Training camp aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 21, 2012 – 11:46 am

Another year in Flagstaff over. The Cardinals closed out with a lengthy morning session – going about 30 minutes over the scheduled end time prepping for the Titans. As usual, the team had their annual rookie show the last night. In what could have been predicted, receiver LaRon Byrd imitated Larry Fitzgerald in a skit, an impersonation Fitz insisted “it was not an accurate depiction of me at all.”

No one went after coach Ken Whisenhunt this year – Whiz surmised with a smile it was because after pushing the team so hard last week the rookies might have been a little gun shy to take him on – but then he added, “if you can’t laugh at yourself, you can’t have fun.”

“It was a good way to end.”

– The Cardinals will indeed have Beanie Wells Thursday against the Titans. Whisenhunt said he liked how Wells did in practice this week – brief as it was – and will be treated in the game much like Ryan Williams was last week against the Raiders.

“I’m excited to see him in a game,” Whisenhunt said. “There’s no concern with him at all with his health.”

– Linebacker O’Brien Schofield sat out practice again because of his sore knee. Whisenhunt said the Cards will be conservative with Schofield and make sure it doesn’t become a bigger problem. I’d guess Schofield wouldn’t play Thursday. Safety Rashad Johnson (abdomen), cornerback Greg Toler (knee) and fullback Jared Crank (neck) also sat out. Guys like Early Doucet and Todd Heap, who missed practice yesterday, were back.

– Linebacker Daryl Washington will miss the game because of the death of his grandmother.

– The Cards aren’t going to miss dorm life or dorm beds, but they will miss the mild temperatures. Practicing in Tempe is a whole different world this time of year.

“When we come down the hill after this time I know they are in good shape because of the altitude,” Whisenhunt said. “Getting adjusted to the heat takes a little bit. We’ll make sure we go through our routine with the tents and the fans and hopefully they’ll adjust quickly.”

– Whisenhunt praised the big crowds during camp. “It seems like there were more people,” Whisenhunt said.

– A lot happened over the last month, between the ongoing QB battle to the Hall of Fame game to a side trip to Missouri to Levi Brown’s injury. That’s all in the rear view. The team goes to Tennessee tomorrow and the regular season will be here soon.

“It was a good camp,” Whisenhunt said. “But now we have to take the next step.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Training camp aftermath”

1. By Secret on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren! Can you tell us a little more about the skit Byrd did about Fitz? It sounds like a very funny imitation.

2. By jskeleton on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Is there any hope to see Groves and Brandon making the 53 man roster?

3. By cardsalltheway on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Is that so? For some reason I’m concerned!

4. By joe on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

“Whisenhunt praised the big crowds during camp. “It seems like there were more people,” Whisenhunt said.” I don’t know if you intended that to be funny D U but I cant stop laughing.

5. By Rio on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

coach wiz pick leinart ove Warner a couple years ago , he had to play Warner after Matt failed and Warner lit it up at Baltimore.

Coach does the same thing every year he just cannot made a decision and doens’t know any thing about QB’ s he is lost when it come to them

Less get rid of him, and grimm too.

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Skit

I didn’t see it. Fitz briefly mentioned it.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Skelton —

RE: Groves/Brandon

Yes, there is hope.

8. By Corgon on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

did the team practiced more the no huddle offense as last year? The previous season it seemed, it could be a great weapon in our hands, but needed more practice time.

And one more question. Why don’t the QB’s throw more often to M.Floyd? He has only 2 reception in 3 pre season games and I remember one dropped ball. There isn’t any playcalling to his direction, or the team can’t execute the plays which are intended the ball to his hands? And if it’s the playcalling then what is the reason?
    Thanks.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Corgon —

RE: No huddle/Floyd

1) I think they’ll do more of that after they settle on a starter.

2) It’s the preseason, without gameplanning. Fitz only has two catches too. I don’t think that means they aren’t going to throw him the ball.

10. By t.stone on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

By the sound of this article I have surmised that you were not there at the end of training camp Darren. Thanks for the no info.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

T.Stone —

RE: Post

I’m not sure why you say that. No matter. Thanks for coming.

12. By Richard Harris on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren
    How come you always refer to the coach as “Wisenhunt”? To me that shows disrespect. Call him Coach, or Coach Whiz, or Coach Whisenhunt.

13. By Corgon on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: No huddle/Floyd

Yes, but everybody knows what Fitz capable of. He would have more than 1000 yrds even with me under the center. But Floyd is a rookie. I know i’d be very curious if I was the coach wnat he can do in sharp situation before take him in/out the roster.
    So he should be that good or that bad at the practices or the plays doesn’t worked out at the games. Or….I don’t know :) It’s just interesting for me. I’m wondering what could be his opinion about this.

14. By Adrian on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Is Steve Skelton going to be on the practice squad again? Or does he have a chance to make the roster?

15. By MC on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Wow…..tough crowd. What are your thoughts on LaRon Byrd. I love what I’ve seen out of this kid. He goes up and gets it, he seems like a force and at 6′ 4″ 225lbs with speed and hands does he a)make the team ? b) get on the field ? I’ve seen Stephen Williams light it up in 2 previous camps and not get any reps so was wondering what you think…..The one negative comment I’ve read was an incorrect route. He looks like a difference maker who will get scooped up quickly if delegated to PS…………. Thoughts ?

16. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Somers reported yesterday that this could be the last training camp at NAU with current contract now expired.
    Seems more and more teams are getting away from getting away; while I know Whisenhunt prefers the separation, cuz he believes it bringing cohesiveness.
    Thoughts Darren, on practicing in Flagstaff, Tempe or Prescott, which held camp a few years back?
    Personally, I LOVE the Flagstaff site.

17. By Chuck 1 on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

lt. stone,

Snarky, I would say. Best to keep those type of thoughts/comments to yourself. It you don’t like what Darren writes, go somewhere else.

Richard Harris,

You should take a reading comprehension class. If you notice, Darren first referred to “Whiz” in the blog as COACH Whisenhunt. Throughout the rest of the article, he dropped the COACH That shows DISRESPECT???

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Adrian —

RE: Steve Skelton

Long shot. If the other four TEs are healthy, I don’t see them keeping him, even on the practice squad.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

MC —

RE: Byrd

He has had a good camp. Curious to see how he does the next two games. I don’t know if he could make PS or not. I don’t see him getting that much playing time regardless though.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Flagstaff

I like going to Flagstaff, better than other local options. We’ll see if they can get something worked out.

21. By azfiremagoo on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

D, Mr. D, coach D I mean Mr Urban. See much in the way of screen plays practiced in flag? suspect OL could benefit from a good screen game which is not necessarily synonymous Cardinals football! You keeping 4 safeties bethel rashad as backups? And CB feels like it should be PP, Gay starting with Toler (if healthy) AJ, Fleming. Love Adams but I have said before if he was 6′ would be a stud but he is what he is and time to move on?

22. By brad oneill on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

the fear of losing someone from the practice squad is pretty silly, I mean there are 32 other teams that all are trimming down to 53 people and all have practice squads of their own, in order to steal one of our guys that would mean they would have to cut one of theirs. I know it happens but I just dont think its something you can worry about as a fan, If one of our guys gets a shot to be on a roster be happy for them and move on, they wouldnt be there if we didnt have 3 people ahead of them on the depth chart.

23. By Bryth on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

How has Nate Potter been doing? Havent heard much about him so Im assuming he’s not turning any heads. And he is considered a LT right?

24. By buddy ball wins on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I guess with 2013 being an option year is this it do or die for whiz aka wisnenhunt? And what team has the most left tackles and could let one go?

25. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Richard Harris,
    How does “Ken W.” sound?

26. By cardsalltheway on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Mr. Warner, ~ Must Read
    Kurt Warner on Kevin Kolb: “He’s not pulling the trigger”

“Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner said he was concerned about the lack of progress from Kolb, and wonders if he has the confidence in himself to succeed.
    “I’ve been in games when it’s hard to get the game to slow down, and it’s not a fun place to be,” Warner said. “Everything looks like a jumbled mess. Sometimes you’re nervous, sometimes you’re anxious.”

cont…

“When I watch him on film, it looks like he’s looking in the right spots. But that doesn’t mean he’s seeing it, or that he’s seeing what I’m seeing. But he’s looking at it and not letting the ball go. What’s causing that?”…
    “That makes Kolb nothing short of an embarrassing and expensive blunder, one that’s going to take the Cardinals years to recover from.”

I agree with the “take the Cardinals years to recover from” and I’d rather do it without Ken W. at the helm because the Seasons Are Burning.

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

azfire —

RE: Questions

1) I don’t see them run a ton of screens, but it’s about ordinary for most camps.

2) I see four safeties. But Sanders is in the mix.

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Bryth —

RE: Potter

Yes, he is a LT. And he’s pretty raw right now.

29. By vegas4u2012. on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@ yo harris.Because he’s darren & your richard!

30. By clssylssy on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

I love what I’ve seen of Steve Skelton. He has made some good plays, is physical and unafraid. With all the injuries that are afflicting the teams throughout the league, I would say the teams with the best depth will be the ones left standing come playoff time. I sure wish they would get this mess with the refs cleared up and I don’t know how the league can expect anyone to take them seriously about player safety as long as they don’t have topnotch officials on the field. Plus, I would think a lot of games whose outcome was suspect would be open for appeal…not quite sure how that will work but suspect the NFL will cover themselves if they don’t get this situation resolved. I think having Camp in Flagstaff has been a mutually beneficial agreement for both the team and the city of Flagstaff and agree with Coach Whiz about the need to provide an atmosphere that promotes team building. I see MJD is looking for a new home…any chance the Cards would consider picking him up?

31. By big papa on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    What happened to Brandon Keith. If he was starting over Bridges prior to going out last year wouldn’t he be a better choice again then rookies-all ready knows coaching and playbook. I did not see him signed with another team.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Big papa —

RE: Keith

He’s been hurt and I’m not sure he’s ready. I wouldn’t rule it out but not likely right now.

33. By Kevin S on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway — I saw the Bickley article in the AZ Republic that includes some of Warner’s comments you quote above. But let’s be clear about what you’re putting in quotes though. The comment about Kolb being “nothing short of an embarrassing and expensive blunder, one that’s going to take the Cardinals years to recover from” was NOT made by Warner. It was made by the writer of the story you are quoting, who (a) has been covering the Panthers for the past decade-plus, and (b) is of course, like many sportswriters, going to make opinionated, controversial comments because that’s what they do. I suspect I can find some writers or bloggers who say things like “The Cardinals aren’t going anywhere with John Skelton” and I know I can find DOZENS of articles at the time Kolb was signed hailing the signing. I think Warner’s comments are insightful. The last sentence you quote is just a writer piling on.

34. By sackman on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Titans are a good team this year.

Do you think this pre-season game will tell how good we are going to be?
    I like the way we played last week, but this game is better telling of what we really have. The starters are going to be out there alot longer this time and I am more concerned about injuries. Pre-season to me is more about finding out who are starters are going to be and finding the best 53 players. But the most important is having the least amount of injuries going into the start of the season. I am concerned that since we haven’t named our quarterback yet, we might subject ourselves to more injuries leaving our starters out there longer that what the should. Any thoughts?

By the way I liked the way Kurt Warner analyzed how 1 of our quarterbacks has/haven’t progressed.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

sackman —

RE: Preseason

I think the starters will play more, but there still won’t be a full game plan or scheme from either side. It can only tell you so much.

36. By Msdmf on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

If Kolb gets the starter position it will mean a first round pick in 2013 draft. It ain’t bad at all ( as long as they pick a QB instead of protection to the long-time-gone QB KK )

2. Aug 21, 2012: Pro Football Zone – Ken Wisenhunt not concerned about Beanie Wells’ knee
  3. Aug 21, 2012: Beanie Wells to play Thursday | Fantasy Chow