 200yards and 5TDs. they would still say he sucked. pretty sad. classless fans

29. By CodyZarr on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

This game made me happy. I saw more good than bad for the first time this preseason which is encouraging from a fan’s perspective. Obviously we still have some problems but if we keep cleaning up at this rate we’ll be ready come regular season.

30. By Chuck 1 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

It was a win.
    A win is a win is a win.
    However, the Raiders aren’t the second coming of the Vince Lombardi Pack.
    So, we can’t tell much from the win.

Some of us have been beating the drums for a few years about the poor drafting and FA signings by Graves. When will the Turk “cut” him? Never.

Nor will Grimm be “cut”, even though he obviously hasn’t done his job. He’s too much of a friend with Whiz.

31. By Rio on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

SCUHASTEVE 12——————————————————-
    I THINIK YOU SHOULD HOLD YOUR BREATH UNTIL KOLB GOES 15 FOR 15.
    YOU MUST BE A RELATIVE.

32. By KDubAdub1324 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Man, regardless of it not being announced yet, I think Skelton will get the nod and I think this Raider game was the deciding factor. I could be wrong of course, still one more relevant preseason game. Kolb hung in the pocket today and took some lickings. He looked nice on the first drive. The protection was there for him. I actually thought he looked more comfortable, but I think the protection loosened and was more of an issue. But I see the positive in that he stayed in there and tried to go through his reads and took the shots. On the other hand, even though Skelton had me both throwing the remote across the room out of anger and hugging the TV in excitement last year, he looked good in his short time last night and I think he has shown quicker improvement than Kolb from last year in this preseason. I have been giving Kolb the benefit of the doubt since last year, never bashed him, and was hoping he could overcome all the pressure and negativity surrounding him and progress, but it’s just not working out for him and we are now 3 games into the preseason. It seems like when he’s in there, more issues surface. When Skelton is, not as much. Even though its still preseason, I’ve grown more confident in Skelton and I think between the two he may give them the best chance to win. the regular season will give him the chance to improve his consistency. The defenses for why Kolb isn’t producing results has been wearing thin and has got the point now where people just don’t care and are fed up. At some point, results have to surface and Skelton has shown better signs. I’ve always said this; I didn’t have a preference of who was at the helm just so long as they were the better Q. Skelton appears to be that guy right now…..Defense looked good, very impressed. I think Stew Bradley is on his way to starting this year. Good to have Ryan Williams back. Man, if he and Beanie can stay healthy, AZ’s running game is going to be big force this year. Cant wait for the season to come

33. By JeffL on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Scubasteve12: You’ve got to be kidding me. I wish Kolb was 15 of 15 w/ 5 TDs, but the fact is he’s 5/15 with the 3rd lowest QB rating of ALL NFL QBs this preseason…. which does “suck” and is “pretty sad”.

34. By clssylssy on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Scubasteve…oh get real man! This is a business and not high school. Kolb didn’t have a good night but having had two previous concussions and other injuries, and staring down those Raider thugs, with no protection from our O- line, it is understandable that he would appear nervous. I’m just glad he didn’t get hit harder, like Leinert did, because he couldn’t take a hit like that. We made a lot of stupid mistakes (too many players on the field?…geez!) that will be fixed by the time of our opener against Seattle. Just hope when we get a large lead we don’t get complacent and blow it, which I have seen happen so often. Saw some impressive play by our young newcomers… Powell, Bethel, Ryan Williams, Fleming and others were very encouraging….and what about Kerry Rhodes! Way to go Man!
    Darren, any official statement about the shooting incident outside the stadium that is all over the news but says nothing really? It’s always better to get the fact from an official source than to have to rely on Twitter and comments made at the end of posts etc. The Cardinals have always had outstanding security but I have to admit I was glad I didn’t take my kiddos to that game because I heard the Raider fans were starting fights and getting kicked out all during the game.
    I was talking to my friend in California when it happened and she was getting live coverage while the people in Phoenix were getting a bunch of commercials…Apparently, this is not the first time the Raiders have had shooting incidents at preseason games (last year against the 9ers) and I’m wondering how the Organization is planning on dealing with fan safety in the future?
    The officiating was terrible and I sure hope the owners are pressuring the Commissioner to get this fixed before regular season!

YEP! RED SEA IS RISING!

35. By Rio on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

RUNNING BACK WIZ, YOU MUST KEEP POWER HE IS THE REAL DEAL

36. By brad oneill on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

on Kolb being skittish and scarred- yup he looked that way. The little voice in his head just doesnt seem to be talking to him fast enough. Git rid of the da ball man!!! they are coming down on top of you. I cant remember another player that has given up as many safeties per play behind the 5 yard line. part of it may be play calling, you cant wait for stuff to develop with our offensive line you have to get through the reads fast and fling it.

now as of the opposing DE calling him out, I think this is way out of proportion, if you dont think Dockett says similar stuff every game to opposing qbs you just aren’t paying attention.

37. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway

I think Kolb is up to a 19 QBR and Skeltons 138 last nite has him up to 77 QBR.

38. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

scubasteve12

You sir are living in a fantasy world. I take it your a Kolb fan? Whats your opinion of Skeltons stats vs. Kolbs? Lets try staying based in reality. Not some fantasy what if Kolb threw for yada yada yada. People aren’t being too hard on Kolb, he’s played poorly. Skelton looks like he’s improved every year in the league. Sometimes fans go overboard with the personal attacks, I agree, but face the facts, Skelton is playing much better. He’s 8-4 for the 2 years he’s been in the league and seeing as his stats right now for his first 2 years are as good as Elways were when he came in the league, I say he deserves the job. He’s looked poised as a QB ever since they threw him in the game year before last and he drove the team down the field to beat Dallas. I was impressed from that moment in the leadership potential this guy possessed.

39. By watson tom on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Just to commitment about you defending Kolb, not only do you defend him you give skelton no credit. You stated that skelton’s drive was short and after a turn over. Wasn’t Kolb’s TD drive after a long punt return leaving a short field for him. But you didn’t say anything about that. Why didn’t you ask the center why they didn’t block as well for Kolb, instead of why they blocked better for skelton. When an O lineman knows where his QB is and is going to react to the pressure it’s easier for them to block. Skelton steps up into the pocket to avoid the rush or moves up and over staying in the pocket makes an O line mans job better. Not knowing how your QB is going to react makes it harder.

40. By john the draft guy on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Alright, here are my two cents;

The Reggie Walker/Bradley rotation is really good. Both guys played so well it wonders where Lenon would fit coming back. With Studivant playing his best game, it will be interesting to see who the 4 ILBs are.

Bethel. enough said. love him.

Watching the 4th quarter, I realized some good players are going to be cut. Do you take a chance on a young player or be sure with a vet backup.

Loved ADUB. The raiders looked to isolate and pick on him and he rose to the occation. It is one thing to tell the team to pick it up, it is another to back up your own words.

Why do teams kick to PP???

William Powell vs Antonio Smith- Powell wins big.

Mike Floyd; Is it time to move him to left tackle? All I see him do is block down field. (Which he does very well)
    He is getting no separation.

Nice to see Williams, watch the nice block Fitz gets to free him on the 15yd run.

41. By john the draft guy on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Now for the QBs;
    Scubasteve12 and others, there is a reason the back lash on Kolb is happening. I will give you some example of what I saw;

Kolb hits Sherman for a 5 yd gain seemed good. But please watch this play from behind. The pre snap read has the safeties playing out towards the hashes. As the ball in snapped, Heap reads this, pushes down the field and runs a post that would be a touchdown. Kolb takes the snap, never looks at anyong but sherman and fits in a tight pass for 5 yds.

Kolb on the play he threw it to our lineman;
    Initially, the raiders have the right defense called, but Fitz reads the defense, cuts the route and sits on the goal line in front of Kolb. Kolb never sees him and gets hit, ect.

The safety;
    Kolb drops back, hits his back foot and does not have his #1 wr open, instead of hitting the back to his right, he holds on to the ball and gets sacked.

I don’t think he can be fixed. I believe he decides who is throwing to as he exits the huddle. I think Skelton wins by default.

42. By Red cards on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

whatever scuba too hard in kolb hahahaha

43. By Kevin S on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

I have to this point supported Kolb, and will continue to do so whether he is a backup or starter because he’s a Cardinal. That said, I’ve also maintained throughout this whole preseason that, yes, Whiz is in fact having a legitimate QB competition, despite all the skeptics who said he’d just play Kolb because of stubbornness or the money they paid or whatever. And Skelton is winning it. While I thought Kolb had a chance to slience some of the critics after the first drive last night, nothing he did after that looked good. Yes, O-line protection wasn’t good after that, and for whatever reason seems better with Skelton — his 3 for 3 was a lot like Kolb’s 3 for 3 on the opening drive; all good protection, all throws on the money for both. Skellton didn’t play after that so we never got to see him again, but considering Kolb’s play after that, hard to say Skelton shouldn’t be the QB at this point unless he completely bombs next week.

44. By georgiebird on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

With all the bashing of Kolb going on, you stand out as a “let’s wait and see” guy. To many of us, it seems strange that you can’t see the obvious. I just wonder if taking the “hit” for Kolb has made you good buddies with Whiz. If so, good career move as long as Whiz stays around.

45. By okcardsfan on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

If it is true that they block harder for Skelton than Kolb then they should all be cut. They are getting paid to block for whoever is under center anything less is unproffesional.

46. By horned frog on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

qb situation sounds fishy. beware of the unexpected.

47. By Sarah on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

I wish people here would learn to spell or differentiate between the likes of their and there !

Skelton has to prove against the Titans that he can execute a first half, if he does then Kolb should go. I mean we have given Kolb 19 million and he is the same as last year, a trade to salvage would be optimal. The problem with a trade is that his value is so diminished, maybe Philly would want him, as it stands he would be a very expensive backup. I honestly think that he would have a tough time even landing a CFL position, maybe that may be an option to prove himself. In the NFL much is hype and draft machination, Arizona never got a full picture of his abilities due to limited playing time, rather they acted on PR and a short playing window. Are we going to waste another year trying to see if he is the guy or do we cut our losses ? Skelton has huge upside and I like Lindley (albeit he is raw), I was disappointed not to see Bartel get some time to gauge his abilities. If it is Skelton we need a reliable backup, worse case rework Kolb’s contract as backup .

At the end of the day Skelton is the team and fan pick, never mind the media and any rational observer. He looks the part and has confidence and size never mind savvy and arm strength. He came out of a good program with NYC exposure which obviously benefited him. Management needs to own to making a hasty and costly decision on Kolb. Ironically it was Leinert that caused this situation, he was hyped out of the draft and blew it and Arizona had no backup plan and was left with rookies to succeed. Skelton is ready let’s pull the trigger, it is seriously his to blow.

48. By okcardsfan on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Thats true. And if Skelton went 5 for 20 with three interceptions they would just say he needs more reps. He already has an extra year on him why isn’t he the clear starter if be is that good.

49. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Maybe we find out about Kelemete early as well as Massie? Potter .. every write says he lacks strength, that won’t change this season…

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

georgie —

RE: Kolb

Yep, you figured me out.

Let me ask you this: why do you care? I have no official say in this race. No one is listening to my opinion with the team. I put up all your constant rants over and over, so you get your say too. I’ve said a couple of times, if I was making the call, I would go with Skelton right now. But I apologize if I’m not ready to jump off a bridge like so many all the time. I’ll leave the overreactions to others.

51. By dean bower on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

watson tom
    very good point.
    i will just say tha when Whiz starts giving Skelton the attention he deserves rather then chasing a maraj (Kolb) then the team from my veuw point will be better for it.
    GO Skelton ang GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. By cardsalltheway on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

horned frog,
    “qb situation sounds fishy. beware of the unexpected.”

Do you mean Kevin Kolb will be our starting QB no matter what? For good reason I won’t be surprised.

53. By alexmannsportskings on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren, there was a play where Kolb came to the sideline, (I believe it was his last drive which was the FG) and he asked Whisenhunt a question, Whiz shook his head and Kolb seemed to nod. Have you asked what that was about, or is it just another sideline chat?

54. By scubasteve12 on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

sorry i just get annoyed when fans attack our own team. i believe everyones hatred towards kolb is sending a bad vibe to the cardinals and causing them to play bad

55. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2012 | Reply

Alexmann –

RE: conversation

I ave no idea. Didn’t see the moment.

56. By bluepitt on Aug 19, 2012 | Reply

WoW, there are some really stupid people in here..Sarah, Ill spell how I want! and Matty didnt cause the problem.. Whiz did, matt would have been better than DA. And to the guy that said he was glad Whiz picked Warner over Leinart, We all were, that was a no brainer. but wer you glad he picked DA over Matt? Hellz NO! Matt looked better than Skelton and Kolb! He was driving his second team O on our second team D when palmer couldnt drive the starters on our 2nd team D!
    I think if Matty would have stayed in, it would have been a loss for us. Now not even close VS our starting D. But Matty looked good..and people do grow up.. I think Matt did.

I have been verry crappy to Darren but never treated him like some of these post’s you people need to chill out! Darren is welcome to his opinion to! as long as it is the same as mine!!! llol JK, D

57. By suspence716 on Aug 19, 2012 | Reply

@alexmann – I saw that too, When Kolb came off after his last series he came up to Whiz and asked him something and whiz pulled his headset off his ear n barked back at kolb “NO!” n shook his head. I was suprised nobody else brought this up. I bet Kolb asked him “can I have another series coach?”

58. By Kevin S on Aug 19, 2012 | Reply

bluepitt — come on, still bringing Leinart into the discussion? This will now be his 3rd season since being released… 32 teams need a starting QB each year — wouldn’t one of them given him a job if he were that good?

59. By Scott H on Aug 19, 2012 | Reply

bluepitt –

Um…didn’t you vow to disappear and never come back? Let me guess…you couldn’t make it on the outside?

60. By Frank on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Yes guy Kolb is no good why did they get him Skelton is a lot better and he should be our starter we could had more win’s with him if they would of played him earlier last year .But we will see what Wiz think’s I still think Skelton should get the nod for us this yr and foward. Kolb SUCK REAL BAD WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY ON THIS DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CARDS WE DO IT TOGETHER

61. By bluepitt on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S
    Yes i’m still bitter over the leinfart thing!!!!I It was a never know kind of thing.. It really was. I was at UPS his rook year and he didn’t do bad at all. Not Warneresque, but not bad.. and by the way it has been 3 seasons of suck at the QB. If he had his chance fair and square, then that is what it is, I bring Matty up because we were playing his team and he played.. BTW he never had a shot after what WHIZ did to him.. Ill take a broken collar bone over chicken any day, at least we know 4 sure he is hurt!

Scott H
    Where have you been, I’ve owned this blog since day one! I said all these things every one is saying now last year!!!!! But no..I have no clue!!! I said DA sucked prior to his first game, but noooo you all defended him (at first) I said last year when you all jumped on me that Kolb was scarrrred and frail! butNOOOO
    you all tried to chase me out after I called him out!!!
    hahaha Is that all you got? I’m not on the outside because I have to keep letting you know what is going to happen, then laugh after you attack me, then watch you turn coat the very next season when it happens!!! hahahha I win!
    Proof you ask look up my posts, there still their….

Just to let you know I hope I’m wrong but every one in here on Skeltons Jock is dead wrong about him…. With the big not skeerd arm comes very high risk..
    He doesn’t have it upstairs yet, and may never have it…

2. Aug 18, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Kolb responds to Kelly’s comments