Quarterbacks staying patient

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2012 – 6:53 pm

The wait for a quarterback is going to continue. And the quarterbacks know this.

Both John Skelton and Kevin Kolb were unfazed today when it was relayed that coach Ken Whisenhunt said he didn’t see “any reason” to make a decision on the starting quarterback before the final preseason game. It makes sense, because in the past, Whisenhunt waited too, whether it was Leinart-Warner or Anderson-Leinart. But Whiz insisted the past had nothing to do with the present.

“As superstitious everyone thinks I am, I’m not doing it because that’s what we did before,” Whisenhunt said. “I just want to make sure we have enough situational evaluations of these players to make that decision.”

Both quarterbacks insist they aren’t anxious. That’s what they are saying. “I take it day by day,” Kolb said. That’s all they can do. It was pointed out by Kent Somers that the QBs have had a similar number of snaps (33 for Skelton, 32 for Kolb) and I’d think that would continue. So the debate will rage on for at least another week, in all probability.

– Tight end Todd Heap left afternoon practice early with a stinger. Linebacker Daryl Washington was absent with a death in the family. Sitting out practice were cornerback Greg Toler (knee), tight end Steve Skelton (back), linebacker O’Brien Schofield (knee), safety Rashad Johnson (abdomen strain), fullback Jared Crank (neck) and wide receiver Early Doucet (back).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

51 Responses to “Quarterbacks staying patient”

1. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Any risk Toler or Rashad Johnson get cut?

2. By Tim on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Warner or Leinart… lol, that must have been a really tough decision.

3. By Steward Badly on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

At this point Kevin Kolb is fighting Richard Bartel for the backup job, I think Coach Wishenhunt is evaluating who can be the backup to John Skelton. End of story, lets move on.

4. By john the draft guy on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

It would seem to me that Toler could be on the bubble. We know PP and Gay are in and so are Bethal and Fleming. ( I heard Bethel has been working at CB this week in camp) With Toler out and Jefferson playing, Toler could be ousted.

5. By cdubbbbbbb on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Sando basically said the Cardinals offense looked like crap today and there were all kinds of passes on the ground, had nothing good to say about any unit.

How did they really look not through the eyes of a Seahawk homer?

6. By dstock21CardinalsWINRLOSE on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Let’s have faith that even with a plug in at left tackle John Skelton takes this opportunity to make quick, decisive, accurate reads and throws, leads a couple touchdown drives and ends this Quarterback hoopla!!! Even without stellar Quarterback play we should be able to establish one hell of a running game with Wells, Williams, Stevens-Howling, and Powell coming on hopefully. We don’t have to rely on throwing the ball all the time, control the clock, use play action to get Fitz his catches and the Quarterback some time, let our defense do what it does (creating more turn overs this year), and special teams come on with Calais, Bethel, and Petterson!!!!!!! We Can and WILL Take This Division BACK!!! What Do you think Darren?

7. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

It doesn’t matter if its Kolb or Skelton. We have to get the O-Line in gear. You can’t build an offense around a QB or any other player if you have no blocking. Personally, both QB’s have their pluses and minuses in my opionion. I am just hoping the line can get it together to give the QB’s time to make a read and get the ball off.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

DontTake —

RE: Toler/Johnson

I would guess they will be around, but I wouldn’t say never with either.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Toler

That is possible.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

cdubbb —

RE: Practice

I didn’t think the practice looked a lot different than normal.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

dstock —

RE: Division

I think if the defense plays like it did down the stretch and they get consistent QB play — doesn’t have to be great, but it has to be better than last year — I think the Cards can make a division run.

12. By canadian redbird on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Re: Cornerback Play

It would be a travesty if we let Toler go and kept Mike Adams. There’s a reason Adams is close to being the leader in tackles game in game out; 5’7″. Bethel can do the same and more on special teams that Money Mike has to offer.

Darren, on a side note what is the cost to the club if the Cards let Kolb go either now or at the end of the season? This was probably the worst trade in Cardinal history and at some point we’ve got to move on and hopefully learn not to buy into the hype of an unknown commodity. Look forward to your reply.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Kolb cut

If I am reading the info correctly, I believe Kolb is $10.5M cap hit now (only has a $1M salary this season). If they cut him, I believe it’d be a $15M cap hit. If they cut him after this season, 2013 hit would still be $6M.

14. By mal on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

It seems like this blog attracts the hysterical types, but my take on the preseason is really pretty positive so far(besides losing Levi).

We have a D that finished near the top of the league last year, and we’ve not lost anybody to free agency, just added pieces. Dan arrived in better shape, the young guns have another year’s experience, and coach got an offseason with them.

Yes, our OL is an on-going question, but we have a young QB who performs great under pressure, with a uncanny knack for winning, who is frikkin 6’6″ and 244lbs! He may be able to work behind this line. The verdict is still out, but Skelton could be that franchise QB we’ve been looking for. He’s got those intangibles that all great ones have. We should feel lucky to have someone like Kolb as a backup, someone who can step in at any time. And with Lindley at #3 — everyone is so consumed by this competition — they dont realize how good we are at QB 1 thru 3. We got the best bunch of tight ends we’ve ever had, 6 real good receivers, a decent fullback and an awesome RB corps.

With the way the punting has gone so far, and PP and Bethel, special teams could be pretty special.

The back half of our schedule this year is brutal. And winning depends so much on luck and health — those are things you cant coach or control — so no one ever knows for sure. Barring injuries,tho, I like how we look this year. This team is serious, motivated, and ready to roll.

15. By Chris Lewis on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

I have to be honest, I was on Kolb’s bandwagon, not anymore. I was really hoping that he would be the starter Arizona paid him to be, but that’s just not happening. I had my doubts about Skelton, but he’s looking better and better. If Skelton can continue to improve and cut down on his mistakes from last year, I admit he could be a really good QB. Kolb is a major disappointment. He can’t stay healthy, and when he is healthy, he looks clueless out there. We can’t have a QB constantly scrambling out of the pocket like he’s running for his life and getting sacked every other play. I truly fear for his safety. If we keep throwing him out there, he’s gonna get seriously hurt. I think it’s time to cut ties and move on. We have Skelton and I also like this young kid Lindley, he has some promise. The Cards’ QB future looks bright, without Kolb of course.

16. By BIG RED on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Just Cut no.4 let him go with his money. Its better to get him off our backs. This was worst then DA.

17. By georgiebird on Aug 20, 2012 | Reply

Whiz has no one to blame but himself for the drawn out QB battle. Once Kolb was signed to the $6.5M extension, the QB decision was either Kolb winning the job quickly or Skelton winning in the proverbial “split decision”. For Whiz to save face, it will be written that Skelton won after a long drawn out battle. The only thing is the team will have suffered.
    And for the way Skelton has been treated, if he ever turns out to be a good QB, the Cards will pay dearly for his services; there will be no hometown discount- unless, of course, Whiz is no longer here.

18. By Marcelof on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Could we ever consider – whether Skelton is named starter – a trade/ cut for Kolb in order to add other pieces?

19. By Vermont Maverick on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird-

Given that John Skelton is a 5th Round draft choice from the football hotbed of FORDHAM, I don’t think he’ll hold it against Whisenhunt for giving him the chance to ultimately become the starting QB for the Arizona Cardinals. Not everybody feels the need to be coddled all the time.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Marcelof —

RE: Kolb move

As I noted in an earlier response, cap hit if you move him one way or the other would make it harder to add pieces, not easier.

21. By Marcelof on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Darren, I hadn’t seen the other response before

22. By Dave Groff on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Ive tried staying as optimistic as possible about Kevin Kolb, but I no longer can make excuses for him. Kolb is NOT the man for the job. Skelton is VERY promising but still needs work. Giving Skelton the starting position wil be exactly what he needs, in a coupe years the Cards will be set with a good QB, great RB;s, Great wideouts, Tremendous special teams, and a solid defense.

Anyone agree or disagree?

23. By cardsalltheway on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

The Kevin Kolb Blueprint has left Ken W. unable to make an obvious decision which hurts the team. Indecision always loses to decisiveness, even rookie head coaches are able to make starting QB decisions after only 2 preseason games. The Titans NEW head coach Mike Munchak was able to choose between Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck, but nooooo, not Ken W.

24. By cardsalltheway on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

“If they cut him, I believe it’d be a $15M cap hit. If they cut him after this season, 2013 hit would still be $6M.”

We don’t have to cut him. But couldn’t we put K. Kolb on the practice squad, would that cost us?

25. By Dynosoar on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

A team has 53 people on the roster. We get 7 draft picks (or fewer depending on trade deals). Over the last few years we’ve added Skelton and Lindley, some wide receivers and running backs and several defensive players. Some of these are also very talented on Special Teams.

We’ve addressed key contracts (Fitzgerald, Wilson, Docket and Campbell to name a few). A few years ago the posts were all crying because Fitzgerald didn’t have someone helping him (loss of Bolden), no decent running backs, no defense worth their salt and no QB (loss of Warner) no good tight ends and yes, the same frustration I’ve seen for over 35 years of watching my Cards, no decent O-line play (actually, it’s probably not always been as bad as we make it sound).

We’ve addressed, through our 7 draft picks each year and what could be done through FA everything except the O-line. Oh wait, we’ve added Colledge, resigned Brown, brought on some rookies for the future (Massie, Kelemte and Potter, Young and Batiste).

It takes a few years to build a great team and a few more for a dynasty and we need to address each need with veterans and rookies who can learn from the veterans. Coach is an engineer, I work in a research lab and trust me, engineers (at least the successful ones) always have short term and long term plans. That’s why he’s not been given the boot as some owners in the league do after one failed season; he is actually building a better team. Look at what he inherited to what we have now. (Not to mention what he’s done with building a great coaching staff around him.)

The O-line will be fixed (probably in next year’s draft and FA market) and with the weapons around the QB play and a defense and Special Teams that can help not only keeping opponents from scoring, but score as well, the O-line we have will suffice and trust me, from watching the progress over the last several years in drafts and FA, it’ll only improve. The nature and rules of the NFL draft and FA and 31 other teams trying to do the same thing we are will not allow for a one year fix. Have patience my friends, look at Coach’s history with the Cards and you’ll see a bigger picture, we’re improving at a faster pace than most teams. Trust Whiz and his formula, it’s still pre-season and I trust we’ll shock the world again this year.

The time of the Cardinals has arrived.

I wish Levi wasn’t injured. He is and trust me, he can still help teach his replacement and we’ll see someone step up and protect our QB.

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Kolb/PS

Please tell me you are not serious.

27. By D on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    Do to the recent events with Levi, do you believe the coaching, draft department and GM feels added pressure from the first round pick that was made in April? Both C. Glenn and Mike Adams, who were on the board for the Cardinals pick, were projected as Right Tackles coming out of college, but both are starting for their respected teams right now as Left Tackles?

28. By zbot on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

i was kind of hoping that Toler would start. (kind of daydreaming over the possibilities even). hope he hangs around long enough to take that starting position back.

29. By Brian on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

For all the people saying to cut Kolb, please please please read the posts Darren spends his time putting together for you…it makes no sense to cut him. If he doesn’t start then at least we have a viable option as a backup in case Skelton goes down with an injury. He’s not a bad locker room guy at all, contrary to what a lot of you want to believe. Besides, he’s already made his money and if you don’t like it I’m sorry but that’s something you are going to have to deal with. If he’s not starting by the end of the season then your wish will come true and he will be cut before his bonus is due next offseason. Until then, find something else to wish for from the organization…

30. By Eric G on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Unless Skelton comes out and throws 2 ints and Kolb throws 2 TDs, the job is all but Skelton’s. Teams know that Kolb has no pocket presence and freaks out too quick so they blitz him and know that he won’t beat them. Until he does, teams will keep it up. They know they can’t do the same with Skelton. I want to like Skelton, but I just can’t. We need to draft a QB next year in the first or second round. I

I thought we should have drafted Foles this year and last night he proved me right. Foles will be a great QB in the NFL,

I hope Skelton can improve his passes and decision making.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: Picks pressure

No. That makes no sense to me. So you are saying you make draft choices now based on injuries that might happen? There was no way to know Levi was going to get hurt.

32. By georgiebird on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

@ Vermont Maverick
    I don’t care where Skelton was drafted & what school he went to.- Whiz is clearly yanking his chain. He is clearly the better QB. Whiz has given him nothing . As a matter of fact, Skelton has done a lot more for Whiz than Whiz has done for Skelton.

33. By joe on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

@georgibird we dont know this is all ken’s fault maybe the owner wanted Kolb maybe they felt fitz would leave if they didnt go for Kolb and believe me id rather have Kolb and fitz then skelton and no fitz but it is hard to defend whiz after the DA debacle all i know is this better be the last season for awhile we have a giant ? at qb

34. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

We are very fortunate to have depth at the QB position. I don’t for a second believe that Whiz can’t make a decision…he is quite an astute observer, scrutinizes play carefully and is experienced at evaluating the bigger picture. I would much rather have a coach than carefully arrives at a decision rather than impulsively makes a choice under pressure from fans. I love the direction the Cards are going. We have some really exciting young talent with enough respected veterans to help the rookies along and stay grounded. I agree, that Skelton has the intangibles to become “THE guy” as a franchise QB with Bartel and Kolb as backups with Lindley continuing his grooming to be brought up when ready. With the large numbers of injuries already ocuring in the preseason, I don’t think it’s smart to kick anyone to the curb, especially at the QB position…look at what happened to Houston and the Colts last year. I do hope we can put up some players to strengthen our 0-line as teams start cutting to 53. The Rams and the Seahawks have been looking better than expected and the NFCWest is going to be a tough but we can do it. Playing the Titans is going to be a great test; we traditionally have been stronger at home in our comfort zone so LET’S GO CARDS! FLY HIGH OVER A CLASH WITH THE TITANS!

35. By DD90 on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren-Do you think Fitz would of left if AZ did not try to sign a starting QB. Unfortunately for AZ Kolb is not a starting QB in the NFL and Andy Reid conned the Cardinal on how great he would be. Fitz was all in for Kolb at the time. At this point we have to let Skelton give it a go and hope the rookie develops. Sounds like more wasted cap space if Kolb is traded ot released so that won’t happen. I’m sure the Cards are now sheepish on any QB available as they got burned in the draft by “Pretzel bones Leinart” and now by “Don’t question my toughness Kolb”. I wish his response would of been filmed as it would of been like the DA blowup. I tries hard to root for Kolb but he just isn’t going to work here. Maybe he is just a west coast QB. Enjoy your millions Kolb.

36. By allen on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

I SAY WE LET KOLB, JOIN MATT LEINART IN THE HOT TUB AND TRADE WELLS & BROWN FOR OLINE TACKLE ?

37. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Kolb can play it cool if he wants but…I say there is no way he is not feeling the heat of this situation.. He was paid a LOT of money to come here and produce like a quality starting QB because that is what he is ( was??? ) supposed to be. To this point, he has done next to nothing to justify the price. The team went hard after Peyton Manning during the off-season and everyone knows Kolb would have been gone if they had succeeded. Now, he is on the verge of losing the starting job to John Skelton. And none of this fazes him? Yeah, right.

And, for the record, I think the job SHOULD be given to Skelton.

38. By Dazed n Confused on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

That is the shortest non-answer I’ve heard yet. Lol.

Seriously, in terms of offense, production, how the any of the units look? Particularly Skeltons unit…?

Thanks

39. By Heads or Tails on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Not to mention I have read a “few” articles on how disappointing Adams and are for their respective teams Pitt and Buf I believe. So Whiz would have gotten hammered had he helped make those picks. Either way, in less your are fortunate enough to inherit a team…your screwed. Heads I win, tails you lose. 1 for the Whiz IMO.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Dazed —

RE: Offense look

Well, Skelton and Kolb have split time with the first unit. I don’t think anyone would say the offense has looked good on the whole. It’s looked a little better when Skelton has been QB, but the passing game overall hasn’t been particularly consistent.

41. By Big Red Fan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I miss Kurt.

That said: I look forward to the next game to see how these guys play. Wating for the o-line to get it going and see if Kolb can win back his job. And the fans.

42. By CORMAC on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@ GeargeBIRD.

Whiz and Skelton… For one, he keeps the Skelton brother on the practice squad, and gives him chances as well as a paycheck. This is purely a reward to John, and he did this before John did anything. Secondly, Whiz is tempering John like a sword. Slow and steady. He is a project of coach Whiz, not some bad ass free agent and owes everything to the man who took a chance on a small school player.

43. By Big Red Fan on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

You know, I think this team is great. I love this team, have loved them since they were in St. Louis, and I think the fire that we saw at the end of last season will be back. Just needs the right spark to make it happen.

44. By Bill L on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Raider News;

Matt Leinart has been impressive in his two showings thus far this preseason. He and Knapp were in Houston together the past two seasons and he is well seasoned in the offense the Raiders are implementing, and it shows. His comfort level is obvious as he has good command of the huddle, and his presence has been outstanding. His guts in the face of the rush are something to be commended as well, and he has shown nice touch and accuracy while also leading the only offensive touchdown drive by the Raiders this preseason.

Maybe it’s not the QB…..maybe it’s the O….concepts, personnel, coaching, etc………..maybe……#1 & #2 for Kolb…..and still searching…. amazing Huh? I have a fix…..change owner, change front office, change coaches, and get some starters on the O line…..Cards remain a joke.

45. By conrad on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Sept. 17, 2012 John Skelton Jersey became avalible to order finally and I did order it because I do belive that he should have come in this season as the starter you can even see the diffrence in the Offensive line demeaner when Skelton comes in they seem to play harder and they show no confidence in Kobb they don’t know where he is at or will be

46. By conrad on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I still love the Cards as a whole I have been behind them since they got here in 1988 and I am still also a season ticket holder and always will be but I would feel better with Skelton at the controls

47. By Kevin S on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Bill L — And Leinart is, still, the backup QB of a not very good team. When someone says the backup QB has been impressive, they usually don’t mean impressive as in Aaron Rodgers impressive, but rather, impressive as in, backup QB impressive. I don’t think Leinart holding down a #2 job for an average team proves anything about the Cardinals’ QB situation. In fact, given all the teams struggling at the QB position in this league each year, one can argue that the fact that the best Leinart could do after being released by the Cardinals is to get backup jobs — and that he was released by Houston after they apparently determined TJ Yates was a better option — suggests the rest of the league doesn’t think Leinart is all that good either.

48. By cardsalltheway on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

conrad,
    “Sept. 17, 2012 John Skelton Jersey became avalible to order finally and I did order it because I do belive that he should have come in this season as the starter…”

Don’t count on it(Skelton starting), you have got to be one of the few to buy AZ Cardinal QB jerseys since Leinart got cut. I mean, why should anyone buy one? Prepare to be disappointed when K. Kolb is announced the starter, but don’t worry Johnny S. will be in soon enough.

49. By Scott H on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

At times, I clealry share your cynacism. But unless Skelton has a bad game of epic proportions tonight or is injured ( God, forgive me for even saying that ), do you REALLY think Kolb could be named the starter at this point? I know that he could given the money he is being paid, but…I would still find it hard to believe.

Darren –

You may have spoken on this ( or maybe you have not wanted to ) but to ask a straight up question – do you think Kolb stays here if Skelton is named the opening day starter? On one hand, i can’t imagine they would cut him given what they have invested. On the other hand, I can’t imagine they would keep him given what they have invested AND what would appear to be a loust situation for him to be in. Would he be released? Would they seek a trade? Geez, I have to wonder what anyone would even give for him at this point…

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Kolb spot as backup

Obviously, Kolb won’t be happy. But he’s been a backup before, I think he’ll handle it a lot better than Leinart would have in 2010, and I don’t think the Cards are going to want to put themselves in the position of 2010 again. Say what you want about Kolb, but he still has a more impressive resume of experience than either Bartel or Lindley. I expect what I expected all along — the winner of the competition is the starter and the loser is the backup.

51. By cornedkolb on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been waiting for SKELTOR since his rookie apperance after HALL the HACK got hurt and DON”T have an ANSWER got boo’d off the feild. Kolb has done nothing to earn his pay check or earn a start IMO. The best thing that came from that train wreck was signing Fritz to a long contract. I just so happened we had to give someone else the money instead of Fritz to keep him happy. I’m ready to see the OL guys step up to the plate and help John Skelator seal the deal.

We just have to suck it up as fans! In a ton of posts, fans were jumping at the bit to get K korn but when that was a bust evreyone’s left wondering why the heck we gave up so much for this guy! All the Levi haters are about to see how hard this position is to fill. If a new guy steps up in the hole, I will be happy too. Be a fan! Pick a team, pick your players, be careful what you wish for, and hang on for the ride!

GO SKELATOR!

P.S. Conrad and Cardsalltheway
    I’ve had an “authentic” 19 Skelton jersey since his rookie season-Thanks to some good freinds while deployed overseas. My new one is SKELATOR! BOLO!